Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#51 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
...where tyranny is the only effective means of government
Some things don't change, do they? Tyranny remains the only effective means of government. When was the last time you witnessed the government being effective?

If they actually make such a thing, rather than simply nonsensical meepings, let's hope it has some good pillage potential like Castaways did.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:42 PM
Over at TSR they have info on this: http://www.thesimsresource.com/news...post/post/18586

Not real happy about this.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:44 PM
Here's a link: http://www.thesimsresource.com/news...post/post/18586
This tells that it's supposed to be a stand-alone game. I, for one am excited!
Banned
#54 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yeabil
Over at TSR they have info on this: http://www.thesimsresource.com/news...post/post/18586

Not real happy about this.

I really, really love how stupid people at TSR are.

"I'm under a non disclosure agreement, BUT HERE'S ALL SORTS OF UNRELEASED INFORMATION."

Someone doesn't understand what, exactly, non disclosure means. Idiot.
Top Secret Researcher
#55 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 4:08 PM
I am not happy either. We can choose to play one of 10 heroes..HOW LAME! EA has the Sims 3 engine already, they know how to allow us to make our own characters but decide not to do this. They know how to allow us to build, but decide to only let us build on to our castles. This sounds like a silly replicate of My Sims, which is a wonderful game for kids, but with Sims 3 characters instead of the little guys. Do they think they can compete with Oblivion or Dragon Age with mindless WA quests in an entire game? I see Ron Humble couldn't get away from his MMO days and had to push the Sims that way. It shouldn't even be called the Sims since that is a simulation, not a role play game.

My only hope is that someone figures out to extract the models from the medieval game and uses them in the regular Sims game. I had so many plans for this game and now its another closed-ended, no sandbox game. I really didn't anticipate this but seeing the direction of the Sims, I was stupid not to do so. I bet this is bits of an expansion that was supposed to happen but after the flack about WA, they decided to make it a stand alone game. Very sad day for me in the Sims world.

Only good news..someone made a mod to turn off carpools....
Banned
#56 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 4:22 PM Last edited by Achromagus : 29th Jul 2010 at 4:42 PM.
Quote:
I am not happy either. We can choose to play one of 10 heroes..HOW LAME! EA has the Sims 3 engine already, they know how to allow us to make our own characters but decide not to do this.

Did you read the same thing as everyone else? Nowhere did they say "You must pick a character". In fact, it says the exact opposite. It says there are 10 professions and Create-A-Sim is intact.

Quote:
They know how to allow us to build, but decide to only let us build on to our castles. This sounds like a silly replicate of My Sims, which is a wonderful game for kids, but with Sims 3 characters instead of the little guys.

Clearly you have not played MySims, as MySims is nothing like anything this article describes.

And this is, uh, a side game, so you really are in the wrong for expecting the full Sims 3 game but with different features. Since that's...not what it's supposed to be.

Modules instead of a build mode allows for realism and pretty castles. Would you rather have a castle made of boxes, or a castle with fancy accoutrements? Clearly from the pictures it's a much prettier style, and that's because it doesn't have all the building freedoms.

Quote:
Do they think they can compete with Oblivion or Dragon Age with mindless WA quests in an entire game? I see Ron Humble couldn't get away from his MMO days and had to push the Sims that way. It shouldn't even be called the Sims since that is a simulation, not a role play game.

What does this have to do with Oblivion or Dragon Age? All of them have medieval influence, that does not mean they are all trying to be the same game, that's ridiculous. Oblivion is a first or third person D+D-ish RPG and Dragon Age is a third person party-based tactical action RPG. This is absolutely, totally, nothing at all like either of those, and shows absolutely no signs of trying to be. And it's not an MMO, they don't even mention online. What the hell are you even talking about? Did you even read the linked article? You're not making it very clear if you did or not.

Quote:
My only hope is that someone figures out to extract the models from the medieval game and uses them in the regular Sims game. I had so many plans for this game and now its another closed-ended, no sandbox game.

You say this based on initial information of the maid idea. You do realize that every single other side game had free play, right?

