Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2011 at 7:31 PM
Default Why did you swap to the Sims 3
If you swapped to the Sims 3 why did you do it? I did it because the graphics are amazing and the open neighbour hood were really, a great idea. Compare the pictures

My graphics were on the very highest on Sims 2 and are medium/low on Sims 3!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 17th May 2011 at 7:51 PM
The open neighborhood, the fact that you don't have to switch around and play every single household to age people up at the same rate. Those were my main reasons.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Forum Resident
#3 Old 17th May 2011 at 7:54 PM
I got the Sims 2 Double Deluxe for Christmas and then my brother-in-law brought home the Sims 3 a couple of months later with WA and HELS. I just added it on and I played them both. I eventually made the switch to just Sims 3 when my 140 GB hard drive ran out of space and I needed to get rid of some of my stuff and since I'd been playing the Sims 3 more, I took out the Sims 2 and the near 3 GB of CC I had in it.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Alchemist
#4 Old 17th May 2011 at 7:55 PM
Open world baby and story progression. No more trying to keep families aging at the same rate. It was a lot of work trying to remember which family I needed to catch up next
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th May 2011 at 8:05 PM
It was more of the Sims, with new content and new ways of playing. Traits! Open neighbourhood! Collecting!
Banned
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th May 2011 at 8:08 PM
Yes. Collecting is fun. I also love the way you can see bugs and slugs and stuff!
Alchemist
#7 Old 17th May 2011 at 8:23 PM
You made this thread becaus you just got TS3, right? Anyway, I switched to TS3 one year after releasing. I switched because of the graphics, open neighbourhood and the possabilities with the patterns and colours (over 700.000.000 possabilities!!!!!!!)

Possabilities, possebilities or possilities?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#8 Old 17th May 2011 at 8:34 PM
Okay, I thought I would be a Sims 2 player for life, but when the leaked version came out, I played it and fell in love with the game. Said to myself, yes I must buy this! Yeah it was basic, but I really enjoyed the open neighborhood and I don't have to play the whole town to get everyone up in age. Little kids can befriend each other for life and I don't play personalities I don't like just to age up the household. I loved the new trait system, children can be out and about, don't need a babysitter. Too many more things to think of now.

I became really excited as the mods came out for story progression. My town came to life the way I wished Sims 2 would.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#9 Old 17th May 2011 at 8:42 PM
My roommate and I are playing this fun type of game. We both created a separate family in the same save. So with story progression on, when she's at home playing her family while I'm at work during the day story progression keeps my family going on. It's kind of cool to come home and see what happened to my family while she played hers. She gets the same experience the next morning when I head out to work after having played my family the night before and goes to play her family. Yesterday I got home to play my family and saw that her sim had convinced my sim to break up with his wife and the two of them had the love interest icon for each other. I'm trying to think of what I can do to screw with her now
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th May 2011 at 8:43 PM
I switched to The Sims 3, the day it came out: well because of some of the same reasons that are all ready posted, one is that I was tired of The Sims 2, the rest is, graphics, gameplay, possablilities with CAS, and in building and open world

mjau
----------
Known as Elevinia on simscave and GoS
Site Helper
#11 Old 17th May 2011 at 8:59 PM
Who says I switched?

Ok, it's been 4 months since I played Sims 2, so maybe I have switched after all. Then again, it had been 2 months since I played Sims 3, until yesterday, when I was experimenting with seeing if I could tolerate Normal aging. (I couldn't. I cheated him cooking and fishing skills, and planted life fruit in his yard so he could make ambrosia any time he needed it.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
#12 Old 17th May 2011 at 9:53 PM
I just made the switch because my mom got me TS3 as a birthday present along with this laptop, and my TS2 EPs got thrown away during the move.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th May 2011 at 10:05 PM
I still currently have all of the sims 2 EP's, and SP's installed on my computer. I haven't played it in a while, because i have a rather large video game collection, but, i know i'll go back to it at some point. I still feel like there was more to do on one lot in the sims 2, than there was in the whole neighborhood on the sims 3. but that's with all of the EP's and SP's. I'm sure once we have everything for the sims 3, that'll change. I just really want a University EP for the sims 3! That would make my day so much! D:

I might even skip out on pets this time around, unless they completely wow me with it. Pets was overdone in the sms 2 in my opinion. I mean, it was fun the first time around, but, when they keep digging holes in your yard, and you have to go and deal with it, it kinda puts a damper on things. Lol.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 17th May 2011 at 11:16 PM Last edited by CleoSombra : 18th May 2011 at 9:51 AM.
I hate, like, everything about the Sims 3. The way the interactions are played out (Having to do 5+ interactions just to massage my pregnant sim, not fun). The fact that I can't go grocery shopping in an actual grocery store. Tons of interactions and items are missing from the base game and being put in expansion packs.

The only thing I like, far more than open neighborhoods, is story progression and town-aging, whether Twallan's or EA's. I focus on one family, and it makes my life so much easier.

