Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 7:49 PM
Default EIG Crashing After Generations Installed
I want to see if anyone else is having this issue or knows of a possible solution... CAW has been working just fine for me - then I installed Generations. Redownloaded CAW and got it to where it would open up and what not. Started a new world and have not been doing anything out of the ordinary in terms of world creation. And then today I go to start building within the lots in EIG and going to save causes a crash saying that saving has failed. I have no idea why this is happening, and like I said I have done nothing out of the ordinary. Saving in just CAW works fine, its just in EIG that is causing it to fail.

Any ideas? Can anyone else verify that they have Generations installed and are NOT experiencing this issue?

I have LAA taken care of, my computer is way beyond specs necessary... frustrated and clueless! Gr!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 9:14 PM
I just replied on the EA thread, then came here to see if anyone had any info. lol

I opened a new, small world, then attempted to go into EIG. It took about 5 min.with a black screen before it even started to load, then after a few more mins, the screen went black again and I got an error message stating The Sims 3 has stopped working, then back to the Caw screen.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 10:44 PM
Yup - I tried a new world too just to make sure it wasn't something in the new one and indeed it appears to be an issue. So frustrating, isn't it?! I hate how you have to be wary installing new patches or EPs because of this very issue.
Instructor
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 5:09 AM Last edited by BenC0722 : 2nd Jun 2011 at 5:35 AM.
I experienced this too. But I have good news. I have discovered a work-around.

Here's what I did, step by step:

1) Initiate or start CAW, or it's otherwise running.
2) Start up EIG.
3) Alt-Tab out of TS3/EIG.
4) Close CAW. Keep TS3/EIG running.
5) Change whatever you want in EIG.
6) Save in EIG.
7) Close TS3.
8) Open the world in CAW to work on it more, if desired.

The changes will save.

The technical reason why the save failed? Well, only one program may have a file open at any given time. As CAW had the files open, TS3/EIG couldn't write to them. Solution? Close CAW.

Before, CAW "released" the files (so CAW didn't have them open) after EIG started, but the latest version didn't do that for some reason.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 6:09 AM
Interesting'

I'll try that and see how it works.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 8:57 PM
I actually tried that out and as a matter of fact, it did work! When I Alt-Tabbed out of EIG, I was surprised to see my world within CAW still there - normally when you load EIG that screen is blue so... I did try this out and it in fact worked. I will add these details to my posts about it on the Sims 3 forums - thank you very much!
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 12:37 PM
hi everyone,

I have the same problem but what do you mean with EIG? I'm not very good with computers.

wait does EIG mean: edit in game?
Instructor
#8 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by welcome123
wait does EIG mean: edit in game?

Yes, EIG means the Edit In Game option within CAW.

When run, TS3 will start up so you can edit the lots of your world, but it starts up in such a way that you can't start a new game or anything. When the "Save" function is used, any changes will show up in CAW when you load your world again.
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 6:23 PM
thank you so much! it works :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 11:23 PM
Thanks for this information, BenC0722!
Retired
retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 5:37 AM
Thank you very, very, very much!

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#12 Old 5th Jul 2011 at 8:54 AM
have 1.11.10 and reports that this fix work. Gosh you guys are a godsend.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#13 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 1:56 AM
When did they update to 1.11.10? Hmm, time stamp on the .exe shows 06/04
So, this version of CAW has EIG that works with no Generations installed?

Or both 1.11.09 and 1.11.10 are no good as long as you do not have Generations? If anybody can confirm then I don't have to uninstall GEN to test.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 2:33 AM
Wish I had seen this before a complete uninstall/reinstall. I thought it had something to do with the 4Gs of CC I had in my game so I'm presently building with only EA store content and a handful of CC. Haven't had any "saving" in EIG problems since. But now I know I can do this if the save ever fails again.
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 2:13 PM
I've been having the same problem - CAW works just fine, but when I try to save in EIG mode, I get the "save failed" message. I followed the advice of BenC0722 (closed CAW while in EIG), and was able to save (I got the "save successful" message). But when I then tried to open the newly saved world file in CAW, a message saying "unable to load file" popped up. It appeared the the world file and all backup files somehow became corrupted.

Luckily I had another backup of the world file, so I was able to reinstall CAW and open my world.

After a while I tried the EIG mode again, and the same thing happened all over again. After being forced to reinstall CAW for the second time, I just don't know what to do. I can't add houses or edit the world in any way while in EIG, since it won't save.

Advice?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 7:03 PM
Theludwig, try some of the suggestions here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

Check that you are fully patched and have the latest version of CAW, too.
Test Subject
#17 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 9:41 AM
Well, I've tried deleting game caches and CAW caches, but it didn't change anything.
My game is fully patched, but I don't have the latest version of CAW - thing is, I don't have Town Life Stuff, and it seemed that the new version of CAW required it to work.
I have the previous one - the one released after Generations. The latest one didn't work.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 7:52 PM
A lot of people have had an issue with the town life patch, and most of them have been resolved by using Kiritra's method of changing the caw versions. in this thread http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=450303 If I were you I'd install the latest version of caw, and do this workaround. It really only takes a few minutes to do a reinstall of Caw, clearing your cache files in between. This thread has the same workaround with pictures. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...18.page#5978211
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 9:04 PM
theludwig, could you please check out the link I gave you again, please? I already had the advice and links that auntielynds has give you in that thread, but it seems it wasn't clear as several people have missed it. So I've rewritten it a little to put the more common problems near the top, could you please see if it makes more sense?

Thanks for saving things again, auntielynds!
Test Subject
#20 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 10:00 AM
auntielynds, I don't understand - to do the workaround, am I supposed to install the latest CAW version, that was released with Town Life Stuff (the one that didn't work for me at all)? And then edit the default file?

And this will solve the problem of not being able to save in EIG (or being able to save in EIG after closing CAW, but thus corrupting all the files)???
Forum Resident
#21 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 9:49 PM
What I'm saying is this has worked for most people. When you say it didn't work at all, what exactly was it doing? Did you get the error message that the versions were incompatible? Did it just not open at all? Do you have LAA installed and linked up to Caw correctly?
Test Subject
#22 Old 11th Sep 2011 at 11:44 AM
I installed the latest version of CAW, and changed the default file like you said, and it finally works! I am now able to open CAW and use it, and save in EIG mode.

Thank you so much!

Forum Resident
#23 Old 11th Sep 2011 at 11:52 PM
Yay!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 7:24 PM
The problem I have is that it claims to save when I am in eig mode but when I go back into caw the objects and lots are missing. I then go back into eig and still objects and lots are missing does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening ?
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 9:58 PM
yesme88: Sounds like your EIG isn't really saving this could be from CAW keeping the files locked when you start EIG witch seams to happen a lot. You could try my tool here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453161 to open EIG and see if it saves. If it does then it's most likely CAW holding on to the files. Also look at this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3513489 and this thread is about EIG Crashing after Generations Installed where your post is about it not saveing so you should start your own thead or post in http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3513489
Page 1 of 2