Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 12:29 AM
Default Custom scripts crash game patched 1.17 ?!
I patched my game today (1.17.6)
When I'm in buy mode and I select a custom object with a custom script, my game crashes.
Someone has same problem ?
And this problem can be resolved or each creator needs to update his script ?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 1:36 AM
If the object or mod crashes your game, then yes it's best to remove it and look for an update from the creator.
Theorist
#3 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 1:39 AM
Yeah apparently so Some people told me about it in my threads and asked me to update my mods but I have no idea what to update since I haven't patched and I haven't got the pack yet. I don't know why it would crash the game in the catalog, could be the script, but then again it seems that most object mods have the same problem...
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#4 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by silverfox
And this problem can be resolved or each creator needs to update his script ?
Unfortunately, the issue is not caused by the script itself. I'm trying to figure out what is causing it, but I'm clueless right now. I've rebuilt the BoxOfSeeds from scratch, but it crashes the game just the same. Might be that S3OC needs to be updated, but then again: objects that don't use custom scripts don't seem to be affected.

Time to move this thread to Modding Discussion, maybe?

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 1:19 PM Last edited by whiterider : 28th Oct 2010 at 2:23 PM.
I have heard from some window creators that objects which are clones of clones from S3OC seem to be causing problems, this could perhaps be related - although some (non-modded) TSRW objects are also experiencing similar problems. I'll bump this over to modding discussion if, well, it develops into discussion about the causes/solutions.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#6 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 1:19 PM
No log file created when the game crashes? Maybe I should go and get the EP and install it myself... Or is it happening with the patch too?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 3:02 PM
The crashing is happening with just the patch, Treeag, as well. I've got many problem windows but that's my only problem so far.

I only have the patch installed, but I have suffered a few crashes since installing it.
#8 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag
No log file created when the game crashes?
There's a crash log, but as always it doesn't really give any useful information. Something seems to run into an infinite recursion as the immediate cause of the crash is a stack overflow. As Reachsims pointed out, it happens for every game patched to version 0.2.0.125.

I've investigated a little further. As soon as an object references a custom script, it causes the crashing in buymode. If the object references a script from the Sims3 namespace or no script at all, the game doesn't crash. Objects referencing non-existent scripts, crash the game as well. Objects already existing in the game, work just fine with custom scripts.

As I said, the script itself is not the cause. My two object mods (one is still in the queue) are derived from GameObject and basically coded from scratch, so critical changes might affect them. To make sure, I checked it with one of the VanishingScript classes which are derived from fully functional TS3 classes and don't change any "low-level" stuff, but the issue is just the same.

It may very well be that EAxis borked something that can't be resolved by changing the objects themselves. Since the devs haven't really shown any interest in actively supporting mods and their own objects work just fine, this doesn't bode too well.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Objects already existing in the game, work just fine with custom scripts.

Yes, I saw this. Objects already in existing in the game, work fine. But, after a while, game crashes finally. I removed all custom scripts in my game, and I have no crash, now.
#10 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by silverfox
Yes, I saw this. Objects already in existing in the game, work fine. But, after a while, game crashes finally. I removed all custom scripts in my game, and I have no crash, now.
What kind of "while" are we talking about? Were these objects' scripts updated already? Are you speaking of objectless scripts as well? I have played the game for ~2 hours yesterday with all my mods in the game, and didn't have any crashes.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 6:29 PM
@ buzzler
Sorry, I have spoken too hastily. Indeed, at first, my game runs correctely with all scripts already in game. I removed them because I has another problem.
My game starts to crash when I put scripts back in my Mod folder.
#12 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 6:59 PM
@silverfox: Err, isn't that the same you wrote in the last post? About which specific scripts are you talking? Are these scripts updated for the latest patch? Is this the same issue or a different one?

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 7:41 PM
Well, obviously if any of the s3pi tools needs updating it's not gonna help any objects that are already incompatible with the game. My hunch would be that there is something similar to the pets thing going on, that they added attributes or interactions to some of the stuff that wasn't there when we made the existing objects - so the game calls something on them that isn't there.

They may need remaking to pick up any new bits to them, but it won't *necessarily* mean changing the way the tools work.