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Test Subject
#15 Old 17th May 2011 at 11:23 PM Last edited by StripyWitch : 18th May 2011 at 3:01 AM.
I actually did the reverse. I played the Sims 3 first, it seemed logical because it was the latest in the series, and I loved it. However I eventually switched to the Sims 2, because I got fed up of all of the bugs and hassle that came with TS3. Also because I heard TS2 was more complete, and had no disappearing neighbours(< I was wrong about the neighbours, but it's a bug and not a feature in TS2). It was a real wake-up call for me, as I came to realise that most of the animations and furniture, even the CC, from TS3 is actually just recycled from TS2. I then became disillusioned with the series, but decided I would try TSM(which added a lot of fun new animations to the series, but still heavily recycled TS2 ones). These days I play a bit of all 3, TS3 is probably my favourite though when it's working properly.

Another thing I learned by playing TS2 is how much of a scam TS3 is. Surely the new and improved version of a game should include all of the features of its predecessor? Did Tomb Raider 3 come without the ability to jump and run? Were the old pokemon and moves not included in every subsequent pokemon game(I don't count B&W! D? Then why is it that TS3 was released with barely anything that was in TS2 and its expansions? That, the Sims Store and the seemingly watered down versions of EPs that we already paid for with TS2 are what has destroyed my trust in EA. Whew, I got really off topic.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 17th May 2011 at 11:29 PM
You don't need to "swap" from one game to another. I think that most of the people on this site play both games.

My favorite parts of The Sims 3 are open neighborhoods, more precise customization, and traits. However, I vastly prefer The Sims 2's aging system, nightlife, and apartments.
Test Subject
#17 Old 17th May 2011 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by qpldmff
You don't need to "swap" from one game to another. I think that most of the people on this site play both games.

My favorite parts of The Sims 3 are open neighborhoods, more precise customization, and traits. However, I vastly prefer The Sims 2's aging system, nightlife, and apartments.

I have to agree about the apartments. I loved having my sims living next door to their college friends or sorority sisters after they all graduated.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th May 2011 at 11:43 PM
My computer died and although I had all the addons and addpackeges on the computer I realised that I didn't have the complete set on disks (got lost or handed over to my sister) and Sims 3 was already out and instead of replacing the missing addons and packages I needed for Sims2 I decided to try Sims 3 out and haven't looked back.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#19 Old 18th May 2011 at 12:08 AM
I bought Sims3 the day it came out - mainly because I wanted to mod it and the open hood looked so cool. I thought I might even play it - I rarely played TS2 as I just find it boring to play with a sim and so I mainly build houses. Sadly - sims are sims (and I get seasick from the camera in buildmode) and TS3 is actually no more fun than TS2. Possibly easier to play, its not wildly challenging.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th May 2011 at 12:26 AM
The open neighborhood, so that everyone and everything happens at the same rate, and so I can see if I could cause mass chaos, like setting a whole street on fire, or even a neighbors house.

Sky Marshal Skittles to the rescue!

Causing havoc here at MTS since 2004
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 18th May 2011 at 12:34 AM
I also have to agree the open neighborhood got me into buying TS3. Although afterward, I did start to get into a lot of little things like better graphics. In fact, I just noticed this not too long ago. Comparing to TS2, TS3 renders sim's shadow better. It may have been obvious, too obvious that we didn't pay attention to, but I just noticed my sim's body casts shadow on her arms when I rotated her around. Little things like this just make TS3 look more life like. Other more good stuff is the introduction of more sliders (and custom sliders) that we have a lot more freedom customizing sims.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Theorist
#22 Old 18th May 2011 at 1:00 AM
I came in at the tail end of Sims 2.. Dec 2007 with The Sims 2 Double Deluxe + Nightlife + Bon Voyage. Then I got Seasons, OFB and when they were released FreeTime and Apartment Life. I thought I would never been moving to The Sims 3 anytime soon. At least not until they had tons and tons of CC for it. I figured 2 years BOY WAS I WRONG!! LOL

My husband came home with 2 copies of The Sims 3 on launch day. He installed his and stopped playing Sims 2 from that time on. I watched for a bit because I was going to stick to my guns and hold off. That was good for about 3 days. After watching him play I gave in and installed it. I kept my Sims 2 on my computer for a little over a year before I officially uninstalled it.

What convinced me? The open hood, the graphics, universal aging, CAS and CASt.
Instructor
#23 Old 18th May 2011 at 1:24 AM
I fell in love with it as soon as I played the game. I thought I'd still play The Sims 2 as well but I don't think I've played it for about 4 months.
Scholar
#24 Old 18th May 2011 at 1:48 AM
simply put....it was the next in line...
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 18th May 2011 at 1:58 AM
Open world, story progression and universal aging. It's fun seeing how your kid grows up with the boy next door, fall in love, going on dates that I dont have to monitor thanks to rabbitholes (movie/stadium then dinner). And then they get their own house and when the hubby is off to work, the girl can visits their parents and all that shit. And the cycle continues.

Plus, I no longer have to depends on Fansee to release 20+ recolors for the same item with CaSt.
Page 1 of 2