Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 10:38 PM
Default bridgeport is "overwhelming" to a degree?
i'll be honest.. i've never felt this way about any sims neighborhood before but in bridgeport, i feel like it's way too big and there are way too many clubs. the nights are always short so while the sims are busy going up to the 'dance floor' or wherever in the elevator/constantly getting in each others way, it seems like you get very little time to do anything before it closes.. i might just be impatient, but it takes them forever to finish a drink and when i want to direct them to do something else the drink will disappear anyway (unless you go in the hot tub or talk to another sim) so it's wasted money anyway. & i haven't really found anything in the drinks that made them "worth buying".. so far. the only moodlet i've gotten from the drinks that do *something* are the love ones (i forgot which exactly) and sometimes it'll give you the party animal/insane traits but i think that the temporary change of traits is just annoying anyways. am i honestly the only one who feels this way about bridgeport?

maybe it's just more noticeable to me because BP sort of lags my game anyway, so everything is slower moving. :\ whatever it is, i'm sticking to twinbrook again.

but one other thing that annoyed me was that more than half of the town (everyone besides the celebrities) lives in high rises, so almost nobody has a car. i'm constantly seeing taxi's zoom around everywhere. it annoyed me, but the fact that it's a city is more understandable.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 11:38 PM
There are a few things I hate about the new neighbourhood;

The lack of empty lots to build on, and also the lack of flat land to place new lots on with WE.

The lack of a more friendly and accessible way for editing/adding to existing high-rise apartments.

The fact that becoming a celebrity is so easy.

Every third person seems to be in the investigator career. It's getting ridiculous, everyone is dressed up with the hat and dark glasses outfit.

The nightclubs never seem to be that full, even when going to a hotspot most of the people there are non celebrities (or only 1 star celebs) and are refused entry.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 11:39 PM
christmas fear--I felt that way at first (my sims were always too exhausted and I never had fun at clubs). Then I tried Twallan's relativity mod for the first time (it slows down time in the game). It made LN into tons of fun. I basically kept the game time relatively normal during the day but slow down to 20-40% of normal at night. So now, I have time to go to 1-2 clubs, order drinks, meet new sims, feed my vampires (lots of work sometimes) and generally enjoy the new features of the game. It made LN playable for me because I now have time to do things like raise skills but enjoy the new venues, etc.

So far it has caused no issues for me (that I can tell). But it made the game and Bridgeport a lot better because now 1-2 hours don't go by just waiting for the elevator. You may want to give it a try if you still want to enjoy the urban feel (something I really like, although I loved Twinbrook too).
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 12:03 AM
After the very first sip a drink no longer does anything. It's just an animation. You should play with the mixology skill to figure out some of the effects you can get. The best one is probably Energy, which if made by a talented mixologist can allow a sim to ignore how tired they are, much like coffee, except for 8 whole hours and with no negative side effects. A sim can drink just 3 a day and never have to sleep again.

Further, drinks can be enhanced with various ingredients to add additional effects. Some of the bars around town have default drinks that are always made with specific ingredients. Some examples are drinks made with plasma fruit that significantly restores a vampire's thirst, or drinks made with flame fruit that add a positive moodlet. Again you only need to take a single sip to gain the full effects so you can order a bunch of drinks in rapid succession to load up on benefits.

Most drinks at bars are "normal" though and don't really do much, so you need to try everything to figure out what's good.

I feel you on the other points though. I only played Bridgeport for a few days before switching back to Sunset. Just made my own clubs and stuff, without all the elevators and subways getting in the way.
Inventor
#5 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by taizhu
Then I tried Twallan's relativity mod for the first time (it slows down time in the game). It made LN into tons of fun. I basically kept the game time relatively normal during the day but slow down to 20-40% of normal at night. So now, I have time to go to 1-2 clubs, order drinks, meet new sims, feed my vampires (lots of work sometimes) and generally enjoy the new features of the game. It made LN playable for me because I now have time to do things like raise skills but enjoy the new venues, etc.

So far it has caused no issues for me (that I can tell). But it made the game and Bridgeport a lot better because now 1-2 hours don't go by just waiting for the elevator. You may want to give it a try if you still want to enjoy the urban feel (something I really like, although I loved Twinbrook too).

Please, please, please, tell me where I can get this mod.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 3:37 AM
All of Twallan's stuff can be found here under the section for Nraas Industries (thesimmersclub.net). The mod is called The Relativity. Remember to look for and download the tuning file. I had to change the tuning file to get the times that I mentioned--one of the reasons I made it so much slower at night is because I play a vampire and he is mostly active at night anyway.
Inventor
#7 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 3:54 AM
Thank you. Do I need to be a registered member there to download from the site?
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:01 AM
Bridgeport is really different, for sure. I wouldn't expect everybody to like it. For me it's an interesting change of pace, but I won't be playing it forever, certainly

The taxis thing is realistic, for a city... at least, older cities that were built before the advent of the automobile Plenty of people who live in places like Chicago and New York, for instance, use taxis or the subway exclusively. But some of the high-rises DO have garages... and you can add garages to the others, if you want (and there's room).

