Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 8:21 PM
Default Sim Stuck - Can't resetsim without name [Sims Medieval]
My merchant sim in The Sims Medieval is stuck in the forest. I can see the character, but can't click on it. I have tried quitting and re-loading the game, but now two "go to pulpit" actions are in the queue (can't be removed). I have the debugenabler installed, but can't use resetsim without knowing the full name. Hovering over the portrait and the info in the sim panel just gives "Trader <FirstName>", and I don't remember what the last name was.

Is there any way to go about finding this or otherwise getting the sim unstuck? I'd even deal with having to start over with the merchant Sim if that could happen.

(Wasn't sure if this should go in technical help since there isn't a category for this game.)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 6:07 AM
bumping for help since I just ran across this as well (same exact scenario) I know his name but resetsim is not working for me
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 6:22 AM
Did you save your sim when you created them? If so go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims Medieval/Saved Sims. You should be able to see their last names there.

Hope that helps, other than that I'm not that technical so I couldn't help

Edit: My suggestion was for the OP I guess
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 4:07 PM
I didn't save that particular sim, no. =\ Thanks for the reply, though.

Any other suggestions?
Test Subject
#5 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orca239
I didn't save that particular sim, no. =\ Thanks for the reply, though.

Any other suggestions?

Tried to shift click - force reset them? (You might need another sim selected to do that.)
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 8:32 PM
My monarch got stuck in labour. She stood next to her bed for 25 hours before I gave up. I couldn't get her to do anything and it said resetsim was an unknown command, no matter what name or combination I tried. ):
I do have testingcheats enabled. Otherwise she might have starved and/or passed out sooner.
I didn't try any shift-clicking or "resetsim *" or cancelling her "have baby" action and maybe I should have let her pass out. I dunno. :/

Anybody figure anything out?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 12:19 AM
It's happened something like that to me also: when in a quest with my blacksmith i've found that magician and merchant were stuck. I didn't patched the game, so i patched hoping for some help and the two were recovered.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 2:49 AM
I had a sim stuck in labour too, the only thing she could do was walk to another spot in her bedroom. Somehow, this unstuck her an the birth finally took place. Don't know what might help when they can't even walk, though. Next time it occurs I'll try putting her somewhere else with moveobjects on.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 3:44 AM
The stuck character is un-clickable. It always thinks I'm trying to click the forest.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 4:00 AM
Have you tried calling the merchant over with another sim who is seated somewhere? It makes the target sim drop all actions immediately, maybe this could help.
Test Subject
#11 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 5:45 AM
Two things, to find the what you named you sim, go to quest mode and re click the quest, and hover over the selected sim, there full name will appear as for the stuck thing, if you are in single hero mode you can not call a sim to another place with another sim, it just doesn't work.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 6:08 AM
In S3 you could use the command "resetsim *". It resets all Sims in the current game. I haven't tried it because I don't have any Sims stuck, but it might be worth a try.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
There is no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else.
Instructor
#13 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 1:21 PM
Have you tried moveobjects to move your physically stuck sims to another location? Using the moveobjects cheat will require you to enable the testingcheats, however, and you can reset your sims using the testing cheats as well. Info on how to do this can be found in many threads. Good luck!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 4:00 AM Last edited by thepantherprincess : 4th Apr 2011 at 3:42 AM.
Again, stuck in labour. This time it's my wizard. I've shift-clicked and tried forcing a reset. Several times. She can walk a few steps and then the have baby action pops back into her queue. I tried moving her with moveobjects. I moved her downstairs and I moved her just outside, as far as I could.

Surely having testingcheats enabled isn't affecting pregnancy at all. Is there some kind of prerequisite quest you have to do before you can have babies?

I really, really need some kind of fix for this. My monarch has gone flat black and is still stuck. She won't pass out, she won't starve to death. It just keeps resetting the starving debuff. I need to talk to her for a quest but I can't do anything. The action just drops from my queue.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orca239
The stuck character is un-clickable. It always thinks I'm trying to click the forest.

