Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:13 PM
Default Is TS2 losing popularity?
When I come on the MTS boards, it seems the TS2 boards are not as active as TS3's. Also, it seems there is more CC being uploaded for TS3 than TS2 in the download section.
Is it just me or is TS2 losing popularity? Are some of the TS2 fans going over to TS3 now because it's more popular? Discuss.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:16 PM
This again.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
This again.

What do you mean? Has this been discussed before? Sorry if it has x_x
Instructor
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:25 PM
Default Die-hards
In all honesty, I think the reason there is less TS2 content being uploaded is because a) nearly every conceivable mod and item has been covered in numerous threads accross several different sites, and b) creators, designers and modders are finally getting a handle on some of the more draconian coding and design features of TS3.

Or, it could be because EA itself is pretty much abandoning the game in favor of its newest incarnation. In any event, I have absolutely no interest in TS3, and I am sure that there are many others who feel the same way (Simonut, the creator of some absolutely marvelous lots hosted on this site , is one that I can name off the top of my head.)

The time to worry is not when the flow of content slows, but when it halts altogether. Until then, there will be those of us who will continue to play blissfully with our cartoonish, irrational, and naive pixel dollies.

From Simonut: Here is my take on if Sims 2 is losing popularity or not, If you offer or give a monkey a banana will he take it even if the banana is green or yellow ? Whatever new games EA put out there like the Sims3 some human somewhere will buy it.
Scholar
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:27 PM
It is likely that TS2 hasn't really "lost" popularity, but rather is falling into the shadow of TS3, as TS3 is newer and the focus of modern game expansions. This leads to a lot more to talk about and discuss with TS3 than TS2. There's still a very large fanbase who continues to play TS2, just not a whole lot to talk about.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:30 PM
And who cares if it's popular or not? I played Sims1 for ten years without any community involvement. This place is handy for a lot of things, but if it went belly-up I could still play Sims2 'cause I still have the discs. Our tabletop gaming group has a Champions 5th Edition and an AD&D game in the planning stages - neither is supported by the parent company and AD&D's parent company doesn't even exist anymore. We all refuse to play 4th Edition D&D for reasons that don't matter here, and we have enough rulebooks we could play thirty different games from any time since the invention of roleplaying when we're all in the old folks home. When I was growing up we played board games nobody else ever heard of that my parents had kept from their Depression childhoods.

Let other people like what they like. It doesn't affect my games.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:39 PM
Thanks for your responses guys. Everything said makes the situation make more sense to me. It's just that I'd hate to see the TS2 community die out like how TS1's sort of did. To me a community is an important factor for my games.
I still play TS1 though, as well TS2 and TS3. I'm a sims fanatic x3
Instructor
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:39 PM
Default Duuuude!
I thought I was the only one who remembered the old tabletop RPGs.

I still have the very first edition D&D books by Gygax and Arneson (1974). No, they are not for sale-I need them to berate my players with. The Angry Villager Rule is the DM's strategic deterrent.

From Simonut: Here is my take on if Sims 2 is losing popularity or not, If you offer or give a monkey a banana will he take it even if the banana is green or yellow ? Whatever new games EA put out there like the Sims3 some human somewhere will buy it.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nekonyami
Thanks for your responses guys. Everything said makes the situation make more sense to me. It's just that I'd hate to see the TS2 community die out like how TS1's sort of did. To me a community is an important factor for my games.

This community still improves my TS2 game in countless ways (through new cc, challenges, ideas, and knowledge of aspects of the game I'm still uninformed on). I'll be sad when the diehard fans move on, so I have an interest in how strong the TS2 community still is. Also, I'm hoping that the lingering interest among TS2 players is sending a message to EA about the ways in which TS3 fell short (so they can make TS4 a better, more option-filled game that I might actually want to play).

But is it losing popularity? Yes, of course. TS2 started losing popularity the moment TS3 was leaked and it will never return to its heyday.
Scholar
#10 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 5:00 PM
I could care less if it's popular, I've never been one to follow the trend. I would also continue to play if there was no community whatsoever, it is a bit more fun being able to share stories and so forth.

