Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 7:56 PM
I'll be honest but; I'd me mad, I could not care less about farm stuff and don't want it force on me because I want domestic pets so bad.
I'm sure the next pets expansion would not include " farm animals " as the new way of selling the game but, now you can play the animals. That was so lame in sims 2.. Cannot control what my pet do ? Screw you. The new implementation would more likely to be this and a better range of customization in the pet creation.
I'm sorry to all of you but, do you really think after months and months ( and year ! ) of the release of riverview, they want to go back and do farm stuff ? Or are you simply wishing ?
'Cause I just think, from my experience with Sims, that is not likely to happen.

Take in consideration that I'm french and I try my best to write an understandable english :)

[ booboolalaland ] [ goodieslalaland ]
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 8:01 PM
To good to be true. Really, it's not true.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#28 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 8:07 PM
I don't think it's crazy that they'd do farm animals. Or that they would do it separate from Riverview. I don't think farm animals would have to be controllable, either - what the heck is a chicken gonna do, really? Bop around, peck things, sleep, lay eggs. I don't want to control that. But I would love my sims to be able to tend to chickens, pigs, cows, horses, etc.

I think they could do them in the same pack, too. Make dogs and cats and maybe birds and some other small animals as domestic pets, and farm animals too. Then we're all happy.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 8:06 PM
I'm skeptical. It's on Wikipedia, meaning it was added by someone like you or me, AKA someone who knows no more about what EP4 will be then we do. If they haven't made the official announcement yet then I doubt it's legit.

Plus considering this EP would seem to involve just about everything a majority are asking for, I think the phrase "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't comes into play".

They release a new EP just about every six months, so the May estimate wasn't a bad guess though.
How much time is usually inbetween announcements and release dates for EPs anyway?
Mad Poster
#30 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 9:14 PM
I would LOVE this EP. Farming, country living is kinda how I always end up playing anyway. I want weather, pets, farm animals! And ROLLERCOASTERS!
Mad Poster
#31 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 9:23 PM
It would be kind of screwed up if the Medieval Sim game wouldn't have any animals except for the pigeons, and then the main game would get all types of animals. I'm not complaining, but I would really love to know how they brainstormed the Medieval game.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 9:33 PM
I don't care what comes with the next ep, so long as werewolves are there!!! But rollercoasters would be pretty cool!

Actually, no. I do have one issue with the whole farm thing. It'd be fine if you could just leave it alone, but like how in LN you get your sims getting the wish to meet a vampire ('cause they exist.. yeah. ¬_¬) or move to a high-rise (WTF? Seriously... who wants to live in a high-rise?), you'd probably get a wish to become a farmer from everyone. It's not such a big deal, but I guess I'm just not into the whole farm thing. I probably would be if the whole and entire process of food production was playable (e.g. slaughter), but that's just wishful thinking.

Go suck an elf...
Retired
retired moderator
#33 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 10:32 PM
Quote:
I want weather, pets, farm animals! And ROLLERCOASTERS!

Lol. Yup. Back in my day we used to put the pigs on the rollercoaster down the back of our farm too, just to watch them get sick and dizzy.

Seriously though, an EP like this could be really, really awesome if it was conceived well. I love daydreaming about this kind of thing:

1) Start with seasons. Okay, so you've got four seasons, let's introduce one or two new crops per season for the Gardening skill, each being a food source for some kind of animal. Corn is general feed to stock up on over summer, yams can grow in winter, blackberries for autumn, and giftable daffodils for spring.

2) What animals would be easiest to render without causing a huge hit on performance? Horses are probably out, ducks are definitely in. Pigs and... ...llamas as well? Maybe Llama is an unlockable. Animals have three traits. Have two classes of animals: Domestic and Livestock. Wild animals appear wandering the landscape during three seasons. Skunks in autumn, Wolves in winter, Bunnies in spring, Wild Ducks in summer. Wolves are basically just a dog that looks like a wolf and carries a unique Feral trait. Wild animals are MUCH harder to befriend and breed, and they will attack Sims with low Husbandry skills (yes, Bunnies attack). Skunks are the only animal that cannot be either farmed or made into a pet.

