Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 11:11 PM
Default I hope this isn't true ...
Sorry if this has already been posted here but I really hope this isn't true about after finishing the 'New Beginnings' Ambition

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/6043...dieval/58571643
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 11:12 PM
yes it's true
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 11:39 PM
S... seriously?

If this is actually true... Goddammit, EA...

Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 11:46 PM
Yeah its true if you want to continue playing a single kingdom i'd suggest doing what i did. Turn on cheats and set your QP to 999,999 then you can quest and play as much as you like.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 11:57 PM
*sigh* it is true. WTF? Why can't we get a new goal without having to do everything all over again? Oh well. LFox, I think I am going to give your idea a try. :P
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 12:55 AM
wait by "you have to start all over" does it delete your New Beginnings game? or do you get to keep your old ones and add onto your saved games?

Perry the Platypus
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 12:56 AM
I would just like to point out that when I finished with my first kingdom I DID get the option to continue free playing with that kingdom. (Note that this might be because I have testingcheatsenabled turned on. Pretty sure you get this option no matter what though.)

You CAN continue to play with your older games, but if you want to start a new ambition and keep doing quests you do have to start over. Same kingdom, different townies, just in the same roles.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 1:02 AM
Your New Beginnings game isn't deleted. It is a separate save from your next Ambition/Kingdom. Nothing is added onto your New Beginnings Kingdom. You can continue to free play, but I found it rather pointless. You can't gain anymore experience or get any achievements in free play.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 2:37 AM
....Now I regret buying the game...
Field Researcher
#10 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 2:44 AM
no! this game was so awesome but this is going to destroy my love for it!

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Test Subject
#11 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 2:56 AM
Yep it's true. You get a little bit of content unlocked after completing it, then you start all over again from scratch, doing the same quests. I was so annoyed when I found that out. Now I'm just powering through the rest of the ambitions with cheats to unlock the rest of the content, and then replaying my old saved game freestyle.
Test Subject
#12 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 3:09 AM
After having all the other sims games in th past this one is just one BIG dissapointment. :{
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AnticsEnsue
Yep it's true. You get a little bit of content unlocked after completing it, then you start all over again from scratch, doing the same quests. I was so annoyed when I found that out. Now I'm just powering through the rest of the ambitions with cheats to unlock the rest of the content, and then replaying my old saved game freestyle.

I'm doing the same thing haha
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 5:21 AM
Yes it's true, but here is what people are forgetting... THIS IS A BASE GAME. After the sims 2 and all the expansion packs, didn't the Sims 3 base game seem a little bland? Look at what happened after just a few expansion packs, it's become a lot more fun, and they've added a lot of cool aspects to it. I'm sure that EA will do a lot with the sims medieval because it's a game that they were really excited to make. I'm sure they're just as thrilled about the all the good reviews and are excited to expand the game. If you're finding that the game is missing a few things, don't worry, i'm sure it's only because EA left room to make expansions (and milk up for more money lol.)

Because we don't currently have any expansion packs, remember this: Yes it's all the same quests, but there are different approaches to each one, and on top of that, for each ambition you have to plan what quests you play strategically. If you're playing the imperial domination one, you have to keep in mind that you need to complete all of the quests that annex territories, and you also need to be able to have enough RP to add every one as an ally, and enough money to buy the maps to the hidden territories. It's not as simple and mundane as some of you are making it sound.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 6:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LFox
Yeah its true if you want to continue playing a single kingdom i'd suggest doing what i did. Turn on cheats and set your QP to 999,999 then you can quest and play as much as you like.

What cheat do you use exactly? I have testing cheats enabled. I have

I read on the Mods thread that we can create custom quests. Rick has already done one here

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Test Subject
#16 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 7:13 AM
If you look over the ambitions you'll realize why you need a new kingdom each time, their just designed that way. Still i myself was disappointed with how it works until i saw the cheat for adjusting quest points. Now i don't care since i'm busy leveling heros, crafting and questing.

Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
What cheat do you use exactly? I have testing cheats enabled. I have

I read on the Mods thread that we can create custom quests. Rick has already done one here

Just the cheat "setqp" without the quotes. As i said i set it to an absurd number so now i don't have to worry about running out of quest points.

If you want to actually free play and not use the free play quest which disables all the fun stuff. I would suggest using the fisherman's contest quest. It works for ALL heros and if you ignore the quest entirely you'll probably have several sim days worth of play time before the quest status gets so low it fails you.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 8:52 AM
Default Territory Maps
Has anyone clicked on the territory map to make allies? You get few more quests that way. I was very disappointed that you can't actually go to those territories, or actually go sailing using the maps you can buy from the village store. I really hope EA is going to add EP's or expand on the game somehow. I love the music and the costumes but without more quests and places to build new kingdoms the game will get old and boring fast. I'm trying to look at the half full kingdom instead of a half empty one.