I do have a group of friends that get together and play board games. Our monthly game of Parchesi is a blood bath with a round lasting upwards of 2 hours, not that were competetive or anything. Old board games aren't even popular with the kids they are aimed at anymore, they really don't know what they are missing.
Banned
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 5:32 PM
TS3 is newer, and hardcore fans (not like me) will generally ignore the fact that it sucks and will pretend to like it just for the lulz.

Ether that or they just like it... (yeah right)

But to be honest I haven't noticed TS2 boards are less popular...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 5:36 PM
I suppose it's bound to lose popularity as long as there are no new official news about it. The community creates hype about every new release, and for now its TS3 that has new releases. It's like in celebrity system, you need publicity to maintain your famous status.
Retired
retired moderator
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 5:57 PM
Also, let's not forget that gradually (too slowly) TS3 is improving, which is tempting more people to upgrade to it (or downgrade, in the opinion of some).

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Mad Poster
#14 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 8:16 PM
You'd be surprised-from what I can see, TS3 is losing it's popularity, even with the new EP's coming out. Many players feel that they've been burned once too often to trust EA for anything better than what they've had.
A lot of them are returning to TS2, and it's not just a few. There are a lot of threads in the official forum that complain that TS3 is just not going to cut it, and that "our" game is far superior.
So as long as there are still content providers for this game, and players who love it to death, it won't lose its' popularity for those of us who play it.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 8:24 PM
I'll probably never go over to TS3, I really don't like the faces of the sims.

I don't know? I know a lot of cc has come out for the TS2 and of course people with TS3 will want custom content too, so its trying to be made even?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 8:37 PM
Yes, TS2 is losing popularity but not by a huge amount and it's not happening quickly. Anytime a new version of a game comes out, the previous version will get less attention purely because it's something new to try. If TS3 hadn't come out then TS2 would be just as popular as it ever was.

There are still loads of people who still play TS2, whether that's the only Sims game they play or if they also play TS3. As long as you like it, does it really matter whether people in general pay more attention to TS3?

Personally, I like TS2 and TS3. I don't know why some people think you can't like both (no one here has said that but there seems to be a general attitude that suggests this).

* When I talk about popularity here I'm referring to how much attention is paid to it by the Sims community, so uploads and downloads, threads on forums, that sort of thing.

Quote: Originally posted by TUN3R
TS3 is newer, and hardcore fans (not like me) will generally ignore the fact that it sucks and will pretend to like it just for the lulz.

Ether that or they just like it... (yeah right)

But to be honest I haven't noticed TS2 boards are less popular...
There we go, much more accurate. Can't have people making massive assumptions now, can we?!
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 10:29 PM
I've been a little sad to notice how quiet the sims 2 areas have gotten since the last time I used to read these forums too. I actually did get Sims 3 but it turned out that my computer shits itself over it and I need a new graphics card to make it playable, which just isn't going to happen since I'm at the mercy of my dad lol. But it did work well enough to let me get a feel of the gameplay and I honestly do prefer 2 so far.

Also, I feel a little too "invested" in my Sims 2 characters and custom neighborhood that I've built up from scratch to just transfer to the new game completely.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#18 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 10:55 PM Last edited by Simonut : 23rd Mar 2011 at 9:52 PM.
:lovestruc Thanks "Kneon Knight for the lovely compliment about my homes, I agree 100% percent about what you have said. Also "Fran H " I also agree 100% percent with what you have said.

Here is my take on if Sims 2 is losing popularity or not, If you offer or give a monkey a banana will he take it even if the banana is green or yellow ? Whatever new games EA put out there like the Sims3 some human somewhere will buy it.

This do not mean that just because something is new that it is good or more popular, all EA did was "RIP OFF" ideas from Sims 2 to add to their Sims 3 which until this very day and year 2011 Sims 3 have NOT out sold Sims 2 yet.

People are still buying expansions packs of sims 2 and adding to their game, I think Sims 2 have far more game play for it's players and far more superior than sims 3 ( for example NO BODY SHOP etc. ) also things that made Sims 2 so wonderful to play is taken out of Sims 3 there are very die hard fans of Sims 2 out there who will not give up on playing Sims 2 at all.

I myself would have added more expansions pack to my game after Seasons but I did not because I Did Not want EA SecuRom on my computer period, EA have said securom is not on Sims 3 but I am not going to take their word for it at all.

You would be surprise to know how many forums or sites who still play the Sims 2 not only that even on this site ModThe Sims there are creators who are still modding, making clothes, hair, and makeup and houses and other objects for sims 2 still.

