Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 6904 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 8:04 PM
Default Row houses
I've seen several people who've posted rowhouses for TS3... how did they do it? How do you place walls at the edge of the lot so you can make them connect together seamlessly like that? I can't find any tutorials...
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
staff: retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:35 PM
Can you link to the row houses you mean?

I'm not aware that placing walls at or perpendicular to the edge is possible; furthermore, in TS3, lots must be isolated from each other. So even with walls at the lot edge you'd still have a gap.

Newbie Road/Wee Barnoid: Starter houses | Backdoor Lane: Urban lots | Baskerville | Middleground | Elsewhere

I'm gone for now. Boats > Sims. Thanks for everything – it was a great time!
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:58 PM
I would say, that they are all on the same lot.

But pictures always help, to show what you mean more clearly.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 12:29 AM
Like what you could make in TS2 with the help of lot adjustor
Pettifogging Legalist!
#5 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 9:04 AM
"what you could make in TS2" is not the same thing as "I've seen several people who've posted rowhouses for TS3". Which is it?

Newbie Road/Wee Barnoid: Starter houses | Backdoor Lane: Urban lots | Baskerville | Middleground | Elsewhere

Test Subject
#6 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 9:50 AM
I think that is just several "buildings" on one lot. I have tried very hard to make what you call "row houses" (i call them terraced houses) but to no success, as the multiple buildings or sections of the row are still all classed as one dwelling and not separate dwellings, like in a row of houses. I really thought I would be able to succeed in doing this in Late Night, but as it turns out, they are not adding apartments like they did in TS2, with the door to create multiple dwellings, but instead they will have a large tower, a lobby and your apartment and you are the only person who lives there, you cannot visit neighbours like in TS2 AL.

This is a real blow, as it means that we cannot, yet again, create terraced or row houses.
Doilyrific Diabolical Disagreer
#7 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 10:17 AM
With a commercial district it's not so bad. I have had some success placing rabbithole buildings using moveobjects so that they fill the gap between playable buildings. But there is nothing suitable for the appearance of a residential row.

simlogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Scholar
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 7:13 AM
You can have lots with several houses, I've done it. I keep to the 8 sims per lot rule though so you can't have several families on them. 8 couples can stay on one lot with 4 terraced houses. Just have a front and back door on each. Each of the couple locks a door to their own home.

If you have two families with 4 sims each you can have a semi detached or duplex as its called in other places. You just have to have two doors to the front of each houses and two to the back, same thing, each sim locks one door for themselves.

It would also be possible to have a row of eight small houses with one door on each of them and have 8 single sims living in them.

Obviously they all have to be on one lot. If you're building a world you choose the lot size so you can have a long thin one if you like, what's to stop you?

Why don't you just try one and see

My new world is now available on my own site.prettysims.com
Pettifogging Legalist!
#9 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 8:06 AM
All of this works fine as long as you actively control a household .. the problem with TS3 is just that even in a tiny village, 90% of the time you don't (assuming you play the village, not a first-person game). The base game – I don't know if this has perhaps improved with WA? – can't deal with this; it will randomly put inactive sims behind doors they can't unlock and they'll be trapped there for the rest of their life.

Field Researcher
#10 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 5:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
With a commercial district it's not so bad. I have had some success placing rabbithole buildings using moveobjects so that they fill the gap between playable buildings. But there is nothing suitable for the appearance of a residential row.

Would it not be possible, now that we have a basic neighborhood editor with Ambitions, to clone one of the decorations that can be placed with it to make a sort of "link" that could be placed between lots ? It would have to be about 3 tiles large to fill the gap in the middle and on each side of the neighbouring lots (if you see what I mean) ?
I've been away from creating a while so I don't remember if S3PE handles those neighbourhood decorations, but I seem to remember people cloning neighbourhood objects pretty much from the start…
Doilyrific Diabolical Disagreer
#11 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 5:34 PM
The problem is it would have to match the houses each side, otherwise they wouldn't look like row houses anyway. And as we all make our houses differently it would be hard to know where to start!

simlogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Scholar
#12 Old 6th Aug 2010 at 8:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbox
All of this works fine as long as you actively control a household .. the problem with TS3 is just that even in a tiny village, 90% of the time you don't (assuming you play the village, not a first-person game). The base game – I don't know if this has perhaps improved with WA? – can't deal with this; it will randomly put inactive sims behind doors they can't unlock and they'll be trapped there for the rest of their life.

Yes, that's true, but I'm aware that late night will have apartments in it and it will just be a matter of changing the doors likely. I'm still building terraces for that coming out

My new world is now available on my own site.prettysims.com
Forum Resident
#13 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 10:21 PM
If the item had at least one recolorable channel on it, there would be no problem matching. But it and the illusion of a connected building would fade when you zoom in to play one of the houses, since it would drop down or be invisible at that level. So this would really only be for the zoomed-out neighborhood view anyway.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 2:38 PM
I had some rowhouses (terrace houses) uploaded on this site about a week ago and yes they were all on one lot - have you seen the multi-owners door mod on here? http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=395440 - you can use these to keep your sims in their respectful houses a bit like the Sims 2 apartment doors. Obviously though all finances are still kept as one family, bills paid together etc. The biggest problem is that you just can't use that last tile of each lot to build on even if you could get the lots close enough. I hope we do get apartments with Sims 3 too, but we're only 3 expansions in and I guess may have to wait. I'm really hoping to see snow in Sunset Valley too one day :-)
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 4:22 PM
So not real row houses made up from individual lots?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 4:52 PM
No. As plasticbox said, because you cannot join up individual lots in TS3 - there is a mandatory one-tile gap between them - you therefore cannot create terraced/rowhouses with one house per lot. In TS2 it was only possible with the lot adjuster because you could put lots directly next to each other.

My Sims 3 stories blog - *NEW* Heather Legacy
My Sims 3 CC blog || My MTS page

Section jump