Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 8:40 AM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 21st Jul 2011 at 10:30 PM.
Dark Wizard's Guide: How to Multi-class Sims

The Dark Wizards Summoning the Servant of the Enemy

In the Wizard Tower and Queen's Court meet the Dark Wizards... A brotherhood of thieving, marauding wizards dressed in ruddy spy cowls and long robes. These sims can challenge to duels or spar with swords, threaten for money, pickpocket, craft Spy and Wizard items, research hidden lore, meditate, scry, study and cast spells!

These are playable heroes created using TestingCheats. Below are specific instructions for easily arriving at this one example of multiclassing in TSM. Serendipitously, this started simply because I liked the spy hood as clothing, but since it is unavailable to other classes (wizard, who's hat sucks) even with DisableClothingCheats--I had to get creative. When that happens, things usually become a permanent part of my game and the stories therein.

In Part A: It's best to change a NPC from the village area, so that you don't mess up pre-existing housing assignments for a specific Hero sim in relation to his original profession. You can then add the new hero to any household with TestingCheats, Add to Active Family.

In Part B: After all the rigmarole, this method works well with the many potential multiclass combinations. Play-testers posting below yielded great results. I have added Apepis's awesome post to this Guide as Part B, which largely sums up our testing discoveries--which were pleasantly comfirmed by asrul and Enjoji throughout.

In Part C: Use optional commands and access additional mods for added enhancements to your heroes.

Always, always backup your save games, of course, just in case you jack things up...

Introduction - Part A > How to create Dark Wizards:

1. Enable TestingCheats as described in this post or posted here (pre-made).
2. Start actual game-play. (Enter a quest).
3. Find a NON-HERO male NPC sim (some dork that appears on-screen, like a worthless farmer type) to change into a new Hero.
* Do not decide on a NPC with a special role, such as a builder, servant, town crier, jester, or whatever, unless you specifically want to cause oddities. Do not change your preexisting hero either.
4. Shift + right click on said test-subject NPC to add him to the sim spindle at left and get the plumbob active over him.
5. Once you have the NPC active, shift + left click on him, click Set Profession on sim, click Turn sim into a Spy. (This normally gives him Spy gear on-screen; if not you can add it in CAS by using a clothing chest).
6. Now again, shift + left click, click Set Profession, click Turn sim into a Wizard. (Here there is usually no visible change on-screen).
7. Shift + left click, click Set Profession Level on sim, click Make sim level 01. (This step 7. may not be necessary, but may prevent glitches). If you want to increase levels go one at a time, ie: 01, 02, 03, etc. Again, seems logical.
8. Edit sim with a clothing dresser, get one from buy mode if none are nearby, click Plan Outfit; in CAS set sim to a Wizardy robe, also match color of Spy hood to robe...
9. Adjust facial hair... save sim.

Conclusion - Part B > Apepis's Heroes Only Workaround:

To safely multiclass one of your main heroes. It's really simple.

1. Start a quest. Take one of your heroes, (except Monarch, nor either one of the Priests).
2. With testingcheats enabled, Shift-left click on hero. Add a profession of your choice.
3. Then - repeat the step above, but adding hero's original profession this time (if you were a Wizard turned Spy, turn Wizard again).

This guarantees the game will remember your hero, he stays assigned to the proper building, can cast all spells he should be able to cast, can do the right responsibilities, etc.. In one word - the hero remains playable.

At the same time, most of the abilities from the second profession remain with him. There is a risk, however, that professional activities that can be failed will not trigger correctly - like, for example, pickpocketing (my wizard-spy-wizard has such option in the dialogs, can perform the animations but earns no gold on success). Also, all the abilities triggered on objects will likely not trigger. For example, my wizard-bard-wizard can play lute, gather inspiration, etc., but he can't write poems and plays on the archive.

Reloading the game, however, doesn't cause any additional issues. It seems that TSM remembers your choice of professions and uses the last one you set as the default.

