Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#51 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 8:48 PM
I don't really care for the amusement park idea either, sorry. It has been done so much better in simulation games and I think it would be rather repetitive in Sims 3.

Johna, I agree with you. A lot can be done with weather. If they took each season and developed a range of things to go with that season, I could see a really good EP developing. For example, in the fall, the stadiums could have football games, apple harvests, fall festivals, etc. In the winter, there could be ice skating, winter sports such as sledding, snowman building and angel making and even ice fishing. In the spring, one could plant crops for maximum yield, spring cleaning of their homes and yards, birds could return, flowers bloom, sims could get the urge to be outside, spring fever for the school kids, etc. In the summer, the pools could open, the beaches become swimmable, butterflies and lightbugs could be captured, sims should get the urge to barbecue outside or have picnics, summer sports could be added, camping in parks added, school could be out, etc. There are many more things that could be in the game too such as some holidays...even made up rather than real holidays, ones that are culturally neutral and secular. Wild animals could be added to the parks...remember the bunnies in Sims 1? Gardening could be set to work with the seasons as it did in Sims 2.

I have some concerns that the games so far have been set up to very carefully avoid any seasonal references. They chose California cities because California does not have huge seasonal changes. They did not use tropical or arctic destinations for WA. But who knows with EA.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#52 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 10:17 PM
This is one EP that sounds perfect to me! I just hope it was an early announcement and that they took it down because it was. fingers crossed!
EDIT:: Well they did combine 3 ideas that could be packs on their own in LN, Nightlife, Superstar and Apartment Life. So maybe they would make a Pets/Weather/County Fair type pack, they all fit together nicely.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 10:27 PM
The Sims 1 had roller coasters that you could build.
Just saying.

You can't claim something wont add much to the game than just a moodlet if that's all you claim it can do. I would love to see a theme park EP, mainly because it's new, and the Sims has never focused on themes parks, opposed to something that we have already had and people want more of. Saying other games have done something better wouldn't really be plausible, seeing as there are quite a few tycoons games out there, yet the Sims 2 has a business EP, and it worked well for the Sims 2. The point EPs are to expand upon the game, and make it as big as possible, so when everyone finally get their wishes of old content from the Sims 2, then what? Would you want the Sims 4 to be a copy of old the Sims 3 or the Sims 2, or do something new? Which is why Amusement Parks (and Farms) have been brought up. They are new, not rehashes. BTW: not everyone wants weather slowing down the game or animals that are nothing more than an extra child to take of, and you can't control.

Seasons and pets are welcome. so is something new.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 10:28 PM
I was JUST thinking last night how I missed sims 2 pets and would LOVE to have them in sims 3! Extended of course.

Some things I'm hoping they'll include are:

*vet career track
*self-employed breeder
*pet genetics(similar to sims traits)
*Use of symbols to view genetics(OO would be a pure black dog, Oo would be a black dog carrying another color, etc.)
*better blending of breeds(In sims 2 if you bred 2 different breeds you could very well end up with a monster looking dog!)
*be able to breed horses and other farm animals to show/sale
*Actually be able to RIDE the horses
*Mutations- In reality you could breed 2 virtually identical animals that have bred true frequently to suddenly end up with 1 pup/kit/etc. thats a totally different color/has different markings/is larger/smaller than it's parents/has much worse\better statistics than either\both parents/etc.
*Riding/Breeding/etc. skills

AND pets other than dogs/cats/hamsters/birds/etc. I've own rats/mice/guinea pigs/chinchillas my whole life and I'm NOT a big fan of hamsters(bad experience as a child *shivers*) so I'd like more options(snakes/spiders/etc. would be nice too though I don't like them)

It would be AWESOME if sim kids could go out exploring and come home with pet spiders/snakes/lizard/mice/etc LOL I know my mom was ALWAYS getting onto me about bringing wild animals into the house when I was growing up XD I used to catch baby chipmunks and bring them home :P

Sorry for the list , I've become obsessed with genetics(learning genetics before breeding my rats) and I played a genetics game last night(had to breed multiple dogs until you got the desired result) and ever since then these thoughts have been running through my head!

Play through this and you'll understand what I meant by genetics, it's a very quick game

http://pbskids.org/dragonflytv/game...ogbreeding.html

and this funny game to see random mutations XD

http://www.lorenzgames.com/game/celebrity-pedigree
Test Subject
#55 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 10:40 PM
I don't see weather mentioned in the major updates. So I guess we won't get weather this time either... Shame
Test Subject
#56 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 11:02 PM
I would really love some weather in my game right now. I dont believe this rumour though there must be an expansion pack due soon. I just hope it has less issues then I'm getting with LN and they fix any really horrible issues that they have still yet to fix.

