Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 7:55 PM Last edited by grimreefer24601 : 7th Aug 2011 at 6:37 AM. Reason: Obsolete
Default Medieval Simple Privacy/Door Locking (Obsolete with 2.0)
Hey all,

This mod enables locking of doors in the Sims Medieval. It works kind of like a real door, when it's locked no one may use it, but if it's unlocked anyone can use it.

There are two parts to this mod. A non-core portion that enables locking of doors, and an optional core portion that will make those doors save their locked state.

I am looking into other alternatives to make this mod able to lock for only certain people, but so far it doesn’t look likely.

For Modders:
It's a very simple change if you have a core mod you wish to make work with locking doors.
Simply remove the [Persistable(false)] attribute from Sims3.Gameplay.Abstracts.Door.mLocked in the GameplaySystems.dll.

Compatability
This mod is no longer necessary with 2.0, so it will not be updated.
The non-core portion should work for any version of The Sims Medieval.
This is a script mod so you must install d3dx9_31.dll in your The Sims Medieval\Game\Bin folder.
Please Refer to http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438344 for mod installation instructions and files.

The core portion will work the verison listed in the download. (Currently 1.3.13)
I will try to update as soon as new versions are available.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MedievalPrivacyDoorLocking.zip (3.6 KB, 1013 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Enables locking doors in The Sims Medieval
File Type: zip  MedievalDoorLockSavingEnabler_V_1_3_13.zip (1.69 MB, 666 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Optional Core to allow saving of locked door states
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 7:56 PM
omg i LOVE YOU!!!! installing now!!
Test Subject
#3 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:12 PM
just tested...in free mode and it works beautifully. Thank you so much!!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by delston
just tested...in free mode and it works beautifully. Thank you so much!!!

Thanks for the update. There is always the fear it won't work when you first upload an item. I'm glad you like it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 11:09 PM
Hey again,

Upon further testing of this method of locking door I've discovered a couple of things. For one, door locking does not save when you quit or load a game. This variable was specifically set by EA for some reason to not save. Also, I've not found any way to lock the door for only certain charaters. It seems without modifying a core file none of this will be available. When using a core mod it should be possible to remedy both of these problems. However, it seems from looking at the code that this may be a feature EA intends to include in future updates. Many things seem to exist, but are disabled or deleted from the engine.

I'll keep looking into ways to use this as I hope others will too.

If no other means can be found, I think I might be able to make a core mod that allows the desired functionality. I try to stay away from core mods, but it may be the only way to get this to work.

So, just FYI.
Test Subject
#6 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 2:46 PM
Yea a way to make it lockable for only certain characters would be nice and I couldn't get it to save since it's keeping me in tutorial mode while I'm in freeplay...(boggle) but yea your ideas sound good.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 5:50 PM
Great work ! Its a much nicer solution than simply barricading the doors with objects A core modsolution doesnt sound too bad For me personally,it would actually make the game much more playable
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 7:18 PM
I added a Core file which fixes at least the saving issue.

Just a question for any modders out there. Does anyone know of a way to make a List <T> actually persist a full quit and load? I can make it work for a quit to main menu, but after a quit to desktop the List is empty. If someone knows how to do it I can make the saving non-core also.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 7:30 PM
Thank you!
I am happy if I can just lock the doors while the king is with his mistress. It beats him going around for the rest of the quest with the negative invasion of privacy.

Yes it is the clothes that makes the Sim
Test Subject
#10 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 8:42 PM
thank you so much for this!!! At last a way to keep the pregnant wife at home! The first royal baby born in privacy and not in the throne room!
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 10:29 PM Last edited by grimreefer24601 : 20th Jun 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Hey all,

I seem to have found something else. Glad I've called this a test. Seems some doors aren't in a place where you can actually click on them. I've checked and it appears that if you move the door out of the wall you are able to click on it. (One I notice in particular is the one in the reading room to the left of the throne room, and another is the first floor stairway door in the knights quarters. Does anyone else have problems with these doors?) This doesn't appear to happen all the time, but it can be frustrating. Also, the doors in the mages quarters don't seem to have the interaction at all, whether moved or not.(Actually after further testing it seems to work ok. I had just added the building and the interaction didn't show, but after reloading it worked fine. In case anyone else experiances this.) If anyone else is finding similar things in other areas let me know.
Theorist
#12 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 6:24 PM
Actually I have been wondering if the mage's doors are special, in that I have never had an uninvited guest enter the mage's tower. If that were the case then we would have discovered a privacy door that did not need to be locked and unlocked.

