Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Giblets for hire
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 1:35 PM Last edited by Rick : 30th Mar 2011 at 5:53 PM.
Mod bugfix: Spell Rune Combinations
This mod changes some spells to use different rune combinations so there are no duplicate rune combinations for any spells. This mod will likely be invalidated when a patch is released to fix this issue.

spellfix.zip

Extract to your game install directory (ie, C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\). If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may need to extract to another location, then copy the extracted files to get around UAC issues. Here are better instructions, just pretend anything that says The Sims 3 is The Sims Medieval.

Note that any in-game text that references the runes of the spells that have been changed has not been updated.

Here are the changed spell rune combinations:
(I tried to keep all of the rune combinations thematic where possible)

For comparison, here are all of the original spell rune combinations:
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 5:22 PM
omg thank you so much for this!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 3:01 AM
Thank you, Rick! It's sweet of you to make your expertise available to the community.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Scholar
#4 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 3:05 AM
Thanks for this Rick! Your mods work brilliantly :D; you truly are great to help out the community this way...

...Titanium white...
Test Subject
#5 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 3:14 AM
Thank you so much.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 8:21 PM
Since Rick says, "Note that any in-game text that references the runes of the spells that have been changed has not been updated," you'll want to have a list of the changed version of the spells with you when you play the game. Rick has included such a list in his post, but I thought a downloadable list might be helpful. I've sorted his list into columns, to make it easier to see the differences between the old and new spells.

Here's what it looks like:

The list is in rich text format; view it in Wordpad. It's zipped, below; you'll need to unzip it, of course. (It's not actually big enough to need zipping, but rtf isn't one of the allowable file formats.)

Thanks again, Rick, for making this bugfix!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Sims Medieval Wizard Spells when using Rick's bugfix.zip (1.0 KB, 794 downloads) - View custom content

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Field Researcher
#7 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 1:01 AM
Thanks again Rick! And Thanks for the nice neat list Corylea

Burn The midnight oil, it will be daylight soon...
Test Subject
#8 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 5:32 PM
none of the 'original' rune combos work at all, i tried them all, I really want all those skills :/
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 5:34 PM
and the link doesnt work aswell :/
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smilies221
and the link doesnt work aswell :/

I just tried it, and the link works fine for me. You might want to try again.

Test Subject
#11 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 3:28 PM Last edited by mangaroo : 2nd Apr 2011 at 4:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
I just tried it, and the link works fine for me. You might want to try again.

ive tried, it goes to blank page, or try gib.com, or something like that, idk, maybe its my security or something idk :/ i want it! lol

his Spellfix.zip doesnt work
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 8:30 PM
Thank you for the fix!
Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 10:12 PM
It worked for me, just took longer than normally to start.
Instructor
#14 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 3:51 PM
Well, my wizard keeps failing to prepare spells. All of the ones that succeed are a few of the unchanged ones. I'll not sure if it's the mod or the sim herself. Has anyone had the same problem?

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 3:44 PM
can any of you answer, why i cant prepare ANY of these spells? do you have to unlock through quest?? cos i did a quest about mind control but didnt get the spell :/
Test Subject
#16 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 5:20 AM
Has anyone got this mod to work? I cannot prepare ANY of these spells except those all ready unlocked at level 10?
I do have other mods and they do work so yes it is in the right directory and I do have my resource.cfg file...
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 8:57 AM
Hello and thank you for doing this - here is a silly question - how come I can only memorise a few spells - then the next day it says that he/she needs to remember 2 spells and he/she is already at their quota - do I have to unlearn the spells just to learn the new ones? This is annoying and it should be that they can keep all spells learnt remembered to grow in their skill - thanks
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by silvertora
Hello and thank you for doing this - here is a silly question - how come I can only memorise a few spells - then the next day it says that he/she needs to remember 2 spells and he/she is already at their quota - do I have to unlearn the spells just to learn the new ones? This is annoying and it should be that they can keep all spells learnt remembered to grow in their skill - thanks

Yes, you have to forget em.

Silly maybe, but the whole idea that you can only memorize a certain number of spells at a time has a long history in fantasy gaming. It's kinda how spells in old versions of Dungeons and Dragons worked :-)
Scholar
#19 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 12:08 PM
Mmm, actually, only wizards can technically "know" unlimited spells (unless they chosen a specific school, then they are restricted) in 3.5. But the sorcerer and similar classes are limited in how many they can know (usually based on caster level and ability score) and the idea of limitation is still seen up to 4th edition! Though, in 4th edition, the way it works is very different.

And then I reread and realize, oh wait, memorization (and feel stupid for the mistake). But, in 3.5, wizards can only memorize a certain amount, and in 4th, like I said, it works things differently. Sorcerers on the other hand can only cast so many a day, but wizards specifically memorize their spells.

/off-topicness

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Apr 2011 at 3:38 AM
Why does my wizard only know some spells? She's at level 10 so shouldn't she have all those spells available for memorizing? Not very many of the spells on that list are available to my wizard. Why does she only have some of them in the list? Is there a quest or something that makes the other ones available? And she can never cast 'ghostly music'. I don't even know why she has that one. It's always grayed out when she's going to cast a spell.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Apr 2011 at 3:53 AM
A lot of the spells that are in the lists up top are Clone spells, clones of the other ones. There are for example 2 clones of the Flare spell, but you can only learn and use the Flare spell under normal circumstances, not the other two. All the others are used I believe during quests, and you learn them during the quest I presume. There are 15 spells you can learn normally IIRC.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#22 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 2:17 AM
Hi I stumbled across this thread in searching for a solution to this problem. I downloaded the mod but I don't think I have it in the right location in my files, since nothing has changed. I have windows 7 so I did extract the file to another location and then copy it into the C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\ but nothing is happening? I'm kind of new to doing anything out of the ordinary for Sims Medieval although I used to for Sims 2 and the original Sims. Thanks so much!
btw, I did try to follow the link to the better instructions and not really sure where I'm supposed to go, it dumps me elsewhere.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 11:21 AM
The thread which is stickied up top titled How To Mod Your Game For Beginners has all the skivvy on installing mods.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#24 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 4:30 PM Last edited by KittyB8099 : 12th Jun 2011 at 4:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
The thread which is stickied up top titled How To Mod Your Game For Beginners has all the skivvy on installing mods.

I did read that and followed the instructions and it's still not working for me. I didn't know if Windows 7 does something different. I guess maybe I will have to kill off my wizard which is really really upsetting, but I need this quest to complete dominition and the mod just isn't changing anything for me.

Edit: I just tried one more thing, apparently the resource file was in the wrong spot (due to the copying procedure for windows 7) I tried moving it and it works now! Thanks so much for the mod!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyB8099
Hi I stumbled across this thread in searching for a solution to this problem. I downloaded the mod but I don't think I have it in the right location in my files, since nothing has changed. I have windows 7 so I did extract the file to another location and then copy it into the C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\ but nothing is happening? I'm kind of new to doing anything out of the ordinary for Sims Medieval although I used to for Sims 2 and the original Sims. Thanks so much!
btw, I did try to follow the link to the better instructions and not really sure where I'm supposed to go, it dumps me elsewhere.

KittyB8099 - You need to place the .package file in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Mods\Packages. You will have to create the Mods folder as a subfolder of The Sims Medival folder and then create the subfolder, Packages, in the Mods folder, if you haven't already do so.

Please don't destroy your Wizard! It's just a matter of correctly placing the file!
Page 1 of 2