Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 23 (Who?), Viewed: 4445 times.
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 5:56 PM
Too many Sims dying of old age?
My Sims seem to have it too easy. They all die of old age, and a few are swallowed by story progression but not that many. I've never had an meteors, never any freak accidents in which a Sim has died, ever in the Sims3!

Is/was anyone else in the same situation? Does everyone have a near 100% death by old age rate? How often does a Sim die of another cause for you? Do you use mods to increase the risks of other causes?

I know this sounds cruel but it is a video game and I'm starting to get bored! It's not very realistic. Would be nice if your sims could get ill.

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 6:59 PM
I have a 100% death rate by old age. Yeah, I've never had a sim die of any other cause but old age. I don't use any mods, what I do is stop playing my sims once they get old. They often die alone and lonely in their houses. I was thinking of downloading ani's Dexter mod to kill them instead, but idk.
Theorist
#3 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 7:42 PM
I've never had a sim I was controlling die for any reason because none of them ever made it to old age yet. I think if I didn't force the female sim in my Riverview game to eat, she might have starved to death though. She'll be hungry, so I'll have her cook a meal and if I forget to direct her to grab a plate, she'll wander off to the painting studio and leave the food steaming on the counter.
Until recently I played with EA story progression, and at first it seemed like very little ever happened in the town. But after one of the WA patches, things got really crazy. There were weeks where 3 townspeople would die of starvation, drowning and fire. A toddler starved to death in my Twinbrook game. And then there's the whole musical houses thing where townies just randomly move to a different house even if it makes no sense.
I kind of wish that something random would happen to the family I'm controlling. It would add some excitement to the game. If you're controlling the sim, it doesn't really make sense for them to die of starvation, or drowning. Maybe fire or electrocution if they have no handiness skill. They could come up with some other things - sickness (as Lemon&Lime said) and car accidents, for example
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 8:12 PM
Car accidents is a good one. I thought that they might add a risk to using cars along with the new stuff pack, that would have been cool. Also would have been a good PR moment for EA - educating kids about the dangerous of driving fast. That leads to another thing, no speed limits in the Sims world! What a bad impression that gives to kids, not going to allow any of mine (when I have them) to play it now. :P

Theorist
#5 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 9:08 PM
Not to mention how weird it looks when cars drive right through pedestrians and other cars.
Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 2:49 AM
Fifth generation of my mansion, everyone who has died has died from old age.

They just made the game too damn easy. Escaping fire is easy, you get singed the first time you have an accident with electronic repair, and on top of that the chances are already low.

Its just too easy not to die.
Eminence Grise
staff: moderator
#7 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 3:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeWolf
They just made the game too damn easy. Escaping fire is easy, you get singed the first time you have an accident with electronic repair, and on top of that the chances are already low.

Its just too easy not to die.

To be fair, this is not a survival horror game Keeping sims alive is not SUPPOSED to be difficult.

The challenge in the Sims, to the extent that their IS one, comes from time management... accomplishing long-term goals while keeping their short-term needs met.

If they made it really difficult to keep your sims breathing, you'd lose the sandbox aspect of the game.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 3:21 PM
All my sims have died of old age. I think the problem is that they have a relatively good AI this time around which makes "stupid" deaths near impossible. I only had one sim die of anything other than old age and it was a random CAS and I got a notification that she'd died of starvation about 30 seconds after I placed her in the neighborhood so I think that might have been a glitch.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect...Hungry
Forum Resident
#9 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 6:20 PM
So quit yer bellyachin' and DO something about it! Have your Sims tempt fate by repairing appliances over puddles! Have them spend every spare minute at the telescope to summon meteors! Cook without a smoke detector! Got WA? Send those buggers running all breakneck-like through dungeon traps and have them pick fights with every mummy they bump into!

Bottom line: if you want moar drama, ya gotta make it yourself. ;D
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 7:39 PM
I don't play EA story progression because too many of my CAS sims were dying out the game. I don't know if Twallan's SP is causing this or just gameplay, but last week, I had two meteor showers. One when my sim was practicing with the martial arts dummy on my chinese park, got the warning the sim wonders why it was dark, figured it was the meteors and sent him inside the gym next to the park. A couple of townies that didn't move where hit and killed. My active sim collected the meteors and they were profitable. My sim was able to move from his starter lot.

When my sim finally married his long time girlfriend, they had a wedding on a beach lot. Got the warning again and was able to move them to the inside of the building on the lot, tried to call over several of the guests, but the meteors hit and lost only one townie. Again, my sim was able to profit from collecting the meteors and buy a larger house.

That was enough for me. Don't want to see anymore meteorite hits, but I figure it goes along with having lots of gameplay, IMHO.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 7:40 PM
One lovely night when my Sim was enjoying a bit of fresh air, instead of sleeping in her bed in her home, Steampunk Ahoy!, she opted to sleep like a queen in her Sultan's Tabernacle (tent) where a meteor out of nowhere came down, dead-center, and SPLAT! she died.

