Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 10:53 AM
Default Bunk beds VERY easy to make after Late Night
Simply clone the bed of your choice, and edit the OBJD to change the WallPlacementFlags "OnWall" to True and "CanBeMovedUpDownOnWall" to True. All other WallPlacementFlags to False. Then change ObjectType flag "AllowWallObjectOnGround" to True. That means you don't have to have the bed against the wall.

Then mesh and texture the usual way - remembering to make longer posts/legs to make the beds join together. You'll probably want to make the bottom and top bunk different to each other.

When placing, you use the normal Wall Deco method to raise the top bunk to the required height. Sims won't get on the top bunk if it is too close to the ceiling, nor the lower bunk if the top bunk is too low. You may need moveobjects to place one under the other, if their original bounding box was too large to fit in two in the height of a room.

Sims first climb to appropriate height, even using little walking movement (so you could make a little ladder for them) and then animate to the bed as usual.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 11:26 PM
I checked this out and this is awesome!

Screens for the curious:

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 9:19 AM
Oh, that's excellent! Thanks for the info, Inge- and the pictures, Nandonalt. I'm going to try this!
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 7:11 AM
heh, yup, this looks great, even with existing meshes
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 1:59 AM
Edit the OBJD?
can you explain step by step plzz? T.T
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 8:26 AM
If you are not sure what is meant by the instructions, your best course of action is to read through some background information and tutorials about modding, and then come back to this thread. You will find it makes sense to you then.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Simply clone the bed of your choice, and edit the OBJD to change the WallPlacementFlags "OnWall" to True and "CanBeMovedUpDownOnWall" to True. All other WallPlacementFlags to False. Then change ObjectType flag "AllowWallObjectOnGround" to True. That means you don't have to have the bed against the wall.

Then mesh and texture the usual way - remembering to make longer posts/legs to make the beds join together. You'll probably want to make the bottom and top bunk different to each other.

When placing, you use the normal Wall Deco method to raise the top bunk to the required height. Sims won't get on the top bunk if it is too close to the ceiling, nor the lower bunk if the top bunk is too low. You may need moveobjects to place one under the other, if their original bounding box was too large to fit in two in the height of a room.

Sims first climb to appropriate height, even using little walking movement (so you could make a little ladder for them) and then animate to the bed as usual.

I just came back to TS3 so I was out of the loop for a while. Late Night EP allows us to control the height of the objects hanging on wall (like pictures or wall light) without the use of any cheat or mod?

I just grabbed a mod on MTS that allows me to move objects along the height of the wall that essentially can place 2-3 paintings on the same wall. If this feature is available as game features, I can safely get rid of the mod. I am currently on a mod diet.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 7:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
I just came back to TS3 so I was out of the loop for a while. Late Night EP allows us to control the height of the objects hanging on wall (like pictures or wall light) without the use of any cheat or mod?

No.

The ability to scroll objects up and down walls, which may have been introduced in LN, does not require LN. With that patch level, even someone with just the base game can move objects up and down on walls.

Like actual basements, it's one of those features that was added to the base game with higher patch levels.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 8:49 AM Last edited by tomomi1922 : 14th Apr 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Would this be doable without cloning the bed? I am able to raise the bed higher with MasterController, but somehow my sims are not able to get into the top bed (no path complaint bubble)

Update: I think I found the mod by Igne as well here http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=335.0 so it saves me the hassle to mod.

Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 10:16 AM
I found even with my specially cloned bunk beds, if I had the top bunk too low they couldn't get into the lower one and if I made the top bunk too high, they couldn't get into the top one. Basically it seems the sim is aware of vertical space, so try just changing the height of the top bunk and see if that makes a difference.

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I found even with my specially cloned bunk beds, if I had the top bunk too low they couldn't get into the lower one and if I made the top bunk too high, they couldn't get into the top one. Basically it seems the sim is aware of vertical space, so try just changing the height of the top bunk and see if that makes a difference.

Yep it is working perfectly. Maybe I was lucky to find this "sweet spot" for height the first try, and any cloned top bunk comes at the same height, so I can just move them right on the next bed. The only thing left for me to do is to find a new mesh for these beds and maybe add a stair on the top bunk. But since I haven't even installed either Milkshape or Blender yet, I am going to push the idea for later. Everything I left with TS3 last year I don't want to touch anymore.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th May 2011 at 2:31 AM
Oh, that's a cool idea! I'd do it, but it's late and I don't feel like ripping open some files at 1 A.M.
I've heard that Generations has Bunk Beds, so it'll run smooth. But it's a cool idea until I get Gen.