Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2010 at 11:53 AM Last edited by MisaMii : 25th Aug 2010 at 2:04 PM.
Does someone know how to get rid of this HUGE floating ceiling?
Hello,

I'm building this surreal house, it's kinda floating above ground and it's only support is the base in the center. Since I used the ConstrainFloorElevation cheat A LOT, I encountered the floating ceiling problem quite often. Mostly, these were only small spots, and I managed to get rid of the most of them. Now, since it's a house that somewhat floats above ground, I wanted to make a lake beneath it. So now I made that lake, I saved the game, and all of a sudden there's this GIGANTIC PIECE of floating ceiling, AT MY LAKE!

I tried all of the techniques I used with the other floating parts of ceiling, but none of them were effective! So basically, this is what I already tried to get rid of it:
- built a non-stone foundation at the spot of the floating ceiling (so over the lake) with CFE false, then I built a square-shaped floor on that foundation, and then it was gone. Then I relevelled the above floors (because those got warped by the CFE). And when I remove the fake square-shaped floor and the foundation, it's still gone. When I go back to the neighbourhood, the floating ceiling is just back...
- same as above, but with CFE true. It gave the same result at the end.
- levelling the levels above the lake to the same heights, then delete their floorings, then undo that, and undo the levelling. The floating ceiling is gone for a moment, but once again, after going to the neighbourhood, it just returns.
- getting rid of the lake at that spot, then putting the lake back.
- getting rid of the lake at that spot, levelling the base floor, levelling the above floors (all with CFE false, by the way), correcting the above floors to their previous state, turning CFE on true, putting the lake back and going to neighbourhood: the floating ceiling just comes back...

So, it's one of the hardest cases of floating ceiling I've ever had. I usually get rid of them easily, but this piece... Just seems too big. And I really want the lake at that spot, because as you can see in the screenshots, I have this room that somewhat hovers over the lake. And that's what I want it to look like. Hovering over it.

If it's of any use, I have the base game, World Adventures expansion pack, High-End Loft stuff pack, and Ambitions expansion pack installed.

Any help is REALLY APPRECIATED, since this problem is really terrorising me! It keeps following me, aargh!!

[edited 25/08/2010]
Could someone please just give me some answers?
Even if you're not sure of your method, please just let me know.
Or tell me how you mostly solve this issue.
Anything of which you believe that could work, is useful to me.
I don't really like to continue on furnishing the house and on decorating the garden now that there's this huge white floating ceiling hovering above the pond.
So basically, I stop working on it until I have some new ways that could help me get rid of the floating ceiling.
Screenshots
Advertisement
The other one
#2 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MisaMii
Could someone please just give me some answers?
Even if you're not sure of your method, please just let me know.
Or tell me how you mostly solve this issue.
Anything of which you believe that could work, is useful to me.

A lot of us on the foundations contest had the same problem. Someone reckoned the problem was relating to the use of CFE and coloured ceilings combined. They were going through the whole house trying to figure out which part of ceiling was causing the problem....I'm too lazy for that, I just deleted all of my ceiling paints so they just went back to normal grey/white EA ceiling. It's not pretty but it worked for me, my floating ceiling didn't come back in that house. I've stopped painting ceilings in any house I use CFE in and I haven't had the problem again....it could all be coincedence though

I'd be interested to know if this works for you too

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 12:02 PM
As missroxor said, it looks like scrunched up ceiling that stays after the floor attached to it has been deleted. I've been able to remove it by placing back the floor the celling is originally attached to, then re-delete it. In your case, though, I'm not sure how. I don't even know from what level these abominations are from. Maybe build a two level building that completely encloses it, complete with floors for each level, then delete it, starting with the floors? It seems to be rather close to your house though, it might messed up your carefully CFE-leveled floor.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BGatot
Maybe build a two level building that completely encloses it, complete with floors for each level, then delete it, starting with the floors? It seems to be rather close to your house though, it might messed up your carefully CFE-leveled floor.

Mostly I do this technique, but then there's this problem that the floating floor just comes back everytime I go to the neighborhood view. So, basically, it works but it just doesn't stay.

Perhaps I should just scrap away the piece of pond beneath it...

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 12:27 PM
Hi! I had loads of problems with this when doing the contest (and I only used 1 "piece" of CFE) If you manage to remove the roof but it does not stay, have you tried to remove it, go to neighbourhood view, "move" the lot (just place it at the same place it already is), enter the lot again and see if it's gone? Seems like doing that sort of resets everything.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
Hi! I had loads of problems with this when doing the contest (and I only used 1 "piece" of CFE) If you manage to remove the roof but it does not stay, have you tried to remove it, go to neighbourhood view, "move" the lot (just place it at the same place it already is), enter the lot again and see if it's gone? Seems like doing that sort of resets everything.

I tried it, but it didn't help. Thanks for the tip anyway.

After 2 weeks, I restarted on building the house further to the finish, but I kinda got annoyed by the big floating spot so I just deleted the piece of pond beneath it.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 4:51 PM
Default Problem with unremovable floating floor tiles
I've recently ran into a problem: There are some very strange floor tiles floating on a lot I'm currently building. The tiles aren't horizontal - but they aren't vertical either. They are warped in a very odd manner I haven't seen before.

I haven't used any cheats but "moveobjects on" with this lot - no playing with split levels or anything like that. I have no idea how the floor tiles ended up hanging in the air but they seem to be impossible to remove and they can only be seen from some angles.

Must be a glitch. I have a bad feeling there's not much I can do but to go back to a previous save game. But I thought at least to ask if anyone knows how to remove those annoying things.

It bugs me because my previous save is much less finished - a lesson to save often, at least.
Scholar
#8 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 8:35 PM
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 8:07 AM
Thanks. Sadly nothing suggested worked, and all I could do was go back to a previous save. But it's good to know it is a rather "common" problem. At least I know in the future to look out for the glitch.
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 1:51 PM Last edited by candlelight82 : 15th Sep 2010 at 4:43 PM.
99% of the glitch is caused by a damaged grid (you see it in build mode).
It can be repaired if you fix the grid, by flatten the area with the constrainfloorelevation cheat.
Sometimes you have to fix areas you didn't expect. So make sure you also flatten the area 4-5 tiles away from the glitch. Sometimes you have to add temporary walls/foundations to get the grid.

I had this error yesterday.
The damaged grid part was 3 tiles away. So make sure you flatten a big area around the glitch. Worked for me.

A reason for this glitch:
foundations + nearby columns/walls = overlapped different grid levels cause errors randomly
Scholar
#11 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 5:31 PM
do not ask why this could possibly repair a graphic glitch... sometimes is works. See pictures.

Placing the "companion cube" ... some nooobs call it foundation block ... near the glitch can also fix the whatever-caused-this-problem. Delete the block afterwards.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 11:38 AM
Oh. Mah. Gawd.

I discovered an awesome solution.

I just got the new expansion a few weeks, the Late Night one, and I discovered that you can now just DELETE THE FLOATING CEILINGS!
Amazing, it is. I did had the CFE cheat turned on tho, but it is just... Amazing. I got rid of the huge floating ceiling (after months of leaving it there!) and I also deleted some smaller floating ceiling parts.
I'm just dazzled. Finally, after all this time of frustration, I can remove it. I'm just... so happy now! :D

(WOOT WOOT FEELING) xD

"Broken people get recycled."
- Katie Melua -