Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 4945 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:41 AM
Enough Hollywood Butchery!!!
Cat-woman, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Last Airbender--It ends now!
When Hollywood tries and fails, we give the consolation "at least they tried" award. When they try to remake epic shows without good directing, cast or sound script; and do it repeatedly; you begin to wonder how could they stray so far from decency.
For me, Airbender was the last straw (and I hope it was also the straw that broke Shyamalan's career). I cringe when I think of my legendary Thundercats and how crap-tacular Hollywood will make it just to make a quick buck as opposed to a lot of bucks--which they seem to be doing more of these days. True, we have our Hot Tub Time Machine and occasional Avatar. But how often? Hollywood's policy used to be 1) plan for failure, 2) do whatever it take to make it better, 3) release. Is everyone in Hollywood skipping step #2?
Pluto Nash lost 95 million dollars at the theaters. With the crap Hollywood is dishing out, it seems like they want to surpass that number. True, no individual film has lost that. Cumulatively though, they may have hit or even surpassed that disaster.
Hollywood it your listening: Go back to the good ol' days. You don't have to go all the way back to Silver-screen, just go back to when you had ideas and capable people to put them on paper, and even better people to show them through film. You don't even need Hollywood grandeur to star in them. Good idea, great writers, a notable director--that's it! Do this and instead of fast money, you'll rake in money to cover production fees and have a surplus. Don't and enjoy bankruptcy.
I hope that doesn't happen. Unless, you keep substituting fast money over good quality.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:49 AM
i want to say something along the lines of horrible hollywood directors/producers being the product of incestuous relations, but i feel it would be too accurate.

case in point:
dragonball evolution.

its just so...white washed.
and too much flash, not enough substance. people are relying on special effects to take up the slack from bad acting; it aint workin.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Scholar
#3 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 8:37 AM
Hollywood doesn't have the talent to make the kind of movies that can accurately revisit the 'good ol' days.' It's human error wanting to fix something that shouldn't be fixed. It's to insure that everyone loves it, and there is where they shoot themselves. When something is brought back we want it to be as close to the original as possible without fail. It's very difficult when the spirit of the material has been lost or forgotten through changing times.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoosh Malooka
Hollywood doesn't have the talent to make the kind of movies that can accurately revisit the 'good ol' days.' It's human error wanting to fix something that shouldn't be fixed. It's to insure that everyone loves it, and there is where they shoot themselves.

I agree, they feel the need to make everything so literal and try to remove all ambiguity. It's like they think that people won't get the true meaning unless they spell it out to them.
Scholar
#5 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbalena
I agree, they feel the need to make everything so literal and try to remove all ambiguity. It's like they think that people won't get the true meaning unless they spell it out to them.

Unfortunately, they believe this needs to be done for fear that the message will go right over the heads of their viewers. It feels insulting when they bold, underscore, italicize and rally the music score to a halt so that somewhat clever lines can drop the bomb
and finish off with not so subte demands in a change of action.

Hollywood thinks their job is to overdue tunnel rides, exposions and sparks, impossible feats of physical ballet, and saturate whole sections with droves of extras. To make everything grossly over the top, chanting suspension of disbelief.

Do they not realize that the more they try harder, faster, and bigger to impress us we can easily rebel against it and tune it out? And that's why we call it lame. Big effects for action and from under the rug, what's left of the story.
Instructor
#6 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 3:07 PM
The good thing about Hollywood now is that I can save a lot of money. I used to go to the cinema three or four times in a month. But in the last two years, I went only to two movies and even those were disappointing. So, my bank account would like to thank Hollywood for improving my financial situation, thank you, guys

And another good thing about it, it made me appreciate the old Hollywood classics even more, especially those shot in black and white. No erotic scenes, not enough explosions, no CGI, no teenage beauties slaughtered by a chainsaw... just a good script, clever dialogues and great actors. The new Hollywood needs to look back and learn a lesson or two from people like Billy Wilder. Until then, I'll keep on saving my money
Scholar
#7 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 2:19 AM
"Sir, I just don't think this script is very god."
"But it has a shit-ton of expensive special effects!"
"WELL DAMN, RELEASE THAT SHIT TOMORROW."

