Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 28 (Who?), Viewed: 18814 times.
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 2:39 AM
Default Dirty Surroundings
I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but using the help section just takes me to the wiki which had nothing on this particular oddity...

In my sim's kitchen I get the dirty surroundings moodlet even though nothing that I can find is dirty. Everything is clean, no plates or garbage, trash bin is empty, no puddles or burn marks, nada.

I've had this happen once before when a plate of food vanished from my sim's hands and continued to decay even though it was invisible on the floor, though I didn't notice any houdini-food this time.

Is there a way to clean up the entire lot with a debug command or something so I can be rid of my invisible menace?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 2:43 AM
It may be a decoration that is the problem. I have a plant in my kitchen, that turned out to be the problem. take everything out of your kitchen, and place each one in a room by itself, that show let you find it
Theorist
#3 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 3:10 AM
A pizza in my game became invisible once and was stinking up the place. I guess fortunately, one of my sims was Sherman Bagley who is neat and has the Clean House option when you click on the floor. I finally tried that and he put the invisible pizza in the trash.

Much as I like reasonable persons, I hate completely rational beings. Lin Yutang
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 3:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgeo
It may be a decoration that is the problem. I have a plant in my kitchen, that turned out to be the problem. take everything out of your kitchen, and place each one in a room by itself, that show let you find it


In my case apparently it was the trash can.

Not the trash in the can, just the can itself. My sim really did not want it in the house at all.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 10:45 PM
mine was the frig... the left overs spoiled and i didnt know it could do that lol no smelly marks or anything couldnt even tell till i clicked on the frig to make food it said so.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 12:49 AM
I thought I had this fixed, but it has reappeared. I took every single piece of furniture out of my house (including the lights), so now I'm standing in a empty house with the dirty surroundings moodlet. I can't figure it out.
Inventor
#7 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 1:52 AM
Either NRAAS Master Controller or Overwatch gives you the option to clean up your surroundings. Awesomemod also has what is called the Hand of God which will automatically disappear dirty dishes to the sink, laundry to the hamper and rotted food to the trash as well as old newspapers and any other mess.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 2:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arelenriel
Either NRAAS Master Controller or Overwatch gives you the option to clean up your surroundings. Awesomemod also has what is called the Hand of God which will automatically disappear dirty dishes to the sink, laundry to the hamper and rotted food to the trash as well as old newspapers and any other mess.


Tried both, still dirty.

I tore down the entire house and sold everything that was once inside. Once rebuilt I don't seem to have the moodlet anymore.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 10:03 PM
Fingers crossed it sticks eh!!! Otherwise you might have to move in and out to fix it !
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velve
Tried both, still dirty.

I tore down the entire house and sold everything that was once inside. Once rebuilt I don't seem to have the moodlet anymore.


Next time just create a neat Sim and move them in?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by We are all trash
Next time just create a neat Sim and move them in?


My sim is neat and had no "clean house" interaction when clicking the floor, which I assume means nothing they can find needs cleaning.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 6:46 AM
I've had this same issue sometimes after a fire. To my knowledge I had cleaned everything but I was still getting the moodlet, and then I found some ceiling lamps that had burned but I had missed them because they fade away when zooming in.
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 9:03 AM
yeah...the meteor will do that too...so will detonating things inside your own house (buybebug trash piles in the basement for my vamp inventor)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 7:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokepanther
yeah...the meteor will do that too...so will detonating things inside your own house (buybebug trash piles in the basement for my vamp inventor)


This may very well explain my situation...

A meteor hit the side of my lot like a generation ago and toasted half the neighbors.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 6:24 AM
After reading this thread, i went to play my sims and noticed that my butler is often picking up dirty dishes from under that table, when there had been no dirty dishes before, and taking them for washing. i thought it was kinda funny cos none of the family seemed to be concerned about the invisible plates but she keeps getting them from there and cleaning them. Perhaps the invisible dog is hiding the invisible plates?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 2:12 PM
I had a seemingly stuck 'dirty surroundings' moodlet but couldn't find anything which could be causing it. She had it constantly, even when she was out, and there was nothing in her inventory. I think Ctrl+click on the moodlet will get rid of it.