This is great work!
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
Actually I have been wondering if the mage's doors are special, in that I have never had an uninvited guest enter the mage's tower. If that were the case then we would have discovered a privacy door that did not need to be locked and unlocked.

This is great work!

Sorry, I mentioned it in the earlier post, but you must've not seen it.

There is no issue with the mages doors except for that I had just added the building, and the mod didn't add the interaction until saved and reloaded.

I have fixed the mod to make it add the interaction when buildings are added, so it's really no longer a problem.

The one door I can never seem to get to work is the one in the reading room to the left of the throne room. I guess it's supposed to go upstairs (maybe it goes to the knights quarters), but it seems broke altogether in my game.

Another interesting thing is that the interaction seems to also get added to arches. However, even though an arch says it's locked it won't keep anyone out.

Happy simming!
Theorist
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 11:56 PM
Actually what I meant is that if you were able to look at the code for the mage's door, you might find something unique - in that I have never seen an uninvited guest enter the mage's tower. If this is a unique door perhaps its coding could be adapted to make fully automatic privacy doors throughout the game.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
Actually what I meant is that if you were able to look at the code for the mage's door, you might find something unique - in that I have never seen an uninvited guest enter the mage's tower. If this is a unique door perhaps its coding could be adapted to make fully automatic privacy doors throughout the game.

Really, as far as I have seen the code for the mages room doors is the same as any other door. If there are any differences I believe they are part of the Role tuning system. I guess it perhaps may be useful. I have noticed while looking at quests that certain roles seem to be scripted in xml, including a tendency to visit lots. The mages tower seems to encourage few roles to automatically visit in the first place. I forget the file, but it's something I load in my quest editor. If someone is seriously looking in that direction I could find the file.

As for the current direction of the mod it seems this may be as far as it can go on this exploit. Pretty much all of the ways I'm looking into expanding this mod are extremely different from it's current version.

Right now I'm looking into how The Sims 3 enabled locking doors, but it seems most of that code has been striped from Medieval. The attempts I've made at converting the code have so far been unsucessful. It's much too complicated to simply edit an IL file, but perhaps if I can make a C# core compile correctly I can add some functionality.

Really though, it may be possible, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile. The locking doors work now, all that I would be able to add is less micromanagement. I'll probably keep looking into it, because that's the kind of person I am, but this is probably as advanced as this mod will become.
Theorist
#16 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 6:46 AM
Well I do believe you've made a mod to be proud of!
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Jul 2011 at 1:25 AM
I have decided to stop calling this a test. It seems any way to expand this mod lies in different areas of the game, and so I'm no longer testing this mod. It does what it says it does. I will still update the core portion and any changes I happen to make I'll still upload, but this is pretty much the final version for this particular mod.
Instructor
#18 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 2:27 PM
you are a rock star! now people can stop coming in during woohoo and shaming my sim for being a whore! Thank you!
Test Subject
#19 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 8:04 PM
Terrific stuff! Thanks for the mod. I hate how my woohoo'ing sims keep getting interrupted.
Test Subject
#20 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 3:32 AM
Default Help - Cant get it to work
I downloaded the files and the door is not locking. I assume you just click on the door and say to lock like in TS3. I may be wrong and if I am can someone give me some assistance on how to make this mod work. I really want to use it!!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dballash
I downloaded the files and the door is not locking. I assume you just click on the door and say to lock like in TS3. I may be wrong and if I am can someone give me some assistance on how to make this mod work. I really want to use it!!!

It sounds like you probably have a problem with your installation. Please make sure you have the MedievalPrivacyDoorLocking.package in your The Sims Medieval\Mods\Packages folder. You will also need to place the d3dx9_31.dll in your The Sims Medieval\Game\Bin folder.

Please refer to http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438344 for better instructions.
Test Subject
#22 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 6:06 PM
Default Thank you!!!
Thank you very much, that was the problem it was missing the dll file. I appreciate your responding so quickly and thank you again for creating such a great and useful mad for the game! Keep up the great work we all appreciate it!!
Test Subject
#23 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 3:23 AM
Thank you! This really helps my glutton Blacksmith who needs to make large meals every morning to keep him fed and happy - yet all of his visitors steal his food!
Instructor
#24 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 1:21 PM
Shame on them! It's sooo rude to steal a hungry man's dinner! I've begun executing people for small infractions, and now this one has been added to the list of poisonable offenses!
Test Subject
#25 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 3:16 PM
If you lived in my kingdom, I would appoint you my royal adviser and not execute you :D
Page 1 of 2