Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 8:39 PM
Default Strange texture on accessory in CAS and in game
Hi,

I have been working on making a jacket as an accessory, and overall it turned out great. The problem is that I seem to have this strange texture going on in CAS and in game.

In CTU, the texture looks perfect, but when I select it in my CAS screen, the texture is completely off.

In game, the texture turns black.

I use S3PE to add the GEOM and images because CTU doesn't work well for me when it comes to that. For the images, I made them uncompressed (which I read in other posts), but it still didn't seem to help.

Also, this is cloned from one of the jacket outfits from All About Style , so I can't upload the package file.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 10:04 PM
Few things can cause this but i dont have enough info to give you the solution.
Is your package based on a accesoire or outfit?(set to accesoire)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 11:18 PM
Thanks for replying.
Sorry for not being so informative. I am trying not to go against All About Style's policy, so I was a little hesitant about what to post and whatnot.

The mesh originally was a top, but I fixed it in milkshape (took out the torso and hands) and then in s3pe, I went to the CASP tag to edit it.

I converted it to an accessory and used under the bracelet function.
Then, I replaced the GEOM with the mesh I wanted.
I also changed the _IMG tags (the RBG mask and base) to match what I wanted. I first saved these as a .dds with a compression of DXT5(generate mipmaps), then after testing in game, I saved it as a compression of DXT1(generate mipmaps), then finally; a .dds file with no compression, but still generating the mipmaps.

In CTU, the mesh works perfectly, and the RBG mask works just like I wanted it to do as well.
In CAS, I get this mix of patterns (seen in attachment) and a white streak through the jacket accessory.
In the game, The mesh turns completely black (also in the attachment)

Sorry if this is still not enough information. If you need me to post more, I will.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 11:59 PM
Do you still have the original AAS file installed? It sounds like you didn't re-instance the meshes or textures, so they'll conflict.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 12:05 AM
What are the AAS files?
So, do I need to create a different instance code for everything I changed?
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 12:42 AM
i dont think its wise to do this with s3PE?
As whiterider said, it prolly conflicts with the original outfit if you dont update the instance id's
Besides that
The file is probably still linked to the skintone files
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 12:46 AM
I tried to do this in CTU. I hit commit and save after putting the GEOM files in LOD0_1, LOD0_2, and LOD0_3. Then after committing and saving, I would exit out of CTU. When I opened the file back up, it was back to the way it was before I imported the new meshes. The only way I could get my mesh to show up was using s3pe.

I am not sure if it is something that I'm doing wrong. I can get patterns to work just fine.

Edit: The preview seems to be working fine now after I uninstalled and reinstalled CTU.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 3:44 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I have a new problem separate from before.

I imported everything into CTU as suggested, but now my mesh doesn't show up at all in CAS or in game. It shows up in CTU just fine when I open the package back up.
I imported the GEOM in LOD0, LOD0_1, LOD0_2, and LOD_3. I then gave it a new mesh name and hit Commit.
I then save.
I then add my patterns in the New Design tab and hit save.
I add the correct textures in the texture tab (the RBGmask and Base).
In the parts category, I have it as accessory, bracelet, then human. It is categorized in everyday, formal, and athletic. I also made sure that it is not hidden in CAS and not marked as revealing.

I am not sure what I did wrong. Also, I cloned it from the three hoop bracelet like before.
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 10:48 AM
you need to load your meshes in:
Lod1 box wich is the high detail
Lod2 box wich is medium detail
Lod3 box wich is the low detail

Also make sure the meshes have the same comments in the GEOMS as the hoops
Best is to extract the hoop meshes and import the lod1 in Milkshape, then import your custom lod1
Fix the comments, delete the original earring and export
Do the same for the other lods

I have to worn you, even when they show up, the accesoire will not be slidercompatible.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 10:58 AM
I usually do it this way:
* New mesh name
* Commit
* Import meshes
* Commit
* Save
* Open (without closing CTU - but that last doesn't matter, I just do it this way because it's quicker)

I don't know if the extra commit makes a difference - I remember that I was taught to do it that way, but not by whom, or why. However, as Bloom says, it sounds like you imported the meshes into the wrong slots. I'll amend what Bloom said, though - you do also need to import one LOD0 mesh for an accessory, not just the LODs 1, 2 and 3. Only use the LOD0_1 and so on boxes if your mesh has several groups, which will be exported from Milkshape as separate files.

Sockpuppet
#11 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 11:35 AM
The lod0 is a very high detail mesh and not used on the hoops,
But Whiterider could be right and it doesn't harm if you load the high detail in lod0 aswell.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 11:38 AM
As far as I know, all accessories have a LOD0, do they not? Are the hoops the only exception?