3) To farm these animals Sims need to purchase a "Farm" community lot. There are two types: Crop Field and Farmyard. Crop Fields allow Sims to skill up in Handiness and Gardening by using advanced gardening objects to grow crops en masse. Farmyards allow Sims to raise most Livestock. Snow kills all crops except yams. Heat kills yams. Farm animals need a barn during the winter or they suffer Death from Exposure. Farmers need sufficient corn to last a whole winter because it will not grow during that period. Different animals provide different saleable/consumable items, like Eggs, Bristles, Manure (best fertiliser in the game), or Llama Wool.

4) Raising Livestock animals raises the Husbandry skill. Higher skill means better relationships with the animals and improved animal traits when breeding. Level 10 unlocks the Llama which can be ordered for your farm via the cellphone.

5) Pedigree skill functions in some ways similar to Husbandry, except that it allows the user to train Domestic animals in specific mini-skills and tricks. Domestic animals can be entered into Pedigree competitions at a new lot, the Community Meeting Hall.

6) The Community Meeting Hall lot hosts seasonal competitions, including a Bake Off in the Winter months.

7) Weather needs to affect Sims and crops, but the animals already constitute a very big system. Sims obviously can't say outside for hours on end on the coldest winter nights without Death from Exposure. Have a global temperature gauge on the UI, snow hits at a certain temperature. Heatstroke moodlet hits Sims if it gets too hot in the Summer. The new Occult - the Werewolf - can stay outside as long as it likes in any season due to its fur.

Add to all of that the essential snow angels, snow fights, snowmen, ice-skating rinks, etc, and it would be awesome.

Hey, I can dream right? I wonder what EA *will* come up with? The more I play LN, the less satisfied I am with it.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Instructor
#34 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 10:38 PM
I'm skeptical. I highly doubt EA would release EVERYTHING the fans have been clamoring for in one expansion pack.

Werewolves, pets, and weather! Oh my!

I'd be more likely to believe that weather would be included, but I think pets will get their own expansion. That and big-name game developers are usually really tight-lipped about these sort of things.

I say, it's too good to be true. (Also, what does increasing the size of households have anything to do with anything?)

"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit at a typewriter and open a vein."
-Walter "Red" Smith
Scholar
#35 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 10:39 PM
I'm not into farming but I would like horses in the game, especially if sims could ride them. I also like the idea of having a veterinarian, singers, and an auctioneer. And also PETS. I use Delphy's height slider so I think its completely feasible that EA could give us a height slider. Home schooling and Sims/animals getting sick could be interesting as well. So wouldn't be bummed if this info is real but I also wouldn't be surprised if it isn't

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:58 AM
I actually love your idea, Kiwi-tea!

I am not sure that Sim Medieval has anything to do with Sims 3. I mean, kids can grow up in Sims 3 but not in Sims Medieval. While the same engine was used, they obviously took a different track and created a rpg instead of a simulator and decided not to use animals other than pigeons, which they used for a form of telephone I think. One of the sim console games has horses yet we don't have them in the PC game. So not sure you can really extrapolate anything between games. They are all different. EA may have left animals out of Sims Medieval because they didn't want their game concept/features to be too huge. One loses money if they have a huge concept for one game..and more money if they spread concepts around.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 3:48 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 22nd Jan 2011 at 10:41 PM.
[Kiwi-Tea's epic post] I like how you framed a simulator within a simulator.
What if while pulling weeds, your Sim pulls out a Gnome That's be cute.

Anywho:
A "Pets" style expansion COULD NOT survive on its own in the Sims 3 generation, simply because there is so much you could do with them. You'd either have to to add a ton of unique pets, items and features, and what not or add something to it. This is why Farming has be thrown around so much. Kiwi's description above didn't seem forced at all (seeing as that was a complaint someone made) since you'd have to buy a lot to take part in that piece of the game.

Weather on the other hand could stand a chance, but it would have to do more than the Sims 2 did. IMO, Theme/Amusement Parks and Travel as a way to introduce Weather, but not have it be the main focus risking insults from fans about rehashes, yet having it tie in perfectly. They could have maybe 2 smaller (medium sized) Towns That have different weather conditions, and different types of activities depending on where you go. I don't go into GREAT detail, since some things are common sense, like crops growing fast in certain conditions, and such, but see Below:

There would be the Colder location (Winter and Fall) is somewhere in the mountains and is a Ski resort, marked with little lodges and sims who live in the forest. Fun consists of ski slopes (half pipes and ramps and what not), ice rinks (especially good on lakes), and things of that nature. Stay in a hotel/lodge, seeing as we have YET to get one, and depending on season, you have different types of lodging, like a tent (more of them :p) or an Igloo. Plus, where else would you put the dock-type foundation, or whip out the Winter Wear? Sims build snowsims, have snow balls fights at the wall (in the fall they can sit on it :P) and put snow down someone's shirt, giving them the Chilly moodlet. If it gets to cold, they can sit in front of the fire. When at home, they can rake (and jump in) a pile of leaves and make wishes in fountains (seeing as a well wouldn't fit the theme of the EP)

The other would be a Warmer kind of area (Spring and Summer) Where you stay in either a beach shack or hotel. White sand, boardwalks and big beaches. Tanning (both in the sun, booth, and spray on), swimming, and shark attacks When it's summer, Sims switch to swimsuits and walk around town in them, but when it's spring, they wear everyday wear. They can play boardwalk games (maybe about 3 or 4 different kinds), or get a bite to eat at a nearby kiosk (they all serve the same foods, but different kinds). When they aren't at the beach, they are at an amusement/ water parks parks. If there was amusement parks tied it, the way I see it, it would have to be a major part (to get the most out of it, to not get over shadowed by weather and travel) or play a minor role, like carnivals and things like that. If it was minor, tag it on with magic :p. ANYWHO: Amusement Parks would be 2 types Water and Theme.

Theme Parks (or a carnival) would be relatively "easy" to create, seeing as the base game itself has different types of furniture in it already. You could pretty much throw anything together. Add a few items to support different themes. The major function would be the Roller Coaster "tool" that has different drops, heights, curves and loops (which can be shifted with sliders (for length and height/width) and what not. Nothing to fancy though. The Sims get on and go around. Depending on traits, you with have fun or get sick after riding for a while, or get sick after you ride. Maybe add a carousel and ferris wheel. NPC Sims walking around as mascots and such (to talk to) would be a stretch.

Water parks (switching Sims to swimwear automatically) would consist of a water park themed set (curved items and such, on top of items to match from the base game, and the locations) and would reintroduce the pool slide and diving board (tall and short), and the waterslide (which is an extension the pool tool, derived from the roller coaster tool.) Would pull it all together. New fountains spouts that do different things like swirls, and rotations. Outside of the slide and the fountain.

The Furniture (some was described above) Would serve their purpose, but would remain ambiguous. It wouldn't exactly be for EVERY part of the game, but be broken down by Seasonal things, and Park items. Mainly decor, seating and build items.(good) EP's have around 120 items, so to be broken down, 25 themed items for warmer climates, 25 themed items for cooler climates, 50 Park items and 20 "tool" items for the fountains and coasters/slides.

^That in no way would be a pack that's not last, since it would have so much stuff in it. But, that would be my dream pack. It has weather, uses it, but it doesn't oversell it. It does what it needs to, and fits the purpose of the pack. :lovestruc

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#38 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 4:20 AM
Weather has to be the focus of the EP whenever we get it. EA is notorious for really wrecking stuff and if it's not the focus of the EP then it's going to be half arsed and crappy. I really want beautiful and meaningful weather in TS3 not some little thing stuck on an EP for more bucks.

Hi I'm Paul!
Instructor
#39 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Weather has to be the focus of the EP whenever we get it. EA is notorious for really wrecking stuff and if it's not the focus of the EP then it's going to be half arsed and crappy. I really want beautiful and meaningful weather in TS3 not some little thing stuck on an EP for more bucks.

Or only available via the Sims Store.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 10:11 AM
What's the difference between a pet and a toddler? The mesh, and a half-dozen custom animations.
If EA doesn't do pets before may, someone else will.
Forum Resident
#41 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:51 PM
Well its already been established that "On the Ranch" is fake even though I love that name and thought it would be an awesome EP.

Most likely the next Expansion Pack will have weather but I'm unsure about what major feature EA will couple it with. Coupling features seems to be a big thing over there as evident by LN. I would like a farm themed EP as its something new(aside from riverview, which is more like crop town than farming one) but to put weather and pets in the same EP would be an overload for most computers, especially people who play on laptops. Lets just hope information for what EA is doing starts rolling in soon. *fingers crossed for a Farming/Entrepreneur/OFB/Amusement Park EP*
Theorist
#42 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 4:57 PM
I don't really get the amusement park thing everyone is wanting. It's not like a roller coaster is going to add any depth to to the game, it'll be one of those things that sounds cool and you try it a couple times but in reality it's just another thing that you have to watch your sims do...