So, happy multiclassing everyone. --Apepis

Suggested Additions - Part C > Wonders and Mysteries:

1. Super Optional: Use Treeag's CAS to further adjust new hero's appearance and traits.
2. Super-duper Optional: To futher customize new Heroes, use TheHologramMan's Dynamic Professions. DP1.3 is an excellent aid to multi-classing (which you will already understand due to the tutorial you've just read). This mod includes CAS and will for example allow creation of the often requested Wizard-King, or a Monarch>Wizard>Monarch.
-----

The Dark Adepts sword fighting in the Magus Wizard's Tower in my kingdom of Argosia. Clickity. --Regards, 99
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:01 AM
*wags finger* Nope. Nope, nope.

Been there, done that. It lasts exactly until you reload your game. Plus, multiple heroes of the same profession will mess up your game, so don't do it. Seriously.

Okay, that was a little vague. Let me elaborate on the bugginess:

Wizards won't be able to cast spells after a reload of the game, likely tied to the sword in their inventory. TSM can't handle a Sim equip sword+staff at the same time and disables the wizard actions. Everything seems to work initially but it really doesn't, believe me. I was so excited I ruined my wizard character with this when I found this out, being all "yay, she can finally use a sword and defend herself against muggers and be all cool". There was no way to ever get rid of that sword in her inventory again as spies/knights are required to have one equipped at all times. Go figure.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:07 AM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 4th Apr 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rockerduck
*wags finger* Nope. Nope, nope.

Been there, done that. It lasts exactly until you reload your game. Plus, multiple heroes of the same profession will mess up your game, so don't do it. Seriously.

Reload? What are you talking about? Reinstall?
I've been playing Multiples of Same profession for days... no bugs.. It's fun. So, please, stop trolling... let people have their modded fun...

EDIT: I haven't ruined my main Wizard character at all, he lives in the tower, these gentlemen visit him as friends--They're the Dark Cabal. Nor have I ruined my main Spy, she lives in the Spy Chamber.... Besides, If I do have a problem with the new Hero, I kill the offender with my Queen by Duel to Death. Thanks Rocker.
Instructor
#4 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmodder99
Reload? What are you talking about? Reinstall?
I've been playing Multiples of Same profession for days... no bugs.. It's fun. So, please, stop trolling... let people have their modded fun...

I was talking about loading a game (sorry if that was confusing). It didn't work for me, see edited post above. Another really big problem with multiples of same profession is the fact that TSM unassigns the wizard's tower (for example) and pretends you need a new wizard if one of your multiple wizard dies, even if you still have a bunch. :/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:22 AM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 4th Apr 2011 at 10:42 AM.
I was talking about loading a game (sorry if that was confusing). It didn't work for me, see edited post above. Another really big problem with multiples of same profession is the fact that TSM unassigns the wizard's tower (for example) and pretends you need a new wizard if one of your multiple wizard dies, even if you still have a bunch. :/

Sounds like nonsense to me; Again I have not had these problems you assign to fact... Spells and Swords together are great. Also, no problems with Wizard tower or Spy tower, even after an awesome death. (The queen has killed many of their brothers during their attempt to infiltrate her throne.) I do enjoy your two cents, discouragement, and blandishment...
Always backup your save games, of course, just in case you jack things up...
Instructor
#6 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmodder99
Again I have not had these problems you assign to fact... even at their deaths.

Seems you lucked out then! TSM pretended I needed a new wizard after one of mine had died, and I couldn't start a new quest until I created one. *shrugs*
Okay, so this doesn't seem to happen to everyone, apparently. Still, I've come across very nasty bugs so my heads up remains. :P

Edit: Oh so it's nonsense now because you haven't had those problems? Guess what, I don't share your gaming experience so your description is obviously nonsense, too. Pot and kettle, much? ;-)
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:43 AM
I have been "multi-classing" my heroes as well and so far havent had any issues.
The only downside is, there's only so much you can "multi-class" your heroes.
There isnt any option(at least tht I know of) that enables you to switch them
into a monarch/blacksmith/either of the 2 priests etc

I have all buildings built and all heroes made.