I just had this same problem. The cure I found was going to the other side of the Sim. So I was looking at her from deeper in the forest and I was able to click on her and force reset with a shift click and testingcheatsenabled.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
There is no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else.
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 1:54 PM
Default Solution to problem
To enable testing cheats and reset you sim, thus getting them unstuck from wherever they are (in my case it was the merchant in the forest), you have do edit a game file, it is no longer done through the cheats command prompt (crtl, shift, c).

Here are the instruction to enable testing cheats:

1. Go to you game installation folder and into the following folder
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini

2. Open Commands.Ini with notepad or another text editor and change the following
TestingCheatsEnabled=0 to TestingCheatsEnabled=1 then save the file. If you can't get the file to safe due to access permissions. Save in another location such as my documents then copy the new file over, replacing the old one.

3. Start your game, hold down shift and click on your stuck sim. Click Object, Then click Force Reset. Your sim will now still be in the same place but when you tell them to do something they can actually move.

That's it.
Good luck and have fun.
Instructor
#17 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 1:58 PM Last edited by alexpilgrim : 13th Apr 2011 at 2:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by matty1985aus
1. Go to you game installation folder and into the following folder
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini

You can also download the "testing cheats enabled " mod here and place it in your Packages folder, it does the same thing.

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 30th Apr 2011 at 2:23 AM
My blacksmith was stuck at the forge and I couldn't get her unstuck with testingcheats enabled until I did Shiftclick/object/force reset. Worked like a charm. Thanks!
Test Subject
#19 Old 1st May 2011 at 5:56 PM
Thank you! My Monarch was stuck in the castle in one position and this worked great.

For stories inspired by sims, visit Wayward Ink today!
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Dec 2011 at 5:00 PM
Thanks for this, my constable is stuck and I hadn't been able to finish the pit beast quest
Test Subject
#21 Old 22nd Dec 2011 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crazydarling2k6
Thanks for this, my constable is stuck and I hadn't been able to finish the pit beast quest

Yeah you have to use your Sim's REAL name, not their character name in the game. If you forgot what you named them, then do as the others have suggested and go back into CAS on the Basics tab and you'll see their given name. Then do the resetsim REAL NAME and it should work fine.
Test Subject
#22 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 3:20 AM
Default Help!!!
I've tried all of the above options and have had no luck at all!! I cannot access the last name of my merchant anywhere that I've looked (and believe me I've been trying), nor will it allow me to click on my merchant not matter the angle my camera is at. I've gone into the folder and set the Testing Cheats to =1 and still no change in the programming even when reset, saved and restarted. Is there anything else that I've missed that might help me out here?
Test Subject
#23 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 4:51 PM
I have the same problem but I can't access force reset. I've got testingcheatsenabled on and it lets me modify things like traits but I can't get object/reset sim. Can anyone help?
Scholar
#24 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadowsheartbreak
I've tried all of the above options and have had no luck at all!! I cannot access the last name of my merchant anywhere that I've looked (and believe me I've been trying), nor will it allow me to click on my merchant not matter the angle my camera is at. I've gone into the folder and set the Testing Cheats to =1 and still no change in the programming even when reset, saved and restarted. Is there anything else that I've missed that might help me out here?

You can get the merchant's last name if you have Grim's core, if you can't click on your merchant then use your merchant to click on any other sim and then click genealogy, and it will tell you your merchant's relationship to that sim, and give both sims first and second names. It will still work if you have no relationship with the other sim, as it will tell you they're not related while naming them both.
Hope this helps.
Instructor
#25 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 12:50 AM
download Shimrod's more map tags, download Grimreefer's core mod, enable debug options, click on the map tag over the problematic sim, make hero selectable, force reset via shift left click. it clears the action cue eventually.

alternatively, you can go into edit in CAS and see the name.