Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 3537 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 10:51 AM
Default Hair texture
Does any how to make a natural looking alpha channel for hair like NewSea's textures? I tried drawing them with had, but that doesn't seem to be working very well....

The image posted is NewSea's hair texture with alpha channel applied.
Screenshots

Check out my blog ! You'll find items that I was too lazy to upload on the MTS XD.

Warning! This is not an English blog! However, the 'Sims3Downloads' section is written in English :D.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 11:01 AM
Don't draw the alpha channel. Draw the hair on a new layer, and base your alpha channel on the hair.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 4:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HystericalParoxysm
Don't draw the alpha channel. Draw the hair on a new layer, and base your alpha channel on the hair.

What do you mean by 'base your alpha channel on the hair' ?

And thanks for answering

Check out my blog ! You'll find items that I was too lazy to upload on the MTS XD.

Warning! This is not an English blog! However, the 'Sims3Downloads' section is written in English :D.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 10:39 PM
I think what HP meant was to use the hair you are basing on to make the alpha.
For example, take the picture into photoshop, and draw around the edges, or play with the picture light levels so you build the alpha directly from there.

Particularly I prefer to make the alphas by drawing, my tablet is broken so it's hard to make it properly.
Many 3D artists draw alphas using strategical tweaked brushes so it helps a lot.
Instead of using a hair brush, there are many available at DevianArt if you want to take a look, I prefer to use just simple spots (1px) and apply settings to multiply them.
I think Photoshop comes with some presets you can use.

A quick example:

Always, ALWAYS, when making the alpha, create multiple layers so you can have more control.
And try always to leave only the tips with different lines, as the detail itself you will have to add on the texture.

If you are interested, there are tools that allow you to build amazing alphas, made specially for 3D artists, with a lot of maneuver of brushes.
I refer to Autodesk Maya, they have a big collection of brushes you can use.

I had a really good tutorial bookmarked somewhere around here, but this thing is a mess atm.
Hope it helped though.
Screenshots

“One small step for man, one blocked path for sim-kind.” - awtmk@blogspot | S-Club Privée
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 3:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJS
I think what HP meant was to use the hair you are basing on to make the alpha.
For example, take the picture into photoshop, and draw around the edges, or play with the picture light levels so you build the alpha directly from there.

Particularly I prefer to make the alphas by drawing, my tablet is broken so it's hard to make it properly.
Many 3D artists draw alphas using strategical tweaked brushes so it helps a lot.
Instead of using a hair brush, there are many available at DevianArt if you want to take a look, I prefer to use just simple spots (1px) and apply settings to multiply them.
I think Photoshop comes with some presets you can use.

If you are interested, there are tools that allow you to build amazing alphas, made specially for 3D artists, with a lot of maneuver of brushes.
I refer to Autodesk Maya, they have a big collection of brushes you can use.

I had a really good tutorial bookmarked somewhere around here, but this thing is a mess atm.
Hope it helped though.

well...Autodesk Maya...,,,I'd like to get my hands on that thing but unfortunately, it's extremely expensive X)...So could you tell me where to get those brushes?, and perheps basic tricks for drawing hair textures/alphas? (I use photoshop cs3)

Section jump