Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:37 AM
Default Help getting out of frozen furnish mode
Hello everybody,

I had a quick question over how to get out of furnish mode in Sims Medieval when it freezes on you? I ask because my specific problem occurred while I was furnishing the Peteran Church so I could complete a quest (the creation of a inspirational weapon for the kingdom or something like that). Any way when I went to leave the furnish mode to switch back into live, I wasn't able to do so. So I tried to switch over to kingdom mode to see if I could actually do that at all. But no go there either. So now I'm not even sure what to do. I was unable to save when it was like that so I'm reverted to the last quest I was on which was the monarch going on vacation. But now I feel I can no longer play my game because if there are any more quests where I will have to furnish another building I won't be able to complete the quest. So any one else have this problem? Have any suggestions of what to do? Thanks ahead of time. P.S. sorry if this is a double post. It signed me out the first time and I wasn't sure if my last post got posted or not.
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 3:04 AM
I don't know how to fix your freeze bug, but I can tell you that you don't ever HAVE to enter furnish mode, afaik. You have the option whenver you add a building, but you don't have to take it, and if your quest requires an object that your current hero doesn't currently have at their residence, they can use it anywhere else.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 3:39 AM
Default Response to ?
Yea I was aware of that for most of my other quests. And at most I would go into furnish mode to get a tub or scribe table if the current sim didn't have one in their building regardless if it was quest related or not. And I would still actually like to do this from time to time. I just don't want it to mess up my game because of it, ya know?

Oh and by chance have you played the inspirational weapon quest? Cause as you said normally you can take care of the quest needs through doing something else related to it without going into furnish mode. And one part of it is the Peteran Priest reading something from the library. But I don't recall any other place that would have a library save for the castle. Could he go there to complete that part of the quest or what?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 4:59 AM
I had the same problem but in CAS while creating a hero blacksmith. Couldn't get out at all. had to turn the whole computer off and lost alot. So I too would love to know a solution. In the mean time I save frequently!

Her smile was like a rainbow after a sudden storm...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clearblueskies
I had the same problem but in CAS while creating a hero blacksmith. Couldn't get out at all. had to turn the whole computer off and lost alot. So I too would love to know a solution. In the mean time I save frequently!

I hear ya ClearBlue. Although I still have to say I haven't a clue how or why this started happening. A side effect do to the patches or something? As that is like the only thing I have done lately in my game is install those. Prior to that my game was playing smoothly. I mean I could even furnish the castle with no problem. But now just to get a simple bookshelf for the priest is not happening. And possibly related to the same problem. When I tried to get the blacksmith to use the scribe table at the priest's place it wouldn't work for him either. So that is another reason why I had wanted to buy him one for his place. But if furnish mode is nixed I'm totally SOL unless I quit and start over. Which would suck as I read another player had problems with this happening in the first steps mode which I don't want to go through it happening that way though and lose all my current progress.
Instructor
#6 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I don't know how to fix your freeze bug, but I can tell you that you don't ever HAVE to enter furnish mode, afaik. You have the option whenver you add a building, but you don't have to take it, and if your quest requires an object that your current hero doesn't currently have at their residence, they can use it anywhere else.

But we HAVE to enter furnish mode! What's the fun in this game if we can't even decorate a bit?

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 2:47 AM
So true. As I'm someone that likes to decorate as I go along and not right away. Besides I don't like having my other hero sims having to travel all over the Kingdom to use other sim's stuff. However lately I don't even think that would even work if the black smith couldn't even use the scribe table at the priest place. So I think I'm up a creek here with no way to turn.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 2:57 AM
It has happened to me too! Unfortunately I haven't found a way out of it... The only thing I can recommend is to save just before you go in Build Mode. So that all your progress won't be completely lost, like me today after over 2 hours play. :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 3:12 AM
Oh man that just sucks Lilth. I think I lost that much too when I first came across the problem. Thankfully I can revert back to my last quest and not have to worry too much about problems. But still, just ugh. Ah well I'll just go without furnishing and see if I can complete the quest through other means. I'm glad to know at least I'm not the only one.
Instructor
#10 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 10:59 AM
CherryBerry, do you have any mod in your game that could affect buy mode? Maybe try re-naming your The Sims Medieval folder in your documents (just call it "The Sims Medieval b" or whatever) so when you launch it will start a fresh game*, take out the mods and check if the problem persists. Mine doesn't freeze but placing some items is so awkward (specially anything that's attached to the wall), and the crazy camera doesn't help either, I really think EA should do something about this. I mean, it's a fact that many players like decorating (I know for myself that if I couldn't I would lose all interest in the game), and if they implemented a feature in their game they should make sure it works properly.

