Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 49 (Who?), Viewed: 25424 times.
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 1:51 PM
Default Daycare profession
How are you guys liking daycare, if you've played it? I'm surprised by how much I enjoy it, given that my Sims don't generally even like their own toddlers, much less other people's toddlers. But it's been really fun. I'm only up to level 4 in the daycare profession, though. Maybe it'll get boring and repetitive from here.

My only thought is that I wish the game wouldn't spawn babies out of nowhere to place in daycare. I think my game actually has enough toddlers from Sims I created versus NPCs to populate my daycare, but half of the kids are usually NPCs' children.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 2:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsim
How are you guys liking daycare, if you've played it? I'm surprised by how much I enjoy it, given that my Sims don't generally even like their own toddlers, much less other people's toddlers. But it's been really fun. I'm only up to level 4 in the daycare profession, though. Maybe it'll get boring and repetitive from here.

My only thought is that I wish the game wouldn't spawn babies out of nowhere to place in daycare. I think my game actually has enough toddlers from Sims I created versus NPCs to populate my daycare, but half of the kids are usually NPCs' children.

I love the daycare. My sim reached the top of the career. (It only goes to level 5) I like that the kids go home at the end of the day. You can enjoy children and then have a peaceful house afterwards. Just like real life. I don't like that she only gets paid 500 a week for the top salary. I also don't like that she had a baby and had to take off work afterwards. She is a daycare operator, she can handle a baby and kids. I just love this game all together.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 4:40 PM
I tried it and I really liked it, but then my sim got married so I asked for time off for a couple of days to get her and her new husband all settled in together. Then they had kids so she was forced to take time off of work (which I thought was weird). So by the time you add together the days off that come with the profession, the time taken off for the wedding, and the maternity leave, she had like 10 days before her next work day and by the time it came up I didn't feel like messing with children so she changed careers. I'm thinking of making one of her children who won't be heir start the profession again and wait before she/he gets married or has children so I can appreciate the job a little more. x)

I really liked that you could just hover over the toddlers and it would say what mood they were in and what your sim could do to make them happier. It was more helpful than just waiting around for them to start crying and trying to guess what was wrong.
Test Subject
#4 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 4:46 PM
how big of a lot is ideal to be day care, and what sort of items or furniture are essential?
Forum Resident
#5 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 5:28 PM
Mine was working great until I moved the house and the family I was using with the daycare profession to a different neighbourhood. Now the toddlers that my sim is looking after randomly vanish. It doesn't seem to be linked to anything. So I might hold off on that career for a while.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 10:35 PM
Silencer, I played on a 30x40 home lot and just made sure I had toddler toys and furniture in a small area off of the living room which served as my daycare room. I had the play table, the doll house, a toy box, some odd stuffed animals and toys strewn about, and the logic box and the xylophone thing for all my toddlers, and I'd probably recommend adding a toy oven and a costume chest as you move up the ranks and start getting children. It also helps to have some stuff to play with outside (I had a slip-n-slide and a sandbox). Basically, for entertainment, just have a ton of stuff to keep the kids entertained. Even popping a small television in the room and turning it onto the kids station is helpful - quite a few times I'd catch my toddlers in front of the dancing rabbit on screen. As for furniture, I kept two high chairs, one potty chair, a crib, and two strollers. I never needed to use the crib, though.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer
how big of a lot is ideal to be day care, and what sort of items or furniture are essential?

Having played through the Daycare Profession and reaching the top, I made due with very little in a very cramped space (Though, it was a pain-in-the-ass routing my Sim and the toddlers around so that I could take care of them because of this. For this reason I would suggest a large space with the furniture/toys spread out for your Daycare Room/Area).

I can honestly say as long as you have four activities for toddlers (as the largest amount of toddlers you'll have is four) and a computer for the Children you can at least make it to the top of the career. With this setup, I've found it impossible to get any of the Children in a Great Mood when they go home, but they at least make it. I would suggest more stuff for Children since they're only there for about 2 1/2 hours which makes them very difficult to tend to on top of all the toddlers. It's quite a challenging career, which I kind of enjoy.
Instructor
#8 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 1:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_fairy
Mine was working great until I moved the house and the family I was using with the daycare profession to a different neighbourhood. Now the toddlers that my sim is looking after randomly vanish. It doesn't seem to be linked to anything. So I might hold off on that career for a while.

mine vanish, too, after like 1 or 2 hours, but only on the first day after loading the game.
the continues workdays the kids stay as they should and everything seems normal.
thought it was connected with a mod, but after removing it the problem still remains.
i also gave her a new job and will re-start the daycare profession some other time to see how it goes.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 12:56 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to enroll your toddlers in daycare? I've been wanting to with a toddler of mine, who's in a single-parent household. She's gotten very close with Peyton Suzuki or whatever her name is, though, who is the regular nanny. I'd just love to have her in daycare so she could meet other kids.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson
Field Researcher
#10 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 1:14 PM
Quote:

I have the 60 x 60 lot. I have lots of things for my kids to do. The issue with a big lot and lots of toys and things is that I can't find the kids now and then. I have to scroll all over the place and try and find them. I am like I know there is a toddler around here some place. I have to pause the game and look for them. I wish you could click on their picture in your relationship panel and it will find them. I have toys in my sim daughter's room and that is on the other side of the house. The daycare room is filled with toys and they want to go to the daughters room and play with her toys.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 2:46 PM
Quote:

I've done it in a 10x10 lot with a house with no problems at all. But it was impossible to do in an apartment. The routing still sucks, which means the daycare provider will take the kid all the way downstairs to give him a bottle or teach him to walk, etc.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 3:10 PM
I've been playing it on a 20x30 lot where the downstairs is set up like a daycare centre and the upstairs is a flat. It works fine. Got a big play area, a kitchen, and a garden and that's plenty of room.