Quote:
I really didn't anticipate this but seeing the direction of the Sims, I was stupid not to do so. I bet this is bits of an expansion that was supposed to happen but after the flack about WA, they decided to make it a stand alone game. Very sad day for me in the Sims world.

WA was met with high praise. It only recieved flack at the lowest levels of the sims community- that is to say in individual threads on individual message boards. The rest of the internet thought it was amazingly built, loaded with content, and a fantastic major addition to the game. So there's really no sense to be made here, either. You're kinda saying that since you and your friends don't like James Cameron's Avatar, it was a crappy movie that made no money. That's just not logical.

It's really doubtful it was supposed to be an expansion, since for one, expansions EXPAND the game, they don't take it in a complete opposite direction and split it into two halves, and for two, the domain name has been around for quite a while, meaning it was always planned as a side title.

I won't even get into how ridiculous it would be to drop an expansion idea and make it into an entirely new standalone title. That just makes absolutely no sense at all.
Theorist
#57 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 4:23 PM
Wow... does it really boil anyone elses blood that not only does EA turn a blind eye to pay sites but they also invite them to nearly every single one of their events? Gah it makes me so mad!!!!

I think they might get in trouble for this though......

Hi I'm Paul!
Mad Poster
#58 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 4:57 PM
Hmm it sounds interesting. The article makes it quite clear that it won't be typical Sim-style gameplay - it mentions being more of a RPG than a simulator, picking from ten hero characters, a "completely new way to play the game, focussed on quests and objectives in a way not seen in the franchise to date" - and, for me, this kind of throws into doubt whether a free play mode would have a place in the game if the point of it is to complete missions. The Stories games had roles to play out and objectives to complete, but it was still The Sims just with the Stories aspect added to it. This, however, is different ("So The Sims: Medieval is then, very much not just The Sims 3 with old world objects and styles, it's a completely new way to play the game"). None of the points I've mentioned are bad things, but I think many people were hoping it would be The Sims set in medieval times, which it won't be, so I think they might be disappointed. Me, on the otherhand, I won't make up my mind until there is more information.

I'm quite surprised that they've added religion, I really thought that would be something that EA would want to steer clear of, but I agreed with previous posters who thought it would be silly to leave it out because of how much of a role it played during that era.

Quote:
This will be the first of a series of similar releases which sees The Sims explore "themes, space and time".
I wonder what the other additions will be.
Top Secret Researcher
#59 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:08 PM
Oh, Claeric.. I totally disagree with you.

The article clearing said "You get to choose to play one of 10 heroes." It said CAS was intact in a BASIC FORM..so that means you can 'set up your Sim' probably as in adding clothing or hairstyles but not create the Sim and it said you could not build. Everything I said is in the game. You clearly changed what was there to make yourself happy with EA. I know you love the franchise and I admire your loyalty, but this is not what I wanted from a medieval Sims game. Of course, I am not telling you what to think so I would appreciate you paying me the same courtesy, although I realize that is difficult for you to do.

Quote from the Article:

Quote:
The Sims: Medieval is played more like an RPG than a simulator, with players choosing from one of ten 'hero' characters which they will control as they play out quests to further themselves in the game.

Quote:
There will be no build mode as we know it, but players will be able to expand their castles, houses etc by adding modules. The Create a Sim that we all know and love remains in a basic form for setting up your characters but the game is far removed the modern day worlds we play out today in Sims 3.

And yes, I have played My Sims. You get to create a Sim there..and then you go on quests to make the people in the hood happy. This new stand-alone is much more similar to that than to a Sims game. In the Sims games, you have a sandbox, you create your own sims, you get to build the world. That is not how this is going to be.

As for the MMO, do you know Ron Humble's background? If not, I suggest you look it up. It might help explain "What the hell I am talking about." Sorry I do not tailor my posts to your knowledge.

As for expecting a side game to be similar to the Sims games, did you even play Stories? Castaway? Pets? That is what I expected and yes, I think I had every reason to expect a game like that.

