Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 39 (Who?), Viewed: 8578 times.
Page 1 of 2
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2011 at 5:51 AM
A Name Game...
Alright, so ever since I saw Extensa5420's thread, I've been trying to think up unique names for my legacies. Now I've decided to put my progress up, I want unique names. Nothing like Mary or David. I'm sure I've seen those two in all of my middle school classes at least once. Here let me explain...(:

Say I was the first to post, this is how I'd like it to be.(:
(Your number *1, 2, 3, 4... and so on*)
(*at least 10 names* try for five boy and five girl names)
And please, don't include links to unique baby name sites. I know about those and I'm pretty sure alot of other members do too. I just think it'd be nice to have them all here, in one place.(:
#1 Boys Names
*Echo
*Acorn (Odd, yes. But still my favorite.(
*Caed (Pronounced Kade)
*Adonis
*Peeta
Girls Names
*Ebony
*Nevaeh (My Personal Favorite, is heaven backwards.(
*Adelle (Pronounced A-deli)
*Ianna
*Willoughby (From that childrens book.<3)

Please share.(:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:22 AM
From The Clan of the Cave Bear series:

Boys:

Creb
Jondular
Brun
Mo-gur
Grod

Girls:

Ayla
Iza
Uba
Ebra
Ursus
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:52 AM
I like them.(:

Very unique :D

Look forward to being credited in one of my legacies. (:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphy01
#1 Boys Names
*Echo

I use Echo as well, but in my hood it's a girl's name, since Echo was female, a mountain nymph, in Greek mythology.

Some names from my neighborhoods:

Girls:

* Thalia
* Astra
* Electra
* Elani
* Rayen (means "flower" in Mapuche)

Boys:

* Cainan
* Havoc
* Hypnos
* Quidel
* Cobalt
Inventor
#5 Old 30th May 2011 at 10:06 AM
# 4

Random Name Generator is my Sim naming God! http://kleimo.com/random/name.cfm -- "The random name generator uses data from the US Census to
randomly generate male and female names" -- "- 142,221,055 Random names served" a lot of names! Plus the cool thing about it, is that you can set a personalised obscure factor to bring up common names, or crayzay names, or a little bit of both.

Anyway, sorry for going on. P: Here's my batch:

Male:
MANUAL (Man-you-al, not: man-you'll)
HOSEA
PALMER
PORTER

Female:
DELL
SKYE
SUELLEN
GIANOPULOS - Is actually a name, rofl, those poor children.
DOMINQUE
Field Researcher
#6 Old 30th May 2011 at 11:50 AM

My 'hood is fantasy/SF-literature-and-TV-based, so names stem from those universes. I use a lot of mythological names and plant names for my Harry Potter characters; I don't know if you've tried it, but Wikipedia articles, particularly lists, are really great alternatives to baby name sites. I've got a variety of lists bookmarked, from "list of nymphs" to "Kings of Sparta" to "common plants" (pull names from common names, genus, or species names.) Here are some I've already used:

Male:
Derrial
Hoban
Lycurgus
Vervain
Bracken
Roark
Hilt

Female:
Demelza
Tamsin
Kiah
Madra
Chess
Meera
Melisende
Maleficia (perfect for your evil witches!)
Dymphna
Delphinia

It's usually much easier to find/create unique female names than male names.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th May 2011 at 12:18 PM
Female
Erynn
Alira
Celeste
Elizabella
Irati
Aspen
Bethany
Norah
Finley
Morgaine
Harrielle
Daena
Madelise
Sunday

Male
Kelton
Reid
Abram
Roman
Cale
Marius
Rhett
Remus
Nilo
Scout
Ridge
Leon

Well these aren't exactly very unique but they're uncommon. I write down every uncommon name that I come across because of sims Unique boy's names are harder to come by though.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#8 Old 30th May 2011 at 5:21 PM
I love using ancient Greek/Roman names for legacies, they seem to fit better than 'regular' names.

Male:

Adrastos
Pan
Lykos
Evander
Orestes

Female:

Minerva
Theia
Persephone
Ariadne
Medea

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:37 PM
Zumppe-
I love that name, Astra.(:

Saturnfly-
I like the name Dell.(: It's different, yet simple.

Julieryc-
Vervain. I love names that start with odd letters.(: Such as w, v, or z. Especially a male's name. I always have such a hard time thinking up unique male names. ):

wlionrjl-
I love Reid, Marius, and Aspen. I'd use Aspen for a female in a family who loves to garden.(: (Nature freak) But, I do not own seasons, so It'll just be a cool name. :D

Bellasaurus-
Persephone. I love it.
Also, I am a fan of ancient Greek names for legacies as well. I honestly don't know why. :3

Nym

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Forum Resident
#10 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:42 PM
a really great site i use is 20000-names.com its got names from all over the world and different languages and special categories as well
Space Pony
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nym
And please, don't include links to unique baby name sites. I know about those and I'm pretty sure alot of other members do too. I just think it'd be nice to have them all here, in one place.(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleClawDesigns
a really great site i use is 20000-names.com its got names from all over the world and different languages and special categories as well

I know there are sites around. But that's not what I asked for.
Thanks anyways,

Nym

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:08 PM
would names of characters from "Macbeth" help?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:25 PM
I was going to list some of my own favorite names, but then I saw the name Nevaeh, so I decided it would be better to devote this post to discouraging you from using that name. Eeeeeewwwww! That's far and away the fugliest name I've seen in my entire life.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:29 PM
Banned
DELETED POST
30th May 2011 at 8:05 PM
This message has been deleted by Extensa5420.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th May 2011 at 9:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.M.A.A.
would names of characters from "Macbeth" help?