I'm actually really enjoying playing this profession. I'm surprised how much fun it is and how quickly the days pass. I also really like that the sim who runs it is now friends with all the kids she's looked after, and that parents send her gifts for doing a good job. It's surprisingly fun.

My Sims 3 stories blog - *NEW* Heather Legacy
My Sims 3 CC blog || My MTS page
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 4:00 PM
Jenny: unfortunately, players can't put their kids in daycare. They can only run one. :/
Test Subject
#14 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:02 AM
I saw the daycare profession pop up when my sim checked the newspaper - didn't even know this was an option in the new EP. Very keen to try it out! I'm supposing a family sim will really get a kick out of this (or I could be mean and choose a sim who "hates kids" - *evil chuckle*)
Scholar
#15 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 3:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinzombie
Jenny: unfortunately, players can't put their kids in daycare. They can only run one. :/

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! So... if I make a daycare in my world, put a sim I created in there and get her to the top of her field, switch to my regular family, they can't bring their kids to the daycare before they go to work?!?!?!?! If that's true then it's positively lame. I'm already disappointed. I was hoping this would take the place of my live-in nannies.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:03 PM
My daycare is now bugged. My Sim has gotten WAY more than 10 days off and yet everytime I switch back to her household, she still has 5 days until work, or 3 days, then 5 days again... weird.
Scholar
#17 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:07 PM
I tried daycare for about oooooooooooh two days? Well, until I got RSI from changing/clicking all those smelly bums ..

jk .. It certainly does make the days go fast, but it's not really me. A nice change and a nice addition to the game I think.

Beware! The day I get a Featured Upload on MTS is the day you will be able to ice skate in Hell!
Instructor
#18 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:51 PM
My sim was off work in the dayecare profession for a LONG TIME. She got married, then had three kids, then her stepson graduated from high school. So in total she had about 20 days off. When the time finally ran out, no kids showed up. Weird, because I know there are at least children in the neighborhood. I didn't get any messages about her work day starting or anything. So she had to quit. It sucked because she was almost at level five!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:18 PM
I had Judy Bunch start one. After 1 day, she and her husband got a free vacation. I let them go, so Lisa could party. Judy never had any kids show up after that.

[SIZE=3]
"I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?"

~Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986
[/SIZE]
Field Researcher
#20 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:35 PM
I LOVED THE DAYCARE PROFESSION! I hated how I got maternity leave though. I can understand when she's pregnant, because my preggoSims need their rest, but once she has the kid, it's just like juggling another day care kid!

What I don't like is how shitty of a mood the kids always come in. Honestly? Everytime one comes in, they ALWAYS have a messy diaper, starving to death, lonely and having no fun. Do the parents even take them into the house when they get home or just dump them on the lawn then go play computer games for 3028402134810234 hours? And I wish there was a "My wife and I got a free vacation! Can you keep the kids for two days?" option. That would be an awesome challenge!

Life Stage: Teen Traits: Hopeless Romantic, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato, Shy Partner: Ted
School: High School Career: Writing; Fan Fiction Drafter Miscellaneous: Rich; Scorpio
Test Subject
#21 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 9:09 PM
Yeah I don't know if anyone else has this but 2 days out of the past 4 on the game, I've had a toddler who hasn't been picked up, but the mood thing disappears, so I have to wait for the kid to cry to know what's wrong with it. It's really irritating, I don't need kids hanging around until the next shift of work when my sims have their own kids and lives.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 11:06 PM
I had that problem before. I ended up taking the kid to the park, one last diaper change and gave it food before returning home, then it came back the next day and then was picked up.

Life Stage: Teen Traits: Hopeless Romantic, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato, Shy Partner: Ted
School: High School Career: Writing; Fan Fiction Drafter Miscellaneous: Rich; Scorpio
Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 3:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieposiepudnpie
I have the 60 x 60 lot. I have lots of things for my kids to do. The issue with a big lot and lots of toys and things is that I can't find the kids now and then. I have to scroll all over the place and try and find them. I am like I know there is a toddler around here some place. I have to pause the game and look for them. I wish you could click on their picture in your relationship panel and it will find them. I have toys in my sim daughter's room and that is on the other side of the house. The daycare room is filled with toys and they want to go to the daughters room and play with her toys.

I've got a trick. To keep the toddlers in one room I use as the daycare room, in the entrance of the arch into the room, I placed a 1x2 platform.
Anyone can carry the babies in or out of the room if they want to, but I've never had one leave on its own. = Yay, no lost babies around the house! lol
Field Researcher
#24 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 2:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberann1011
I've got a trick. To keep the toddlers in one room I use as the daycare room, in the entrance of the arch into the room, I placed a 1x2 platform.
Anyone can carry the babies in or out of the room if they want to, but I've never had one leave on its own. = Yay, no lost babies around the house! lol

Nice idea. I spend more time looking for toddlers than playing the game. I pause the game look for the kid, take care of the needs. Then I pause and look for the others the same way.
Destroyer of Worlds
staff: moderator
#25 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 2:52 PM
I suppose what would have been nice with all these new features (and what would probably work well for Pets too when it comes out) is one of the baby gates you put in doorways.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Page 1 of 2

Section jump