Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Replies: 605 (Who?), Viewed: 142697 times.
Page 2 of 25
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 10:42 PM
Chriko, seems that you have chose a strange object

First of all, I made a clone of the sofa, in the same way explained in the Mesh Tool tutorial, and I found in the package, along with all the files for the "Candy Coated Sofa" (sofaUMCutOut), also all the files for the "Lap of Luxury Sofa" (sofaColonial1)!
Please confirm to me if you have , in your package 1 or 2 Resource Nodes, 1 or 2 Text Lists 0x85 and so on.

Anyway, I analyzed the GMDC for the sofaUMCutOut, and I found in the "Models" list, aside from the "shadows", three different meshes (look at the first picture): the strange thing is that the first and the last have the same name "sofa"; this means that *both* meshes are part of the "sofa" subset. The third mesh in the GMDC is "sofaumcutout_sofa_blackcream".
Look at the second picture: it shows one of the "sofa" mesh: the one listed at the bottom of the Material list; it represent the main body of the sofa.
Now, look at the last picture: it shows the other "sofa" mesh (the metal feet) and the "sofaumcutout_sofa_blackcream" (the coloured cushion on the back of the sofa).

What part have you re-meshed? I think only the "main" mesh: the one depicted in the second picture. Confirm to me that.

As for the recolourable parts, you are right: this particular sofa has colour options only for the "sofa" subset. This may have caused the problem in your recolour.

Please, tell me the things I have asked you, and maybe you should also post your package here, so that I can give a look at it.
Screenshots

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#27 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 11:01 PM
numenor, there is only one Resource Node and one text list 0x85 in my cloned package.

i saw that are two "sofa" in the GMDC, but SimPE has only one of this exported...
but in milkshape i saw it all... the sofa mesh- i remeshed it ...
and the feets with the backcusion- i also remeshed it...
looks like the other sofa mesh and the backcusion was regrouped by exporting, or what?

i will attache my package... its the clone, i think with the renamed things from this thread...
i hope it's the right one - i made to much with this package today
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip chriko_modernsofa.zip (129.7 KB, 51 downloads) - View custom content

this is my HP - cu there?
Test Subject
#28 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 6:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_h
If people who are technical minded and know better can't get it right, how can we attract people who are artistic and not technical to make new things?
If someone is cruising by, looking for a good project to work on, a package renamer/checker would certainly be an instant hit.
<* Wes *>

i maybe interupting here but wes i am having this problem most the way through.......while i have been able to get my meshes in the game , i have problems from haveing only parts of my mesh showing up , to materials not showing or disappering after just leaving the game and starting up again and replacing other files , all of this by just following the tutorial 4 or 5 times
some work some dont .
very frustrating we need a plugin to trace all strings and be able to change everything in one spot for this to work for the community , in my humble opinion ......please guys help us dumb artists out here

i know how to use a hex editor but consider myself more of an artist but had to learn a little editing to get things to work in the sims but........if i have to do all of this i think i will become a programmer and forget how to do what i like best..... inventing new things lol know what i mean?
Nearly alive
#29 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 9:15 AM
About the sofa, objects which have more than one mesh with the same name, can cause problems during the export /import process , as the parts with the same names often get merged in the process.

One solution to this which should work, is to rename one of the parts in the gmdc file before you export it to a obj file, then continue as normal untill you have replaced the new gmdc file back into the package and then rename the part back to the original name (so you have two with the same name again)
The ModFather
Original Poster
#30 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 9:19 AM Last edited by numenor : 3rd Feb 2005 at 10:00 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriko
numenor, there is only one Resource Node and one text list 0x85 in my cloned package.

i saw that are two "sofa" in the GMDC, but SimPE has only one of this exported...
but in milkshape i saw it all... the sofa mesh- i remeshed it ...
and the feets with the backcusion- i also remeshed it...
looks like the other sofa mesh and the backcusion was regrouped by exporting, or what?

i will attache my package... its the clone, i think with the renamed things from this thread...
i hope it's the right one - i made to much with this package today

As for the multiple Text lists, I've found out that it's a SimPE problem that occurred in my package: it happens when cloning a package and SimPE is already opened and loaded with another package; I should have closed and reopened SimPE before cloning my package.
And you are right: Delphy's plugin groupes all the existing meshes into one when exporting. I forgot it. I use the old version of the plugin (that exports the meshes one by one) because in my job I need to examine each single mesh, in order to check to which part of the object they correspond.
Mmmmh... let me check your package.