*Starting a new game means starting at the f·····g tutorial again, but maybe there's a way to skip it?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 1:25 AM
No mods at all Alex in my game. Heck I just bought it and installed it and it was smooth sailing. But then getting the damn patch is what seemed to do something somewhere along the way. So short of uninstalling it and then restarting I'm not sure what else I could do really. I also agree with you that the camera angles suck along with the tutorial. And although I'm not big on decorating a lot, I do like to know I can get in there and swap out and change up items for better quality if need be. I guess this is just another sign I should be careful with the patches as I hardly ever get problems til I install them cause we are supposed to have them.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alexpilgrim
*Starting a new game means starting at the f·····g tutorial again, but maybe there's a way to skip it?

There is a way to sort of skip it.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438937
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 8:46 AM
So yea I wound up restarting and thankfully taking down a few quests as I went. Just sucks that I was so close to being done and was down to having one last building to put up. But this time around I'm working through the majority of these monarch quests and building up enough RP to get 3 buildings at a time.
Test Subject
#14 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 5:26 PM
I am stuck in furnish/build mode, too.

And in reply to Srikandi's comment (second one), yes, I did have to enter furnish mode- It's part of the tutorial. It required me to upgrade the throne room.

I didn't have to make many changes, but... I Sim, therefore I decorate.

And after why would I not want to redecorate anyways? Yes it's a beautifully illustrated game and what's there is nice, but, I repeat, I Sim, therefore... this is Sims and not Warcraft or Zelda. (which I also play, so this is not a putdown to those other games) The redecorating capabilities are like sims 3 and lots of fun! I can't wait to figure out how to add more clothes and patterns and...

But since I have had played the game for only a weekend I digress from freezing and being stuck in furnish mode. Which I am. I've restarted the game 6 or seven times because I keep getting stuck. The last two restarts have deactivate my tutorial,

?? because I got through to building Hero and marketplace?? I dunno!

What I found was there is a message that pops up when I deleated an item that the item was esential andI would have to replace it to get back to live mode. The sweet littel message box pops up with a button to push--only one option <ok> (no option to cancel, so I kwew why you are stuck, but....!!)

so then I was stuck, because the live button was greyed out did not reactivate when I replace it (with same or upgrade). Same message with draging into inventory instead of deleting. This happens with the bed and stove that -- I know of so far.

I learned on my third restart if you add the upgraded item first them delete the old one you don't get the message. (which might as well read "Hey your screwed") and that worked and got me past the castle to the first kingdom addition. Well, no more message box. The game is stuck and I don't know why.

So I've deleted all the stuck games and I restart a new one again and it is stuck in furnish with out making any changes! The tutorial is gone and now I'm looking for a reset button. Saving the game before going into furnish and quiting with out a save didn't work either, because live mode was still greyed out-- Think I'm down to uninstall and reinstall.
Instructor
#15 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 5:42 PM
Before you re-install try renaming your The Sims Medieval folder in your Documents (call it "The Sims Medieval 2" or whatever), when you launch it will create a new game.

"I Sim, therefore I decorate", good one, I think I'll engrave that as my epitaph!

Test Subject
#16 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 8:38 PM
Thanks, I will try that first! Appreciate your suggestion -- I'll drag the mydocs folder to the desktop file I use for back ups.

I have done alot of work sending the exsisting patterns arround the color wheel, so there might be a chance to recover those, if I don't delete by reinstall.

I don't remember where I got that from, but someone on MTS started a series of I ...therfore I ... illiteratons back with Sims 2 University and that was my contribution.

&BTW-- Please don't use it soon, as that would mean you would no longer be here for good advice, which is much appreicated.
Instructor
#17 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 8:50 PM
The custom patterns you created are in the UserPresets file. If you change the name of your "The Sims Medieval" folder you can leave it in your documents, the game will automatically create a new "The Sims Medieval" folder since just adding one letter or number to the initial folder name will make the game not recognize it (and therefore create a new one), but saving it somewhere else on your computer is OK too.

And don't worry, I don't plan on using that epitaph anytime soon!

Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 8:38 PM
Default Maybe a dumb Answer here
Well i almost posted that i had same problem, instead i started new game and went to the same spot i was when it froze on me the first time, and i got there and there is no time to save it before i get to the frozen spot, then i read the who thing when the quest started and it seemed like all i had to do was go to my quest page and click through the pages and boom it took me right out of the freeze and back to play time