Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 2:25 AM
Default My Sim's animation has a bad case of the "Thumps"
I've been working with TS2 completely muted for a while now. You can imagine how I felt to discover that a great animation for an interaction I'm working on has an annoying sound effect attached to it. The sound effect is a thumping noise that a Sim apparently makes when its foot hits the floor.

I would like to remove or change this sound effect, but naturally I want to make certain I understand the process correctly:

1) Extract the animation (a-active-standing-workOut-jumpingJack-stop_anim) from TSData\Res\Sims3D\Sims00.package
2) Import into current project, rename it in the Filename box, change the group number, and "Fix Integrity".
3) Click the "Raw View" tab on the ANIM, change "sound_name=foot_jump
sound_source=center_of_object
bone_tag=" to "bone_tag=" OR replace the "foot_jump" with the name of a more appropriate sound
4) Commit, Save
5) Update Text List to point to renamed animation.
6) Celebrate.

Is this correct?

If nothing else, I want to get rid of the annoying thumps but it would be nice if I could also adjust the animation to lift the orientation of the Sim's head so that he/she is looking further up.

I see in the "head (rot, 24, 24, 24)" and "neck (rot, 24, 24, 24)" in the "Raw View." I've been reading and rereading WesHowe's post. But with my own head spinning, I think I might ought to save it for later. It's probably okay as is anyway.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 8:30 AM
Pretty much spot on, yup.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 7:37 AM
Thanks Echo.

I seem to be having some problem, though. I'm getting a "Too many iterations" error. It seems to be related to this animation because the error only appears when using this animation; the interaction runs as normal when I swap the custom animation for the original Maxis one. I understand this error appears when it's stuck in a loop, but I don't understand why it's throwing in this particular context. Is it stuck trying to find the animation?

I don't see a problem with the ANIM; all I did was replace "foot_jump" with "pool_splasher" from another animation. I'm posting the interaction and the error log. If it helps, the animation is called in the "Sub-Interaction - Paddle" bhav.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ObjectError_N003_t924.zip (16.8 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

Tumblr
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 12:33 PM
The error is certainly a confusing one, but I'd guess it's probably just because your anim file has the wrong TGI. (Technically, just the wrong group. Custom or modified animations need to be in the global group 0x1C0532FA.)

Because the line running the animation returns true even if it fails, your interaction will end up running "paddle" several thousand times over just a few seconds, causing a "too many iterations".

Run a "fix integrity" on your package, save and reload. See if that fixes it.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 8:10 AM
Changing the Group number and a "fix integrity" seem to have done the trick. Thank you so much!

Phew! That's one issue I can check off...now, onto the rest!

Tumblr