Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 8:34 AM
Default *light bulb*
I just thought of something else you can do to reduce the dowloads stored on your computer...start a CD library. I have 5 or 6 disks crammed full of compressed/zipped files sorted by type and labeled for ease of use (Fences and Columns, Doors and windows, Walls and floors, etc...) with a thumbnail screenshot of each item stored in the file. These are all things that I use mainly for special projects (i.e. requests from fellow simmers, family and friends) and do not need to have continual access to. I imagine this solution is probably more viable for story tellers/movie makers who need a large cache of varied props, locales and decor, but it should prove valuable to those of you who have neighborhoods set in different time periods or that one gothic horror scenario that you infrequently fiddle with...you know who you are.

From Simonut: Here is my take on if Sims 2 is losing popularity or not, If you offer or give a monkey a banana will he take it even if the banana is green or yellow ? Whatever new games EA put out there like the Sims3 some human somewhere will buy it.
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#27 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kneon_Knight
I just thought of something else you can do to reduce the dowloads stored on your computer...start a CD library. I have 5 or 6 disks crammed full of compressed/zipped files sorted by type and labeled for ease of use (Fences and Columns, Doors and windows, Walls and floors, etc...) with a thumbnail screenshot of each item stored in the file. These are all things that I use mainly for special projects (i.e. requests from fellow simmers, family and friends) and do not need to have continual access to. I imagine this solution is probably more viable for story tellers/movie makers who need a large cache of varied props, locales and decor, but it should prove valuable to those of you who have neighborhoods set in different time periods or that one gothic horror scenario that you infrequently fiddle with...you know who you are.

I do that with my archives of stuff that I've removed but that I might want back someday for some reason. Much of it is period stuff or stuff that's in a style that I don't always play with. So I have a DVD with folders called "Medieval," "Ancient," "Prehistoric," "Fantasy," "Victorian," "Urban," "Trashed-Grunge-PostApocalyptic," etc.

Also, I will set up different user accounts on my computer for the express purpose of running a certain specialized neighborhood. Say, a medieval one. That user account will have all of the medieval CC in its Downloads folder, plus necessary hacks and such for medieval-style play, but none of the modern CC. It makes the medieval game load more quickly, and it keeps the unneeded medieval stuff out of my regular, non-medieval game. It works well and might work well for other players who like to play different time periods.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#28 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 9:45 PM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 22nd Mar 2011 at 9:54 PM. Reason: added
Usually I keep my CC in a separate folder in my computer and pull it out as I use it. My pc is 64-bit capable , but I'm running it at 32-bit and don't think that making the game use more than 2 gigs will work....I did read the link for how to get the game to run using more video memory; but for now I'm stuck with the system specs that I have. BTW, my sims2 is running o.k. at the highest settings w/o crashes ---unless I get too much CC or corrupted stuff.
When we upgrade our pc's, I hope to get more capabilities for my sims. My dream is to play with as much CC as possible.

I'm bookmarking this thread for ideas about adding CC on my pc---we upgraded the graphics card and I wanted to upgrade again but the tech at BestBuy said upgrading again ( from our Nvidia 250 ) probably would'nt make the game run with even more CC --if that's my goal---which it is. Talking to techs from EA let me know that our graphics card isn't the recommended one for sims2 ; but that it'll work.

PS: is there any way to get e-mail notification when this thread is replied to ?? There are some threads on here that I want to read further replies, but don't necessarily want to post anything. Thanks... :p

" Inama Nushif "
Test Subject
#29 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 1:06 PM
I dnt know what happened but every time I go to a community lot the person just leaves and I cant play with them anymore
Field Researcher
#30 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 4:53 PM
kufan9, this is not the help section of the forum. On the bar above, go to help --> game help home. Then post your issue along with any mods you might be using in the appropriate section. I'm sure someone will be happy to help you there.

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
Test Subject
#31 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kneon_Knight

thats a very good idea i never thought of that before
Test Subject
#32 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 6:18 PM
DigitalSympathies has 75 gigs.

My old XP computer is crying thinking about how much space that is.
Site Helper
#33 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chicken0895
kufan9, this is not the help section of the forum. On the bar above, go to help --> game help home. Then post your issue along with any mods you might be using in the appropriate section. I'm sure someone will be happy to help you there.
kufan9, there's no use posting a list of your mods. Instead, do the Game_Help:Game_Problemwiki FAQ, which you are required to complete before posting in the help forum. It will likely solve your problem.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gwonlyeog
DigitalSympathies has 75 gigs.

My old XP computer is crying thinking about how much space that is.

As a person who has a room full of old computers, I'd say mine are used to the intimidation of it all by now. They just quietly purr in a corner, gnawing away at smaller stuff . . .

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 11:29 AM
Game is horrible without CC.
Scholar
#36 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 11:56 AM
Your game has too much custom content when it loads too slowly for your level of patience. This therefore varies from player to player, even before considering that some of us are playing on the latest equipment and others on machinery last seen in a computer museum...
Forum Resident
#37 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 1:10 PM Last edited by LaurellKH : 28th Aug 2013 at 1:28 PM.
I have had this problem. I am to lazy to want to go through a site and pick and choose which recolor I want. I just blob download everything. It is not discouraged because many times the sites they do not explain what goes with what. If there is how do you say parent mesh that must be there and others linked to it that makes it even worse. Then you get afraid you might be missing some important parent file so you download it all. Then you look proud at all you have it is folders full. Get into the game and it shows up only a few items and you think, "how is that folders full of stuff?"

