Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #3 - posted on 20th Oct 2017 at 9:54 PM
Replies: 605 (Who?), Viewed: 142817 times.
Page 3 of 25
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 1:09 AM
ok i have been following this along. I want to make sure i have everything correct before screwing up another package. since there is a new SimPE version i need to follow all your steps still, correct numenor?

also i read before you started step one about deleting the material definision files because they were not needed. so if i understand correctly i should delete all but the defualt material ones?

i am trying to understand the best i can on all this. i to like to have clean working packages and dont find it amusing to crash someones game. but i have to understand what i am doing and make sure i am doing it right. not only that i have already crashed my game a few times, so i know what that feels like.
bea
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:16 AM
DR PIXEL:
As for the LIFO files, you can safely remove them: they are no longer needed since you did the "Import Local LIFO" following the meh tutorial. I don't understand what is the problem with the boombox, it worked for me. I'm attaching the modified BoomBox and a test recolour (both EP-Ready): you can rename the package as you want and post it as is (but test it before!).
The ModFather
Original Poster
#53 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:25 AM
LADYBEA34:
If you use the new SimPE v015, you can jump Part 2. The remaining parts 1 and 3 still should be performed.
As for deleting the Material Overrides (*not* the Material Definitions!), you should:
1) take note of the names of the Material Definitions (don't delete them!)
2) check every Material Override: if the "Name" field refers to a Material Definition not in your list, then delete the Material Override.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
#54 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 12:40 PM
Thanks for the file. I will correct my version, but I also am going to compare to mine to find exactly where I went wrong. I really appreciate all your help with this.

I also once again re-did mine, using the new Fix Integrety plugin, and made the changes in Part 3 again also.

I did remove the LIFO section as well.

I did find, while looking through this now-fixed file, that my MMAT was still incorrect. The name had several groups of hash numbers stuck in front of it instead of the usual one group.

After correcting that, I was able to Export color .package files with Object Workshop, and made some recolours.

This still didn't work in the game, though. The BoomBox did now show the row of color op[tions, the correct number of them, but they all showed as the original red color, not the new ones. When put into the game, also no matter which of the options I chose it was always red. I checked the color .package files again, all had the correct coloured images in them....
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
7th Feb 2005 at 2:46 PM
This message has been deleted by LadyBea34. Reason: The town idiot found the question/answer
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 3:06 PM
ok i have a question. on the #3 part the last part where you change the gmnd area. There is a part with the original game mesh name on it and it shows all the material definitions names. I deleted all but the main color in material definition, so what should i do with these? (see image)

also after the package has been cleaned out, where shall i go to find out how to add new colors to it. i remember reading somewhere about the array that shows up in this area, but cant remember where it was or what it was exactly for.

thanks
bea
Screenshots
The ModFather
Original Poster
#56 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 3:40 PM
LadyBea, if your new mesh has a different name then the original one, you basically don't have to do anyting: once you have corrected the tsDesignModeEnabled block putting the new mesh name, there's no need to "clean up" the block shown in your pictures.

But if you kept the original mesh name, then you have to delete all those Arrays but one. Then you have to edit its name, using the name of the main Material Definition (the one related to this subset).
I have to check this, but I think that maybe you can simply delete all the entries and do nothing else...
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 3:47 PM
ohh ok. no mine has a different name as its a new object.

so now that i have a corrected object package, how do i go about making extra colors for it?
The ModFather
Original Poster
#58 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 4:04 PM
07 Feb 2005: *MAJOR UPDATE*

Since new specifications were defined for "EP-ready" packages, and a new version of SimPE (v 0.15) was released to comply with them, I had to rewrite the whole tutorial (and pics were added ).

Therefore, from now on, please refer to the new tutorial, and don't forget to download the new SimPE v 0.15 from http://sims.ambertation.de !

Numenor

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

The ModFather
Original Poster
#59 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 4:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBea34
ohh ok. no mine has a different name as its a new object.

so now that i have a corrected object package, how do i go about making extra colors for it?

In the tsDesignModeEnabled block, you should have only 1 Array, with the name of your new mesh.
Then you have to edit the Material Overrides: e.g. if your new mesh is "NewMesh1" has replaced the old mesh "parkbech", you have to edit the "SubsetName" of the MMAT, replacing "parkbench" with "NewMesh1".

I know, now you are going to yell at me... The complete procedure you have to follow is in post #2 ("Procedure A").