My Sims 3 stories blog - *NEW* Heather Legacy
My Sims 3 CC blog || My MTS page
Eminence Grise
staff: moderator
#17 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 2:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_flel
I had a seemingly stuck 'dirty surroundings' moodlet but couldn't find anything which could be causing it. She had it constantly, even when she was out, and there was nothing in her inventory. I think Ctrl+click on the moodlet will get rid of it.


I've had this problem too, and Ctrl-Click did get rid of it, but only temporarily :/ Came back. Issue with the lot, I think.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 3:12 AM
I had mysterious "dirty surroundings" a few times before. All of mine were from food that had gotten "stuck" in the replicator/oven/refrigerator and had spoiled. Sims couldn't clean it up for some reason. If that's the problem, if you check in the oven and the replicator you should be able to see the food inside, but for the refrigerator you might not notice anything amiss at first glance. When it was my fridge, I only noticed when I moved it. There was a cloud of green smoke hanging in the air where the fridge had been. Deleting those objects and replacing them with new ones seems to do the trick every time.
Inventor
#19 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 9:23 PM
I hired a maid for one day and she fixed whatever it was. The whole family got the dirty surroundings though. It was something under the stairs. Sometimes I will redirect a Sim with something in its hands and it will crunch it up and toss it somewhere, usually the stairs, and then its impossible to get to without a maid. Its cheeper than tearing down the whole house, or replacing the stairs.
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 3:13 PM Last edited by MasterDarkNinja : 24th Dec 2010 at 3:43 PM.
I have this bug in my house, I've tried everything to fix it, selling everything in the room, selling the wallpaper/floor/doors, nothing helped.

The only thing that sort of worked was selling the walls to the room, it got rid of the 'filthy room' moodlet, but I still got the disgusted moodlet when standing in certain places.

I eventually after several reloads found an old juice container under my table, I thought that would solve the problem, but nope, still have the dirty surrounding and disgusting moodlets.

I even tried using the midlife crisis reward to get a neat sim to clean the whole house (right after the maid had just cleaned it), and she still didn't find anything.

I did have a party recently where we ordered some pizza, and I recall I told a sim to stop eating his slice of pizza when he got full, so maybe that slice is causing the problem? The problem is I don't see it anywhere, neither do my maids or neat sims.

Edit: YES! I've finally cleaned up the invisible mess, here's how I did it.

-Remove all objects in the effected room.

-Start dividing the effected room up into smaller rooms, with doors in and out of each. Find where the bad odor is coming from.

-Keep on dividing up the room until you get down to a 1x1 room where the smell is coming from.

-Sell all the extra walls you made except those around the 1x1 room that smells bad.

-Grab a pile of trash (start to throw away trash in the trash compactor then cancel the interaction) and throw it on top of the dirty 1x1 space. (you'll need to either sell the door or make it a 3x1 or 2x2 room, otherwise it won't let you place the trash there)

-Tell a sim to clean up the trash you just placed on the effected area.

-On the way to the garbage the sim should stop somewhere else and grab the invisible dirty item (oddly my invisible dirty item seemed to be on the wall in the next room).
Field Researcher
#21 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 6:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDarkNinja
I have this bug in my house, I've tried everything to fix it, selling everything in the room, selling the wallpaper/floor/doors, nothing helped.

The only thing that sort of worked was selling the walls to the room, it got rid of the 'filthy room' moodlet, but I still got the disgusted moodlet when standing in certain places.

I eventually after several reloads found an old juice container under my table, I thought that would solve the problem, but nope, still have the dirty surrounding and disgusting moodlets.

I even tried using the midlife crisis reward to get a neat sim to clean the whole house (right after the maid had just cleaned it), and she still didn't find anything.