So I have restarted playing sims not because of game crash but because I need to practice restraint.

My tricks are this:

1) I like "cleaned neighborhoods" so not all those useless sims I will just make in to tombs. This runs game faster.
2) I have all EP/SP but I will not play Open For Business neighborhood because it was useless. It's dynamics auto-applies anyway so does not need neighborhood. Less for PC to load. PC runs faster.
3) I force myself to slow down and get only what I want in that moment. I want fancy chair? Then only search for fancy chair put all other searches aside for later with book mark and make myself wait until fancy chair search is done and tested in game.
4) Test it in game for a week.
5) Make sure all mods work before furniture hunting.
6) Keep everything in folders with pictures and links.
7) Use Clean Installer make sure no copy cats. But I do not like it. The pink and red look to much alike I wish they would have made the pink blue instead. I wish even more they would have made it find them and show them to us on separate tab both the copy and it's original copied. But at least there is a Clean Installer even if not perfect.
8) I bought all EP/SP just so I could stop having to worry about "does this work with my game?"
9) I use SimPE to reclass what catalog my clothing and furniture will show up in. This makes game run faster if I REDUCE and make sure item only shows up in two places and no more than two in a catalog.
10) My new favorite trick is making collections. I used to never use collections but now I love them. I use this program: http://forum.jfade.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58
Field Researcher
#38 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 2:04 PM
I'm sure others will chide me on this, but although I enjoy quality CC and have plenty, IMO, there can be too much of a good thing if you spend more time downloading then playing; but then again, I'm speaking mostly for my playing style, wherein once a house is built and decorated, it more or less stays that way for generations and my sims generally wear one outfit for an entire life stage, so I have lots of nice-looking stuff that I really haven't used much (and often find myself using the same things or same style things over and over)

That said, that's more of a personal preference and since it's your game, you can do what you want as to that; technical-wise, I agree with everyone else - if you don't find game performance to suffer, knock yourself out.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 3:26 PM
I've been culling the herd of custom content this past weekend especially when my internet was out for four days, and you know, the day draws long without the internet when there isn't much else to do. So, what did I do? Played Sims a lot, yes and deleted all of the custom content I did not find matches the aesthetic I prefer in my game which is more or less Maxis match these days with the exception of realistic skin, eyes and makeup. I just love the bright, crisp look of Maxis match hair, clothes and furniture so removing all the grungy and surrealistic furniture has helped a bit with game performance. I am also trying to figure out which mods are culprit for giving my Sims an error when using the drink bar, come on! No drinks is not fun! Otherwise it is easier on my eyes not looking at ghastly textures and ugly stuff I do not even use or just clicking past it. I basically just use custom content from An-nas, Nabila, Trapping, Sentate, Poppet Sims, CuriousB, Vimpse, SelenaQ, and other people who make clean, generally Maxis match high quality recolors and content.
Test Subject
#40 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 6:22 AM
Default Is custom content causing my sim to not do anything?
Okay, so I've recently discovered the awesomeness of Custom Content though it seems as of late as I've started a new family the sims I'm using do not do actions after a few seconds. Does this happen to anyone else?
Theorist
#41 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 6:27 AM Last edited by CaliBrat : 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:18 AM.
Your question would have been better off as a new question in the help section rather than necro'ing a 3 year old thread.

Be that as it may, it sounds as if you might have a CC conflict. When did this first start? Did you put any new CC in before it happened?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 7:36 AM

If new custom content is giving you issues try pulling it. Also please make a new thread in help, or use the Stupid Question thread.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#43 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 9:19 AM
Back on track:

"Computer hasn't exploded into a massive fireball yet? Might as well install more CC!"
Scholar
#44 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 10:57 AM
Yeah, there are no hard figures on what's too much or too little. But as long as your game still loads within a reasonable time (some are content to wait for three hours, while others want to be playing within 2 minutes, if possible), and doesn't get too laggy and jerk-y during game-play, there's always room for more CC.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 9:27 PM
I've come dangerously close to the "massive fireball" more than once - to be fair, though, that wasn't in the Sims 2.
Theorist
#46 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 9:39 PM Last edited by CaliBrat : 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:05 PM.
It seems that the thread resurrector (is that even a word? ... lol) might have done so not only without realizing it was a 3 year old thread, but also it was in the totally wrong Sims forum. Me thinks that they Googled an issue and landed on this thread.

In lookin at their profile they don't have Sims 2 listed, but they do have some 3 and 4. Their last post, which coincidentally has to do with a similar question as they posted here, was posted in the Sims 4 section about 15 min after this post. Hmmmm..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#47 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:03 PM
So not only do the resurrect a dead thread, they play sims 3 and 4. *slaps forehead*

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#48 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 4:02 AM
So we help someone in the wrong way because they came to the wrong place. Serves them right
Instructor
#49 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 8:44 PM
There is a away to expand the amount of cc that your game can handle? I use to have like 18gb of cc on my old computer.. now I only go to 9gb more than this my game crashes on build or buy mode

I am Brazilian but I live in Switzerland!!!!
Call me Paula if you want :)
My Tumblr =)
Mad Poster
#50 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 11:03 PM
How much custom content is too much?

You've got too much custom content if the Grim Reaper comes to get you before your game finishes loading.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Page 2 of 3