Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 5:31 PM
Default Edit in game starts Sims3Launcher then nothing happens
I patched the game (outdoor living stuff) to the latest version a few days ago and when I today tried to use the Create a world Edit in game function, the screen turns blue, then it just starts Sims3launcher.exe, return to the editor view and nothing else happens.
Starting the game from the launcher just starts the game like normal.
I have not seen any other problems with CAW or the game in general, it just appears to not read/export (or whatever it does) the world file properly or opens the wrong program.

I have tried to completely reinstall the game as well as Create A World and cleared cache/custom content from my documents (the whole Electronic arts folder at one point to be sure).
The situation is the same with brand new worlds that have no roads, objects or lots or just a few of them. Changing sims3launcher or removing it does not produce any different effect except launcher not opening, or another program starting, no errors or anything

I could not find anything like it in the stickies here nor using google so I thought I would post about it and see if anyone got any ideas for something I can try except wait for a patch.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 12:06 AM
backup your CAW user files, uninstall CAW, redownload CAW from the EA site and then install the newly downloaded CAW. More details and other things to try here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

Let us know if it works!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 2:28 PM
Unfortionately no, no luck so far. I managed to make the toolset crash repeatedly at one point, but I guess that is not a success

An interesting thing however is that I tried to install the tool through parallels on my macbook pro (god that takes time). I get the same problem there with a brand new install with no preexisting files to mess things up at all and hardly any similarities in terms of hardware or software.
I guess either I got some corrupted setup files on one of my discs or the game combination I have just does not like each other.

Might be EA's way of saying "go get Generations"

btw thanks for your help, really appreciate it

Edit: also having reinstalled the complete game 4 times now it kinda feels like the game is rolling a dice to decide what to do as two times it downloaded a roughly 650mb patch on top of the Outdoor living and a small 6.5mb patch, the other two it only took the 6.5mb one
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 5:25 PM
Perhaps that's it then- try patching all of your EPs and SPs with the latest patches, and then redownloading and installing CAW again. The way the game executables work has changed with this latest patch, so it sounds like something has gone wrong there. Latest patches here:
Mac:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...load/CurrentOSX
PC:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ownload/Current
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:52 PM
Did a complete reinstall (had uninstalled it yesterday so I had to ) patching along the way, unfortionately this had no discernible effect on CAW.
However I also picked up Generations and after installing it CAW works like before, EIG launches fine.
I guess this means that some installations of Outdoor living is just not compatible with CAW
Again thanks for the help diagnosing the problem even if the solution appears to be "Get Generations"
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 6:24 PM
Actually, I'm having this same problem, and I don't have Outdoor Living stuff. :\

Several people are having this problem...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:18 PM
Actually I also tried reverting back to Latenight at one point with the same result. So I agree, they messed it up for several patch versions with the latest update.
As it is right now I think the only solution to this problem is either to wait for an update or upgrade to Generations.
Someone might also be able to do something with the CAW control files, but personally when I looked I found nothing that looked usable
Test Subject
#8 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 7:15 AM
Well, at least there appears to be a solution, albeit a very ironic one. BUY MOAR EA PRODUCTS to fix the sh*t they broke. Great marketing strategy. :P
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 11:34 PM
D'oh, EA are being very sneaky! I don't have the latest updates on my PC yet, but my daughter put Generations on her game and the executables are completely different, with the game running from an exe in the basegame install location (TS3W.exe). So perhaps the latest update doesn't give this executable change without generations.

In that case, CAW will be looking for an exe that isn't there, which is probably why it's opening the wrong thing. I doubt there is anything you could do about that, so it looks like EA has checkmate.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 11:10 PM
OH MAN SERIOUSLY? I got the same issue, and I really wanted to finish my world before installing Generations (so that I could upload the world without it requiring Generations). Now I need to install it (because who knows how long they'll take to fix this, if they'll fix this at all!) and resist the urge of using any objects from it... Nice one again from EA. : P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 11:30 PM
Personally I would not count on them fixing it, atleast not unless it is a simple thing to do and even then not before any other needed upgrades makes them make a patch.
After all CAW is labelled as being beta software and given that it is offered for free I do not think they have much incentive to upgrade it.

