Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 1:02 AM Last edited by scryer : 28th May 2011 at 3:30 AM.
Default Scryer's CAW Issues *New Problem*
Hey guys,

I've been a long-time Sims player but I haven't posted on these forums unless there were serious issues.

So here's the issue:

- I have been building a custom CAW for this month. I've uploaded a beta version before.

- I have severaly edited this custom CAW. I've changed the title (to reflect the version) and description along with a ton of other things. I have a .png picture and I have done everything under the "Edit Description

- I have deleted my beta CAW from my sim page and from my Sims launcher. But when I go to upload my CAW from my launcher, it tells me that the upload failed because there's the same CAW on the exchange.

So is there any way for me to upload my CAW to the exchange?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 2:00 AM
The name of the world isn't what identifies it, instead the identity is stored in a resource named WPID. What you need to do is to open your CAW world file (from Documents/ Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3 Create A World/ Usertooldata/ Worlds) in S3PE and then delete the WPID resource. Save the file and close S3Pe.

Then, open CAW and open your world. Check that the world has a title, description and thumbnail picture. Then save it as a different file name. Now you should be able to export that world and upload it to the Exchange successfully.

Unfortunately when you delete a file from the exchange, it still remains on the EA servers- deleting just removes the download link. So you have to change the file identity, so that the duplication checks don't recognise this world as the same one you previously uploaded.

As always, backup your files before editing anything!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 2:35 AM Last edited by scryer : 27th Dec 2010 at 2:56 AM. Reason: Did not want to double post
simsample, thanks a lot for the help. It has worked for me when uploading to the exchange. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

For those of you that are a little computer-challenged, there is a filters box at the bottom of the S3PE program. You have to check that box off in order to see WPID file(s).

simsample, was this on an FAQ page? Because if it isn't, I highly suggest that someone puts your answer there. If it is there already, then I will feel ridiculously stupid.

I am now getting a new problem:

After I save my world (after I've played for a while), I can't load it. When I try to click on my saved world (from the main menu in the game) it says that it "Cannot load this saved game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer in the system".

This is weird because I have received all of the updates on my game. I made sure to keep up with it and the Download Manager's updates as well.

Should I save my world to my desktop, uninstall/reinstall CAW?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 6:28 AM
Okay so I have done the following:

- I have triple checked that I had all of the updates for each game installed (I have them all).

- I uninstalled/reinstalled CAW and edited and saved my world in the newly installed CAW.

- I can upload my world correctly to the exchange but after I load my game and make a save file, it still gives me the "Cannot load this saved game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer in the system" message.

Is there anyone that can help me with this new problem? Your help will be GREATLY appreciated.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scryer
simsample, was this on an FAQ page? Because if it isn't, I highly suggest that someone puts your answer there. If it is there already, then I will feel ridiculously stupid.

Probably not, we don't have many CAW articles on the wiki yet. But thanks for volunteering! For anyone else reading this, if you know something that we don't have an article/ FAQ on, just log yourself in to the wiki and stick it on there, then let a moderator know. If it's useful information we can then add it into the links on our relevant forums, and we can direct people to your articles.

I am now getting a new problem:

After I save my world (after I've played for a while), I can't load it. When I try to click on my saved world (from the main menu in the game) it says that it "Cannot load this saved game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer in the system".

This is weird because I have received all of the updates on my game. I made sure to keep up with it and the Download Manager's updates as well.

Should I save my world to my desktop, uninstall/reinstall CAW?

It could be that there's a problem with your DCCache files. What I would recommend to try is to drag your existing Documents/ Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3 folder to your desktop. Then export your world from CAW again, and install with the launcher. Does it work now?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 5:23 PM
Quote:
It could be that there's a problem with your DCCache files. What I would recommend to try is to drag your existing Documents/ Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3 folder to your desktop.

Okay, so let me get this clear before I do anything drastic...