WA has NOT been met with high praise, by the way. It sold well at first because it was different but it has lousy replay value and full of bugs. Again, do some research. Ignoring what others say because it doesn't fit into your view of the world does not do you credit, Claeric/Achromagus. Praise from the "higher level" is meaningless compared to people who ACTUALLY play the game. Sorry..that is my yardstick, not some gaming site where they test the game for a half hour. I do not use those sites to choose my games.

If you like it, fine, buy it. It is NOT what I was expecting from a game using The Sims title. I know you are a smart young man but can't you think before you type in haste? Changing your name does not seem to have changed your attitude on these forums. Just because you disagree with someone does NOT mean you can verbally (or in this case in text) abuse someone.

Now..I thoroughly expect you to go on and on and on and on to try to bait me for the next three days, at least..until you fall over the edge and get a warning. But how about we stop now so you can stay on MTS2 a bit longer? I will concede that there are aspects of this game that look interesting but its not MY type of game. If you like it, good for you. I appreciate it if you would not address me anymore. I thought we agreed to that in a PM a while ago.
Banned
#60 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:09 PM
It doesn't say you pick from 10 characters. The guy who wrote the article is just only barely literate and doesn't know how to speak coherently.

players choosing from one of ten 'hero' characters which they will control as they play out quests to further themselves in the game. The professions include Blacksmith (ONE), Bard(TWO), Knight(THREE), Merchant(FOUR), Monarch(FIVE), Physician(SIX), Priests(7 AND 8, note that it is plural), Spy(NINE) and even Wizard(TEN).

There will be no build mode as we know it, but players will be able to expand their castles, houses etc by adding modules. The Create a Sim that we all know and love remains in a basic form for setting up your characters but the game is far removed the modern day worlds we play out today in Sims 3.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#61 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:14 PM
rian90 - If you expect someone to not speak to you, then perhaps don't speak to -them- and don't ask them a whole bunch of questions...
Banned
#62 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Oh, Claeric.. I totally disagree with you.

The article clearing said "You get to choose to play one of 10 heroes." It said CAS was intact in a BASIC FORM..

And yes, I have played My Sims. You get to create a Sim there..and then you go on quests to make the people in the hood happy. This new stand-alone is much more similar to that than to a Sims game.

As for the MMO, do you know Ron Humble's background?

As for expecting a side game to be similar to the Sims games, did you even play Stories? Castaway? Pets? That is what I expected and yes, I think I had every reason to expect a game like that.

WA has NOT been met with high praise, by the way. It sold well at first because it was different but it has lousy replay value and full of bugs. Again, do some research. Ignoring what others say because it doesn't fit into your view of the world does not do you credit, Claeric/Achromagus.

I know you are a smart young man but can't you think before you type in haste?

Who the hell is Claeric and why do you keep calling me that?

It said absolutely nothing about it being basic. Stop making things up.

Your comment about mysims was immediately after a comment about building, so forgive me for assuming that you were referring to the building when you said it was like mysims. You should start a new paragraph when you are talking about a new subject, then things would not be so confusing.

I know his background. His background means nothing. You started talking about MMOs when there's nothing to do with MMOs or Online in that entire article.

I have played stories/castaway, and they are exactly like what I'm hearing here. Do quests while building a home and working jobs and gathering resources. That's what castaway was, but the quests were oriented at getting back home. The quests now are oriented at making an awesome medieval settlement or something. It sounds like the exact same thing, except collecting driftwood and shipwreck pieces turns into chopping wood.

Quote:
Early reception for this expansion pack has been largely positive. GamePro argued the expansion pack's only bad feature was being able to make players lose several hours in the addictive gameplay. IGN's Steve Butts criticized the adventure-based gameplay and the difficulty of having family vacations, however, he concluded, "I hope World Adventures sets the pattern for future Sims expansions."

World Adventures has scores averaging 86 across all review sites and was, in fact, very well recieved. I'm sorry if you choose to disagree with facts and information, but this is reality.