Hi I'm Paul!
Mad Poster
#43 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 5:34 PM
it isn't about matching your Sims do something, it's about adding another layer of creativity on to the game, and gives use more lot types to make and visit. Just because you don't like the idea, it doesn't mean other wont.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#44 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 5:34 PM
I enjoy watching my Sims do stuff. Though it would be more fun if they had more varied reactions to their environments and activities. I'm not into weather other than that it would (hopefully) bring more situations, activities, and ...(dare I say it)...consequences.

Matrix54 - I really like your Amusement park ideas -- water and theme park environments. It sounds like it would be fun to play and fun to build.

lenglel - lol. Poor stagnant toddlers. It's the animations that has prevented such a mod from happening I would imagine ( BTW, thanks for clarifying the necessary kbps on Mp3s for custom music. )

Miko09 - Where did you see the EP was a fake? Not arguing it isn't but please supply link if you have one. Thanks.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Scholar
#45 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I actually love your idea, Kiwi-tea!

I am not sure that Sim Medieval has anything to do with Sims 3. I mean, kids can grow up in Sims 3 but not in Sims Medieval. While the same engine was used, they obviously took a different track and created a rpg instead of a simulator and decided not to use animals other than pigeons, which they used for a form of telephone I think. One of the sim console games has horses yet we don't have them in the PC game. So not sure you can really extrapolate anything between games. They are all different. EA may have left animals out of Sims Medieval because they didn't want their game concept/features to be too huge. One loses money if they have a huge concept for one game..and more money if they spread concepts around.

Wait...so Sims Medieval has no animals in it??? How can that possibly be?
Instructor
#46 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Wait...so Sims Medieval has no animals in it??? How can that possibly be?

It's EA - it'd be better if you didn't question and just accepted the half-assed attempt at a game.
Forum Resident
#47 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
I don't really get the amusement park thing everyone is wanting. It's not like a roller coaster is going to add any depth to to the game, it'll be one of those things that sounds cool and you try it a couple times but in reality it's just another thing that you have to watch your sims do...

Normally I'm skeptical about the idea of huge sprawling entertainment venues that people often wish for (e.g. safaris, zoos), and I'm not sold on the idea of a huge sprawling amusement park, either, but-- one of my favorite types of lots to build back in Sims 1 was a little carnival lot. Between Makin' Magic roller coasters and real life-magic objects (you know, like the magician's table as opposed to the witchcraft magic), Vacation game and prize booths, and maybe Hot Date and Unleashed for food carts and certain purchasable items... sigh. Cute, fun, and something different for Sims to do that wasn't "eat at another restaurant" or "go shopping."

For Sims 3, if they were to do some kind of amusement park/carnival/fair set, I would hope we would at least back all those things, plus proper and lovely Ferris wheels and carousels. Ooh, and with a swimmable ocean, a proper boardwalk could be made!
Mad Poster
#48 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 8:01 PM
Oh, food cart would be lovely, specially ice-cream, like they had in TS1.
Scholar
#49 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
it isn't about matching your Sims do something, it's about adding another layer of creativity on to the game, and gives use more lot types to make and visit. Just because you don't like the idea, it doesn't mean other wont.

TBH, I think if you want to build or ride Roller Coasters you should buy Roller Coaster Tycoon or a similar game.

Roller Coasters will not work in TS3. You would have one large object to put down and your Sims will be able to ride it and maybe gain some moodlet from it. Very boring.

EA should be rather adding some real depth to the game. For example weather may do that, because weather will affect what outdoor activities your Sims want to do. Nobody wants to go jogging in the rain, if it's snowy, you can build snowmen, perhaps the school is closed, and if you stay outside to long, maybe you can become ill. Additionally, for example wind and thunderstorms may add atmosphere to the game and if it's nice and sunny, your Sims may just feel great or get sunburns. The possibilities are endless, as weather could affect almost everything, make the game more interesting and add some more restrictions and difficulties.
Theorist
#50 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 8:37 PM
I like the roller coaster idea.
You could have long drop-splash type ones, ghost house ones (with the fog emitter the scary effects are there), slow love tunnel rides, all sorts.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Page 2 of 9