Maybe an option is to try and get hold of the February release of CAW (v. 1.11.04 I think) and rolling back to that patch (1.19 for base game), that way you might be able to get it to work.
Tracking it down however might be hard, I tried it but could only find the september 2010 version, you might have more luck than me though
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 11:23 AM
I'm also having this problem as well. I have Base-Game, WA, Amb & LN patched to the latest version. 6.5.1.011031 but I haven't pick up generations yet. Edit... nvm I saw the solution in earlier post. Buy Generations.
Instructor
#13 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aurica
I'm also having this problem as well. I have Base-Game, WA, Amb & LN patched to the latest version. 6.5.1.011031 but I haven't pick up generations yet. Edit... nvm I saw the solution in earlier post. Buy Generations.

Prior to the release of Generations, and patch 1.22, I wonder if anyone was able to use CAW without LN installed...

(I have all EPs and SPs)
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 6:13 PM
I'm with the same problem, I'm editing Sunset Valley, when (or if) I finish it I post here
Test Subject
#15 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BenC0722
Prior to the release of Generations, and patch 1.22, I wonder if anyone was able to use CAW without LN installed...

(I have all EPs and SPs)

Yes, I didn't get LN or WA until just before Generations was released, and I could use CAW just fine. It wasn't until the Generations patch that it stopped working.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 12:00 AM
I had WA, AMB & LN installed and never bothered with manual downloading patch for updating the base-game for generations (memories / bodyhair / adjustable age duration). CAW & EIG still worked pretty well for me then.

It wasn't until the launcher prompted me to download an update for 6.5.1.. which I did of course. This cause some patch incompatiblity issue and TS3 would not run at all, manually downloading the patch 1.22 for base game allowed TS3 to run again. but also prevented EIG from working as well.

So yea, I would think 1.22 is the culprit here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aurica

You should be able to roll back to patch 1.19 and CAW 1.11.04 and get it to work.
just ensure that your content is still the 1.19 version or it might not work properly.

If you do this you might consider uninstalling the entire game and reinstalling as I had some problems with errors when I tried to roll back to an older patch by just patching on top of the game. Also you might need to have someone send you CAW 1.11.04 as tracking it down online is about as easy as finding the Loch ness monster.

naturally in the end it is a matter of what is most important to you, patch 1.22 or CAW
Instructor
#18 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GloamingMerle
Yes, I didn't get LN or WA until just before Generations was released, and I could use CAW just fine. It wasn't until the Generations patch that it stopped working.

In retrospect, that makes sense.

The concept of the TS3W.exe file didn't exist prior to Generations. I can't help but think that has something to do with it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Praecipua
I had some problems with errors when I tried to roll back to an older patch by just patching on top of the game.

That is definitely not advised- the newer patch may have amended files which the older patch did not touch. So in that case you would get a Frankenstein's monster of a game version.

Definitely reinstall if you wish to undo the effects of a patch.
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 3:11 PM
I have also the problem of edit in game starts sims 3 launcher. I have The Sims 3 Late Night and World Adventures with patch 2.14.4 and 6.2.4.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Sorry for bad English.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#21 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 4:09 PM
Alle: the only known solutions are to reinstall your game and the older version of CAW or else to install Generations.

More detail here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post3513489
Test Subject
#22 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Alle: the only known solutions are to reinstall your game and the older version of CAW or else to install Generations.

More detail here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post3513489

Okay, are fixing Generations now and will see if it works then.
Thanks
Test Subject
#23 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 12:30 PM
it was solved when I installed Generations, thanks
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 9:20 PM
Well that's good news that you fixed it, but a big BOOOO to EA for making us buy the EP!
Test Subject
#25 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 2:09 PM
GOD DAMN YOU EA.
I am also having this issue. I can not afford and do not want generations, from what ive seen of it, its crap and a very big disappointment. i only have WA and amb and am trying to save up to get pets but there's no chance im going to get generations. I really wish they would make sure this stuff works properly before they put it out in the public domain, Ive spent ages creating a world and now its useless cos I cant put any building in it.
Thanks EA for ruining my day, AGAIN!