Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 10 (Who?), Viewed: 1553 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 11:19 AM
Default Crash just after launch
I have come back after a break of a few months. I installed all EPs in order then all stuffpacks then patched all expansion packs
I have all of the expansion packs and all stuff packs except FFS, K+B.

Trying to run with Mansion and garden which insist on having its DVD in the drive will result in the following Error just after pressing play in the launcher.

Sims2 EP9 has encountered a problem and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Trying to bypass the launcher will not prevent the error and neither will running it in windowed mode. Is there a switch to disable sound?

The weird thing is uninstalling Mansion and Garden but leaving all other eps and stuff packs and it will run without crashes.

My system
Windows XP professional build 2600
direct x9.0c (4.09.0000.0904); used 2010 redistributable recently
No directx errors
Nvidia drivers catalyst 266.58 upgraded from 251.67
AMD Athlon xp 2700+
2 GB DDR ram
Nforce2 board

I have no user generated files or CC for testing and it still crashes isolating it to the mansion and garden stuffpack.

The only thing left by the looks of it isre installing and even then I am no sure it will work
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 4:14 PM
You can turn off the sound with "-nosound".

Have you tried cleaning your M&G disk?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 9:19 AM Last edited by Moganite : 2nd Mar 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Thank you
I have cleaned the disc no changes
and the sound is not the problem.

I might just be pushing to hard as there is some stuttering running Appartment life with all the stuff packs I have except M&G.

Edit
I have found a discrepancy I cant find the install keys.

But I also cant find the sims2 install keys for any of the expansions or stuffpacks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 12:37 PM
More information checking the error logs of windows I found this.

Faulting application sims2ep9.exe, version 1.17.0.66, faulting module sims2ep9.exe, version 1.17.0.66, fault address 0x0123fb48.

Trouble is I have now cleaned the registry and attempted to reinstall with only the base game and mansion and garden and it still crashes giving the same entry in the error log.

This has me really stumped.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 6:01 PM
This may not help you but this helped when we were having trouble in our game. It was really simple. All we had to do was delete the cache files. There were some in the Sim2 Double Deluxe folder (same place where our Downloads folder is) sitting there at the bottom of the folders. And also some were hiding in the HTTPCache folder. When these were deleted everything worked fine. Don't know if that will help you but worth a try.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 3:04 AM
Will try that but this appears to be a securom issue- a first for me for some reason. I found this out from a google search of the error message will try contacting securom. saw an exe file that was hacked to at MATY. just curious to how safe it is.
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#7 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 10:47 AM
EA did temporarily offer an exe to uninstall SecuROM, as I recall (they certainly offered instructions), so it may be that the file on MATY is just the EA one rehosted.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 10:48 AM
Thanks also got one from the securom site through the auto update tool. Will be keeping both files just in case.
Site Helper
#9 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 3:51 PM
Unfortunately, if you uninstall SecuROM, then EA does not allow you to play your legally bought game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:50 PM
Fortunately I haven't had to uninstall SecuRom yet. Though if I have to do that I don't think I will be buying another EA product Period.
Site Helper
#11 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 6:50 PM
EA has realized the error of their ways for TS3, but you need to be careful about DRM with any product that you buy. There are several DRM systems out there which are really bad.

Section jump