EDIT:
I haven't tested it into game, but your package seems correct; even if the starting clone had that problem about the two meshes with the same name, now the GMDC has a correct structure, and the SHPE reflects correctly the different subsets ("sofa" and "sofaumcutout_sofa_blackcream").
The only problema (and now I think that *this* is the problem you were talking about in your first post) is that the "sofaumcutout_sofa_blackcream" subset isn't colour enabled, i.e. it always have its default colour and you can't change it creating a recolour package with Object Workshop.
This is because that subset wasn't colour enabled even in the original object: I didn't notice it, but probably that long padded bar in the back of the sofa always has the same colour in the original object.
So, you need to manually enable that part.
Since it's too long to explain, I have done it for you. I'm attaching the package.
Just remember that what happened with this sofa was not your fault: every object has something particular and using a standardized process to re-mesh them may cause some problem with some objects.
Screenshots

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#31 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 12:47 PM
@miche
i thouhgt as much, but i was not sure... i will try it out....

@numenor
thank you so much for your help...
a lot of things are not visible for "normalos" like me ... SimPE don't work correctly even when another package is open?
thats an important fact... i think, you must publish it...

and my sofa... at first let me thank you...
not at any time i thought that the subset wasn't colour enabled in the original object...
and thank you for doing this for me...

yes, i see... another object, another problem... ...

another question- can you show me a thread about how to change the catalog placement?...
i think about my carpet... cloned from a hanging plant...
it should not show up in "flowers" anymore

this is my HP - cu there?
The ModFather
Original Poster
#32 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 2:11 PM
As for the catalog placement, take as an example the Object Data file of an object that appears in the right catalog section (e.g. a decorative/misc object) and write down the values 0x008E and 0x0090, plus the 0x00FC and 0x00FE (I think) for the Community catalog.
Copy those values in your Object Data file and your new object should appear correctly in the catalog.
Alchemist
#33 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 2:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
As for the catalog placement, take as an example the Object Data file of an object that appears in the right catalog section (e.g. a decorative/misc object) and write down the values 0x008E and 0x0090, plus the 0x00FC and 0x00FE (I think) for the Community catalog.
Copy those values in your Object Data file and your new object should appear correctly in the catalog.

I built a nice chart that has exactly what values to put where to do any cataloging you want (residential, commercial or build).
I was going to share it, but I can't post HTML, and if I shrink an image of it down enough to upload, you can't read it.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#34 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 2:48 PM
wes_h, can you post the zipped image in its original dimensions?
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 4:48 PM
Just wanted to say thankyou!

I've done 2 objects now with this method after using the Mesh Tool and they work perfectly. The re-textures of my originals work as they are supposed to, too. :D
Alchemist
#36 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 10:51 PM
Quote:
wes_h, can you post the zipped image in its original dimensions?

Good Idea.
It's currently a .TIF document (the parent is a MS WORD document)
<* Wes *>
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip CatalogPlacement.zip (858.4 KB, 117 downloads) - View custom content

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#37 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 11:28 PM
Great! It must have been a hard job to make it... Thank you, Wes.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 1:48 PM
Hi there all,

ok i need to ask if you all can put this all together for a tutorial. I am asking because there is so much information in this thread about it that i am getting lost.

i made an arbor using a couch for the clone. but i dont need to link to the color choices it already has, what i need is to be able to make my own as it looks nothing like the original.

so any help with this is truely greatful and appreciated.

here is a picture of my gothic arbor. so far i only have one color choice for it but i feel it would be nice to have more and be able for others to make more.

bea
Screenshots
The ModFather
Original Poster
#39 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 2:43 PM Last edited by numenor : 4th Feb 2005 at 2:46 PM.
LadyBea34, if you performed all the steps I have described, especially the Part 3, you should already have a colour-enabled object. But from your picture I see that it's not true.
So, either you didn't followed my notes, or you have made a mistake about the steps in Part 3.