Lab Assistant
#60 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 4:23 PM Last edited by LadyBea34 : 7th Feb 2005 at 4:34 PM.
nooo im not going to yell at you, im just going to put you over my knee and spank you...lol.

ok i have gothicarbor = (Array) 0 items that is in the part i was asking about the gmnd

now in material override i have the one material defualt, i did change the subsetName to the correct part which is gothicarbor, but the name )dtString has some numbers/letters then the name of what i put when i first did the package and after that has the original models name of parkbench_oak.

so ok im going to number 2 now...well edit if i get stuck somewhere.

bea

EDIT: ok readin in your procedure A which i have done everything show correctly. now my question to you is...on this part
Quote:
Note: if you have decided to enable colour options for two subsets, instead then only one, you can edit both lines (instead then deleting the second one).

i only had one name to begin with, so how would i go about adding in another? That way i can get more than just one color choice enabled.
Scholar
#61 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 4:31 PM
Just to let you know, the final problem (the all recolours showing as the original colour) was nothing to do with the new object .package at all -

I was so happy I finally got it working, I was forgetting to "commit" after importing the new colours.

I used your version of the .package file anyway, so as to keep the Italian translation. And my thanks again.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 4:56 PM
Numenor , what are the implications of these new re-colouring requirements for existing re-colours/new meshes already installed?
The ModFather
Original Poster
#63 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 6:13 PM
LADYBEA:
The "name(dtString)" value is the name of the default material definition, with the leading "##01C050000!" prefix, that is called forced relocation. SimPE does everything by itself, so you don't have to edit that.

As for a second colour option, it is possible only if there are two meshes; if this is the case, you can go to the tsDesignModeEnabled block and click the "Add" link located in the lower-right corner. Another Array will be inserted in the block, and you have to edit its name using the name of the second mesh. Then you have to clone the existing Material Override, change its Instance number (increase the Instance by one), edit the "SubsetName" with the second mesh name and finally edit the "name" with the default Material Definition used by the second mesh.

DR PIXEL:
I'm glad that it worked. You can't even imagine how many times I forget to commit, too!

ILIKEFISHFOOD:
We are strongly suggesting to the creators to update their packages, using the new "Fix Integrity" plugin in SimPE.
In the new/updated packages, all the RCOL files (TXTR, MATD....) are assigned to a new Global Group 0x1C050000, while previously all the files were in the Local Group 0xFFFFFFFF. This allows the user to rename the packages (without having the flashing blue texture), helps the game to find easier the resources and avoids conflicts between different objects, including the ones that will be shipped with the next Expansion Packs.
That's why we strongly recommend everybody to update his own creations, and start creating new packages with the new procedure (and the new SimPE v015).
The Quiet One
#64 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 6:31 PM Last edited by daysies : 7th Feb 2005 at 6:35 PM.
Numenor,

I have like 10,000 files in my Downloads directory. If I'm willing to take on this challenge myself, I should be able to fix them all without having to redownload them, correct? Also, do I have to change all the file names, too, or is this just a simple matter of clicking an extra box somewhere (and saving and committing, or committing and saving) and retaining the original filename? I do not want to have to download everything all over again. I just don't have the patience.

On the flipside, and I don't know if you could answer this, but if I decide to play University solely on a newly created neighborhood, will my existing recolors still work on the Maxis originals or my pre-EP-created custom neighborhoods? I plan on having an EP-safe subdirectory(s) in Downloads. Let me know if that makes sense to you.

Edit:
Well, you already answered the second part of my post here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43472
The ModFather
Original Poster
#65 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 8:28 PM
If we are talking about recolour packages, the filename should already contain the 128-bit hash (like in the picture); in this case, hitting "OK" would be enough.
Some older recolour packages, and all the re-meshed objects currently downloadable on the forum don't have the 128-bit hash; many re-meshed objects don't even have a custom filename (the creator kept the original neme). In these cases, you definitely have to rename it, either creating a suitable unique filename or adding a 128-bit hash using the "hash generator" plugin.
Screenshots
The Quiet One
#66 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:06 PM
Sorry, Numenor, I wasn't clear. Yes, I was talking about recolor packages only.

I'm getting really confused, but let me try it out before I post again. Now is the time to start reorganizing all my downloads.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#67 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:31 PM Last edited by numenor : 7th Feb 2005 at 9:35 PM.
Maybe I'm confusing you even more, since I'm giving you half an answer here and half on the CEP thread
Let me summarize: as a rule of thumb, all the recolour packages should be updated (Fix Integrity); most of them don't need to be renamed, because they already have the 128-bit hash (that looooong number) in their filenames.
The only exceptions are the oldest recolours (that you can recognize because *all* the files inside have GroupID 0xFFFFFFFF): if they work and you don't need to rename them, you may choose not to update them (no Fix Integrity); updating them wouldn't hurt, anyway.
Maybe sorting your download folder by date will help you finding the older recolours.

My suggestion is to wait a little: you are not the one with this problem. Maybe, if all of you join together showing your most moving puppy eyes, Quaxi will find a way to batch update all the downloads... :Puppy::Puppy::Puppy:
The Quiet One
#68 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
Maybe I'm confusing you even more, since I'm giving you half an answer here and half on the CEP thread
Let me summarize: as a rule of thumb, all the recolour packages should be updated (Fix Integrity); most of them don't need to be renamed, because they already have the 128-bit hash (that looooong number) in their filenames.
The only exceptions are the oldest recolours (that you can recognize because *all* the files inside have GroupID 0xFFFFFFFF): if they work and you don't need to rename them, you may choose not to update them (no Fix Integrity); updating them wouldn't hurt, anyway.
Maybe sorting your download folder by date will help you finding the older recolours.

