Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 79 (Who?), Viewed: 16087 times.
Page 1 of 4
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:16 PM
Default Now you've got Sims 3, do you still play Sims 2?
I was wondering that. I remember when I had just installed Sims 3 I grew enormously bored after a couple of weeks of irregularly playing it and I fired up my old Sims 2 saved games. And after I FINALLY managed to load my neighborhood (ye gods, the loading screens!) I was so fed up with the loading screens that I quit the game and never looked back.

Though I am getting restless with the Sims 3, I just don't seem to get into it that much as I used to be able to. Yes I know it's only two expansions in, but still...

I remember thinking back when Apartment Life came around "all this needs now is an open neighborhood". So I was floored when The Sims 3 was announced. And we have a lot of improvements, but something's missing for me and I can't put my finger on it.
So do you still switch between the Sims 3 and 2? Or exclusively the Sims 3?

My fantasy is if we could have the Sims 2 with the open neighborhood and the new CAST.

This space intentionally left blank...
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:23 PM
After all of the "bring back the cool stuff from TS2" talk thats been going around since LN was announced, I actually reinstalled TS2+NL+AL last night. Ye Gods, I was so annoyed with it after just half an hour. EVERY time I want to go somewhere, Loading Screens.... people phoning you CONSTANTLY wanting to go out on Group Outings. LEAVE ME ALONE! The only thing I actually quite enjoyed about it was the Butler.... God I miss him in TS3....

I don't claim to be TS3's biggest fan, there are things I don't like about it, same as in any game/movie/book I read. (I have a habit of picking holes in everything, even if I generally like it) but I won't be playing TS2 again for a while.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Scholar
DELETED POST
5th Aug 2010 at 5:28 PM
This message has been deleted by Kaospilot.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:29 PM
No. I knew immediately that TS3 had a lot more to offer than TS2 and a lot more possibilities. TS2 had its limitations and I would grow bored quickly with it from those limitations. Whereas with TS3 there are a lot more things you can do not just from playing it, but also from a creative aspect too.

We're only 2 EP's in and the only thing that I wish we had right now were pets and weather. Mostly because with a perpetual world I would love to see how strays and how weather affects things. Particularly with firefighters as an active profession. Forest fires from a particularly hot summer, or a fall thunderstorm lightning strike.

But really, the sheer fact that you can visit pretty much any place in the Sims 3 world is probably one of the best things about the game and probably the most overlooked when comparing it to its predecessor.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by severedsolo
EVERY time I want to go somewhere, Loading Screens.... people phoning you CONSTANTLY wanting to go out on Group Outings. LEAVE ME ALONE! The only thing I actually quite enjoyed about it was the Butler.... God I miss him in TS3....

I know, right?
I couldn't stand the loading screens anymore as well, not while I knew there was TS3 beckoning me with its open neighborhood. Aren't they bringing back the butlers in Late Night? That would be cool...
So I'm in limbo, I'm bored with TS3, but can't go back to TS2. Maybe I could ask my budding indie game developers to whip up our own version of the Sims, maybe call it "The Virties" (as in "virtual", get it, get it? ).

Inventor
#5 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:35 PM
I played Sims3 for a while, but it is back in the closet and untouched atm. I'm totally playing Sims2 again (with an independant economic system alike Isle of Thyme). I really didn't like just basic sims3. So I'll wait until there are some more EPs and might try again in a year or so.
Theorist
#6 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:44 PM
I play both pretty regularly, both are great in their own ways

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:48 PM Last edited by Nalia : 5th Aug 2010 at 5:50 PM. Reason: additional comment
I do play TS2 actually. Three weeks were enough to get bored of TS3. Open neighbourhood is wonderful as well as the landmark, but the fun of TS2 is irreplaceable. A few months back I built a new quad, so the game takes only 2-3 minutes to load (thanks to CC) and the loading screens between main neighbourhood and Downtown are really fast, so I have no problem with it.

Like appelsapgodin, I'll be waiting for future EPs to see how much they'll add to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukael
My fantasy is if we could have the Sims 2 with the open neighborhood and the new CAST.

This pretty much sums up my *ideal* game.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:51 PM
When I first got TS3, I figured I'd keep playing TS2 for a while. I had all the EPs installed and had a long-term neighborhood that I had invested a lot of creative energy and time into with sims that I really enjoyed playing. I didn't have any interest in giving up apartments, night clubs, weather, hobbies, and everything else.