I had my original blacksmith swapped into Spy(retains blacksmith abilities to craft and collect from ores).
Then had him swapped into a Mage(retains blacksmith abilities aboe and Spy abilities to equip swords/armors & Pickpocket etc).
Then swapped to Bard(retains blacksmith, spy and Mage abilities minus Meditate. Also have most spells memorised) while
having the whatever bard abilities of the current level.

No issues as of yet.
Instructor
#8 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:47 AM
Is Simmodder99 getting his friends to sign up now? ;-) *cracks up* Sorry if that's a false accusation but it looks like that, doesn't it?
All right you two, good for you. It didn't work in my game. It may not work for everyone. *nods*
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by asrul
I have been "multi-classing" my heroes as well and so far havent had any issues.
The only downside is, there's only so much you can "multi-class" your heroes.
There isnt any option(at least tht I know of) that enables you to switch them
into a monarch/blacksmith/either of the 2 priests etc

I have all buildings built and all heroes made.

I had my original blacksmith swapped into Spy(retains blacksmith abilities to craft and collect from ores).
Then had him swapped into a Mage(retains blacksmith abilities aboe and Spy abilities to equip swords/armors & Pickpocket etc).
Then swapped to Bard(retains blacksmith, spy and Mage abilities minus Meditate. Also have most spells memorised) while
having the whatever bard abilities of the current level.

No issues as of yet.

Thanks. That's what I'm saying... It's a fun game when you push the pie chart to what you want.
Instructor
#10 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 11:02 AM
*waves hand in front of Simmodder99's face* Hello? Are you listening? No? Thought so. All I'm saying is that I encountered horrible borkiness when I did the exact same thing a while ago - so, if it works, good for you. Simply don't expect it to work for everyone. This fact is not going to change.

That said, happy simming! *shakes head, smirking*
Instructor
#11 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 11:07 AM Last edited by sayyadina : 4th Apr 2011 at 11:22 AM.
No reason to get paranoid Rockerduck Peoples games seems to perform very differently with TSM. I guess the best way to find out if and how this works is to create a new kingdom for this purpose, and see what happens. What I dont understand though: Am I supposed to add a profession to an already existing hero? I didnt quite understand the instructions here. What happens to the already existing Blacksmith or Wizard when I do? I would like to give my wizard healing-abilities, like the pshysician has, but she sure can do without the extra responsabilities from that hero. I have a nagging suspicion my game would protest or crash, lol.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sayyadina
No reason to get paranoid Rockerduck Peoples games seems to perform very differently with TSM. I guess the best way to find out if and how this works is to create a new kingdom for this purpose, and see what happens. What I dont understand though: Am I supposed to add a profession to an already existing hero? I didnt quite understand the instructions here. What happens to the already existing Blacksmith or Wizard when I do? I would like to give my wizard healing-abilities, like the pshysician has, but she sure can do without the extra responsabilities from that hero. I have a nagging suspicion my game would protest or crash, lol.

It's probably best to change a NPC from the village area, so that you don't mess up pre-existing housing assignments for a specific Hero sim in relation to his original profession. You can than add them to any household with, Add to Active Family. I am continuing to update the instructions in OP. Have not tried all combinations of multi-classes, yet. Wizard/Healer sounds cool.
Test Subject
#13 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 5:51 PM
Quote:
Is Simmodder99 getting his friends to sign up now? ;-) *cracks up* Sorry if that's a false accusation but it looks like that, doesn't it?

Yea it does but nah... Jus thought to chip in my 2 cents worth is all.

Only "issue" I'm experiencing is tht I now have an additional hero(bard).
As mentioned in my initial(yes my very first!!!!) post that i started out from a Blacksmith
and ended as a Bard. What happened then my kingdom lacked a hero Blacksmith but had
2 Bards. All this while I was playing the Free Time quest.