Weather would be so fun though. It just adds more realism to the game and I like it. I like to have them dressing for all weathers but at the moment my winter clothing in-game seems a little obsolete. I'd love for the height slider too. I like to have sims different heights especially considering I'm one of the shorter people in life and I'd like my self-sim to reflect that haha. I could see it being possible being that they've introduced breast and muscle definition sliders, though I guess it might bork animations.

Animals would be a nice addition to the game too. If they are going to have a "pets" like expansion I really hope they have a bigger range of animals to look after rather then just dogs and cats. I'd like for some of my sims to have snakes or spiders or something different, or a rabbit, hamster etc rather then just a dog or cat. Plus, I dont think either would work well in the high-rise situation!
Mad Poster
#57 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 11:05 PM
^Fanning the amusement park flames...
http://img59.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdd.jpg/

Test Subject
#58 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 11:12 PM
For some reason, if this is true. I'd imagine the Special Monster sim to be a zombie. With the Night of the Living Dead being on a barn and all.
Retired
retired moderator
#59 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 11:37 PM
Romero-style zombies in a barn sounds fantastic.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Field Researcher
#60 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
I don't really get the amusement park thing everyone is wanting. It's not like a roller coaster is going to add any depth to to the game, it'll be one of those things that sounds cool and you try it a couple times but in reality it's just another thing that you have to watch your sims do...

Definitely agree with you on that one!

19 - Female - Australia
Forum Resident
#61 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 1:24 AM
Id like the build roller coasters and amusement parks for my sims, I could make some really awesome ones! Alot of creatures could fit in, Zombies, werewolves, living scarecrows, Aliens, a lot!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#62 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 4:13 AM
Looks shooped to me.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
They chose California cities because California does not have huge seasonal changes.

you've obviously never been to my part of California.

Actually, I see it as there are some references - Sunset Valley and Riverview seem to be stuck in an eternal summer, Twinbrook feels warm yet cold to me, meaning fall, and Bridgeport is kinda cold - Winter. I've never played Barnacle Bay, but from pictures I've seen, it seems more like a Spring-oriented world to me.

Some of the plants added are more Seasonal-looking to me. Like, for instance, the dead trees added with one of the EPs (I'm not sure which.) seem like trees in Winter, to me - no leaves. We have cherry trees that are in blossom and have turned pink, a common occurrence in Spring.

Just my thoughts. And now that they've gone full-cycle with the worlds, maybe the next EP -is- Seasons!

Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
3) To farm these animals Sims need to purchase a "Farm" community lot. There are two types: Crop Field and Farmyard. Crop Fields allow Sims to skill up in Handiness and Gardening by using advanced gardening objects to grow crops en masse. Farmyards allow Sims to raise most Livestock.

Just gonna throw this out there, Farm = crops, Ranch = livestock, so no, well, odd names (Farmyard just sounds... weird.)
Theorist
#64 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 4:30 AM
^ Not shopped but that pic is something anyone could build with the existing game... (minus some CC)

Quote:
TBH, I think if you want to build or ride Roller Coasters you should buy Roller Coaster Tycoon or a similar game.

You took the words out of my mouth! Roller Coaster Tycoon and the other really similar games undoubtedly do a better job then what EA would do. A theme park EP would be really boring, I wouldn't mind an EP somewhat similar to FT that gave your sims more things to do outside of work though.

- Icecream and Coffee Shops
- Clubs or teams like joining a baseball team at the stadium or having a book club at a certain neighbors house every week. They would happen on certain days at certain times. Kids could join clubs after school. Some would be in RHs and others would not.
- Ping pong tables (we need one...)
- More social interactions (vague but we need more!!!)
- Return of the dating game?
- Fortune teller wandering around town
- Violin (cause it's awesome)
- Roller Rink

Hi I'm Paul!
Forum Resident
#65 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
A theme park EP would be really boring, ...

There will never be a "theme park EP" because, usually, EA doesn't build EPs around single nouns like that. Obviously if there were an EP with some sort of (highly limited) theme park in it, it would be part of, I dunno, a FT-style recreation EP or a seasons-based EP: broader themes of which an amusement park might be a representative.