Can *I* think before I type? You just made a massive post that pointed out all sorts of issues that the article didn't even make any mention of or hint towards. And you keep calling me a different name and acting like I'm someone else, why are you doing that? And what abuse? Speaking matter-o-factly and implying you haven't read what you're responding to isn't abuse. Accusing me of being someone else, though...
Banned
#63 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
rian90 - If you expect someone to not speak to you, then perhaps don't speak to -them- and don't ask them a whole bunch of questions...

This is a good point. I'm going to respond to what someone says, that's how discussion works...if you don't want a response, don't say anything.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#64 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:21 PM
Achromagus - Your posting style is extremely Claeric-like - a notorious user who was banned for being... well, a lot like you seem to be. Extremely aggressive in posting style, to the point of being quite rude, starting fights pretty much everywhere he posted because he couldn't say something without being over the top and in your face about it. He was told many times to cut it out and refused to. You also both share the same IP range and have similar browser strings, so I'm still not convinced you're not Claeric. And it seems a lot of other people aren't too. Perhaps if you quit posting just like he did and tried to be a bit nicer, people would quit thinking you're the same person.
#65 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Achromagus
It said absolutely nothing about it being basic. Stop making things up.

Oh yeah? Then why'd you say this...

Quote: Originally posted by Achromagus
The Create a Sim that we all know and love remains in a basic form for setting up your characters but the game is far removed the modern day worlds we play out today in Sims 3. [/I]
Mad Poster
#66 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:32 PM
^ I was just about to ask the exact same thing. That makes no sense.

As for the question about Claeric, in addition to HP's explanation I just wanted to add: the aggressive EA-defence whenever someone dares say anything less than favourable about them is another likeness.

I didn't play Castaways (might have to track down a cheap copy and give it a go because it sounded good) but I did play Pet and Life Stories and enjoyed the story aspect of them. It would be very cool if The Sims: Medieval was like that - with both story and free play - but from that article it doesn't sound like it will be. However, things are subject to change.
Theorist
#67 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 5:52 PM
Like Castaways, this will probably be for those players that don't want to get into The Sims but have something like it just so they can play it and then walk away from it. But, like Castaways it could get them hooked into buying The Sims 3 series.

I was never interested in the Sims and swore I would never, ever play it until my husband brought home the PS2 version. Then he got the PC version and as I watched, I got more interested and started playing. And 3 years later.... here I am LOL Now we're both looking forward to the next EP... we both missed the hot tubs and pianos... and also looking forward to the PS3 version. Christmas is coming early in this house.
Theorist
#68 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 6:17 PM
They better keep most of the freeplay elements of the series, or else I will get medieval on the EA HQ: with torches and pitchforks.
I'm heaving at the thought of controlling an EAxian sim. Its just so not me.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 6:56 PM
link is bogus
Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm

The questions where rhetorical. And I do give them one response...because I think its only polite to let someone know why you don't want to talk to them plus clear up misconceptions for others. But you are absolutely right. Responding only seems to stoke the flames, so to speak.

Claeric and I have an understanding but it seems he does not want to follow it. If this is not Claeric, I will be shocked. The pattern is exactly the same. My guess is he figured out how to use a different IP address.

Edited to say: Ignore is a nice feature.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#71 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 7:13 PM
Achromagus is Claeric. I don't know why anyone still harbours a few percent of uncertainty about that

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#72 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
Time Travel to the Middle Ages sounds interesting. I have B&N gift card I haven't used so maybe I'll go looking for that book. Looking into people's day to day existence on another time period can be interesting and often surprising.

I don't know if this is the book they meant, but it sure sounds like it: http://www.amazon.com/Time-Traveler...80431310&sr=8-1

I have it and it's pretty good.
Retired
retired moderator
#73 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 8:33 PM
Meh, it sounds very anaemic on the creation side of things. More sandbox, please.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Top Secret Researcher
#74 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
I don't know if this is the book they meant, but it sure sounds like it: http://www.amazon.com/Time-Traveler...80431310&sr=8-1

I have it and it's pretty good.

Yep, that is it! I am sorry, I should have posted a link myself. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 9:09 PM Last edited by frankie : 29th Jul 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Apparently other fansites had to take it down since they didn't know that it wasn't allowed. At least I got to see the four screen shots.
Page 3 of 17