Sockpuppet
#13 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 11:56 AM
no, not all
No idea why EA did this.
The braceletstack for instance has only 3(lod1/2 and 3) but the braceletgoth has 4(lod0/1/2 and 3)
Same with the glasses
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 1:58 PM
So, I have to get rid of the LOD0 then and just have LOD0_1, LOD0_2, and LOD0_3?
In the comments, I copied it exactly from the hoops, but changed the FVFItems: 6 to FVFItems: 7 (I used to make hair before attempting making an accessory).
I am not sure if changing 6 to 7 would actually cause the mesh to act up though.
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 2:32 PM
Load the high detail mesh in both lod0 and lod1
The FVFItems is if you want to enable it to use with the sliders
If set to 7 you need to make morphs and new Bgeo's(sliderfiles)

I recently did a similar project but with TSRW wich makes it all a bit easier
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 2:46 PM Last edited by birdyfly : 28th Apr 2011 at 10:13 PM.
So, do I upload my mesh like this? (Attachment)
Note that I just put my LOD0 mesh in all the boxes just as an example on where I'm supposed to place each mesh.

EDIT: Also, when I extracted the mesh of the bracelet, I noticed that there is a fourth file along with the LOD files.
I have: afAccessoryBraceletsStack_lod1_0x00000000CE86E158, afAccessoryBraceletsStack_lod2_0x00000000CE86E15B, and afAccessoryBraceletsStack_lod3_0x00000000CE86E15A as the LOD files. Then, there is this file:
736884F1_00000001_000000000083019C.vpxy

Am I supposed to do something with this file? I am still uncertain where to put the LOD files. (Since in CTU it says I only need LOD0 only, but the bracelet appears to have a lod1, lod2, and lod3).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Apr 2011 at 11:54 PM
Okay, I used only CTU and I followed this tutorial word for word, but I still can't get the jacket to show up in CAS or in Game.

I also looked at other threads that were having this problem (most of them were problems with hair, but I figured it was similar) and followed what to do in those situations as well.

I deleted the cache files, so I am not sure why it is still invisible. Help please.
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 1st May 2011 at 5:20 AM
Did you give the mesh the proper comment in the comments box?(in Milkshape)
The screenshot shows a incorrect order.
Use the Lod boxes, NOT the lod_1/Lod_2

In Lod0 box you put the afAccessoryBraceletsStack_lod1_0x00000000CE86E158(or your high detail mesh)
In Lod1 box you also put the afAccessoryBraceletsStack_lod1_0x00000000CE86E158(or your high detail mesh)
In Lod2 you put the afAccessoryBraceletsStack_lod2_0x00000000CE86E15(or your medium detail mesh)
In Lod3 you put the afAccessoryBraceletsStack_lod3_0x00000000CE86E15A(or your low detail mesh)

I agree its a bit confusing when CTU says you only need one lod0 and to avoid meshes not showing up i advise you to load your high detail mesh in both the lod0 and lod1(like i described)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st May 2011 at 5:44 PM
Thank you so much!

I'll put LOD0 in LOD0 and LOD1, ignoring the LOD0_1, etc. Then LOD2 in LOD2, and so forth. If I still have problems, I'll post on here with a screen shot.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd May 2011 at 1:48 AM
Okay, so I managed to get the jacket to work successfully. Now, I am working on making morph states.
Everything is going well except when I go to export my fat and fit, I get an error message:
"ERR: base group has % incorrect face count"

I am not sure what this means.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#21 Old 2nd May 2011 at 11:20 AM
How exactly did you make the morphs?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd May 2011 at 1:10 PM
I took one half of the jacket and duplicated it. Then I mirrored it and grouped the two together. I was having problems matching up the sleeves to make them look similar, so I took this approach.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#23 Old 2nd May 2011 at 1:52 PM
That... doesn't really tell us much . You need to make sure that the following are true:

The base mesh and each morph are only one group each. You can of course save a working version of the file with everything in separate groups for ease of use - but when you actually export, you need to have one group for the base, one group for fat, etc.
The morph groups all have exactly the same vertices and faces as the base. Avoid duplicating things, avoid deleting them - it can be done, but it's a pain in the arse. If you're struggling with shaping the morphs, try MorphMangle - or, if you don't think you'll need to do too much tweaking of the morphs' shapes, scroll down that thread to Bloom's post for a quicker method.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd May 2011 at 2:46 PM
That would explain why I might have problems since I duplicated the group first after cutting the jacket in half, then mirroring it. Also, before all this, I tried to take an easy way of merging the fat and fit arms with the jacket sleeves (which didn't work), so I have a feeling my vertices and faces are different than the base.

So, with the MorphMangle, is it like a tool that I install in the CTU folder?

Also, thank you SO MUCH for linking me to this. The morphs are a huge pain, especially with the FAT mesh.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#25 Old 2nd May 2011 at 5:45 PM
MorphMangle is a Milkshape plugin. Put it in the Milkshape folder in Program Files.

Page 1 of 2