Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:53 AM
Default Custom thumbnails for eyebrows?
Hey y'all! I just made some new eyebrows and I've been trying to get a custom thumbnail for it! Nothing I've been doing is working though. Is it even possible? I've tried adding the thumbnail in CTU and making sure I hit commit. I've tried deleting the cache's. I've also tried changing the instance number from X0000001 to X0000000 I think it is. But no luck so far! Anybody know what I might be doing wrong? They are really nice eyebrows and I'd like to share them, but it kind of sucks not being able to find them easily once in the game, ya know!

Curvalicious Sims 2 (My website, only sims 2 stuff currently)Curvalicious Sims2

For more great content check out PMBD

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:55 AM
Mmk, So in CTU, you have to start a new project, add your thumbnails and textures, and then save, plus delete CASThumnails.package or whatever. \

You can also open your project in TSRW and add a thumb there without starting a new project. Good luck!

(Sorry I missed you on the chat btw xD)
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:56 AM
haha! Sweet! Thanks for the info! I'm gonna go try it out and report back! So deleting casthumbnails.package is safe?

Instructor
#4 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:58 AM
Yes, it just makes the game regenerate all of the thumbnails, so they might take a bit longer to load the first time. The game remakes the package though after you have loaded it again.

You're welcome!
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:30 AM
dang. for some reason my eyebrows aren't showing up in the game now. I tried using the tsrw. I guess I'll have to try CTU again and then delete the thumbnails again. So am I understanding this right, my custom thumbnail wont show up until the second time I restart the game after deleting the thumbnails or will it show as soon as I delete the thumbnails and start the game? I'm kind of confused on that point! :0) Thanks for taking the time to help me! I really appreciate it!

Instructor
#6 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:41 AM
Actually, if you make a new package using TSRW or CTU, the game should make a new thumbnail. If you save over an old package, it will use the old cached thumbnail. I believe so anyway.

And yeah, TSRW sometimes does that. ;/
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 8:17 AM
well, I tried making a new package using the CTU and deleted the thumbnails again. but still no luck. At least the eyebrows are showing, but it's the same game generated thumbnail, not my custom one! Anything else I could try?

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 8:38 AM
The way I got this to work was by adding my eyebrow thumbnails to my package manually, with s3pe. I used three thumbnails, all .png images of different sizes. All have the same instance ID as the eyebrow CASP, and group ID 00000000. The type ID depends on the dimensions:

626f60cc - 32x32
626f60cd - 128x128
626f60ce - 256x256

You could also try looking in the CASthumbnails.package after the game generates its own thumbnails, find and extract them, edit them to what you want, and add them to your package. I've done this to make custom clothing thumbs but don't know for sure if it works with eyebrows.
Instructor
#9 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 12:56 PM
When you make a new package, you have to start again from your original eyebrow base game cas part. Then you add your textures to it, recategorize, add thumbnail. Then save as. It does not work if you simple make a new package using your package that you already made without thumbnail.

You can come in the chat and we can troubleshoot/help you with S3PE if needed.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 3:24 PM
You shouldn't need to add the thumbnails in S3PE, or do them before saving in CTU - just make sure that the instance in S3PE is the same for the THUM and the CASP, and the group might have to change from ...0000 to ...0001 or the other way round. If you want to attach your package file here I can probably fix it - I haven't done custom thumbnails for eyebrows before, but I've done them for most other things.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
The way I got this to work was by adding my eyebrow thumbnails to my package manually, with s3pe. I used three thumbnails, all .png images of different sizes. All have the same instance ID as the eyebrow CASP, and group ID 00000000. The type ID depends on the dimensions:

626f60cc - 32x32
626f60cd - 128x128
626f60ce - 256x256

You could also try looking in the CASthumbnails.package after the game generates its own thumbnails, find and extract them, edit them to what you want, and add them to your package. I've done this to make custom clothing thumbs but don't know for sure if it works with eyebrows.

Yay! I don't know if I did it right, but I did get my custom thumbnail to show up. I extracted the CASthumbnails and found my eyebrows and replaced the image with my custom thumbnail. It is showing up in CAS. But I'm wondering, will it show up in other peoples cas as my custom thumbnail? Also, if I delete the CASthumbnails.package will my custom thumbnail go back to being the one generated by the game?

I think I have a little more experimenting to do. But I'm so happy to finally have made some progress! Thank you so much for posting!

Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emhpb
When you make a new package, you have to start again from your original eyebrow base game cas part. Then you add your textures to it, recategorize, add thumbnail. Then save as. It does not work if you simple make a new package using your package that you already made without thumbnail.

You can come in the chat and we can troubleshoot/help you with S3PE if needed.

Every time I have made a new package, not using the old one. I open up CTU, pick my categories, then I click on the add new design. When I click on Add new design, I've tried both (Add new blank and Copy All From Base), is there one I should be clicking, or does it even matter? Then I change the face overlay with my custom eyebrows. Add my custom thumbnail, click commit and then save. Am I missing a step?

Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
You shouldn't need to add the thumbnails in S3PE, or do them before saving in CTU - just make sure that the instance in S3PE is the same for the THUM and the CASP, and the group might have to change from ...0000 to ...0001 or the other way round. If you want to attach your package file here I can probably fix it - I haven't done custom thumbnails for eyebrows before, but I've done them for most other things.

I might take you up on that. Here's the file. I just added a basic thumbnail. It's by no means my finished thumb, I just made something really fast just to see if it'd show. I'd really appreciate it to see if the custom thumb shows up in your game! Maybe by looking at it you can see what I did wrong?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Jessica2020Eyebrows001725.rar (449.9 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:42 PM
Oh - if you've got it working using Cmar's method, you're nearly there already. Just extract the THUM you replaced from CASThumbnails.package (don't change the name), then open your eyebrows in CTU and hit Import -> From File and pick the file you exported from CASThumbnails.package. If you didn't change the filename, it'll fill in all the details for you, and that's it - save and you're done.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:46 PM
oh swweeet!!!!! thanks whiterider!!! Ima go try that out!! I hope it works!

Sockpuppet
#16 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:40 AM
This is how did it(when using CTU)

*Create your package from scratch, do not add a custom thumbnail.
*Save your file in your creation folder(not the packages folder)and leave CTU open after you have saved your file.
*duplicate(copy) the file into your packages folder(Leave CTU open!)
*Boot the game and go to your custom eyebrows in CAS(Leave CTU open!)
*The game will generate the thumbnails
*Open the thumbnailfolder with Postal
*Extract the thumbnails and save em
*Edit the thumbnails with your logo and save em
*Go back to CTU and import the the custom thumbnails
*Again save your package using save as and overwrite the one in your packages folder

This method will always work, no errors
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:54 AM
Yesss!! This totally works!! Would anybody be willing to download my eyebrows to make sure if the custom thumb shows up in their game? Thank you again whiterider!!!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Jessica_2020_Eyebrows_001.rar (463.5 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content

Inventor
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:05 AM
I just want to say how I did it if there's anybody that is looking to do this as well with eyebrows, all in one post!

-Create your package using CTU (Do not add a custom thumbnail)
-Save your package
-Go into the game to see what your thumbnail looks like that the game generated
-Open SimPE and extract the CASThumbnail.package
-Find your thumbnail, replace it with your new custom image (I found that the eyebrows use 128X128, so make sure your thumbnail is that size in .png, if not it won't show up right!)
-save
-then export as a file.
-close the CASThumbnails.package
-open your package
-Go to import file, and import the file you just exported!
-Voila! Done! Thanks to whiterider for the tips on how to do this! I was starting to pull my hair out trying to get this done!

Base1980- Next eyebrows I make, I will try your method out and see if that works for me also! thanks!

Instructor
#19 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 5:55 AM
Well I'm glad you found something that works! And you should have to do any extracting of the game generated thumbnail in base1980's steps if you use the size of it. You might want to extract the game generated logo ONCE, back it up, and use it as a reference for all of your future eyebrow thumbnails? Then you can do what base1980 or I said to do, which I find much easier. But whatever method works.

I'm downloading your file to test for you.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#20 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:00 PM
I was going to say that the only missing part was to add your thumbnails to YOUR package, not the CASthumbnails, but you beat me to it.

I find it faster and easier to add the thumbs using S3PE rather than CTU, but that's me. emhpb is right in the post above, but the reason someone might want to extract the CAS-generated thumbs is if you want to use the game-generated image and add a custom logo or signature, which is what I've used them for.
Sockpuppet
#21 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:56 PM
Same here, i like the ones the game generates.
I add my logo to it and import it to the package.
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 4:31 AM
ehmb- I really appreciate you testing those brows for me to see if the thumbnail shows up!

cmarNYC- Yeah, I agree, It is easier to add thumbs via simpe. I wish CTU would be better set up for adding thumbnails, like the different sizes would be great!

Base1980- really, You like the game generated ones? I like my pretty pics better! LOL Now that I know how to add these thumbs it almost makes me want to go through and make custom thumbs for all my eyebrows and makeup for when I make sims. It's such a PITA to try to hunt down where everything is from when you go to share a sim!

Instructor
#23 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 6:34 AM
Oh, i forgot to tell you, the thumb does show up! Very nice!
Inventor
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 7:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emhpb
Oh, i forgot to tell you, the thumb does show up! Very nice!

Yay!!! Thank you so much for testing it for me!!!

Sockpuppet
#25 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jessica_2020
Base1980- really, You like the game generated ones? I like my pretty pics better! LOL Now that I know how to add these thumbs it almost makes me want to go through and make custom thumbs for all my eyebrows and makeup for when I make sims. It's such a PITA to try to hunt down where everything is from when you go to share a sim!

Most of the times i spent days to create a outfit....and by the time its finished im to bored with it to update it with nice thumbs... but i do add my name to the them(like i described )
Page 1 of 2