You want me to drag my current documents/electronic arts/The Sims 3 folder to my desktop; uninstall my game (like the enire game or just the latest EP?); reinstall it and save the documents folder over the new one?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but I just want to double check that I have everything right. Because I do agree that it has to be a problem with the DCCache folder.... Could I remove everything from the DCCache folder to my desktop, install the CAW, and place it back?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 7:42 PM
You want me to drag my current documents/electronic arts/The Sims 3 folder to my desktop; uninstall my game (like the enire game or just the latest EP?); reinstall it and save the documents folder over the new one?

No, don't uninstall your game!

Just drag your userdata (Documents/ Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3) to the desktop, and reinstall the world.

The reason I wanted you to remove the entire Sims3 folder is because that will remove the Installed worlds folder and also the cache files, too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 8:16 PM
It's a good thing I double checked before I did anything lol.

So I did your directions... I moved "The Sims 3" file from Documents/ Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3 to my desktop and reinstalled my world. Unfortunately I am still having the same situation. It's still telling me that it "Cannot load this saved game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer in the system".

I'm more than willing to reinstall my game and stuff because I'll just save my downloads folder to my desktop. So if that's what it comes to, I'd be willing to do it. And by the way, thanks a lot for working on this with me.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 7:08 AM
I've had this happen on several different occasions, usually can fix it by changing the title, and description, and re-exporting. I've never been able to figure out what causes this, and for some time, thought it was just a bad export, but recently, I helped another simmer with the same problem. She had an Island she wanted named St. Lucia. We changed the name several times, but always with the punctuation mark in the name. Finally we spelled the whole thing out, and low and behold, it worked.

Am I off base here thinking it could be the punctuation mark that caused this Issue? I remember I had the same problem with "Castle Keep, a Medieval Fiefdom". I took out the ", a Medieval Fiefdom", and it worked fine.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by auntielynds
I've had this happen on several different occasions, usually can fix it by changing the title, and description, and re-exporting. I've never been able to figure out what causes this, and for some time, thought it was just a bad export, but recently, I helped another simmer with the same problem. She had an Island she wanted named St. Lucia. We changed the name several times, but always with the punctuation mark in the name. Finally we spelled the whole thing out, and low and behold, it worked.

Am I off base here thinking it could be the punctuation mark that caused this Issue? I remember I had the same problem with "Castle Keep, a Medieval Fiefdom". I took out the ", a Medieval Fiefdom", and it worked fine.

Wow, a punctuation mark can cause a 'Cannot Load savegame' error? You'd think they would have been clever enough to not allow punctuation to be used in the name field! Thanks for the info Lynds, I hope it helps scryer!
Forum Resident
#11 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 10:18 PM
Just a theory. It's a Mystery.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 10:51 PM
auntielynds and simsample, thank you guys so much for your help!!

So it's working now that I've changed the title... Before I was including the version number which had a period in it (ex, 2.01).

I am definitely going to update the wiki with my issues because no one should have had to go through several days of technical difficulties just to play their own world. I'll drop both of your names since you guys did provide these solutions.

Thank you guys so much; I am ecstatic that everything is working perfectly again. Let's see if I can get to bed at a decent time tonight lol.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 10:51 AM
Well thank you for the information guys, that's one to remember! :D

Well done for fixing it Scryer, and for figuring it out, auntielynds!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 3:39 PM
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st May 2011 at 11:36 PM
Default Punctuation may cause "not able to load"
Please forgive me for Necro'ing this thread but I had this problem as well.

I had put a "Mk. V" after my world's name because it was the fifth 'version' if it that I had made. I had not put "Mk." after the name before, I was just putting a number right after the name with no spaces. I played the world but then got the dreaded "cannot load save game" when coming back to play some more on the saved game.

It appears that including punctuation (or at least periods) in the CAW name description field may cause this bug.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 25th May 2011 at 12:13 AM
After I thought I had figured it out, and patted myself on the head, LOL, I read in a thread here at MTS from way back, last Spring, that said the same thing. I think they said something like" DOS 101, you can't put a period in a file name".

