Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 12 (Who?), Viewed: 494 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 1:55 AM
Default My books are banned in China
Well, not exactly mine but the ones that my Sim wrote. (He's specialized in drama - that might give you a clue or two.) He learned about it when he got an offer from a Chinese bookseller: smuggle one of the forbidden books into his country and get a nice reward. He immediately packed his things, of course, left and sure enough, the merchant was waiting for him in a remote valley in the hills (actually, there were a few thousand Chinese and tourists running up and down the path but you get the idea) and he paid him a grand for the book. - BTW, my Sim is still in China so if he gets stuck there I will at least know why.

Also: what next? Russians offering my Sim's chef wife top Simoleons for her secret spaghetti recipe? Kim Jong-un kidnapping his singer daughter? The future looks grim.

I thought that the game was supposed to stay clear of politics, religion ot any other subject that would make it seriously interesting.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 2:37 AM
You weren't really supposed to find out about that, but now that you've stumbled across it ... yes, Sims and the Chinese Communist Party are aware of each other. In fact, there is a saying: Eebie, jut sip toe magreema bahp, snore vah. Roughly (as far as can be done without the overhead subject-images), it means "If the Chinese regime considers you harmless, you probably aren't doing the best that you can."

Your book being banned means, roughly, keep up the good work.

Ronnie de Noube / Blog and Comic: http://ronniethesim.com
Do you like tea? Go and like this tea & antique shop of Nymphetamine's cute uncle.
Squee if you love Fenton
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 3:47 AM
You smuggled a banned book into China, and you came on here to brag about it (and your pixel person hasn't even returned home safely yet)? Don't come crying here when Unit 61398 is done with you and a dozen Huawei smartphones appear on you credit card delivered to someone in Tianjin.
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 6:29 AM
I say pico22's Sim comes back safe and sound, or, you know, we're keeping our options open.
Screenshots

Ronnie de Noube / Blog and Comic: http://ronniethesim.com
Do you like tea? Go and like this tea & antique shop of Nymphetamine's cute uncle.
Squee if you love Fenton
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 8:00 AM
This is real and not a mod?

Sims 3 is good! And so is Sims 2 but not when you have the CD set and you have a 64-bit system! And using Windows 8 as well!
Theorist
#6 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 8:22 AM
Nope, it's included if you have World Adventures installed. I've had it as well. Serves me right for writing the Simlish version of 50 Shades of Grey, I guess!

You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
Deception, Oil & Laserbeams: motherfucking Tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 6:30 PM
So that's why my sim couple couldn't get back home!!!

But seriously, I've had this one as well not on the couple I couldn't bring home. The ones that were stuck in China for me are now gone forever. I had to delete that game because I could never bring them home. When I tried, they popped outside their home in Twinbrooks but their doppelgangers were already in the house. I'm surprised my game didn't EXPLODE!!

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg

You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 8:13 PM
This might be OT, but I always wanted to know. While in the english version the top job for the political career is "president of the free world", I simply can't imagine that it's the same in the chinese version (and there is a number of other countries/languages I wonder about). Anyone around who could tell me?

(Don't want to discuss it, just information, please
Theorist
#9 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 9:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFake
This might be OT, but I always wanted to know. While in the english version the top job for the political career is "president of the free world", I simply can't imagine that it's the same in the chinese version (and there is a number of other countries/languages I wonder about). Anyone around who could tell me?

(Don't want to discuss it, just information, please

The people's republic of China. China is a part of the free world. :p
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 9:39 PM
Actually, if I recall correctly, it is Leader of the Free World, which would be 自由世界的领导者.

However, it should be 中华人民共和国国务院总理, which would translate as Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.

Regardless of what title you choose to address him by, if you smuggle a banned book into China, and get caught, or brag about it on a forum, you'll be screwed. In just a single Saturday afternoon, hundreds of thousands of teens are running around malls across the country with YOUR credit card info carefully imprinted and magnetically recorded on all those "gift cards" you "forgot" you handed out.

AND they'll keep your pixel person, too.

You guys just HAD to bring it up on a public forum, didn't you?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskie227
Actually, if I recall correctly, it is Leader of the Free World, which would be 自由世界的领导者.

However, it should be 中华人民共和国国务院总理, which would translate as Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.

Regardless of what title you choose to address him by, if you smuggle a banned book into China, and get caught, or brag about it on a forum, you'll be screwed. In just a single Saturday afternoon, hundreds of thousands of teens are running around malls across the country with YOUR credit card info carefully imprinted and magnetically recorded on all those "gift cards" you "forgot" you handed out.

AND they'll keep your pixel person, too.

You guys just HAD to bring it up on a public forum, didn't you?

Well, I guess I mixed it up with the German version, where "leader" (Führer) is not that popular anymore So there it's "Vorsitzender" which could be translated into "Chairman" as well as "President".
So it is 自由世界的领导者 and nothing like 中华人民共和国国务院总理 ?
Wow, look at me, posting in Chinese
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 12:36 AM
Just to happyend the story: my writer did get home safely after all.

While in China, he also poached a falcon, robbed a couple of graves, stole fruit from an orchard and had a brief but passionate affair with Sun Young Kim-Su, the general goods merchant.

This game is certainly most educational.
Theorist
#13 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 7:41 AM
I can inform that in my language it's called "Leader of the free world", at the moment I can't remember if it's translated or not. That's something that happens to me a lot, did I read it in English or Norwegian? donno ...

Section jump