As for the other issues that people are raising, do keep an eye out for mods that are currently coming out... various issues have already been addressed (for instance, HP has a mod that fixes Vice-Man's issue about becoming a celebrity being too easy), and more will doubtless be emerging.

My main complaints are two:

1) Vice-man's first one: not enough empty lots or space where lots can be placed. It seems that there is some kind of a bug, as well... because if you bulldoze an existing lot, the terrain becomes unroutable, and you can't put another lot there. I've been resorting to buying the few lots with empty houses, or even evicting families and then razing the lots and rebuilding.

2) The club lots provided in the bin are mostly way too large to place in other towns, because of limited space there. IMO they should really have given us a full set of small readymade suburb-friendly clubs, so any neighborhood could easily be provided with em. Of course, you can make your own, but if you're like me -- slow and perfectionist when it comes to building -- it takes a LONG time Here's hoping our talented lot uploaders go on a club-making spree.
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:26 AM
I personally like bridgeport to an extent. I find that the animations and other things lag more on it than with other towns, and the hot-spots, well there's really only one hot-spot that appears on mine, but like the door has like 50 mixologists there and then the elevators are not working. :/ Every time I go there my sim has to make his way through the mixologists but then to only see the elevators are stuck. I always see mixologists just piled in the "Shell" like in a corner from the auto-reset thing that happens. But the elevators just dont work at all and it drives me nuts!

Check out my site! Epic Creations
Forum Resident
#10 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:40 AM
It's gotten to the point where there are completely empty bars in my Bridgeport. So I went over to Sunset Valley, deleted and re-arranged some lots, and then I built two clubs, one exclusive, one not, and it works out nicely, because pretty much every night one or the other is a hotspot. Then I went to Twinbrook and built a nice little sports bar, and almost every night is a hotspot with at least six or seven sims. I haven't been back to Bridgeport since

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 5:25 AM
I thought at one time that Bridgeport would be played to no end, by me. I am tired of it, I think because I can't add lots the way I want to, or have to delete a high-rise to have a poor urban area. Even with deleting an apartment building, I am still dissatisfied.

I do appreciate having rabbitholes combined, but wish they let us choose which combinations would work in other worlds. Would like to add the combined rabbitholes to a world that I have played for 10 sim weeks, just a little afraid how it would affect jobs. I really need to free up space for clubs and apartment complexes.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 6:12 AM
"HP has a mod that fixes Vice-Man's issue about becoming a celebrity being too easy". She does> I don't see it in downloads or on her page. Still being approved?
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 6:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jerin8
"HP has a mod that fixes Vice-Man's issue about becoming a celebrity being too easy". She does> I don't see it in downloads or on her page. Still being approved?

Hmm... either I hallucinated it, or it was pulled because of some issue Sorry!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 9:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Hmm... either I hallucinated it, or it was pulled because of some issue Sorry!

It was there. I have it. I'm worried that it's gone now without an explanation. Is it going to screw up my game somehow if I use it? I mean, mods are rarely pulled unless there's something really wrong with it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 10:13 AM
I got sick of Bridgeport because there wasn't enough empty places for a family. Obviously Bridgeport is more for the singles and the couples Sims. Unless of course, you're really rich and Sims have moved from the little island of houses. Either way, I ended up going to Sunset Valley, but instead of building new clubs, bars, etc, (I'm insanely bad at building, they all look the same) I just used the ones given and plonked them down away from the town, so that it doesn't look too clashy. I've only got a few on there, and two apartment buildings, because they take up so much room, and don't look quite so hot. I never did like skyscrapers. Lol.

I also don't use mods. I had one for the skins, but I don't need it now.. I have enough custom content to choke up my game, as is. Haha, so I don't think I'll be trying a mod to make celeb status harder to get. I don't really care if I have it or not. =]

Sorry, I was kind of rambling.
Scholar
#16 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 8:20 PM
I like how Bridgeport looks and its great to have a city for a change. I would have liked it better if it was a destination where we could have sims live in or visit ( like the WA cities). I hate that those ambition buildings get plopped down everywhere.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#17 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 8:28 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 6th Nov 2010 at 11:40 PM.
ShortyBoo - It wasn't terribly broken, just a little broken (the initial level was still too easy to get, which means you could still end up with a lot of celebs), and I wanted to be able to tweak it without a whole bunch of whargarbl in the thread about it. It'll be back up soon.

Edit: Fixed and re-visible.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 9:35 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one finding Bridgeport a bit overwhelming. I currently only have one family there, but they will soon move back to my custom hood because I don't like Bridgeport that much.

I agree on Srikandi's second complaint, but on the other hand, now that I have been playing Bridge port with my moviestar lady, I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't want Bridgeport clubs in my custom hood anyway. First they are too big, secondly when my sim is doing something boring like sleeping, I like going to community lots and see what other people are doing but with shell buildings I can't see inside them unless my sim is inside as well. Thirdly, they have elevators, and Sims are incredible slow when using an elevator. So I'd rather build smaller clubs with stairs and make clubbing a bit more efficient.