Hmm, and I thought I was so clever.
Test Subject
#17 Old 26th May 2011 at 4:35 PM
I wish I had seen this earlier!!!

I`ve had the same problem on a huge tomb I`ve build and I couldn`t open it again because of this issue. Instead of keeping my saved game, I trashed it because i was peeved.

Well, I`ve learned to seach for help at MTS before I delete anything
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 26th May 2011 at 4:42 PM
I have periods in several of my worlds V 2, V 2.1, V 2.2 etc. Guess I need to change the names. lol

Follow the creation of new worlds, lots and objects at my new blog, UrbanSims!
~Brady
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th May 2011 at 3:30 AM Last edited by scryer : 28th May 2011 at 4:02 AM.
Thanks for necro-ing this post! I actually have another issue and seeing as how this is still my thread (recently resurrected) I shall direct it!

So when I go into the Edit in Game mode and create a lot (whether it's a community or home lot), when I try to save that lot, the Edit in Game mode crashes and I lose the lots I create. Is there any way to get past this issue? I haven't had this problem since I downloaded the latest CAW update (I haven't played since December).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 30th May 2011 at 1:29 PM
scryer, if you are building the lot from scratch in EIG then I would recommend to build it in-game instead, then lotbin it and then import the finished lot to EIG from the library.

The reason for this is that I noticed that building uses a lot of RAM in the game, and EIG is even worse that the full game at managing RAM. Therefore, if you build a lot in EIG and then try to save, it is likely that the save will fail because EIG/ CAW cannot find enough free memory to write the save file. This doesn't seem to matter how good/ bad your computer is, it just seems to be a limitation/ problem with how CAW/ EIG (beta, remember!) handles your computer resources.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
scryer, if you are building the lot from scratch in EIG then I would recommend to build it in-game instead, then lotbin it and then import the finished lot to EIG from the library.

The reason for this is that I noticed that building uses a lot of RAM in the game, and EIG is even worse that the full game at managing RAM. Therefore, if you build a lot in EIG and then try to save, it is likely that the save will fail because EIG/ CAW cannot find enough free memory to write the save file. This doesn't seem to matter how good/ bad your computer is, it just seems to be a limitation/ problem with how CAW/ EIG (beta, remember!) handles your computer resources.

Okay I have tried this and it has worked only half of the time. Sometimes it will save, sometimes it won't. I have been smart and I have been saving my lots to the lots/houses bin but at this point it is getting frustrating.

The thing that's disturbing me the most is that I do have a very good computer with quite a bit of ram in in so I really don't get why it keeps crashing on me even though I cancel out my applications and exit out CAW when I'm in EIG mode. Am I going to have to uninstall and reinstall?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:32 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Have you tried the suggestions here?
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

I have tried those suggestions this week and I am still getting the crashes and freezes. Once in a blue moon it will save but that is seldom. By the way, thanks again for helping me out.

When I click on the About>Version tabs in CAW, it say's that I am currently playing version 0.2.0.148 . Today I double-checked the CAW tool download it says that it will upgrade beta version from 1.11.009 to 1.11.10. I hate to sound like a noob but I did download the new version of CAW last week, so I'm assuming that it didn't upgrade? I'm really confused at this point.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 2:04 AM
Try redownloading CAW, then uninstall your old version (backup your userdata first- see here ) and install the new version.

The CAW patch that was released is now outdated- EA release a completely new version of CAW each time a patch is released, only they don't mention this anywhere on their site so people like us have to find out the hard way.
Test Subject
#25 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 1:05 PM
Ok im having the problem with the error in uploading a world to the exchange. saying that the file already exsists,
i know im a computer illiterate, noobie whatever, and this is the only post where there is info about the problem.
Please help me. i followed ur instructions but cannot find S3PE or a wpid file to be able to fix the problem

Please someone help anyone please
thx
Page 1 of 2