Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 4825 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 5:11 PM
Default Retexturing hair?
Yes, I see the hair basics tutorial, but...I have no idea how to simply retexture a Sims 3 hair. I can't seem to find one in the tutorials list. Is there one out there?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 5:36 PM
Not that I've found.... The way that I do it is kinda embarrassing but I'll lead you through it, I basically taught myself :P

1. Make sure you understand the basics of TSRW or CTU or S3PE 2. find your new texture, you can find some at GoS that people have posted or you can extract one using S3PE or TSRW or CTU whatever
3. Depending on where you got your texture from it probably doesn't cover the entire hair, if you extracted one try to find a hair that has a texture that goes most or all of the way up and down, then copy the big part and paste it so that the texture is continuous, then save that
4. Open the hair that you want to retexture, then paste your new texture
5. This is where it gets a bit different I use GIMP and so I have no clue how Photoshop and other programs work
6. Look at the layers tap you should see the original texture and the texture you just pasted, now click on the filters tab just a little above that (I'm pretty sure it's called filters)
7. There'll be a big drop down of effects, play around and see which one you like best, you can do it multiple times
8. Once the texture looks how you want save as a DDS file in a DXT3 compression with midmaps
9. Put back into the hair file
10. There are already tutorials out there for the speculator and control map

I'm not saying that it's the best way but it's how I do it :/

Hi I'm Paul!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 9:27 PM
Grah! Thanks for this! I'm getting stuck when it comes to textures....I'm not sure how to extract them, because I open the package in S3PE and all I get are a bunch of instance numbers. I don't see DDS files anywhere, nor am I sure how to get to them. That hair basics tutorial isn't helping at all....
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#4 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:41 PM
The DDS files are listed as _IMG in S3PE, and you acn preview them with the View DDS button at the bottom of the window.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 7:50 AM
Ok, I found the DDS files. Now...what's the next step? Do I somehow extract them and put them back into the package after editing them in photoshop? I do know how to EDIT the textures...I'm just not sure how to take them out and get them back in again, or which IMG files I'm supposed to mess with.

Color me stumped. >__<
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:11 PM
In S3PE, right click the _IMG, hit Export... to file, don't change the name, and edit the resulting DDS.

If you want your retexture to replace the original hair, and the original is a custom hair, then rightclick the _IMG again in S3PE and hit Replace, replace it with your edited DDS. Save and voila.
If you want your retexture to replace the original hair, and the original hair is an EA hair, then open S3PE, go File -> New, and import the DDS (or DDSes) without changing the details.

If you don't want to replace the hairs, it gets a bit more complicated - for EA hair you can clone the hair in CTU and then import your DDS in the Textures tab. For custom hair it's more complex, as I don't know exactly what you'd need to reinstance.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.

Section jump