I was never so grateful for the option to quit without saving the game.

I had another meteor strike hit a different house but my Sim was away at his favorite fishing spot. His exterior-mounted fire alarm brought the fire department in time to save his home. He just kept right on fishing.

A third meteor strike hit the corner of another house and again, the fire department arrived to deal with it since the fire alarm was mounted on the outside of the house.
Scholar
#12 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:17 PM
I haven't had any of my sims actually die yet, but I haven't had any of the doofus mishaps I had in Sims 1 and 2 either. I actually prefer that they die of old age rather than by Darwinistic thinning of the gene pool....I get a little attached to them.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 9:42 PM
I've only ever had one meteor strike, and it didn't kill anyone, thankfully, since it was on my own home lot and none of the townies that came to gawk actually got in the way.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 2:14 AM
Lethal Laurie, apparently your screen name fits your personality!!! LOL...

And to the OP, why not dl some mods that increase the odds of tragedy. I got a mod that increases the chance of meteor death and got one immediately. Also, as someone mentioned, Dexter's bear. My problem tho' is even if I want more drama in my game, I can't stand to lose any of my beloved sims and always exit without saving the deaths. :b
Theorist
#15 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 2:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaurie
So quit yer bellyachin' and DO something about it! ;D

If you have to engineer a fatal accident for your sim, it's not going to be much of a surprise.
(I'm so embarrassed to be bellyachin', an activity heretofore unknown to this forum.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 12:33 PM
I've never ever had a meteor strike whereabouts can I find the mod which increases the chance?

Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 2:47 PM
When just installed and after fresh re-installs, it seems that my sims and townies are more likely to die from un-natural causes.
I figure the game has less crap and saves to go through so generates better game play. I think I need to uninstall and start fresh.
I never had a meteor hit.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 3:08 PM
I think you might get an increased chance of meteor strikes if you make sure to add a fire department from Ambitions to your town. That's been my experience.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 9:13 PM
@edejan, Haha, guilty! XD

@Rosecity, All the methods I suggested don't necessarily have a 100% death guarantee. What I'm saying is to have the Sims behave more recklessly, engage in actions that would endanger their little pixel-lives. Way I see it, if you have them deal in risky business it's only a matter of time before something will catch up to them, and it might not be an option counted on. It'll be like Russian roulette, only with more fire and mummies--what's not exciting about that? :D
Test Subject
#20 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 7:17 PM
I love the fact my sims wont die of silly things like standing still and screaming at a fire instead of doing something about it! Or killing themselves while trying to fix a tv! Does hanging something above a fire like a painting still increase the chances of a fire or taking the steps away in the pool cause them to fall asleep in the pool and drown? I used to make sim versions of people I didn't like and put them in rooms without doors and have them pee themselves lol.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 7:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro-Akita
Does hanging something above a fire like a painting still increase the chances of a fire or taking the steps away in the pool cause them to fall asleep in the pool and drown?

I'm not sure about the painting above the fireplace bit--never tried it in either game.
But this generation's Sims are at least smart enough to be able to climb out of the pool without needing ladders. That's why you build walls or a fence around the pool instead. XD
Test Subject
#22 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 7:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaurie
I'm not sure about the painting above the fireplace bit--never tried it in either game.
But this generation's Sims are at least smart enough to be able to climb out of the pool without needing ladders. That's why you build walls or a fence around the pool instead. XD

It's nice to see the AI is better though! My favourite sim on the sims 2 died from being a bad cook and not bothering to phone the fire brigade or attempt to put the fire out. Instead she just stood there panicing!
Scholar
#23 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 8:15 PM
I dont know, I find the "are you sure you want to kill this Sim" thing the game seems to have both a blessing and a curse. By that I mean that if you want to kill a Sim of anything but old age, it pretty much has to be deliberate.

On the one hand, I understand that alot of players get REALLY fracked off when their favourite Sim dies of stupidness, im guessing thats what the "check" is for.

Me on the other hand, if my Sim gets shocked when upgrading/repairing something (just as an example) then I figure its their time to go, and I just go ahead and tell them to carry straight on with what they were doing. Then again, I like to interfere in my Sim's lives as little as possible, beyond getting them jobs or completing challenge goals.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Alchemist
#24 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 12:07 AM
if i notice too many sims dying of old age in town (and because i am a sick, twisted individual, i usually kill my favorite sims while theyre young adults, for the sake of resurrecting something that doesnt look like it should REMAIN dead) i usually make an Evil Mean Spirited homicidal maniac, give him ani_'s dexter bear*, and go to town. :D

*greatest mod item in the history of mod items, btw. <333

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Section jump