Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Eminence Grise
#26 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 5:38 AM
Very encouraging :-) Custom quests, here we come!

In my experience with player mods for RPGs, quest mods are kinda rare, and good ones even rarer... you don't really need artistic talent, but you DO need to be able to write, and to have a feeling for narrative. Which opens the door to a whole different type of modder. Will be interesting to see what people come up with
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 8:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Very encouraging :-) Custom quests, here we come!

In my experience with player mods for RPGs, quest mods are kinda rare, and good ones even rarer... you don't really need artistic talent, but you DO need to be able to write, and to have a feeling for narrative. Which opens the door to a whole different type of modder. Will be interesting to see what people come up with

First option in this game would be to have a no tasks open ended quest who always vas selectable. Don't thing we know how easy it is to make new quests, how it to make new adventures in World travels? think this will be much the same.

Most wanted mod, a save anywhere mod.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#28 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 8:56 AM
There's apparently a sandbox quest you can access already.

From chat, yesterday:

Mar 23 16:06:18 <Rick> HystericalParoxysm: that sandbox quest shows up if you do ShowAllQuests, as "Free Time"
Mar 23 16:06:22 <Rick> it is a sandbox too
Mar 23 16:06:25 <Rick> and it has a switch sim button
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
rosiecheeks1980 - Transferring mods from one game to another isn't really something we're going to discuss here, as EA hasn't allowed such ports in the past and is unlikely to do so now. Thanks.

To all:

Please note this is not a requests thread. The game is -just- out and it is unclear what aspects will be moddable. If folks have mods to post (as Rick has done) they can do so here until/when/if/etc. MTS has a section for Medieval mods (whether we will or not will depend entirely on how moddable it is). This thread can also function as a discussion on modding techniques, links to tutorials, tips and info on modding, etc., until we decide whether or not we want to make a Medieval Modding Discussion forum. But again, no requests, please. Thanks.

I wasn't making a request...it was just a thought to discuss upon.
Banned
#30 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 9:45 AM
making your own custom quests loveley thats more fun for me.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
There's apparently a sandbox quest you can access already.

From chat, yesterday:

Mar 23 16:06:18 <Rick> HystericalParoxysm: that sandbox quest shows up if you do ShowAllQuests, as "Free Time"
Mar 23 16:06:22 <Rick> it is a sandbox too
Mar 23 16:06:25 <Rick> and it has a switch sim button

I hereby request a mod to have this enabled at all time.

:)
Scholar
#32 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 7:56 PM
*doesn't have the game yet*

Custom quests? Well now, if it's really possible, I can't program for a damn, but writing is something I am good at! I look forward to trying it out sometime. Once I get the game, of course.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 11:19 PM
How excactly do you make custom quests?
Theorist
#34 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 11:28 PM
I think I'm getting the game tonight (I gave into peer pressure, I blame you all!), I'll see what I can find out but this is very cool. Custom quests possible already? Rick do you have any idea how hard it is to actually code? (Because making a new quest is one thing but make it functional with objectives and stuff is harder). Did anyone try hair/clothes/objects yet? If you get errors from opening VYPXs then the bone structure is probably different (idk guess? From what I hear sims animate better meaning more bones most likely)

Pescados already working on Awesome

Hi I'm Paul!
Giblets for hire
Original Poster
#35 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 12:13 AM
Quests are mostly contained in a single datatable (xml-like structure), Crab Bandit as an example. It's complicated, but there's an overall structure there and it shouldn't be too hard to discern how to get things rolling.
Eminence Grise
#36 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 3:08 AM
Update on the pattern info above:

Some categories match between TS3 and TSM, others don't. Granthes posted a tut on how to change the category in a TS3 pattern to use it in TSM: http://sims3.the-prof.net/2011/03/c...-sims-medieval/ . Pretty simple

I may be the only person who's spending a lot of her TSM time redecorating, but in case there are any other patternaholics out there, the sky's the limit. Next up: clothes, objects, and sims Looking promising!
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 4:29 AM
I really wish there were a "Thank" or "Add Reputation" button enabled in the forum like in the download section, because there is so much thanking I want to do right now for what some of you have found <3 <3 <3!

- D.a.
Test Subject
#38 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 8:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I may be the only person who's spending a lot of her TSM time redecorating, but in case there are any other patternaholics out there, the sky's the limit. Next up: clothes, objects, and sims Looking promising!