I don't know what anyone else wants vis-a-vis roller coasters: all I know is the TS1 ones were fun and cute, however simplistic they were. Ditto all the fair games and such. Also, The Sims should not be about trying to encompass Rollercoaster Tycoon or Sim Zoo within its own worlds, so I agree there.

As for them being one more thing to watch your Sims do (though watching your Sim do something > watching your Sim disappear in a rabbit hole)... everything in the game is watching your Sim do something, unless we want to get into the idea of mini-games for the player embedded in the real game. Play violin? Watch Sim play violin. Skating rink? Watch Sim skate. New social interactions? Watch Sim socialize. So...right. I don't get that argument.
Retired
retired moderator
#66 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:11 AM
Quote:
Just gonna throw this out there, Farm = crops, Ranch = livestock, so no, well, odd names (Farmyard just sounds... weird.)

Varies from area to area and from country to country. Try using the word "ranch" in New Zealand and we'll just give you a WTF look. And farm means a lot more crops here too. I didn't want to use a term like "feedlot" though, because it rightly carries negative connotations.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Scholar
#67 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
There will never be a "theme park EP" because, usually, EA doesn't build EPs around single nouns like that.

EA actually is in the habit of building around a one noun theme(Ambitions/Seasons/Pets/Vacation/Supertsar, etc).

Obviously if there were an EP with some sort of (highly limited) theme park in it, it would be part of, I dunno, a FT-style recreation EP or a seasons-based EP: broader themes of which an amusement park might be a representative.

I don't know what anyone else wants vis-a-vis roller coasters: all I know is the TS1 ones were fun and cute, however simplistic they were. Ditto all the fair games and such.

Sounds like what I'm thinking as well. Many players enjoyed the rollercoaster and carnival games in TS1 and think similar activities and objects could work well in TS3. It's an expansive idea as the amusement park theme could be reflective of anything from Disneyland to Six Flags to Hershey Park to Coney Island to whatever. As for the theme park elements they could be anything existing or imagined - Westworld, Universal, Colonial Williamsburg, Renaissance Fairs, etc. There would be a lot of sim activities as well as the abilitly to build these environments-- getting as creative (or not) as we like.

Also, The Sims should not be about trying to encompass Rollercoaster Tycoon or Sim Zoo within its own worlds, so I agree there.

As this would be an EP and extension of the Sims game and not the actual focus of the entire game as is the case in Roller Coaster Tycoon -- there really is no comparison there between the two.

As for them being one more thing to watch your Sims do (though watching your Sim do something > watching your Sim disappear in a rabbit hole)... everything in the game is watching your Sim do something, unless we want to get into the idea of mini-games for the player embedded in the real game. Play violin? Watch Sim play violin. Skating rink? Watch Sim skate. New social interactions? Watch Sim socialize. So...right. I don't get that argument.

There is nothing to get since its a nonsensical statement. It's not as if people play with their monitor off -- so just by virtue of playing the game they're watching their Sims.

I couldn't agree with you more --this is a video game and a visual meduim and all about watching. But it's also a form of entertainment so the fun factor should be elevated. Whatever the next EP brings let's hope its visually appealing, fun to play, and full of activities.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Top Secret Researcher
#68 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 6:32 AM
I would personally love a roller coaster one. Don't care about ranches, cuz I don't like horses or farming, even though I am now living in the country.
BTW, I searched on Wikipedia and Googled. Came up with NOTHING having to do with Sims 3 and ranches. So I'm pretty sure this isn't legit.

ENTJ
Forum Resident
#69 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
EA actually is in the habit of building around a one noun theme(Ambitions/Seasons/Pets/Vacation/Supertsar, etc).

Ah, aside from pets and vacation, though,* I'd consider those to be broad themes. Ambitions is certainly a single noun, but it encapsulates a whole lot more than "pets"-- the whole motif of letting players play Sims-at-work, broken down into certain jobs. "Ambitions" itself, as a word, is not tied to any particular...well, anything.

Superstar is another single word that nonetheless sums up the broad theme of fame, which channeled into acting/modeling/singing paths. A non-thematic inversion of that, for example (as I'm thinking of it), would instead be "a recording studio EP!" or "a modeling EP!" Narrower concept, limited noun. Something like an amusement park could be very broad, I suppose, but in the end it's still just one thing in one place with limited external applicability. Perhaps I am playing too fast and loose with semantics.

*I did say "usually," not "always"-- University is another mono-motif I can think of.
Instructor
#70 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 7:36 AM
Ehhhh. I feel like having an amusement park EP would be like playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 all over again. Blergh.

