Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 9:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions
Default Ceilings are (almost) fully black
Hi everyone. I noticed that when I switch to Camera mode, and I go into my houses, all the ceilings are totally black. Here's a pic:

so, what may I do? Ask me everything you need to know to help me. One thing's for sure is that I have absolutely no CC.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 10:18 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue. Please post your system specs - instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.

If it is not specifically asked, please provide the Quick summary only.

Well my first 2 guesses would be either a graphics problem or a EA Bug/Glitch, betting on the latter.
Go ahead and post a "Quick Summary" of your specs using the guide above so we can check them.

Now, if I'm correct and it's a Bug/Glitch:
1. Does this occur to all ceilings?
2. Does this occur to all houses or just a select house?
3. Does it occur if you remove the roof?
4. Does it occur if you switch the roof type?
5. Does it affect any other items (walls, doors, windows, etc)?
6. Which games do you have and what is your game version?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 10:33 PM
here you are!

==System==
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
System Manufacturer: It gives me "System manufacturer" only... never noticed before!
System Model: P5QL PRO
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 1221MB used, 2718MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

==Display==
Name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9442)
Approx. Total Memory: 1024.0 MB
Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6973 (English)
Driver Date: 7/2/2009 19:24:44

==Sound==
Description: Realtek HD Audio output
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5745 (English)
Date: 11/25/2008 10:37:50

==Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives==
Drive: C:
Free Space: 82.4 GB
Total Space: 476.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: SAMSUNG HD502IJ

and, here are the answers to your questions:
1. Yes, it does.
2. Every single house.
3. Well, if I remove the floor of the upper story, the ceiling disappears.
4. I can have a ceiling only with a floor above, can't I?
5. Nope, at all.
6. I have TS3 Base, WA, LS & Am, updated with the latest patch.
Instructor
#4 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 11:45 PM
The lights that are found in debug cause this. I often place the debug ceiling lights when I am building to have a bright room. The ceilings always appear black until I delete them. Once I do everything is back to normal.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 8:31 AM
but I haven't placed any of that! what should I do?
Instructor
#6 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 9:12 AM
I apologize I should have said the lights in buydebug could be causing this. If you haven't used any of them then that is definitely not the cause. I hope someone can assist you in resolving this.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 3:57 PM
Chances are you have used a custom ceiling on that level somewhere. Second, you are attempting to use camera mode when 1 or more levels are present.
The simple work around is to only make the level, you want to take pictures of, visible. Then enter camera mode and the ceiling should be fine.
Example: if you wish to take a picture of a room on the ground floor, make sure the ground floor is the only level visible before entering camera mode.
If you make the second floor also visible, the ceiling on the first floor will appear dark or black. This is a Bug/Glitch
The trick is to set the camera lower than the ceiling in order to see the ceiling in camera mode. Hope this explains well enough and fixes it for you
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 5:29 PM
well, one thing is sure: I have absolutely no CC (Custom Ceiling, lol) and no custom texture at all. I also tried to set the highest level visible the one which I needed, but nothing changed. Any guesses why this occurs only when in camera mode?