If someone could send me, or give me a download link to, one or more specific example objects causing problems for the first time in LN, that would be helpful please.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#14 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:04 PM Last edited by Buzzler : 28th Oct 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
My hunch would be that there is something similar to the pets thing going on, that they added attributes or interactions to some of the stuff that wasn't there when we made the existing objects - so the game calls something on them that isn't there.
Maybe. Does S3OC do some sort of "recompiling" of the object's resources?

Quote:
If someone could send me, or give me a download link to, one or more specific example objects causing problems for the first time in LN, that would be helpful please.
Every object that references a custom script will cause the crash. You can use my Box Of Seeds. It's cloned from fishingChest but the OBJD is altered since the original object was never meant to be used that way. I've also attached my ScribblingPad. It's cloned from BookSchoolbook and should be unaltered (unless my memory is failing again), except for the room and placement flags. Both contain and reference scripts that were updated for the latest patch.

#15 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:29 PM
Not to the extent that Workshop does. Mainly any rewriting of resources would be during renumbering, as all resources that contain TGI refs will need altering and writing back to contain references to the renumbered resources. Also if the user asked to have catalog data changed, then it will have to write back the catalog resource. It wouldn't touch the contents of a script resource though.

I'd like to see some of the non-custom-script objects (ie new meshes etc) that are broken too.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#16 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:39 PM
I'd like to see some of the non-custom-script objects (ie new meshes etc) that are broken too.
I think Kolipoki's Ghost Hunting Mod and cmo's Book of Knowledge use custom meshes.

#17 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:41 PM
I mean something that does not have a custom script at all.

#18 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:51 PM
I mean something that does not have a custom script at all.
The issue doesn't seem to affect objects that don't use custom scripts. By altering the OBJK's scriptclass reference to an EAxian script or deleting the reference altogether, the object won't crash the game anymore. Of course the object will be completely useless then.

#19 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:53 PM
I have just tested my original custom script toilet in Late Night and it worked as it always has done. Now we have to find out what the difference is between that and the things that are breaking....

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:56 PM
@ buzzler :
I done some tests, and I don't understand what's happen. I put some custom scripts in my Mods folder ; I started game and I have no crash with the objects already in game; I tried with and without deletion of scriptCache : no problem.
Yesterday my game crashed with custom scripts ?!

Problem in BuyMode catalog is present again.
I used custom scripts not updated.
I don't tried with updated scripts, but I saw in downloads section, your box of seeds crashes in BuyMode too.

@ Inge Jones :
I haven't cc with custom meshes crashing game.
I send you a cc with custom meshes AND custom script, if this helps you.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MTS_silverfox_1093314_MagicWaterPump.rar (330.1 KB, 21 downloads) - View custom content
#21 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 8:57 PM
I have just tested my original custom script toilet in Late Night and it worked as it always has done.
So you can actually buy it? Could you post a link to it, please? I'd like to have a look at the script. Maybe there's something I missed script-wise.

#22 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 9:00 PM
Buy it and use it, and save the game after.

http://dino.drealm.info/den/exacc/T...rNewClass_B.rar

#23 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 9:17 PM
Fuck. It seems to be the namespace. You used Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Plumbing.Mimics. I just changed the namespace of my BoxOfSeeds from TwoBTech to Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.TwoBTech and it doesn't crash the game anymore. I even thought of trying to change the namespace to something more Sims3-ish before, but didn't because I thought that couldn't be the cause... Can it really be that simple/weird/younameit?

#24 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 9:25 PM
Well if that is the problem, then EA are being quite foolish. I made that toilet before it had occurred to me it would be more sensible to use my own namespace, and I would have thought the last thing we want is everyone leaping into EA namespace. But what about classes that are not buyable objects? I used my own namespace for my lotsizes mod and that is working ok but of course it is not a buyable object.

Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 9:36 PM
I'm running into the same problem with SleepFreedom, where I replace the OBJK of certain beds with a custom script.

The minidump from the CTD made reference to the Sims Store... So I suspect the game-engine is now using the scripting class as a lookup value when comparing the objects to store items.

If the scripting class name doesn't match what they are looking for, the game crashes.

Simple enough fix... Though completely non-intuitive, since using someone else's namespace is not something I would have ever considered.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Page 1 of 2