Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 193 (Who?), Viewed: 38505 times.
Page 1 of 8
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 3:55 PM
Default Marijuana: Should it be legal or not?? (read all post before posting)
Well this debate is about the use of marijuana and should it be legal....

Im starting this debate just to see what people's views on marijuana is...

I will start off the post with my opinion on this subject...

AND Even though the debate forum rules say not to argue im just re-instating it in this post:

PLEASE NO FLAME WARS JUST A PEACEFUL, CIVILIZED, DISCUSSION on this subject...

So dont be afraid to voice your opinion on this subject :P
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 3:55 PM
My opinion:

I believe marijuana should be legal BUT not to be overdone (in other words it should be legal but in small amounts only, like in amsterdam)

The reason why i say this is because:

1. It can be helpful for cancer patients recovering
2. Marijuana is safer than cigarettes in a way
3. We can use this crop to help the economy get back on its feet

Ok i am kind of on both sides of this discussion so dont get me wrong.

I know most people think marijuana is super harmless or super harmful

but!! marijuana is neither one of those two: yes marijuana can lead to respitory problems and it really effects our youth which is why i say if it is legal then it should be dispensed like cigarettes 18 + only

another myth that people get wrong is: Marijuana is a gateway drug...

Yes marijuana CAN lead to other drugs.. BUT so can curiosity... even though this myth is still a myth and not a fact i cant dispel it at the time...

the last myth i will put in this post is: Marijuana is worst than cigarettes and alcohol.

Now that myth is false.. Yes marijuana has chemicals in it (so does everything else we eat or drink) but so does cigarettes and alcohol (especially alcohol lol) but

marijuana is not safer to smoke than tobacco (real tobacco grown on farms not store bought) because they both:

1. Can cause lung cancer (the smoke not the plants)
2. They both can make you lose brain cells with long term use
3. Both of them are a health hazard to kids and teens (because kids and teens are the most influenced by drugs, peers, and stuff on t.v.)


So i will be back to read the post after i take my shower and work on my new sims 3 world
Theorist
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 4:12 PM
All drugs should be legal. Nicotine and alcohol are drugs and are legal. The reality is that people who want drugs will use them whether they're legal or not. Portugal decriminalized drugs and use has actually gone down
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 4:54 PM
true true.... what most people dont know is that most drugs are already legal and used daily e.g.: coffee, aspirin, alcohol, cigarettes...

i got this quote off of a website:

Heroin, cocaine, barbiturates and street methadone were ranked the most dangerous. Alcohol was the fifth most harmful drug and tobacco was the ninth most harmful. Neither marijuana nor Ecstasy made the top 10.


here is the website link: http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vita...legal-Ones.aspx
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
22nd Jul 2011 at 4:58 PM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 5:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
Maybe selling marijuana under a strict control of the government and allowing only to have small portions would work but once people have what they want, they'll want more and more. On the other hand, once decriminalized it will probably become less popular (forbidden fruit is the sweetest).



i really agree that if it does become legal it would become less popular (i forgot to mention that in my first post lol)

but i would think a strict distribution policy would happen like in amsterdam (they have coffee shops where you have to buy and smoke the marijuana in the coffee shop and its only a small amount [not enough to get you high])

but.... the USA (my country ) has alot of teens that would not be able to handle the legalization of marijuana....

so as of the current standing right now with the teens (and adults who dont know what self control is) in USA they should just keep it illegal and use the current process as what they are doing in california
Instructor
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 5:27 PM
I can't really condone the legalization of marijuana. I'm against enforcing for possession, but not pro legalization, I don't think the state should be in the business of sanctioning a potentially harmful substance- and I do believe it harms some people, and is addictive, and can lead to mental illness in some, but neither should we waste tax payers dollars going after people for using it.

It is a thorny issue, as there are strong proponents for legalization and against.
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 5:41 PM
Honestly, I think it ought to be legal for the 18+ groups and those who have some condition where it would be taken as a medication.

I don't think such a law would really stop those who want to try it before they're 18... I mean, after all, I was smoking cigarettes for a short bit when I was 16/17 and my friend had started smoking long before that. I also know a guy who isn't even 15 yet and yet he drinks.