Please check the "tsDesignModeEnabled" block in the Geometry Node: you should see in that block only the name of the mesh (or meshes) that you created and put in the GMDC; if this is not true, then you should perform again the steps in Part 3.

As for the request of creating a real tutorial, I'm not doing it because soon the procedure for creating re-meshed object will be greatly automated, thanks to the great effort that Quaxi is putting in the new update of SimPE, that will automatically perform all the steps here described. When the new SimPE will be released, all this procedure will be considered outdated.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 4:14 PM
ohhhh ok well thats great, less work for all of us..hehe

and no the image shown doesnt have any of your tutorial added yet because i was still readin gall the posts made after that. That is what got me all confused. so i well do what you have posted on the first post and see how i come out with it.

thanks bea
Test Subject
#41 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 10:17 PM
Quote:

As for the request of creating a real tutorial, I'm not doing it because soon the procedure for creating re-meshed object will be greatly automated, thanks to the great effort that Quaxi is putting in the new update of SimPE, that will automatically perform all the steps here described. When the new SimPE will be released, all this procedure will be considered outdated.

oh thank you for the response
Scholar
#42 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 1:20 AM
I cannot for the life of me get the colour enabling to work

I have gone through all the steps, over and over - everything looks correct, except that in this part:

"b) in the GMND, into the "tsDesignModeEnabled" block; to find that block, open the pull-down "Blocklist" and select it; then, in the center of the screen, select the line with the old subset name and edit it using the field on the right. Commit and Save."

When I go to this field, it is named:

surfaces = (Array) 0 items

I use the area to the right to rename, and click "commit"

I get the "Changes were commited" message - but, it doesn't seem to be working.

If I go to a different section, then come back to this, it still is named:
surfaces = (Array) 0 items

The object works fine in the game, and I am able to use the Object Workshop to create new colours for it -- but the new colours do not show up in the game.

Does anyone have any idea where I am going wrong?

=================================

I also tried using the new plugin, which automatically renames everything.
But still, the same thing happens. Everything again looks to be correct, except for this problem with the "tsDesignModeEnabled"
The ModFather
Original Poster
#43 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 2:01 AM
Dr. Pixel, let's take your Boombox as an example.
Your new mesh is called "NewMesh"; you correctly edited the Shape, like the Mesh Tool tutorial says, modifying the subset name from "stereoboombox_design" to "NewMesh". OK.
Now, if you open the GMND and select the txDesignModeEnabled block, you'll see a line like this:
"stereoboombox_design = (Array) 0 items".
Select it and in the "Name" field to the right edit the name, writing "NewNesh". Now, click commit (not add or delete or edit). The line now should look:
"NewMesh = (Array) 0 items".
Save.

The procedure you described seems absolutely correct, so I don't understand why it doesn't work...
Check that the line has changed before clicking Commit.
Please let me know if you still have problems.

EDIT:
Maybe I've found out what the problem is: you have to *click* on the line you want to edit *before* actually editing the Name field.
Scholar
#44 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 3:55 AM
OK, I tried this again - maybe that was the reason, now I am able to get the changed name to commit and save.

But now, when I try to recolour, the Object Workshop saves only an empty .package file with nothing in it. So, I can't even try to recolour it. Before, it would save the images and allow the recolouring, but the new colours didn't show in the game...

I tried both the BoomBox and the Chair, the same thing happens with both.

Both objects still do work in the game.

I appreciate your help with this - maybe the problem is that the original objects I started with were not colour-enabled by Maxis?
The ModFather
Original Poster
#45 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 9:25 AM Last edited by numenor : 6th Feb 2005 at 9:41 AM.
It's irrelevant whether the objects were colour-enabled by Maxis or by me, as long as they are...
Let me check the boombox and the chair.