So I experimented by poisoning the normal bard... obviously killing him.
This action somehow enabled me to create a new Blacksmith hero.
I quit the Free Time quest and did the Fishing quest using the "hacked" bard.
Completing that quest, I went back to Free Time.
First thing I saw was the empty hero potrait for the tavern, indicating that I need
a new Bard hero while my "hacked" Bard is still among the list of heroes in my kingdom.
Btw, my hacked Bard still recognise the Blacksmith structure as his "home"

Anyone knows if theres anyway I can extend this "multi-classing" to a monarch prof?
Would be cool to have a monarch who can cast spells and heal and craft etc
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 6:06 PM
Of course this does make me wonder why Rockerduck did encounter issues. Could be having differing mods installed, could be the order in which you multiclass the hero, could be sunspots... hmm. <wanders off to test and fiddle>
Scholar
#15 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 6:20 PM Last edited by Enjoji : 4th Apr 2011 at 7:10 PM.
I too have begun to fiddle with this, as it sounds majorly awesome. I started off with a new kingdom, with a pre-made Monarch, and changed one of the villagers who were coming in (I think he was a Serf or something.) Somehow I messed the order of changing that one up, so I restarted with another test kingdom, doing the same thing. I changed this NPC into a Wizard first, then into a Physician. With regards to the Wizard side, he can cast only four spells (Flare, Curse, Magic Arrow, and another I've forgotten); it seems these are the first four on Wizard level 1. He can also Scry on the Wizard ball, but cannot learn anymore spells. He can craft both Wizard and Physician tonics and potions on the Crafting Table (either Physician or Wizard), and can Research as well. He can also diagnose, give first aid, cure, etc... I do believe he can also Meditate instead of sleeping... In between all this, I placed a Clinic down...
So I cancelled my Queen's quest to play a Physician one (Hungrey Hamfast) and of course, the game doesn't recognise him as a Physician. So I used a pre-made one for the Clinic. When I went to select my Hero for the Quest, both my modded Physician and the pre-made one were available to play. I chose my modded Physician, and went into the game. And behold, both of the Physicians were in the Clinic - the pre-made one went off to do some crafting on his own... I don't know yet if my modded Physician recognises the Clinic as his 'home', but I'll have to check that. He most probably will always be on the side for me to control anyway...
I have just saved and quitted the game, to test reloading it - see if things have borked or have saved as is... will update when I find out

UPDATE - Have just fiddled some more. When I went back into the game, all was well. The game didn't freeze, crash or bork out so I was okay in that respect. So I thought I'd try some more combos. I came away from my Physician (who I found recognised the Castle as his home..), and decided to try Heros rather than NPC's. I started as a Wizard and combo'd him as a Knight. The game recognises him as a Knight, but he goes home to the Wizard's Tower. He was able to Cast Spells etc, and also do the odd Knight interaction (eg - Threaten for Money); not all of them though. I then did the same with the Knight - combo'd with the Wizard; it was just in reverse - recognises the Barracks as home, but was not able to Cast Spells, had all Knight interactions and was able to meditate...
Somehow the NPC Physician I'd created had disappeared(?), so I went back to the Physician I'd created for the Clinic, starting a Quest with him (woke him up too, bless..) I decided to change him to a Wizard, then change him again back to a Physician. That way, I managed to get him to recognise the Clinic as home, he can cast spells, he can meditate, he can diagnose, research, craft items... so that's perfect enough for me, lol... I will mess around with the other Heroes and see if I can get that kind of combo...