Thats what i did... spent hours redecorating all the buildings. Then after you finish your first ambition, you have to start another NEW kingdom.... pissed me off.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#39 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 9:22 AM
Well, clothes are going to be a lot harder, Sri - in TS3, shoes are separate. In TSM, they're combined. The face mesh is also different, so I think the seam around the neck is going to be different as well. Additionally, sims won't be interchangeable from one game to another too (again, face mesh different, sliders WAY different).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#40 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 12:41 PM
Is there gonna be any way to fix the annoyingness and awkwardness of the camera inside buildings?

I really hope they make an EP in the future that makes buildings more customizable. And I want kids that can grow up. I was ticked that my monarch's kid couldn't take over for her when she died.... the "heir" quest was entirely pointless.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Le Carrera
Is there gonna be any way to fix the annoyingness and awkwardness of the camera inside buildings?

I really hope they make an EP in the future that makes buildings more customizable. And I want kids that can grow up. I was ticked that my monarch's kid couldn't take over for her when she died.... the "heir" quest was entirely pointless.

Same here... I feel like this aspect of the game has gone back to the Sims 1, when babies were born, grown into children and remained children forever. Gah.
Test Subject
#42 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 6:54 PM
Do you think it would be possible to create the NPCs that wander around (not play as them, just design and name them)? I'm very tempted to buy TSM, but there are a couple of small changes I'd really like to see first, mainly being able to make NPCs and to temporarily switch off quests (which either already seems possible or near).

Also, do you happen to know if there are any sites where previews of all of the hairstyles and clothing choices can be seen? Thanks very much!
Test Subject
#43 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 12:28 AM Last edited by tauer : 26th Mar 2011 at 12:42 AM.
Where are we on Sims 2/3 hair conversions? I'm a little dissapointed in the lack of hair styles
Test Subject
#44 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tauer
Where are we on Sims 2/3 hair conversions? I'm a little dissapointed in the lack of hair styles

Oh I agree with the questions about the hair~ We need more hair just were are we with it?
Theorist
#45 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 2:48 AM
No where yet! :P

Shouldn't be too difficult though.

Hi I'm Paul!
Instructor
#46 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 6:24 AM
Some good news
Quote: Originally posted by SnowS
Do you think it would be possible to create the NPCs that wander around (not play as them, just design and name them)? ...

Agreed. This would be an incredible cheat/mod/hack! I tried testingcheats but you have pretty limited options with it and no CAS availible. I did notice you can change a character's profession though...

On the above topic, you can "Plan Outfit" for anyone in your building which comes in handy. Mix that with "disableclothingfilter" and you can make some characters much more interesting.

I'd REALLY like to be able to change my sim's sleepware too. Some of them are really unsightly and annoying to look at.

Regarding the hair, I think there is actually a decent selection, more then TS2/TS3 by default (no addons or mods). However, I think we get so spoiled with so many additions we just need more, more, more. Can't wait for some people to start adding more stuff.

Lab Assistant
#47 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 7:47 AM
I have been playingaround with some of my downloaded hair from sims3 and they show but only for NPC when i use the plan another sims outfit....Although my Peteran priest has a CC hair when sleeping they do show but some of them cause the eyes to be eirther red or white....Its kinda hit and miss have tried a few diffrent hairs...soo it is possable also I tried a non default skin and it show but the face was messed up. The faces are diffrent...But CC skins can be a possablity
One thing I would love to be able to do is change the outfits of children.........
Test Subject
#48 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 8:06 AM
I would not expect a lot for this game. Yeah, it's based on the Sims 3 engine, but severely scaled back. After all, it's The Sims Medieval, NOT the Sims 3 Play Medieval. It's the same as Castaway Stories was, a completely separate entity. I would suspect all we'll get, if anything from Maxis would be some other civilizations, perhaps something like Moguls, or Romans, Egyptians, or along those lines.
Giblets for hire
Original Poster
#49 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 9:17 AM
Debug enabler now in OP. I have not tested it further than checking if the game loads OK and that the debug commands are there, you have been warned.
Eminence Grise
#50 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 10:50 AM
I believe the issue for hair is that there's a filter for each of the heroes... different classes see different outfits. Townsfolk, on the other hand, are unfiltered. So you'd just have to set the filter data using S3PE to make your hairs visible to heroes as well as NPCs, possibly something like the procedure I linked above for setting pattern categories. The issue with clothes is probably more complicated, though, because of the mismatch in clothing slots.

One thing I found out about patterns, btw: it had been bothering me that you could only set colors, but not patterns, in CAS... but then I noticed that any patterns you have saved as Favorites DO show up in CAS, and can be applied to clothing The TS3 functionality is in there, it's just (kinda) hidden.

So save some faves if you want to pattern as well as color your sims' clothes. Until somebody figures out how to unlock the full CaST in CAS
Page 2 of 24