Have Sims 2 lost it's popularity ? If you take a person out of the country side and transfer him or her to the city. You can NEVER take the country out of him or her, no matter what is new around them. Sims 2 "LIVE ON." :lovestruc Love it !

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Instructor
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:54 AM
[QUOTE=Simonut: Here is my take on if Sims 2 is losing popularity or not, If you offer or give a monkey a banana will he take it even if the banana is green or yellow ? Whatever new games EA put out there like the Sims3 some human somewhere will buy it.

QUOTE]

Absolutely priceless, and definitely going in my sig.

Test Subject
#20 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 1:29 AM
Not for a long time, it may be slowly starting, but there's too many people who currently dislike TS3 The difference was, when you started up and played TS2 for the first time, you were in love with it (I was, anyways) and that's why TS1 lost so much popularity so quickly, everyone loved TS2 and went to it. Right now I think the people who actually like TS3 are pretty much a minority in the TS community.

Eventually it's going to happen though, just like when Sims 4 releases, people will very slowly flock to that, soon enough TS2 could become what TS1 is nowadays. That's community wise, though. I know plenty of people who still play and love TS1, as for years to come people will play and love TS2 as well.

Only time I may be considering going to TS3 fully is when all the EPs are released and I can get them at a reasonable price. But even then, I doubt it, TS3 has this issue with lagging on "low" settings on a PCs with double the recc. requirements, combined with all the EPs..I'd be afraid of it destroying mine.
Not to mention all the flaws that I only hope they will fix with the EP releases.
Theorist
#21 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 3:35 AM
God I am so sick of all this hating on TS3! How many threads have there been about this? (WAY too many) no one gets to form an opinion for everybody so please stop trying to. There are many many people who prefer TS3 over TS2. I still like TS2 too but TS3 is simply way better overall imho, I can't stand coming to TS2 boards and every thread is about dissing TS3, it's a different game, it's not "The Sims 2 +", sometimes you just have to accept the change and then decide if you like it or not....

But yes TS2 is dying, there are already fewer and fewer creators and once the creators leave the entire S2 community will collapse. I give it maybe another yearish?

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#22 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
But yes TS2 is dying, there are already fewer and fewer creators and once the creators leave the entire S2 community will collapse. I give it maybe another yearish?

I actually think the TS2 community will last much longer than that. Livejournals/Dreamwidth? are flooded with sims fans that are still sharing CC for TS2 daily. Simscave shows updates from many different sites for TS2 too. And hey, people are still finding lost and found items in the game's database!

There are still TS1 websites and probably a small community for it too; and the game is over a decade old. Id expect another 4 years at least for TS2 as well. People are migrating back from TS3 too

And for the OP, its the same as when TS2 came out. People switched and left TS1 to collect dust for some time, although some will go back. This will continue once TS4 comes out, and so on and so on.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 4:17 AM
Well, I'm straight out for Sims 2. I don't have any interest or intent to play TS3. I aswell hope that the TS2 community doesn't die out.. I check the forums almost everyday for new topics or updates/replies on the topics already posted. I also try and download some good CC when I can, but I don't like filling my game with a tonne of it hah.

"When darkness falls hope is a concept broken with suffering."
Instructor
#24 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95

As someone who has only just started learning to actually mod for TS2, I am going to heartily disagree with you.

And of course you are going to see more people in the TS2 forum who aren't fans of TS3. I have tested it several times over the last year and a half, and I still don't see what all the fuss is about. It's certainly not worth the amount of money you need to invest to play it. Some of the behaviors are cooler, yes, and it's great that you can make people different heights and weights, but the gameplay style is just... too far from how I (and many other people) like to run the game. It hasn't brought out anything innovative in terms of EPs. Also, the vanilla sims are not very aesthetically pleasing, which, if you liked designing characters, is a major negative.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 4:34 AM Last edited by Kaospilot : 23rd Mar 2011 at 8:27 PM.
I think it's hilarious that there are people who feel so snobbish about a sims game that anyone who likes the opposite of them must be a sheep swallowing whatever is given to them, right?

Just to be clear, I mean that both ways
Locked thread | Locked by: mangaroo Reason: no ice cream for anyone
Page 1 of 3