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:47 AM
I finished my first Ambition today, and took my Knight sim (who had overcome her Fatal Flaw) to be the next Monarch. Yeah, it's the same kingdom... funny to see her sail away in search of a "new land", only to arrive at the same place but emptied However, I think it's gonna be a loooong time before I have to repeat quests, bearing in mind that different "approaches" to the same quest are really different quests. If you build and add heroes in a different order, you've gonna be seeing different quests and approaches pop up. (And there are cheats that reroll your quest choices or let you choose among ALL the quests.)

Not saying the gameplay within the quests isn't repetitive, because it is Even with different quests you'll be doing a lot of the same THINGS over and over, but that's the way this game is.

However, this time I took the Foreign Expansion ambition... which should be interesting, because I didn't dabble in this part of the gameplay at all the first time through... didn't even really understand about annexing kingdoms. So it's a different kind of challenge. And as mentioned above, expanding involves its own set of quests.

*shrug* Yes, it would be a lot better if there were more than one kingdom :/ One per ambition would be great. But I think you can play for awhile before you have to do a quest twice.
Instructor
#19 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 11:50 AM
I finished the first Ambition at platinum, and I got dissapointed when I realised you wont get any extra points for that achievment. ( I was expecting, I belive, to get som RP or bonus from the first ambition in to the next ). I dont really feel motivated to start a new kingdom with just 50 RP and no buildings, knowing I have to do this over and over again... I like the strategic part of the game, but it seems the only thing you can level up is the "Watcher". This could have been done differently, EA!

Now this game suddenly reminds me of some Facebook-gaming where you just click endlessly for no real reason...
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 12:07 PM
After I finished New Beginnings I decided to do No Quest for the Weary. I lost motivation rather quickly after doing a couple of quests. It hadn't been long enough for me to forget the quests and I just ended up speeding through everything and not even reading the quests anymore. I didn't have to, since I remembered everything. What also kind of irks me is that I already did some of the so called ambitions in my New Beginnings play through, but obviously they don't count.

Guess I'm already bored. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Wish it didn't cost so much, though.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bitch2233
Yes it's true, but here is what people are forgetting... THIS IS A BASE GAME. After the sims 2 and all the expansion packs, didn't the Sims 3 base game seem a little bland? Look at what happened after just a few expansion packs, it's become a lot more fun, and they've added a lot of cool aspects to it. I'm sure that EA will do a lot with the sims medieval because it's a game that they were really excited to make. I'm sure they're just as thrilled about the all the good reviews and are excited to expand the game. If you're finding that the game is missing a few things, don't worry, i'm sure it's only because EA left room to make expansions (and milk up for more money lol.)

Because we don't currently have any expansion packs, remember this: Yes it's all the same quests, but there are different approaches to each one, and on top of that, for each ambition you have to plan what quests you play strategically. If you're playing the imperial domination one, you have to keep in mind that you need to complete all of the quests that annex territories, and you also need to be able to have enough RP to add every one as an ally, and enough money to buy the maps to the hidden territories. It's not as simple and mundane as some of you are making it sound.

I'm not angry about that. it's more of the fact that i lose everything i worked so hard for when i have to move on to a new ambition. free time quest, here i come!

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 9:01 PM
Oh shit.

We are the Felegands. We will kick your ass.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 9:21 PM
This is so horribly sad. I did not know this is how the game works - if I had I would NEVER have bought it... I'm going to finish "New Beginnings" and see if cheats can bring some kind of silver lining.
But now I'm mostly longing for Sims 3 Generations to make me happy again!

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
Instructor
#24 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:02 PM
This is what I did:
I saved all the heroes I created in the first ambition, and started my new ambition by using the "placeallbuildings"-cheat and then putting back my heroes one by one. Cheated again- now to level up my heroes to the level they had at the end of the first ambition by unlocking all the quests, use "Free Time",and switch between them. Again cheating, to recreate the most important relationsships they had (best friends, and so) by "Game over".
I guess I know recreated the scene I left behind more or less.
Weird game, this.
:D
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:27 PM
I was a bit disappointed as well. But I took it as a challenge and did the following: In my "New Beginning" some of my heoes had children (most of them born by unmarried NPC-townswomen, but well, such is medieval life when you're the king or a rich merchant ) One heroes alone has 4 sons. They gave me the idea to start a new kingdom in conquer mode with them as heroes.
I copied the traits they had in the old game as children and converted their looks to my new aduld heroes. And I had in mind who their parents were, so the eldest son of my old king became the new king, the others took professions suitable for nobles such as knight and "diplomat" = spy. My doctor's daughter became a bard due to her being fun-loving and licentious jokester.
8 of the heroes in my new kingdom are the sons and daughters of heores in the old kingdom, and it brings some kind of an oldschool-RPG feeling where many of the character's stats and traits are rolled rather than picked, which makes some quests quite a challenge. For example, I found it a bit difficult to convince my misanthropic and bloodthirsty king not to fight his royal suite all the time!
Page 1 of 2