Certainly I am no exception. If I recall correctly I was 14 when I first tried "Mary-Jane" and found that it made me happier and more energetic at a time when I was struggling with depression. Now it makes me more mellow when in a bad mood. I don't take it very often though. It would be nice if I could get it legally.

I wanna play my Sims all night, and play em everyday...
<- Currently Simless.
Have you ever noticed that the letters f, o, and r are next to the letters d, i, and e respectively. So if you're not careful whenever you are typing the word 'for' you run the risk of typing 'die' instead.
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 5:55 PM
I say go for it. It's the least harmful out of the most commonly abused drugs. (Alcohol, Tobacco, Heroin...etc)
Quote:
1. Can cause lung cancer (the smoke not the plants)
2. They both can make you lose brain cells with long term use
3. Both of them are a health hazard to kids and teens (because kids and teens are the most influenced by drugs, peers, and stuff on t.v.)

This however, is incorrect. A study in 2006 by researchers from UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine, found there was no connection between marijuana smoke and Lung cancer. In fact, there appeared to be a protective effect:
Quote:
In a review of the research published last fall, University of Colorado molecular biologist Robert Melamede, PhD, concluded that the THC in cannabis seems to lessen the tumor-promoting properties of marijuana smoke.

The nicotine in tobacco has been shown to inhibit the destruction of cancer-causing cells, Melamede tells WebMD. THC does not appear to do this and may even do the opposite.

While there was a suggestion in the newly reported study that smoking marijuana is weakly protective against lung cancer, Tashkin says the very weak association was probably due to chance.

Cancer risk among cigarette smokers was not influenced by whether or not they also smoked marijuana.

The study itself:
Quote:
Tashkin's study, funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Drug Abuse, involved 1,200 people in Los Angeles who had lung, neck or head cancer and an additional 1,040 people without cancer matched by age, sex and neighborhood.

They were all asked about their lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco and alcohol. The heaviest marijuana smokers had lighted up more than 22,000 times, while moderately heavy usage was defined as smoking 11,000 to 22,000 marijuana cigarettes. Tashkin found that even the very heavy marijuana smokers showed no increased incidence of the three cancers studied.

"This is the largest case-control study ever done, and everyone had to fill out a very extensive questionnaire about marijuana use," he said. "Bias can creep into any research, but we controlled for as many confounding factors as we could, and so I believe these results have real meaning."


It is addictive, but significantly less so, than other drugs. As for it's impairments on the mind, research has shown this is true, but the effects wore off after 4 weeks of non-use, even in the case of long-term usage.

Ohhai dere, Mr/Mrs.Signature reader ;D look at you, bein' all creeperish.
Theorist
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 6:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsLover50
I don't think the state should be in the business of sanctioning a potentially harmful substance-


Should alcohol and cigarettes be illegal?
Forum Resident
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 6:37 PM Last edited by Tempscire : 22nd Jul 2011 at 7:04 PM.
It makes people happy while being safer than a number of legal non-prescription drugs: legalize it. Treat it like alcohol and cigarettes with an age restriction. All DWI laws would still be in effect (no reason for any new ones to be added). Remove it from drug testing employees get subjected to; make firing for it the basis for wrongful dismissal suits. Maybe even tax the hell out of it like cigarettes to get more revenue flowing towards the government. Legalize growing it in any scale operation, but require licensing for larger scale for-profit farms (same way you can serve food to your friends but have to start passing health inspections to sell to the public). Prohibition is both a failure and a waste of valuable resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsLover50
I don't think the state should be in the business of sanctioning a potentially harmful substance- and I do believe it harms some people, and is addictive, and can lead to mental illness in some, but neither should we waste tax payers dollars going after people for using it.

"Potentially harmful" is a very wide umbrella. Aspirin is potentially harmful. Cheeseburgers are potentially harmful. Cars are potential harmful. Plastic bags are potentially harmful.

Marijuana is less addictive than cigarettes (or at least the nicotine crammed into cigarettes). We shouldn't make laws prohibiting something because some minority of people might not be responsible enough to handle it or have some biological reaction to it.