After playing TS3 for just a couple of hours, though, when I went back to TS2, I just found the lack of a seamless world and some of the other new features too confining.

With TS3, I also went back to my TS1 style of play, which was to play just a single household. In TS2, I rotated through multiple households so that the neighborhood would age evenly. But, since even with mods TS3 just isn't well suited for multiple household play, I've gone back to single household play which was always a better fit for me anyways.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Scholar
#9 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:52 PM
Actually, I'm glad there is a thread on this over here now... there is a similar one on the TS2 discussion board, but its all "Nooo TS3 sucks i'm never ever gonna buy it or play it" So how are you going to make this decision if you don't play it? Annoys me so much when people base an opinion on something they have never actually seen/done for themselves....

At least here the majority of people would have at least played both so can make an informed decision.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:56 PM
I play TS3 more but I do still play TS2 for my supernatural sims and businesses.

My Sims 3 stories blog - *NEW* Heather Legacy
My Sims 3 CC blog || My MTS page
transmogrified
staff: retired moderator
#11 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:01 PM
Quote:
Actually, I'm glad there is a thread on this over here now... there is a similar one on the TS2 discussion board, but its all "Nooo TS3 sucks i'm never ever gonna buy it or play it" So how are you going to make this decision if you don't play it? Annoys me so much when people base an opinion on something they have never actually seen/done for themselves....

Nalia's posted in that thread, I believe. As have I. So it's entirely possible for people to play TS3 extensively (I have both EPs and HELS) and still prefer 2. Annoys me so much when people generalize.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:10 PM
It's funny because for the first 7 months that I had The Sims 3 I was too intimidated by it to even play it (it seemed slow, the graphics were kind of weird, and I didn't like the way the Sims look). So The Sims 2 was still my most played. Recently I got into TS3 and played it for real. I really enjoyed it.

Just yesterday I loaded up The Sims 2 again, thinking that it might be weird to me now, but it isn't. The loading screens don't bother me at all. The Sims 2 is timeless and has not been outdated. I love it and I don't think I'll stop playing it. I can play them both side by side.

Funny I also just installed The Sims 1 and played it for the first time in six years, surprisingly it wasn't too intolerable. Just weird, and quite hard compared to The Sims 2 and 3.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Alchemist
#13 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:13 PM
I got bored with Sims 3 pretty quickly at first. and went back to Sims 2 for awhile. It was great to have real romantic dates again, the animations in 2 are so much better for romance socials. But the loading screens were a real drag, I missed the open neighborhood.
So, I stopped playing Sims entirely got obsessed with Dragon Age for awhile.
Just before Ambitions came out my husband got his hands on a new-used PC and start disassembling them and rebuilding all the PCs in the house. So, I got a new-used PC to play with, and installed Sims 3 & WA, and the addedAmbitions to that. Sometimes I miss TS2 and would like to play, but I just can't make myself install it and all the eps & sps and find default replacements and my favorite CC all over again. I am having more fun with Sims 3 now than I had at first, in part because of Ambitions, and in part because I'm involved in a challenge game, which helps keep me interested.
Scholar
#14 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:18 PM
Quote:

At least here the majority of people would have at least played both so can make an informed decision.

Come again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaantje61
I really long for a Sims 3 that is merely a Sims 2 with open neighbourhoods.To me 3 can never ever take the place of 2 wich is an absotutely fun game After 2 months of playing 3 I got fed up.I spent most of my time downloading hacks to make it run smoother and CC was hard to find for free and I wouldn't even consider buying anything from the EA-store.IT'S A RIPP OFF !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beakergirl
one of the things I dont like about sims 3 is the community lots, its nice to walk around the hood but then I cant see whats going on in the community lots.
Sims 2 had waaaay more options right from the start, I feel like sims 3 is a step back, I cant really customize my hoods the way Id like to.
Sims 3 feels like sims 1, I have sent my copy back and I will be sticking with sims 2 as there is nothing I cant do within the game. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda_lovemusic.
I prefer TS2 by a long shot...

