Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 38 (Who?), Viewed: 7115 times.
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:20 AM
Default Is it just me, or does anybody else feel bothered by this social option?
"Ask to leave"

I almost HATE making my guests go, especially if it's a close friend or family, when my Sim REALLY needs them to GTFO. It feels SOOO unfriendly and kind of rude. I only see the goodbye option when they're socializing in public.

Life Stage: Teen Traits: Hopeless Romantic, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato, Shy Partner: Ted
School: High School Career: Writing; Fan Fiction Drafter Miscellaneous: Rich; Scorpio
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:33 AM
Ugggh, I hate that option! It sounds really rude. I don't know why the goodbye option is only usable in public, it's strange.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:34 AM
Me too! I always feel guilty because I can't help but imagine being "asked to leave" myself and how rejected I would feel.
Instructor
#4 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:39 AM
i never use the option, unless its a sim that wasnt really wanted anyway...but even then.
it would be better if it was replaced with a simple 'goodbye'.
maybe a mod will take care of it one day.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:54 AM
I usually try not to use it if I can help it.
In real life, if it's too late or something, I start getting ready for bed and hope guests get the hint. So, in the game I go with this route too.
I think I'd also feel better about it if it were labeled "Say goodbye". x_x
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 1:47 AM
Haha I was thinking this just the other day. It's so impersonal. I use it but think it should be 'Goodbye' for friends.

My Sims 3 stories blog - *NEW* Heather Legacy
My Sims 3 CC blog || My MTS page
Theorist
#7 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 2:03 AM
The animation for it is the same as the goodbye one, so I don't mind using it. But usually I prefer to have my sim go to bed and the guest can leave whenever they 'want'.
A social option I tend to avoid is Charming Introduction because I don't like the stupid look that the other sim gets on their face.

Without music, life would be a mistake. - F. Nietzsche
Field Researcher
#8 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 2:25 AM
Ack, I hate this interaction. I can almost hear the conversation going on between two Sims and one wants the other to leave:

"So, I'm growing some potatoes in my yard, they're very fresh, I use a special kind of fertil-"
"I want you to leave."
"Um.. okay..."

i am spiders georg
Instructor
#9 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 2:53 AM
I hate using it too. And you'd think with all the griping simmers have done about it, the inumerable patches and 3 EP's (4?) later, they could have fixed this. I'm just guessing they (the Sims Team) were raised by SimBots who didn't know anything about manners.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:32 AM
It definitely sounds weird - it doesn't make sense. xD

I think EA took the lazy road with this. A sim came over to my sim's house and she made her first enemy. There was arguing, yelling, slapping, declaring of nemeses. When "asked to leave," do you know what happened?

"Okay! Bye! ^_^" *WAVE*

Oh, come on.

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Forum Resident
#11 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:47 AM
YES. I miss the "Say Goodbye To" from The Sims 2. Even if the Sims aren't real, I still feel like I need to be polite. It drives me insane.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Instructor
#12 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:59 AM
The last time I used this option the vampire William Fangman decided to sponge bath himself and check himself out in the mirror in my sims apartments' single bathroom. He wouldn't leave, he was preening himself and looking rather nice for a bunch of pixels. (He was really buffed). Sadly, it became late in the evening and he was still in there in his undies, which was simply creepy. I had my sim ask him to leave.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 5:17 AM
Too rude? Bah, I want a "Throw Out" option for all of those smelly sims that bring mac and cheese at EVERY party.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 5:28 AM
I also think it's too rude, if you are friendly with the person. So, now if it's possible, I'll usually give them a friendly hug, before asking them to leave. Somehow it makes it less bad, because of that one nice interaction before it.
Scholar
#15 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 6:58 AM
I think I've used it only once or twice in my whole life, because I know I'd take as rude if it were done to me. Intellectually. I know that Sims have different cultural norms -- for example, they really take it in stride if someone runs off without saying goodbye, so the lack of a "Goodbye" option might not weigh so heavily on them as it does on us. And yet, I can't shake the feeling that "Ask to Leave" would somehow be picking a fight.

Ronnie de Noube / Blog and Comic: http://ronniethesim.com
Do you like tea? Go and like this tea & antique shop of Nymphetamine's cute uncle.
Squee if you love Fenton
Doilyrific Diabolical Disagreer who lives under a rock
#16 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 9:40 AM
Yeah it *feels* uncomfortable. But it never dents their relationship.
Scholar
#17 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 9:43 AM
I think the best work around could be the addition of a genuinely harsh 'get out of my house!' then the 'ask to leave' would feel a little more gentle and friendly, but I agree, it does feel very rude and unnecessarily cold.

Beware! The day I get a Featured Upload on MTS is the day you will be able to ice skate in Hell!
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
11th Jun 2011 at 10:19 AM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#18 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 10:56 AM
You know it's exactly the same interaction, right? It's just a label. I prefer "Make Bugger Off", anyway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 11:46 AM
You're all too nice. When I want to kick them out I just "resetsim" them. It's faster.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#20 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRugger
You're all too nice. When I want to kick them out I just "resetsim" them. It's faster.
Don't do that, it's potentially damaging to game data integrity and should only be used for emergencies.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#21 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 1:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
Don't do that, it's potentially damaging to game data integrity and should only be used for emergencies.

If Pescado says so, better refrain from using resetsim too frequently then. I am guilty of that too.

"Ask to Leave" does sound rude or confrontational, but when I use that option (just for the heck of testing to see what would happen), the pop up message says something pretty polite and the sim being asked to leave also responded politely. I think "Ask to Leave" really means "Ask to leave nicely". Like Inge Jones said, it doesn't impact the relationship at all.

There is a "Shoo" option that sounds even worse. I suppose "Shoo" is only good for asking sims to leave the room so you can use the toilet or something, but I wonder why I have that option in the kitchen or living room.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 1:46 PM
I agree as well - it always sounded so impersonal. Can you imagine us asking our friends to leave after a night of movies, popcorn, and fun? "Yeah, it was a nice time. Hit the road!" I think "ask to leave" should have been more of a "You know. You're starting to bug me. Please leave." interaction between "Throw out" (as another poster suggested) and "Say goodbye."

It is definitely said in a nice way and my Sims were never worse for it - but it still sounds *so* impolite.
Site Helper
#23 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 11:52 PM
My great grandmother is said to have had a rocking chair that migrated when it rocked, so she lined it up to migrate to the front door. When someone was overstaying their welcome, she would sit and chat with them, and they got the rocking chair. When it got to the front door, she would notice that they were ready to leave, and apologize for keeping them so long. I've actually always wished for that option for sims who are overstaying their welcome. "Apologize for keeping you so long" is such a lovely form of "Ask to leave"

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *Come visit Custom Sims 3!*2013 Yearbook
Test Subject
#24 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 3:28 PM Last edited by askemagus : 12th Jun 2011 at 3:29 PM. Reason: improper grammar
I built a large pond on my sims' home lot in Sunset Valley. Now when they come home from work there are always two or three townies fishing in their private pond. Instead of "Ask To Leave" I want an option that says "What The F... Are You Doing At My House?!"

"The ice is near, the solitude is terrible."
Theorist
#25 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 3:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askemagus
I built a large pond on my sims' home lot in Sunset Valley. Now when they come home from work there are always two or three townies fishing in their private pond. Instead of "Ask To Leave" I want an option that says "What The F... Are You Doing At My House?!"

I have the same thing with the trampoline - there's usually some random sim bouncing up and down in my sim's back yard.

Without music, life would be a mistake. - F. Nietzsche
Page 1 of 2

Section jump