To go back to cheeseburgers to make an analogy: some people get addicted to food. The abundance of fat and cholesterol in cheeseburgers when consumed irresponsibly can be harmful to some people. Some people are genetically inclined to store fat more easily than other people and the harmful effects of cheeseburgers will be more severe for them. So let's ban cheeseburgers.

And what's the point of having a law on the books that isn't being enforced? If people aren't going to be punished for smoking marijuana, why prohibit it in the first place? Or would people be allowed to smoke but not allowed to grow or sell? Which would be hypocritical and be a government sanction of the black market. Last thing the cartels need is a stronger customer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
[1] Maybe it is not that harmful as tobacco or alcohol but it is still a drug. ... [2]but once people have what they want, they'll want more and more.

1. Tylenol and aspirin are drugs. Does that magically make them "worse" than anything else? "Drug" is just a name for any chemical substance that affects the function of the body in some way. Alcohol is a drug. Why should we permit the more harmful drug just because it isn't as strongly associated with that word?

2. Slippery slope argument. As someone else mentioned, when Portugal legalized everything, they saw drug use drop. Plenty of people want to smoke marijuana and only marijuana. I don't even think it's physically possible to overdose on it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 6:45 PM
@segagrey i meant that not the smoke from the weed im talking about the smoke from what you rolled it up in e.g. (copy paper, swisher, some people even use the blank bible paper)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: administrator
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 6:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SceneKidz
but i would think a strict distribution policy would happen like in amsterdam (they have coffee shops where you have to buy and smoke the marijuana in the coffee shop and its only a small amount [not enough to get you high])


This is.... not really correct.

First of all, it's the Netherlands, not just Amsterdam, where there are coffee shops where you can buy marijuana and hashish. There are many of them in Amsterdam, but, for example, in the town I live in (about 40 minutes outside Amsterdam, and not a very large town) I know of at least 4 of them and there's probably more... They're called "coffee shops" but really, they are marijuana dispensaries - they sell snacks and drinks too, and various paraphernalia (bongs, rolling papers, pipes, etc.) but they're not really about coffee. Occasionally some of them actually do meals too but they're rare.

Secondly, you don't -have- to smoke it in the shop. You're sorta supposed to, but nobody will even blink at you if you come in, buy some, tuck it in your pocket, and leave. There are usually a few people sitting in the back partaking, but from what I've seen, at least 70% of patrons buy and leave immediately. It's not uncommon to smell it in the streets or wafting from windows. I'm not sure what the penalties are for smoking it outside a coffee shop - probably just being told to knock it off. :P

Thirdly, it is not just a small amount that is not enough to get you high (what would be the point of that?). You can buy a single or several joints at once (about the size of your index finger at the widest - they're cone-shaped), and even just 1/4 of one of those will get you -very- high. You can also buy (I think) up to 5 grams of just weed at once, which is PLENTY to get you high for -weeks-. Even the cheap stuff is -very- high quality, and unless you have been smoking it every day for 10 years, even an amount the size of an eraser tip is plenty to get you high.


(Source: I live in the Netherlands but I'm from the US. I don't smoke weed myself anymore, but I find the attitudes about it here pretty good and a decent approach to it - especially as, by the stats, less folks actually use it here than in the US despite it being legal... seems the best way to make something uncool is to legalize it.)

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
YOUR BUTTHURT SUSTAINS ME.
Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 7:07 PM
@Scenekidz I know, but after aggregating the results, I haven't found any evidence the smoke itself is especially dangerous, apart from normal lung irritation and damage from prolonged and heavy use. If you're smoking it out of something you shouldn't be, then yes you're in trouble. Otherwise, it's somewhat harmless compared to cigarette smoke. Actually that's misleading, it's less harmful than cigarette smoke.

To quote what I quoted again:
Quote:
In a review of the research published last fall, University of Colorado molecular biologist Robert Melamede, PhD, concluded that the THC in cannabis seems to lessen the tumor-promoting properties of marijuana smoke.

Ohhai dere, Mr/Mrs.Signature reader ;D look at you, bein' all creeperish.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 7:51 PM
@HystericalParoxysm first of all i just wanted to apologize for the way my brother acted on the forums the other day (Mr.Fry is my little brother)

but secondly i didnt know much about the "Coffee Shops" in the Netherlands.. i knew they sold marijuana in those coffee shops and i also knew about the snacks and other stuff that you could buy there.. (i visited there once) but i was told that i had to sit inside and smoke it and that i couldnt go outside and smoke it....

