Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 6:39 AM
Default What if there is no laundromat?
I just ran into a problem with this household, my sim picks up dirty laundry and just stand there, unresponsive to any command. I can turn camera still, but I can't do anything else, which ended up terminating the game.

This brings me to a question: What if there is no laundry machines at home, and no laundromat in town? Sims will keep piling up dirty laundry, where will they go?

I am playing in Bridgeport, and I honestly can't find a laundromat anywhere. It is not always feasible to add washing & drying machines in game. Especially when I try to role play a poor sim who is really a penny pincher, further more there is no room for him to put 2 big machines in the tiny apartment.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 6:45 AM
likely the place will just fill up with dirty clothes. getting a couple machines or getting rid of the hampers are the best solutions.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Instructor
#3 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 6:51 AM
If you don't have hampers in the house the sims won't produce dirty laundry. In this way laundry is entirely optional. If you want to have dirty laundry, but no washer and dryer, then putting a laundromat in town is the only other option (I usually just clone the one from Twinbrook since there isn't one in the lot bin).
Forum Resident
#4 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dream_operator23
If you don't have hampers in the house the sims won't produce dirty laundry. In this way laundry is entirely optional. If you want to have dirty laundry, but no washer and dryer, then putting a laundromat in town is the only other option (I usually just clone the one from Twinbrook since there isn't one in the lot bin).

Thanks for the tip about the laundry hampers, I only wish this worked in real life. Oh the thrill of optional laundry---
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dream_operator23

My original Bridgeport has no Laundromat. And my lot has no hamper, sims still produce laundry. Oh this is in 1 of those EA made apartment.

What is a "hamper" in TS3 anyway? My bathroom has the 3 basic shower, sink, toilet. And if I am to put in anything to do with laundry, I get washing and drying machine. If you mean that laundry basket, I thought it is purely decorative, and I don't even have any to begin with.

Also what is consisted of Laundromat? Would just placing a washing and drying machine at a local corner store counts as laundromat? Bridgeport is already as crowded as it is.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 2:51 PM Last edited by RoseCity : 20th Apr 2011 at 3:04 PM.
A laundromat would just be a building on a community lot with a washer and dryer with 'Laundromat' selected as the lot type.
The hampers are available in Buy mode under Appliances Misc. You can drag the clothes piles to them to save time the same as dragging things to the trash can.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 3:10 PM
I don't know what you did to your game, but when there are no laundry objects on a lot Sims will not leave any dirty clothing behind. It's simply not possible. And default EA houses contain no objects from other EPs for compatibility reasons.
And as regards your other question: You can place washing machines and dryers on any community lot you desire, even a disco. It's just that non-controlled Sims will probably not use them and you will miss certain laundry-related discussion topics if the lot is not categorised as laundromat.
I placed washer and dryer in the firestation and send my Sims there. The disadvantage of the Twinbrook laundromat is that it contains a grave with a ghost and it requires some work to get rid of it.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 3:22 PM
never new that about the twinbrook laundromat.. on a side note i still cant enable laundry at the laundromat.. so i guess its all good
Inventor
#9 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 6:50 PM
You could also add a laundry room to the apartment building your sim lives in. Just type in the cheat to allow buying/building on the lot (restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off) and place a washer and dryer in an accessible space. I have done this and just added the funds back to my sim's account so they weren't paying for "public" laundry facilities.

It's really weird though that you are getting dirty clothes piles if you do not have any of the laundry items out on your lot. There has to be a washer or dryer or a hamper or a clothing line in place for the laundry option to even come into play.

kittens!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedblue
You could also add a laundry room to the apartment building your sim lives in. Just type in the cheat to allow buying/building on the lot (restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off) and place a washer and dryer in an accessible space. I have done this and just added the funds back to my sim's account so they weren't paying for "public" laundry facilities.

It's really weird though that you are getting dirty clothes piles if you do not have any of the laundry items out on your lot. There has to be a washer or dryer or a hamper or a clothing line in place for the laundry option to even come into play.

I think the MOAR interactions mod from Buzzler enables "Clean house" action, and this opens up dirty laundry everywhere for sim to clean, just a thought (or it could be AwesomeMod or MasterController).

Yep I ended up doing that, a laundromat within the apartment complex, which is reasonable. But I think I am going to dedicate one of my 1x1 slot on the map to be Laundromat.