My suggestion is to wait a little: you are not the one with this problem. Maybe, if all of you join together showing your most moving puppy eyes, Quaxi will find a way to batch update all the downloads... :Puppy::Puppy::Puppy:

Thank you so much for summarizing this, Numenor. I greatly appreciate it. :D

Okay, if Quaxi sees this thread, here are my puppy dog eyes:

:Puppy::Puppy::Puppy: :Puppy::Puppy::Puppy: :Puppy::Puppy::Puppy: :Puppy::Puppy::Puppy:

I don't think I have a lot of older recolors. Those recolors I probably won't keep anyway.

DDO
Scholar
#69 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 2:10 AM
I'm back, unfortunately with more recolour problems.

Some downloaders pointed out that the new versions of both my chair and boombox, the recolours do not "stick" after they leave the lot, and return again.

I tested, and this is true.

I was able to semi-fix this by changing the MMAT in the main .packages (the one with the mesh inside)

I set the Default Material to False (0) rather than True.

This does make the chosen color remain if I leave the lot, and return.

But, it also will allow the user to go into Design mode, and be able to delete the main object file itself as if it were just a recolour. And this will cause the game to crash, so it is not a good solution.

I don't have any ideas on what else I could do - do you have any suggestions?
Instructor
#70 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 3:10 AM
Quaxi is already working on the Batch thingy. I didn't include it in the Test Release, because i first wanted to be sure that there are no major Problems. :D

@Dr Pixel:
Did SimPE set the Default Property in that Recolor to true?
Ice Princess
#71 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 3:13 AM
yaya Quaxi thankyou!!
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 3:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxi
Quaxi is already working on the Batch thingy. I didn't include it in the Test Release, because i first wanted to be sure that there are no major Problems. :D

Quaxi, have I mentioned enough how much I love you? You are an angel.
Scholar
#73 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 4:32 AM
Quote:

@Dr Pixel:
Did SimPE set the Default Property in that Recolor to true?

The recolours were all set to "false"

The original object I made was set to "true"

This didn't work - the recolours would show up, and could be used in the game. But, after leaving the lot, and going back, the object would now have the color of the original object again.

==============================

I can make it work by changing the MMAT in my original object to "false", so there is then NO default texture for the object at all.

Then, I can pick any colour, and it will still be there when I go back to the lot.

But, this will allow the user to go into the "design" mode, where you can choose a new color for an object, and they could delete the color of the object itself - this makes the game crash.

================================

I can also set the Default of the MMAT of the object itself, AND of all the recolours, to True. So now, EVERY colour is the Default. This also makes the colours stay on the object when I leave the lot. But, also allows the user to delete the object itself in Design mode.

===================================

I think this is because the object itself is marked by the game as "user-created" with the * on it, so the game thinks it is just a recolour and is OK to delete. But, I don't know how I would get rid of the "user created" flag?
The Quiet One
#74 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 4:49 AM
Quote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This will save me from going blind and developing a worse case of carpel tunnel syndrome. Thank you, thank you! (See, Numenor, those puppy dog eyes did work!) :Puppy:

DDO
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 7:15 AM
Hi. I'm popping in here with what very well may be a dumb question, but I'm having a problem. Here's my story...

I made a remake of the 4x4 ceiling lamp...it's simple...I just changed the square lampshades to globes in Milkshape. I did this in SimPE 14h. I didn't even add my own texture...I just wanted to see if it worked...and it did...I got a new object and it showed all the colors from the original object as choices...and everything worked fine. Then I upgraded to SimPE 15 and all of the lamps were flashing blue. So, I followed the tutorial here and removed all the Material overrides that referred to all the colors other than the one I had the MATD files for. None of the names of my shapes changed. I still have the three original ones (bulb, metal, and shade). After removing all the extra material overrides, I only had one lamp, with no color options and that works fine. I checked to be sure all the recolor options were turned on, as it shows in this tutorial and they are. So, I used the Object Workshop to open this object to recolor it. I simply changed the blue globe to red. But, when I go into the game, I choose my lamp and it shows both shades in the catalog...one blue and one red. so, the thumbnail is working. However, when I choose the red lamp from the catalog and put it in the house, it's blue....looks just like the default one. Why would the thumbnail show up correctly, but the lamp is still blue? I deleted the thumbnail file but it still shows up red....I then deleted the whole file and created it from scratch in SimPE 15 and again, the original one works great, but the recolor only shows in the catalog thumbnail and not in the game. what have I missed here?

Here's pictures of my red thumbnail and blue lamp. If you want to see the pkg files I can upload them too if necessary.

Thanks to all of you who have worked so hard to do this for us....I'm in awe of your abilities.
Page 3 of 25