I'll admit that a ton of special effects does not necessarily make a movie bad- District 9 and Coraline were great. But flashy action, tits, guns, explosions, slapstick, nutshots, The Jonas Brothers, Edward Cullen, annoying pseudo hipster journalists, snarky children, RemakesRemakesRemakes, standardized animation, humping dogs, high moms, racist robots, giant transformer balls, etc don't make a movie good- in fact, they make it 30 times worse.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 10:48 PM
Are my eyes lying to my brain? There is a Smurfs 2011 trailer here: http://www.nationofhiphop.net/film-...189-smurfs.html. If this is authentic... my goodness. With the exception of using claymation, this is exactly what the industry would do - modify the Smurf song to a hip hop beat, redesign their physical attributes from scratch, morph the language into a catchphrases, and mangle the roots with a voice cast of comedians and a painful-to-the-eyes gimmick. Get your duo tints ready, the Smurfs are thundering en mass and will land in New Yohk park in 3D. Smurf life to the illest, mothersmurfers!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 8:45 AM
I just wish they would stop butchering great novels with shitty movies. And stop with the excessive use of 3D. Movies are perfectly alright without the characters jumping out of the screen at you.
Scholar
#10 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 5:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoosh Malooka
Are my eyes lying to my brain? There is a Smurfs 2011 trailer here: http://www.nationofhiphop.net/film-...189-smurfs.html. If this is authentic... my goodness. With the exception of using claymation, this is exactly what the industry would do - modify the Smurf song to a hip hop beat, redesign their physical attributes from scratch, morph the language into a catchphrases, and mangle the roots with a voice cast of comedians and a painful-to-the-eyes gimmick. Get your duo tints ready, the Smurfs are thundering en mass and will land in New Yohk park in 3D. Smurf life to the illest, mothersmurfers!

Wow. Is that a joke. because that's incredibly moronic.

If I had kids, I'd never let them see that idiotic piece of crap.

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Alchemist
#11 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 6:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixCii
I just wish they would stop butchering great novels with shitty movies. And stop with the excessive use of 3D. Movies are perfectly alright without the characters jumping out of the screen at you.

this..this...thiiiiissssssss.

3D just makes me feel like i ingested some LSD somewhere along the course of my day.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Fucking Awesome Nutbag
DELETED POST
18th Jul 2010 at 9:43 AM
This message has been deleted by Damocles. Reason: Inception
Scholar
#12 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 5:18 PM
Hollywood butchering or doing retreads is not exactly a new thing. They made plenty of schlock in the golden years of Hollywood considering the studios would crank out 30 to 40 movies a year. The bad ones just didn't stand the test of time so you simply don't see them now.

Some classic stories seem to get revisited in almost every generation, just how many versions of Dracula exist? Not counting the subsequent sequels, parodies and so forth there must be more than a dozen versions of the original Bram Stoker story.

What kills me is when they decide to remake a "classic" film. A film that in itself is a considered to be a true work of art, to me this is the equivalence of a painter repainting the Mona Lisa so it will appeal to a younger more modern generation.

I can think of many examples of this but I will stick to two.

The first is the the recent remake of "Psycho" by Gus Van Sant. I can't even imagine how this concept was pitched or what drugs the studio exec that greenlighted it must have been on. Even worse than simply remaking the movie they didn't even re visualize it, it was shot frame for frame the same as the original movie. Why? Would have been wiser to spend the money restoring the original and then releasing it on the big screen, like they did with other classic films such as "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Spartacus". I know I would have shelled out $10 bucks to see the Hitchcock film in all it's glory on a big screen and I've seen it at least 20 times in my life.

The second is a lessor know film that was recently remade and butchered called "The Women". The original film is shot in a play style format and other than the fact of it having a stellar cast it's big shocker at the time was that there were no men seen in the movie. The problem I have with this is that the movie itself is a product of it's times. Meaning the subject matter of the storyline could not be portrayed in modern society. The original is from 1939 and is really one of the early indicator's of the changes that were coming for women in society. So rather than being an empowering movie they rewrote it to fit in with the current times and turned it into a schlocky sitcom of a movie.