... I got a quote from wiki about the drug usage in those coffee shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the Netherlands, the selling of cannabis is "illegal, but not punishable", so the law is not enforced in establishments following these nationwide rules:
  • no advertising
  • no hard drug sales on the premises
  • no sales to anyone under the age of 18
  • no sales transactions exceeding 5 grams
  • no public disturbances
For some offenses, a business may be forced to close for three to six months, for others, completely; all this is detailed in official policies.
Coffeeshops are no longer allowed to sell alcohol. Most coffee shops advertise, and the constraint is more moderating than outright prohibitive. In a gesture of discretion still technically required, many coffee shops keep the cannabis menu below the counter, even when the cannabis itself is in more-or-less plain view. Dutch coffee shops often fly red-yellow-green Ethiopian flags, other symbols of the Rastafari movement, or depiction of palm leaves to indicate that they sell cannabis, as a consequence of the official ban on direct advertising. This aesthetic attracted many public artists who get commissions to create murals in the coffee shops and use the Rastafari and reggae related imagery.
Coffeeshops provide non-contaminated cannabis products (and hence are as safe as store-bought tobacco, as far as unexpected chemicals are concerned). Cannabis and any food products containing cannabis are generally clearly identified to prevent accidental consumption.


@segagrey

oh ok now i understand your point
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 7:59 PM
from what I have heard the only reason it hasn't been legalized here (the UK) is because the government cannot tax it, and thats it. How can they make tax from something you can pretty much grow in your own garden or under UV lights? they try to look like they have the best interests of peoples health when they say they won't leagalize it but at the end of the day it would be a nightmare for them to control the tax income made from them.

Secondly the government always listen to the do gooders who probably haven't touched the stuff but condemn it as a by product of satan and made to destroy the minds of those who use it, they hardly ever listen to those who actually speak reason and show the positive sides of it. For one, I don't think there has been a recorded death from overdose of marijuana, for second, you don't tend to get aggressive and start fights with it, unlike the highly taxable drug known as alcohol. Third it has health benefits for those with some illnesses, unlike another taxable drug that causes health problems known as tobacco. But its an endless war that if legalized will only get made illegal again whenever someone new comes into parlement.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: administrator
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 8:00 PM
It may have been that you were told not to leave if it was a very touristy place you went to in Amsterdam - nobody really like.... goes outside and sits on a bench and tokes up, but going back to a house/hotel room in which you could smoke would not be at all unusual.
Ms. Byte
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 8:29 PM
I say legalize. It's completely ridiculous for alcohol to be legal while pot isn't, when pot is less physically harmful, less physically addictive, and has valuable medical uses. The main 'danger' of marijuana IMO is the consequences of getting caught - jail time and a record have damaged more lives than the drug itself.

For myself the main danger of pot is that it always gave me the munchies something terrible and if it was legal I'd probably wind up big as a house. :D
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
22nd Jul 2011 at 8:55 PM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Scholar
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:02 PM
I'd legalize all drugs here in the states if I could, simply to get it out of the hands of criminals, place the burden of addiction on rehabilitation rather than incarceration, regulate and manage the relative safety of the product and basically phase it out by bringing it out into the open. Smoking is legal and on the decline, you could do the same thing with nearly every other drug while still not restricting access to the stuff entirely.
Theorist
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
You can overdose on everything and it depends on many factors like age, health, type of substance etc. The Polish society is too immature to be given access to marijuana and other drugs. And judging from my experience people just can't get enough. Once they're given what they want they just keep demanding more and more. I observe stupid, immoral people from my university and I cannot just imagine them getting marijuana. They behave as if they got high without taking anything!


Is it really the job of governments to save people from themselves?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:15 PM
@archamedes same thing i was told about USA

@ HystericalParoxysm probably so it was touristy there

@CmarNYC yeah i agree and i also dont understand why put a simple everyday person in jail for a plant when there are people out in the streets commiting real crimes and they dont have a place to put them because some so called "MARIJUANA DRUG DEALER" is serving in there spot..