EDIT:
OK, fininished.
Basically, for both objects was missing the part 3 (changing the subset name into the GMND *and* into the MMAT).
Moreover (but this doesn't affect the recolour properties), the part 2 was missing for both (rebuilding the RCOL chair), and even part 1 was not performed for the chair (cleaning up the package).
Sorry to say, but though the meshes are interesting, the packages definitely were *not* built correctly.
But you are lucky, because thanks to the hard work by Quaxi, all the steps in this tutorial can be performed automatically by SimPE.
So, correct the GMNDs and the MMATs, then use the new "Fix Integrity" plugin.
Scholar
#46 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 9:51 AM
Oh, the objects posted had not been "fixed" - I only found your tutorial after posting them.

I have been reworking them here, but didn't want to post them again until all was correct. No point in having several versions floating around, all flawed.

After my first few attempts failed, I did find the new SimPE and used the plugin and used it, and also checked afterwards to see if it looked right.

I'll start over again from the beginning, though - I'm overlooking some key point, I'm sure.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#47 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 10:10 AM Last edited by numenor : 6th Feb 2005 at 10:22 AM.
You mean that after having corrected GMND and MMAT and having fixed the package it still doesn't work?

EDIT:
Odd... I've done exactly the things above to your original boombox, and it works (lok picture)
Screenshots
Scholar
#48 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 3:16 PM
OK, I tried again - still not working

Here is what I did -

Downloaded both my objects from my threads to make sure i have exactly the ones you do

Next, for each:

Open in SimPE Run the Fix Integrety plug-in
Enter new name as suggested in the plug-in instructions
Update - all names look to be changed
Save the file in a new folder
Follow only step 3 of your instructions, fixing the MMAT and the GMND
At each change, I commit, and save the file again

Result is this:
Chair seems to be ok, object workshop will load and save correctly, so I can make new colours. I make 3 colours (red, grey, and black) and save these

BoomBox:
Object Workshop saves only the MMAT to the recolour .package, nothing else, so I can't make a recolour

I put the chair and the new colours into the Downloads\ folder
In the game, the chair does now show colours - but not the ones I did. Instead, it shows several incorrect versions of the original blue, including invisible and various semi-transparent all-blue (see pictures)

================================

I also notice that you said to change the subset name in the MMAT [last line]

Maybe this is the problem, because I am confused. In SimPE the line that says "subset" is not last - I have changed this line, is this incorrect?
(see pic)

I also started over again and tried changing instead the very last line, but that makes Object Workshop save a completely blank recolour .package

Obviously I am doing something completely stupid, maybe the name is wrong, or I am changing the wrong thing, but I am at a loss....

I don't really have much understanding what any of these things mean, I am not good at this end of it. I am sorry I have wasted so much of your time on this, I promise this is the last question.
Screenshots
The ModFather
Original Poster
#49 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 5:03 PM
Looking at the second picture, I can see there's a problem.
Since your package wasn't "cleaned up" (part 1 of my tutorial), in your packages there are some "useless" MMATs: each of them creates a fake recolour in the catalog.
As a rule of thumb, only the MMATs that have the "defaultMaterial" field set to "True" should be kept (they are max 2); but this is *not* true for clean/dirty objects, or for lit/unlit objects.
Try removing the useless MMATs and try again (you have to re-create the recolour packages, too).
And don't worry about wasting my time: I'm glad to help someone that cares about creating a good package!
Scholar
#50 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 11:21 PM
OK, I have now got the chair working correctly! Thank you so much, I will post the new file in the thread. Removing the unused MMAT files seemed to be the needed fix.

But, I still can not get the BoomBox to work.

There is only one MMAT in the file, and it does have the defaultMaterial set to True

Also, I find in both files a section named Large Image File

It contains two images, both are of the original object's textures, not the ones I replaced them with.

Should I do something with this section?

Could this be the cause of the re-colouring problem I am having with the BoomBox?
Page 2 of 25