"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit at a typewriter and open a vein."
-Walter "Red" Smith
Mad Poster
#71 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 7:52 AM
The Sims 3 has something that the Roller Coaster Tycoons games don't have, and that is a bigger focus on creativity and interactivity. In Roller Coaster Tycoon, your main job is to build up and sustain the park. In the Sims, it's you job to live and enjoy it as much as possible. By wanting a Roller Coaster in the game, it doesn't turn the game into a business simulation (which the Sims 3 received through an update, even though it wasn't anything special outside of buying and fixing up a lot) which Roller Coaster Tycoon is. It turns the game into even more of a game. In Roller Coaster Tycoon, your actually limited to what you can make, of two reasons. The materials your given, and the inability to recolor anything. In regard to creativity, the Sims 3 ALREADY has RT beat, out the box, given that you could, really, build anything from a castle to a floating spaceship. ANYTHING! Not only build, but furnish, decorate the interiors (not just place a building), make everything MATCH and look cohesive, etc. And the scenery around the park wouldn't be just scenery, it would be a living town that you could touch, mold and control-OUT THE BOX! On top of the creative aspect, the interactivity with the Sim in relation to the ride would have player effects and would have depth to the game, like what a Sim eats, what a sims does at the park with or without friends, family bonding, socializing, etc.. In RCT, you get a bunch of personality-free robots show up, pay money, ride a ride and leave. Nothing more than a mechanic to tell you if your park is good or bad. Given that the Sims 3 has actual people with personalities doing something, with different likes, dislikes, favorites, etc. (Real-ish people), rather than a bunch of clones spitting out the same lines about how much they like the park. Sims even point out how dirty their surrounding are, how unhappy they are, what their needs are if certain services are unavailable, etc. IN FRONT OF YOU, even when you don't control them, which is what RCT does. They socialize, eat, walk, pee on their own, and you can interact with them on a personal level, and through cheats, play as them.

If you think you don't want to play Roller Coaster Tycoon... you pretty much are, minus the rides and extensive business controls.
And now you know... :P

Mad Poster
#72 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 10:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheLB
Ehhhh. I feel like having an amusement park EP would be like playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 all over again. Blergh.

For this reason, that it has already been done in another game, then probably there should not be a Sims3 because there already is a Sim2 and Sims1. Or that there should be no farming because it has already been done in another game. Well, this is the Sims3 and it's a life simulation game, we might as well get as many new objects and interractions as possible to make it closer to life. A Sims3 amusement park wouldn't be like playing Roller Coaster Tycoon because, for starters, you could choose not to run the business lot. Secondly, it would be a non Rabbithole venue, something we desperately need in the game. Sims could take their children and/or significant other there for a fun filled day. Breaks the routine for them and also for the player. Thirdly, it would contain objects that could well be used outside the amusement park idea. An icecream/popcorn/cottoncandy cart could be placed anywhere in the city, a rollercoaster, if it's designable, could be used as a means of transportation within a lot which would allow you to build more interesting lots for your sims.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#73 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Crop Field and Farmyard. Crop Fields allow Sims to skill up in Handiness and Gardening by using advanced gardening objects to grow crops en masse. Farmyards allow Sims to raise most Livestock.

<nitpick>

Farm = Crops
Ranch = Livestock

</nitpick>
Mad Poster
#74 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 4:43 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Thirdly, it would contain objects that could well be used outside the amusement park idea. An icecream/popcorn/cottoncandy cart could be placed anywhere in the city, a rollercoaster, if it's designable, could be used as a means of transportation within a lot which would allow you to build more interesting lots for your sims.

I could see costumes and prizes/souvenirs being added, and the decor could be used as themed children's furniture, news foods (like above), new music, new build buy items, lots that require money to enter (since you pay to get in the park, etc.), new moodlets + new traits (motion sickness, hates mascots, hates costumes, afraid of heights, etc.), bigger lots, new pool interactions, etc. There is so much you could do with a park type expansion pack outside of the park itself. That the point of an expansion pack, to expand the game, not necessarily in the EP's theme.

EDIT: oh... and fake subways underground with mods.

Theorist
#75 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:08 PM
I love the idea of an amusement park themed expansion pack. It sounds awesome--it would even tempt me to give Sims 3 another chance just because of the creative aspect of it and it just sounds fun to play. I think the one thing an amusement park really needs are crowds of people though. If the game has a hard time packing a bar full of people I wonder how they'd go about filling up an amusement park? The potential is there but I wonder if EA could really pull it off.
Page 3 of 9