Pro-TS2
- That game after TS1 with its isometric camera and rigid movements was a godsend
- You can walk around in the community lots and actually do something with your sims there
- The EPs made it so much more enjoyable than just the base game. It feels frighteningly real for a simulation game.
- The sims' expressions when they do things like observing ants (favorite! )
- Lack of PUDDING FACE
- Smustle. My heart tore in two when there was no Smustle option on the radio for TS3 (unless there is and I've gone mad)

Pro-TS3
- SO many design options for CAS, it's so wonderful
- Seamless continuum, so you don't have to play in cycles... but for TS2 I got so used to just doing it, and so I never miss anything
- The traits feature is like the next level of personalities

I'm sure if TS3 keeps on having EPs released for it, it will continue to get better and might even beat out TS2 someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by candinfat
The Sims 2 is definitely better.

The only good things about The Sims 3, in my opinion, is that you can openly explore your town, and the character customization. It takes an unfathomable amount of time to max out a skill, and even then, you're still not professional with it? I had a Martial Arts Sim, and I maxed out their skill and went to battle other people or whatever and lost every single match. What is that?! Also, the people look like mannequins, and how can you be "Leader of The Free World" when there are under one-hundred people in your town?

The only reason I tolerated The Sims 3 as long as I did is because I spent the money on it, so I might as well have played it. Right? WRONG. World Adventures HONESTLY got old in two days, and I keep coming back for more with The Sims 2 expansion packs.

HOORAY FOR THE SIMS 2! :

- CandinFat(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach1002
I am just way too attached to TS2 to get involved with TS3. I tried playing it for a while a little after it came out. I was so excited for the sims 3 to come out and when I started playing it, it was a major disappointment. It took me over an hour to create a family and their houses just because of all the options and I got very distracted.

Something I also realized while playing is that if you choose a career for you're sims in TS3 the whole gameplay revolves around their career.

Bottom line, I reinstalled TS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroo
When EA or some clever modder fixes the problem of ugly toddlers and children, or when EA releases an EP that makes me want to play one eternally unaging neighborhood, I will try TS3 again. Many of its features are undeniably superior to TS2. Until then, I am one of the lucky ones: I still love playing TS2 and there's more I want to do in the game than I have time to. I want to play my custom hood, the uberhood, a BACC hood, another Asylum, an Apocalypse challenge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeSpy
I actually played TS3 first, then went to TS2 to see what it was like. At first I thought "Why are there loading screens? AND WHY CAN'T DELETE I MULTIPLE THINGS!?" so I had thought "Oh, TS3 is much better because I don't have to wait for loading screens." (It also took me awhile to comprehend that ALL CC in TS2 goes in the dl folder)
Then I played 2 for a little while longer, and loved it. For me, there's more too love in TS2 than three. Because with 2, I don't have to worry about body sliders that'll make my Sim's shoulders look too wide when I put skinniness all the way down.
Sure, TS3 is loading screenless, but all or most of the EA sims look kinda the same(as someone had said earlier).
I also noticed TS3 focused more on graphics, while TS2 focused more on socials. EA took away a lot of the interactions when they made 3, and I love how difficult it is to make friends in 2. In 3, you can be their best buddy, or even wife/husband in a DAY. No EA, that's NOT how it works! D<
TS2 for ever!

...and these are only a small sample of the said thread.

In my opinion the players there have made a very informed decision.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:19 PM
I really don't know what to do... Maybe I should get a brand spanking new PC that's all pimped out so that the loading screens zip by (which is one of the main reasons I can't go back to TS2). It's just that after a while I run out of things to do in TS3, it doesn't grab my attention like it used to.

The biggest hurdle would be to find all of the CC again I used for TS2. Many of which the creators have left the community. So I'll just hope I get more interest again. Maybe when we get vampires I'll start to tell epic stories once more!

Scholar
DELETED POST
5th Aug 2010 at 6:19 PM
This message has been deleted by Kaospilot.
Scholar
#16 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroo
Nalia's posted in that thread, I believe. As have I. So it's entirely possible for people to play TS3 extensively (I have both EPs and HELS) and still prefer 2. Annoys me so much when people generalize.

Ok I take it back, not EVERY post on that thread is like that.

I wasn't saying "How could anyone possibly prefer TS2" because that would be a stupid statement. Everyone is different, and I'm sure that plenty of people prefer TS2 as much as I prefer TS3.

My point was that people should actually try both before they make a decision about which is better.

Different Horses for Different Courses ya know?

Field Researcher
#17 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:36 PM
I've found the glitches in Sims 3 to be more severe than those in TS2.

In TS2, I never downloaded a patch (because they were like 30 MB and I'm on dial up). But even then, I never had a glitch that forced me to start over.