Glad to hear there is a mod about celebrity status coming up because I also agree on the complaint that becoming a celebrity is way too easy. The family in Bridgeport has a daughter who is working in the film career and is currently a level 3 star, and I have no complaints about her. But then her family members are also now 1 star celebrities because they keep interacting with her and getting celeb points, and that makes no sense.
Scholar
#19 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 11:05 PM
Agreed. It is very easy and even once they are a 5 star celeb they get ridiculous opportunities like to go be a bouncer at the cinema or hawk a bad restaurant. Makes no sense is right.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#20 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I'm glad I'm not the only one finding Bridgeport a bit overwhelming.
Is "overwhelming" really the right word? I'm rather underwhelmed. I think other than the previous 'hoods, Bridgeport plays very poorly. It just seems so deserted. And like stated before, there's even less space to sqeeze in additional sims and lots than before.

Quote:
So I'd rather build smaller clubs with stairs and make clubbing a bit more efficient.
Full Ack. The small clubs work best. I think the small pseudo club in Twinbrook might amount to something when rebuilt to a LN club. Too bad lots are single-purpose, or the empty space on top of the laundry, consignement store etc. could be converted to decent clubs, too.

Quote:
The family in Bridgeport has a daughter who is working in the film career and is currently a level 3 star, and I have no complaints about her. But then her family members are also now 1 star celebrities because they keep interacting with her and getting celeb points, and that makes no sense.
Well, it would make sense if it would stop there. Relatives of celebrities often are a subject of public interest, too. As it is, you can't really stop the celebrity level from increasing, and that is what makes no sense to me. I don't like features you can't ignore if you don't like them or are bored by them for the time being. I haven't investigated that yet, but I hope I'll be able to choke the whole celebrity thing altogether when I go back to my main 'hood in Twinbrook.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Field Researcher
#21 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
2) The club lots provided in the bin are mostly way too large to place in other towns, because of limited space there. IMO they should really have given us a full set of small readymade suburb-friendly clubs, so any neighborhood could easily be provided with em. Of course, you can make your own, but if you're like me -- slow and perfectionist when it comes to building -- it takes a LONG time Here's hoping our talented lot uploaders go on a club-making spree.

If you're as lazy as me then... There's a saloon in Riverview, that is 25x20 and only needs a few tweaks (mixology-enabled bar and dance floor) to work as a passable LN bar.

As for the Bridgeport... Well, I have tons of technical issues with it, but it really is a very good town for showcasing the new EP. Key to having fun in Bridgeport is to not even think about jobs or skilling. It's a place for famous-for-being-famous socialites. My first Bridgeport sim was summarily banned from such déclassé activities as going to work, collecting metal ores, writing anything but 1-§ novels, painting, fishing and gardening, she also had to never turn down a party invite for any reason whatsoever, and any party or stardom-related wishes trumped "normal" ones like "gain skill" or "buy stuff", just to make it more challenging. She still made 10+ k/week once she got to 4-star fame from opportunities and lawsuits.)
Field Researcher
#22 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
I haven't investigated that yet, but I hope I'll be able to choke the whole celebrity thing altogether when I go back to my main 'hood in Twinbrook.

As far as I can tell (and that's not very far), townie celebrity gain/loss is handled by SP, just like vampirism, so any alternate SP driver should do just that. (since they lack the code to deal with celebs at the moment)

In the future... Yes, celebs are the REAL vampires of this EP. current rules, if applied to townies, would make it inevitable that everyone will be a celebrity someday, and I just don't see any good ways to handle that.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 3:03 AM Last edited by murfee : 7th Nov 2010 at 3:49 AM.
Wow. Seems like LN isn't as pizzaz as I thought it would be I LOVE what the patch did for the base game, though! 5 STARS!!!

So on a scale of 1 (crap) to 10 (da bomb diggity) , you guys, where is LN and where is Ambitions? Cuz I want to buy one or the other and need your opinions. (I need WA too, for the trees (those autumn colored ones are FAB) but I can wait!)
Field Researcher
#24 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
So on a scale of 1 (crap) to 10 (da bomb diggity) , you guys, where is LN and where is Ambitions? Cuz I want to buy one or the other and need your opinions. (I need WA too, for the trees (those autumn colored ones are FAB) but I can wait!)

Depends on what type of games you prefer to play. I was in the same situation as you and ended up picking LN and I don't regret it, bugs and all. But if you're more interested in "Neat Natural Cook seeks Ambitious Workaholic to found a 5-generation legacy" type of games, AMB can be more suited to you, it also been out longer and thus is more stable.
Test Subject
#25 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 10:09 AM
haha my favorite bars are waylon's haunt and the grind. simply because it's small and doesnt have elevators. in average i got 10-12 sims in those bars. i'd get more than that if it was a hotspot but 1 to none if it's a deadspot. lol
am waiting for any fabulous designer to built small bars and clubs. all i've seen so far have many floors and are divided into vip and non-vip section, which makes those stupid non-celebrity sims to be turned down by the bouncer, and then they go home.. haha. though i can delete the velvet rope, i'd still prefer for the small bars to have more crowded feeling.
Page 1 of 2