If you consider them unique, then sure.(:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Instructor
#16 Old 30th May 2011 at 9:34 PM
I usually use names that I think are appropriate for the characters' cultures, or just names that I think are pretty. Often literary. Yeah, @M.M.A.A., I'd go with Fleance and Banquo for sure.

That said, I'm going to make my adoption pool and name the kids after the worst things I can find from the Bad Baby Names site. Especially names that come with their own pronunciation guides.

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Jerica (JAIR ick uh)
Kamrei (KAM ree)
Karis (kuh REESE)
Kaylana (kay LAW nuh)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th May 2011 at 9:45 PM
Boys:
Macbeth
Duncan
Malcolm
Donalbain
Banquo
Fleance
Macduff
Lenox
Ross
Seyton
Siward

Girls:
Hecate
The rest are "Lady something", as in wife of the name mentioned.

That's all i found, hope i helped
Field Researcher
#18 Old 30th May 2011 at 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpldmff
I was going to list some of my own favorite names, but then I saw the name Nevaeh, so I decided it would be better to devote this post to discouraging you from using that name. Eeeeeewwwww! That's far and away the fugliest name I've seen in my entire life.

It's really popular right now, at least judging from what I've seen working in pediatrics. I hate it because, if it's supposed to be "Heaven" backwards, people usually spell it wrong. (Also, if you want to name your kid Heaven, what's wrong with naming them Heaven? I've seen a ton of Neveah variants, but never a child named Heaven.) And "Nivea" is a brand of skin cream.

Though that gives me an idea...children named for prescription drugs! I've never actually done it in-game, but sometimes doing flashcards I think, "This would actually be a great made-up fantasy kind of name, if it wasn't an antipsychotic/birth control pill/blood pressure medication/etc." (Not that you'd ever want to do this with a child in real life. *shudders*)

Based off that idea...

Male names:
Temodar
Astelin
Benicar
Travatan
Micardis
Kadian
Xalatan
Diovan
Prandin
Vytorin
Lantus
Crestor
Forteo
Atacand
Geodon
Norvir
Diovan
Elmiron
Detrol

Female:
Kariva
Xeloda
Mirena
Byetta
Pentasa
Kaletra
Lialda
Allegra
Aldara
Avandia
Vivelle
Lyrica
Lunesta
Namenda
Opana
Avinza
Evista
Zetia
Januvia
Fentora
Amitiza
Tarceva
Spiriva
Propecia
Zyprexa
Keppra
Humira
Boniva
Femara

I was going to edit this to add the post number, as OP requested, but then I noticed: OP, we don't need to number our posts, you can tell the post number by looking in the upper right-hand corner of each post.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 30th May 2011 at 11:33 PM
i think she wanted us to number our posts since not all of them have lists of names, i think..., meaning numbering those only with lists of names.
Instructor
#20 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:05 AM
Shakespearean names are great. Skipping "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Romeo and Juliet", since Maxis already used those:

Girls:
Beatrice
Bianca
Desdemona
Hero
Katherina
Miranda
Ophelia
Viola

Boys:
Ariel
Benedick
Caliban
Claudio
Dogberry
Horatio
Laertes
Orsino
Prospero
Mad Poster
#21 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:15 AM
to SimMegaptera:
there r some that had been already used from those u included and isn't Ariel a girl's name ?
Field Researcher
#22 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:46 AM
More from Earth Children Clan of the Cave Bear

Guys

Broud
Durc
Brac (some guys are just a decoration)
Zoug
Droog
Dorv
Goov
Grod
Crug
Groob

Gals:

Oga
Ovra (Family)
Ika
Ona (Fortune)
Aga

That's it for the first book...funny how so many girl's name end in "a" even in fiction.
Instructor
#23 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.M.A.A.
to SimMegaptera:
there r some that had been already used from those u included and isn't Ariel a girl's name ?

Right, a few repeats, sorry.

For what it's worth, Ariel in "The Tempest" was male. He was some kind of sprite or fairy, but still male.

The Hebrew name Ariel means "lion of God". It's usually used for boys (think of Israel's former prime minister Ariel Sharon) but can also be used for girls.

I suspect it wasn't popular as a girl's name (Hebrew or otherwise) until Disney used it for their Little Mermaid.
Instructor
#24 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 9:43 AM
Hah. I can make one wich seems unique to most of you, but really isnt very.....These are names I like anyway.
All are actual names, but not the popular for the generation born now apart from Arvid, Tindra. edit: when I say generation born now I talk about Real Life of course! In sims anything goes

Girls:
Tindra =tindra is a word and would mean something like glimmer? sparkle? I think
Ronja = a made-up name by one of our writers. She took apart a placename (Juronjaure) an voila! a name
Ingegärd = Ing is the name of one of the old gods and gärd/gerd is enclosed /fenced in
Ylva = a female wolf
Linnea = linnea is a flower named after our botanist Linné

Boys:
Birger =helper
Sten = stone
Love = a short form of Ludvig
Finnmark (definately an odd name, name of a fiddler...his sons also fiddlers died some 10 years ago and they were oooooold), Finn = wanderer
Arvid =eagle +forrest/tree
Instructor
#25 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 4:40 AM
Boys:

Guillaume
Nicephorus
Piotr
Anton
Gwynn
Eldridge
Ambrose
Bran/Bram
Bedevere
Egan
Yngvar
Snorri

Girls:

Ludmilla
Sinead
Ygrainne
Hulde
Svetlana
Raisa
Elspeth
Rhiannwn
Nimue
Bronwen
Eris
Yngrid

From Simonut: Here is my take on if Sims 2 is losing popularity or not, If you offer or give a monkey a banana will he take it even if the banana is green or yellow ? Whatever new games EA put out there like the Sims3 some human somewhere will buy it.
Page 1 of 2

Section jump