I did have a party recently where we ordered some pizza, and I recall I told a sim to stop eating his slice of pizza when he got full, so maybe that slice is causing the problem? The problem is I don't see it anywhere, neither do my maids or neat sims.

Edit: YES! I've finally cleaned up the invisible mess, here's how I did it.

-Remove all objects in the effected room.

-Start dividing the effected room up into smaller rooms, with doors in and out of each. Find where the bad odor is coming from.

-Keep on dividing up the room until you get down to a 1x1 room where the smell is coming from.

-Sell all the extra walls you made except those around the 1x1 room that smells bad.

-Grab a pile of trash (start to throw away trash in the trash compactor then cancel the interaction) and throw it on top of the dirty 1x1 space. (you'll need to either sell the door or make it a 3x1 or 2x2 room, otherwise it won't let you place the trash there)

-Tell a sim to clean up the trash you just placed on the effected area.

-On the way to the garbage the sim should stop somewhere else and grab the invisible dirty item (oddly my invisible dirty item seemed to be on the wall in the next room).



I am really glad you figured this out -- but truly, you mean "affected" not "effected."

Affect: The word affect is primarily used as a verb in English. It has two main meanings, which are closely related. Affect may mean to alter the feelings of, or to change the mental state of someone or something. It may also mean, in a broader sense, to change or affect someone or something in any way. So it is that we might say: How will the election affect the course of history? We might also say: The painting affected him so deeply he could not speak.


Effect: The word effect, in contrast, is used primarily as a noun in English. It has a number of related meanings, but generally speaking refers to the result of something, the power something might have to get that result, or a phenomenon in the world. An example of the word used to refer to the result of something would be: The election had no effect on the course of history. We might also say: The effect of the painting on him was profound. Phenomena are often also referred to as effects, such as the photoelectric effect or the greenhouse effect.
Scholar
#22 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 7:01 PM
Is this the result of an update because more people seem to be having issues with moodlets being stuck or appeari ng without known cause? I've noticed ALL of my sims (not just the neat ones) get more dirty surrounding moodlets and often with little provocatioon --ie a non-neat sim had it on the first floor of a a 4 story home because a sink in one of the bathrooms on the 4th floor needed to be cleaned. I wasn't even aware of it because the sink was not dirty enough to show as dirty. Also, my sims now all get the disgusting moodlet in their sleep because when they spin into their pajamas there are clothes left on the floor. Since they all were getting it I just decided to stop giving my sims washers and dryers so the clothes pile wouldn't form. My sims are usually very neat and I don't mind when they get the moodlet because something really is dirty--ie bathroom flooded by broken shower, bad food fumes coming from the fridge, etc., but lately they are so overly sensitive to every little thing that it is a nuisance. As this has been a recent development in my game I have to wonder if the patch didn't create this hyper reaction behavior?

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Alchemist
#23 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 7:37 PM
Oh, EA, EA. Will you ever make a stable game?.

I also had the "Dirty Surroundings" thingy a day ago, with my favourite sims. Guess what? I moved one of them out and poof! the moodlet disappeared. Guess they really didn't liked her.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Test Subject
#24 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 5:54 PM
hi all, i face the same problem. but i nailed down that is my trash compactor causing the issue. whenever i put the compactor in the room, sims smell the stink at once. i see it still have some trash stuck in it. even when sims just take out trash. i cannot sell or delete the damn thing because it keep saying > cannot sell/ delete item containing object.

could you advise me a way to get rid of the trash/ or the whole trash compactor. i tried moveobjects On and delete, use slammer, but it not works.

now the object behave quite wierd. e.g a sim try to ugrade from unbreakable to improve crushing. after complete the upgrade, the trash is still unbreakabke in spite the sims try how many times. or when you put into a cabinet, sometimes it hides behind the cabinet doors.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 6:18 PM
I remember the last time I had that problem...

My sim caused a fire....apparently a window burns but doesn't look burned...?
Page 1 of 2
Back to top

Section jump