I've had two separate glitches happen to me in TS3 to do that, and a variety of other glitches that suck the fun out of things. Like I'm doing the Klepto King challenge, but items disappear from my family inventory if I don't put them down within the same day (I was trying to collect a few lights before putting them all down).

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Scholar
#18 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:41 PM
Quote:
My point was that people should actually try both before they make a decision about which is better.

And my post proves that most people there have actually tried both bloody games. How long are you going to pretend you don't get it?
transmogrified
staff: retired moderator
#19 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 6:54 PM
Whoa...before a fight breaks out to take this thread off-topic, I think we can agree that there are some people who posted in the TS2 forum thread who declared they had never tried TS3 and didn't like the look of it so didn't plan to. severedsolo already admitted not every post in the thread was like that.

Of course responses in a TS2 v TS3 thread will tend to be biased based on the subforum where the thread is posted.
Scholar
#20 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 7:11 PM
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
5th Aug 2010 at 7:19 PM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Alchemist
#21 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 7:22 PM
After experiencing the open world in TS3, there was no way I could go back to TS2
Scholar
#22 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 7:36 PM
I have only loaded up Sims 2 once since the Sims 3 was released and don't even have it installed any longer. I do play the Sims 1 once in awhile, just to get my Makin' Magic fix; churning butter, bee-keeping and visiting the magic lots will never get old for me.

I think a lot of the choice comes down to play style. I spend more time decorating and landscaping than I do playing, so CAST is just the best thing ever in my books. I never really bothered much with dating and mating or storytelling, so omissions like scrapbooks, genetics, dates, baby crap, woohooing in cars, nightclubs and many of the socials don't faze me at all. OTOH, I love RPG's, so additions like Opportunities (quests) and the Seamless hood (open world) make me froth at the mouth. I could never go back to the 2 minute driveway shuffle (stop slamming that *%$#@! door) and 5 minute loading time to take my house of 8 to a community lot! I also could no longer live without the ability to match the appropriate shoes to an outfit. Death to Hookerwear!

That's not to say that I don't miss things because I do. I miss hearing the wind howl in winter, or the rain on the roof (although the ocean and the swamp have some awesome sound effects). I miss swimming in the ocean, male pregnancy, all the crafting items and their associated skills and of course, restaurants. And there are many items that I would love to have back, like the violin, half walls, community showers and 3 years worth of amazing work from the community...but most of these things will come in time. The ones that don't I will just have to learn to live without, just as I learned to live without many things I loved from Sims 1.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 7:48 PM
Nah I gave all my Sims 2 EP's and SP's to my sister so she plays those. It would be too difficult for me to go back to the Sims 2 without things like CAST, Open World, and *gasp* I actually prefer how the sims look in 3 as opposed to 2. You just have to work at it and it is actually possible to make decent looking sims :P

I'll always have many fond memories of 2, but people need to realize that the Sims 3 is still growing, and like 2, it will eventually have as many, if not more, features than the Sims 2 once all the EP's and SP's are released. I actually get kind of excited when I think of the possibilities that can still be unleashed with this game, so I'll just be patient as the Expansions come rolling out.
Inventor
#24 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 7:49 PM
Well I'm currently pretty fascinated by the Create A World tool available for Sims 3, and have spent all my simming time just creating worlds in the past week or so. For me it's a great way to combine building houses alongside developing hoods, because you can make it look so personal and customised.

Having said that, I miss my Sims 2 families and will play them again soon. Actually I think from a building/creative point of view I've got ideas from building in Sims 3 that I want to transfer to Sims 2 anyway. And I worked hard developing my TS2 hoods, so am loathe to give them up now as still only on 3rd generation.

So for me I like both equally, although that may change with further TS3 expansion packs coming out. It's taken me ages to catch up with this simming thing as I only started playing last November, so I think I'll be playing more TS3 than TS2 for the moment.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 8:18 PM
I still think Sims 2 is a better game, even though I love some of Sims 3's gameplay elements. I find it much harder to get into Sims 3 and I don't feel attached to the Sims at all. It's not only the looks but they lack the charm of the Sims in 2. Also, I haven't been able to create even ONE Sims exactly like I want them to look, and yes I have CC, slider hacks and such. I just found it much easier with Sims 2. It's the bubbleness of the heads and some missing sliders or lack of precision...

But I'll see how it changes, when more expansions come out.
Page 1 of 4

Section jump