...Titanium white...
Instructor
#16 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by garghuul
Of course this does make me wonder why Rockerduck did encounter issues. Could be having differing mods installed, could be the order in which you multiclass the hero, could be sunspots... hmm. <wanders off to test and fiddle>

*shrugs* I quite obviously have higher expectations, heh. That "game doesn't recognize character as chosen profession" thing is an issue for me, for example. I simply do not wish to create a new character I don't really want in my kingdom just so the game recognizes the building is occupied. Can't even kill them off. So, yeah, you may not mind but I do. ;-)
Test Subject
#17 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 7:06 PM
What do you mean by can't even kill them off?'
The "Serve tempered drink" by a Spy always works for me
Instructor
#18 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 7:36 PM
Nooo, I mean you can't kill them off without having to create yet another useless new hero. ;-)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 10:04 PM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 4th Apr 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Thank you everyone for your comments, and experimentation, and outright resistance to reason. The point of such a thread as this is to test the limits of the game engine, to have fun playing and to discuss our finds. I hope good comes of this. That someone brilliant makes a modded package that benefits us all based on our delving. I've had a lot of fun pushing the game into doing new and different things. I'm glad to see the game doesn't easily freeze, crash or bork when making unusal choices. It's good to see that secondary heroes are a possiblility and that there are interesting decisions to be made in non-standard gameplay. Have the Dark Wizards visited your kingdom?
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#20 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 1:08 AM
**runs around like an insane person quacking and farting**

:D

Actually you are both most likely correct.
For some reason doing such things will work fine for some, and for others totally bork the game.

Some things that need corrected are the way the game handles things. For instance when playing with an npc
character the game constantly tries to "evict non-role sim". Ahh...this game could be so much more with some proper editing
of the core files...
I would love this game if it were tweaked to be more like an rpg where you create a sim from the start, choose a profession
or even go to different buildings and choose prof and just enjoy the game. my GOD they screwed up a great game with their limits
and whatnot.

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 3:37 AM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 6th Apr 2011 at 9:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by wintermuteai1
**runs around like an insane person quacking and farting**

:D

Actually you are both most likely correct.
For some reason doing such things will work fine for some, and for others totally bork the game.

Some things that need corrected are the way the game handles things. For instance when playing with an npc
character the game constantly tries to "evict non-role sim". Ahh...this game could be so much more with some proper editing
of the core files...
I would love this game if it were tweaked to be more like an rpg where you create a sim from the start, choose a profession
or even go to different buildings and choose prof and just enjoy the game. my GOD they screwed up a great game with their limits
and whatnot.

LOL! If anyone else would have said as much I wouldn't have believed it. But you are the very brilliant one I spoke of saving the game from mediocrity. Make that a core mod! Free time play + RPG fixes by Wintermuteai1...
Test Subject
#22 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 10:30 AM
Question answered
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 6:57 PM
Updated and simplified Original Post instructions. Hope you all like it.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 11:49 PM Last edited by Katastrophe1112 : 9th Apr 2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: oddity
I happened upon this dual profession possibility solely by way of indecision. My master surgeon married Berenger the Patient. I chose to make him a bard (sorry, can't remember which mod makes that possible) and almost immediately changed my mind and made him a knight. With the next quest which made the knight the primary hero, he, Sir Berenger, was in the queue as a viable choice. What I discovered a short time later whilst clicking the ground near the grave yard was that he could gather inspiration. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to see if he could pen anything. Gah.

****the only oddity I experienced was the ability to age up their progeny. For a day or 3 the kid did the weird ping-pong-ing, little person-to big person thing. I quit the game to begin again later. When I started playing again the child of the marriage between the surgeon and "knight/bard/patient" was a bloodletter cooking up potions at the crafting table in the clinic. In a freakin' pretty dress.

. . . because sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang onto.
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 5:56 AM Last edited by happyopi : 9th Apr 2011 at 11:10 AM.
TSM can't handle a Sim equip sword+staff at the same time and disables the wizard actions.

The evil witch, if you choose to marry her off to your monarch during the quest, actually wields both
From what I've witnessed she can duel spar scry patrol and randomly cast basic spells

Thank you so much for the guide ! I would have never thought of this idea, my evil witch turned queen can now have a proper evil staff and magical sword (ones that require levels). And she got that awesome sorceress title.
Page 1 of 2