Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 3:20 PM
Default What Languages Do You Speak?
Since their are Simmers from all over the world, I wanted to see what other people speak/are learning to speak. Me? I was raised on English but am learning French. I'm not that good of a French speaker, though.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 8:06 AM
English and Spanish.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:03 AM
I was raised to speak English & Ukrainian.., other then that I know French and Spanish.
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:03 AM
English and Swedish, and some very basic Cantonese.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 10:06 AM
Raised learning English, Mexican Spanish and the Legalese dialect of English. Understands Japanese and German enough to keep my nose clean. Has a grasp on Chinese (Mandarin dialect), Korean, French, Italian and Brazilian Portuguese to piece words together, but wants to learn Russian (beyond padruga (girlfriend), privet (hello), dastvidanya (goodbye), da (yes) and nyet (no)), the Nordic languages of Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish (which, with the exception of Finnish, are roughly the same language that has been spoken for past millennia or 2.) and Thai.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Inventor
#6 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:19 PM
I understand and speak russian but can not read russian text, I also speak swedish, english and rammstein-german.

Fun fact: CC (sii-sii) means boobies in russian.

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -
Scholar
#7 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:37 PM
English is my main language, followed by French, Dutch, some Arabic, and whatever level GCSE German is. The disappointing thing is that I've got all those languages around me all the time (except German) yet I'm only fluent in english.
Scholar
#8 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:41 PM
English is my main language. I went to an all Irish primary school, so I'm fluent in Gaeilge too. I know a bit of Latin, some Spanish, I know German and I like to "Confess Attraction" and "Anounce Pregnancy" to people in Simlish.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 7:16 PM
English and Spanish, both well enough to teach park visitors about the parks I work in in either language, which can be very helpful- sadly, it's about the only use I get for my Spanish anymore... I can also understand a surprising amount of Italian or even Latin, on the rare occasion you hear it spoken (I've never taken any classes on either), just thanks to the similarities with Spanish. Can't speak a word of either myself though...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:22 PM
Italian's my first language, then I know some English, Spanish, and French...and Latin, which is still taught in school here.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 10:59 PM
English is my first language, followed by functional Esperanto & Spanish. After that I have a basic understanding of French, Italian & Greek. (Concerning Greek, I am much better at writing and speaking it than I fear I will ever be at reading it.)

I'm really into languages. Unfortunately that often means dropping one once I have basic proficiency in it to pick up another one, so I have a basic understanding in many more languages than the three mentioned above, those are just the ones I can be bothered the actively study.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Instructor
#12 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:25 PM
English as a first language. I was taught Spanish in my K-8 school for all 9 years, and while it was mostly vocabulary and basic phrases I can read and comprehend OK-ish. I'm in my 3rd year of learning French while in high school, although to say the least I'm not very good at my accent.
I can speak French a lot easier than Spanish because my French teacher believes the only way to learn is to hear & speak it, while my Spanish teacher followed everything by the book and just gave us busywork on vocabulary to do day after day.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:53 PM
English. I was taught French for 3 years in high school, and Japanese for a year in College as an extra-curricular. Now that I live in Wales I've picked up a few basic words and phrases, and I know bits of Swedish, as I have a swedish friend who teaches me them sometimes. But yeah basically I'm only fluent in English.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#14 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:26 AM
German as mother tongue, but my English is better than my German. I'm a German who speaks better English than German. That seems to break all logic for me.
#15 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 12:01 AM
English now, but I used to speak Polish fluently and right now I'm learning German.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Instructor
#16 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 12:20 AM
my first language is English.. my second language is english... and you guessed it my third is ENGLISH!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 1:00 AM
English but I know a little Romanian and want to learn Serbian.
Instructor
#18 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 5:45 AM
english & french

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 6:12 AM
English and Spanish over here, also able to read Italian but can't speak it worth a dime.

When I get lost in Italy it'll be okay, though.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Theorist
#20 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 6:40 AM
English and very poor bordering on amateur hour Japanese. I also speak lolcat.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 9:02 AM
English, obviously, some Korean and Malay. I would love to learn Swedish and Italian. I think they're really pretty languages.
Instructor
#22 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 9:59 AM
I can speak Italian, English and French. I know German and Spanish but don't speak them very well because the occasion never comes up. I used to study Latin and Ancient Greek for a few years in high school, and when I started uni I studied Dutch for a period.
I also speak fluent emoji.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by flowr
English, obviously, some Korean and Malay...

Wow and congratulations! Those are in three completely different language groups, so knowing one wouldn't help you much with either of the others.
Instructor
#24 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 9:47 PM
Croatian and some english,but I would like to learn more.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 11:02 PM
English and Franglish, or Acadian french. It's a terrible broken french with a bunch of English all mixed in. And fluent Newf which again, is a whole lot of garbled English. But it's so beautiful being whispered in your ear, the smell of screech drifting by.
Page 1 of 2