@Wojtek you CAN overdose on marijuana but you will have to smoke your own weight in marijuana (grams) before you overdose and die... e.g. i weigh 115 pounds
(52.1631226 kilograms).... IF you smoke to much marijuana at one time lets say 5+ blunts (or 2 blunts of very strong strain of marijuana) you can/will pass out which can lead the blunt to burn carpet, or any fabric you are smoking near (if the blunt doesnt go out when dropped) than that could lead to a fire which could lead to death....
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: administrator
#21 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:21 PM
Wojtek - You can't really overdose on marijuana/hashish, actually. You'd die from smoke inhalation long before you ever reached a toxic dose of the active ingredient (and really, nobody would ever want to get that high - you'd fall asleep long before you got there anyway). It may be able to interact with certain health conditions (heart problems, asthma, allergies) to cause a lethal reaction by some other way, but that's -incredibly- rare and not really the same thing as an overdose. It's not a drug that can be directly lethal like alcohol, opiates, etc... The only way I can see it being directly lethal is if you managed to somehow distill the THC out and inject a toxic dose but -nobody does that-, and even hashish (which is more refined) or cannabis oil, the idea is to get pleasantly high, not over the moon, and again, you'd just fall asleep if you took too much and wake up feeling a bit groggy, but entirely alive.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
The Polish society is too immature to be given access to marijuana and other drugs. And judging from my experience people just can't get enough. Once they're given what they want they just keep demanding more and more. I observe stupid, immoral people from my university and I cannot just imagine them getting marijuana. They behave as if they got high without taking anything!


let me just clear this up before anybody post something!! lol

marijuana DOES NOT make the user stupid/ mentally retarded... Some people (and stereotypes of weed smokers who see people high in movies and think thats how you act when high) don't know how to control their high...

Alot of people are more creative when high on marijuana and alot of us just know how to chill when high ... But all those kids you see out there running around and acting a fool while high on marijuana are just stereotypes of the cannabis smoking community and make all of us look bad....

If you were to be beside me when im high on the drug you wouldnt even know unless you smelt my fingers, or unless i told you...
Instructor
DELETED POST
22nd Jul 2011 at 9:35 PM Last edited by SimsLover50 : 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:51 PM.
This message has been deleted by SimsLover50. Reason: clarified later
Scholar
#23 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:39 PM
@SimsLover50

Funny thing about that. You can illegalize cigarettes, and I'd imagine there'd be quite a bit of outrage. Pot is already illegal. But you try to illegalize alcohol, which has been done in the US, you get some of the most notorious and influential gangs ever to take root in American soil. I guess people really love their booze. /just sort of randomly wandering on in here

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
22nd Jul 2011 at 9:48 PM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek. Reason: No pain no gain
Instructor
#24 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekowolf
@SimsLover50

Funny thing about that. You can illegalize cigarettes, and I'd imagine there'd be quite a bit of outrage. Pot is already illegal. But you try to illegalize alcohol, which has been done in the US, you get some of the most notorious and influential gangs ever to take root in American soil. I guess people really love their booze. /just sort of randomly wandering on in here


I actually think alcohol should not be made illegal. Cigarettes seem to be thankfully dying on its own.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 9:53 PM
@Wojtek lol same thing i stated earlier

@nekowolf well welcome to our discussion and i agree with you that there would be (there already is a uproar about selling them) big uproar if cigarettes were illegal...

But i still cant get past the fact that most people hate marijuana because the government put a label on it = Illegal Drug

Most people think because marijuana is illegal it is up there with drugs like crack, cocaine, meth (im talking about the deadliness)

But alot of people accept that people smoke cigarettes and smoking in restaraunts around their kids....Even when the Surgeon General cleary (the companies basically) puts a label on the side of cigarette carton that is clearly stating: Smoking Cause Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May complicate pregnancy...

Its funny cause if people actually took the time to research they would find out how bad cigarettes are:

Random Fact: Did you know that Tobacco cause 40 percent of hospital illnesses and alcohol is a factor in more than half of all visits to hospital emergency rooms
Page 1 of 8
Back to top

Section jump