Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 20 (Who?), Viewed: 26128 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 5:30 AM
Default Twallan Story Progression Mod
Hi. I've had Sims 3 for about a year now, and I'm only just about to start playing it due to computer complications and being too lazy to have them fixed, until now.

I've heard alot of bad things about Story Progression Mode, but apparently alot of these issues have been taken care of through new patches.

I'd like this mode to stay enabled, but have just a bit more control over my Sims - just a few things, e.g. I don't want them moving out, falling in love with other Sims, breaking up, etc unless I'm taking control of that household.

I've heard a bit about Twallan Story Progression mode, and think this might be the best solution. Does anyone else have this downloaded, and would they reccomened it? Or is there something better that people are using? I've also read a bit about AWESOMEMOD, but I don't know, I just want what's best.

Not really sure if this is a help topic, or if it's fine to post here? If not, I do apologise. Thanks in advance for the help.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 6:10 AM
i have it, but itd take a lot of tweaking to get it to be as uninvolved as you want it to be. you cant have TSPM enabled AND EA's cruddy story progression on at the same time.

personally, i find that the plethora of options and flexibility of involvement to be far more awesome than awesome mod. yes, i said it.
>_>
<_<

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 6:46 AM
Yes! Not to poo-poo AwesomeMod, but there were features that I didn't like and couldn't adjust. When I found Twallan's SP, I was thrilled with the options and being in controlled in certain parts of my sim's life and not so invasive in others, cause it takes care on its own, through the mod.

While checking out the story progression by Twallan, read up on the careers mod and story progression extended mod, with the stories. I love the notifications from the extended mod.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Banned
#4 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 1:23 PM
I think even Pescado would admit that Awesome mod will not control the community's population. You can have huge swings, from baby booms which overwhelm the town, to a town dying off because there are not enough babies. This is in keeping with Awesome mod's bottom up design philosophy. Twallan's story progression is very much top down and does not hesitate to impose population control I have found that TSP has a good job of maintaining an optimum population.
Instructor
#5 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 1:39 PM
You can use both Story Progression from Twallan and Awesomemod. I recently added Awesomemod to my game to enable the "more than 8 sims in a household" functionality. In fact, I use:

By Twallan:
Story Progression
Story Progression, Expanded
Master Controller
Overwatch
Decensor
Register
Sleep Freedom
Woohooer

All of this with Awesomemod, using the config tool provided at More Stupid than You: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/t...some/config.php

Do be aware they take some tweaking, both for the neighborhood as a whole and for each household you want to "protect". Good luck!

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Instructor
#6 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 2:59 PM
Awesome mod will expire every few days and lock you out of your game, making you update constantly - and meaning if you don't feel like dealing with updating and config you can't play. And if you need help, forget it. You'll just get called names and stuff if you post on the site.

Twallan's stuff is updated continuously, but if you don't feel like updating right now you don't have to, or if something isn't working right you can go back to a previous version. Also, he has a lot of "stand-alone" type mods that are really great (the post above lists some fo them.) Not to mention if you need help you get it without any flak. Oh, and it does allow more than 8 sims in a house now.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 3:28 PM
Hmmm...
I've been meaning to try this mod out too.
But it appears that the site is down...? And I'm not finding another place to download.

Lv20 Magikarp
apocalypticsimstumblr
Inventor
#8 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 3:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoCat
Awesome mod will expire every few days and lock you out of your game, making you update constantly - and meaning if you don't feel like dealing with updating and config you can't play. And if you need help, forget it. You'll just get called names and stuff if you post on the site.

That's an exaggeration. Awesomemod is not in need of updating every few days. I play with it and rarely even need to think about it. When there's a new patch or expansion released is the only time it becomes necessary. Every once in a while there's an update between those times but it's not like it's sudden. There's a warning when you open the game that it will expire on such and such date. You go to the site and get the new one and plop it in. Really not that big of a deal. In fact, I prefer this by gigantic leaps over trying to figure out which one of my mods has expired and is causing my game to crash.