I'm not a fan of the action film so I tend to simply avoid those and the current 3D epidemic really needs to stop. You know of course that there has long been talk of remaking "Gone with the Wind" maybe they will do it in 3D.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 6:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles
How hard is it to avoid those movies? This is a list of the last five (new) movies I've seen:
  • Shutter Island
  • Green Zone
  • Invictus
  • The Book of Eli
  • The Time Traveler's Wife

How many of those could be considered bad? One. The Book of Eli. And it was not that bad, in fact it was average, to me.

Follow this pattern and you will never be disappointed again. The next movie within the next couple of weeks will be Inception.

Not Knight and Day, not Shrek 3D, not Eclipse, but Inception.

You've only got yourself to blame if you watch dumb movies.

I agree. But i think that problem is with the lack of good movies that are out anymore. Hollywood producers and directors seem to enjoy making shit-fests.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 2:32 PM
And the crap-fest continues!
Just finished watching the trailer on TV for Resident Evil 4: Afterlife....Seriously Hollywood! Is a new idea too much to ask for?
This brings up another point: Unnecessary sequels.
I enjoyed Saw. Saw 2--meh. Saw 3--okay you have your trilogy, enough already! No that wasn't enough. They made 4,5, and 6. And surprise-surprise, nothing new. Scratch that, my mistake. Because of 4,5,6 they did do something new; the thriller is now a yawner.
Remember Final Destination? (Not THE final destination, that was the fourth installment). They had 1, 2, 3 and recently, 4, which caused the original to suffer. Because when you've seen the same storyline again and again, it ruins the originality and thrill of the first so badly that you end up selling it.
Now Resident Evil was never a blockbuster. Still, Hollywood thinks: It has great effects, how can it not be a good film? Simple.
All effects, no script. But did they learn? Milla Jovoich's return as the undead slayer is proof that they not only haven't learned, they don't want to. Instead, they want to deliberately lure gullible moviegoers inside to buy a ticket, by promoting the hell out of it and even tantalizing you by slapping a 3D sticker on it. DO NOT BE FOOLED. 3D crap is still crap!
Moviegoers, if you are sick of this as I am, tell Hollywood by your absence at crappy movies that we're not gonna take it anymore!
And if you are not sure what's worth seeing and what isn't, ask around, ask a friend who saw it, check the net and see what legitimate critics say.
And Hollywood, let me close by saying this: I am a blue-collar worker. If i did my job half-assed and did it as constantly as you do, I would be in the unemployment line. I don't care how rich and powerful you think you are, anymore half-assery or deliberate crap and maybe a spot will open up for you in the unemployment line.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 12:35 AM
...And another one bites the dust.

http://www.moviechronicles.com/cowboy-bebop/

Boy, they're gonna screw my man Spike all up.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 3:53 AM
All I have to say, is if they mess with 'The Hobbit', I'm gonna kill someone. (('The Hobbit' was the book before 'The Lord of The Rings' books.))

I don't see why so many people still think 3D is still terrible. Its not that bad any more, its actually awesome if you go to the right theaters, in my opinion.

While were on the discussion of 3D being horrible, compare today's 3D with the '3D' affects of 'JAWS: 3D'.

What the Golden Army really was: Ginormous alarm clocks who wanted to kill you!
Scholar
#18 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 4:16 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_1866...-look-same.html

I was reading that article today. The color thing is so obvious I don't know why I didn't notice it before.

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
4th Oct 2010 at 9:15 PM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Scholar
#19 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 3:04 AM
One main thing that annoys me is how Hollywood has to make a remake of great foreign horror films (lets say asian horrors, spanish, etc) and making it so bad. I agree on the whole "dont fix something thats not broken". What is this? Are they making it so Americans can understand a foreign film better? By adding american actors and including a sex scene in every film?

I like foreign horror films because they are actually scary, even if Im reading subtitles through the whole thing.. but sometimes I watch a remake just to be curious, and its always disappointing

Dont get me wrong, theres american horror movies that I actually like, just not many nor are they remakes.

And just curious on your opinion..
Why do you think sequels to movies tend to be get worse after each of them? If it even lasts past the 2nd one..
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 3:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzybum
And just curious on your opinion..
Why do you think sequels to movies tend to be get worse after each of them? If it even lasts past the 2nd one..

Becdause they try too hard to top the original. As if they could. they pack more of whatever they think makes the original film special, and end up screwing it up. Sometimes all a sequel needs is a good storyline.

Section jump