Honestly, I don't know why it needs to be a competition. It always seems like it is whenever this is discussed. Some people like Awesomemod, some prefer Twallan's story progression and some people prefer to use them together.

kittens!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 5:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypticautumn
But it appears that the site is down...? And I'm not finding another place to download.

My apologies on that, it appears that my hosting site is having some difficulties at the moment.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Cheers.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Alchemist
#10 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 5:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedblue
Honestly, I don't know why it needs to be a competition. It always seems like it is whenever this is discussed. Some people like Awesomemod, some prefer Twallan's story progression and some people prefer to use them together.

I agree. I'm just glad we have more than one option. AM, the only time I tried it crashed my game, so I had Twallan's to use.
Instructor
#11 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 6:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedblue
That's an exaggeration. Awesomemod is not in need of updating every few days. I play with it and rarely even need to think about it. When there's a new patch or expansion released is the only time it becomes necessary. Every once in a while there's an update between those times but it's not like it's sudden. There's a warning when you open the game that it will expire on such and such date. You go to the site and get the new one and plop it in. Really not that big of a deal. In fact, I prefer this by gigantic leaps over trying to figure out which one of my mods has expired and is causing my game to crash.

The last time I had it in my game it did come up every few days and tell me to replace it and lock me out. I would put the new one in and get the same thing, and it kept repeating. I pulled it at that point. Besides, nagging software is annoying. After seeing the MS "update now" stuff for years I'm pretty annoyed by now.

And think of it this way, if it expires and isn't updated for a week or two (due to illness or other unforeseen bad stuff) you're locked out of your game. Yeah, I'm pathetic, I think of stuff like that... other than that, use whatever story mod you want. It's not a competition (at least that I was aware of.) It's more of a convenience thing. And it's a lot of hard work for the people writing them, but I'm glad they do it

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 11:42 PM
Thanks so much for the advice everyone!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 1:22 AM
Just another question - when using the Twallan mod, is it best to have EA's Story Progression mode turned off?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 1:26 AM
No. As far as I know, that would disable story mode altogether.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 1:28 AM
Okay, thanks very much.
Instructor
#16 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 1:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoCat
Oh, and it does allow more than 8 sims in a house now.

It does, except I get a pop up saying something along the lines of: "You need a core mod in order to enable the function of more than 8 sims per household". That's with the newest version, downloaded just yesterday.

And Awesomemod has yet to lock me out of my game or tell me to update.

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Field Researcher
#17 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 1:58 AM Last edited by potatoehead : 26th Oct 2010 at 2:09 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranissa

That's odd... it's coded to do that every week or two. Me, I don't know what all the fuss is about. All you have to do is go to MATY, download another copy, and put it in the Mods/Packages folder. This forces me to keep updated- and Pescado does update the mod quite frequently.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 6:26 AM
Quote:

I stopped getting the update notice more than a month ago. I thought it was just cause Pescado was waiting for Late Night, but if that's not the case, then I wonder...

Anyway, I use both AwesomeMod and Twallan's mods together, and that's what I recommend. I use Awesome Mod for the major stuff and Twallan's mods for fine tuning. I really like Twallan's Story Progression, and I use Awesome Mods 'Fixall' option quite a bit. So yeah, I really wouldn't want to have to choose.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 5:27 PM
Quote:
It does, except I get a pop up saying something along the lines of: "You need a core mod in order to enable the function of more than 8 sims per household". That's with the newest version, downloaded just yesterday.

I still have that ye ol' message in there ? Probably should remove it now.

Thanks for the heads up.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Test Subject
#20 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 6:30 PM
how do I turn it off? so it wont run when im off? p.s great mod.
Instructor
#21 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAlex102
how do I turn it off? so it wont run when im off? p.s great mod.

Your question is not clear. For Questions re NRaas Story Progression, you would be better off to ask your question over at NRaas
This thread is over 4 years old.

Section jump