Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 16 (Who?), Viewed: 3926 times.
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:50 PM
Default Combine CC
I hear people somehow combine their CC/mods or something so the game works faster etc. Can someone tell me if this is true and how to do so or direct to the correct area ? I'd really appreciate it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 5:07 PM
Aikea Guinea has a good tutorial http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/28336.html#cutid1. The only thing you need to know is that you do not need to delete the XML files with an instance of 0000000000000 anymore since S3PE DBC import function now automatically deletes them. You can download S3PE here http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforum/index.php

Make sure you read every step of the tutorial and the related threads Aikea Guinea talks about carefully and remember to backup your mods packages folder somewhere safe so you don't lose your CC . Also remember this only works on package files, your Sims 3 Packs already get combined into dbc files when you install them in game and stores them in your DCCache folder (except those that you extract to package format using the TS3 Pack Multi Installer).

Another small warning. I have found that this does not work well with some older CC so be careful.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 5:53 PM
Alright I'll do this carefully, thank you very much
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 5:54 PM
The way I do it is having one for CAS changes, one for clothing, one for objects, and one for building materials. Mods that change game effects I try not to merge because they often need to be updated when a new patch or expansion comes out.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 6:13 PM
Yeah I thought the mods for game play such as nraas mods or awesome or any other often-needed-to-be-updated mod should stay separate. I suppose they don't take space much at all anyway. Thanks for the little information
Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 6:20 PM
After I combined most .package files (did it in a similar way like tilarium suggested), I got a very noticable speed increase in CAS. The switching between top, bottom, shoes etc used to be very slow for me.
Eminence Grise
staff: retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 6:35 PM
Or you can use Granthes's launcher http://www.modthesims.info/d/408296 . It automates the consolidation process.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 7:36 PM
I could, but I don't have any sims 3 pack files, I have turned them all into packages since I prefer them
Doilyrific Diabolical Disagreer about Water Reflections
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 7:40 PM
I'd be surprised if Grant's tool didn't cope with packages also?
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 7:56 PM
The tool I linked is for packages exclusively, in fact. Note the title: "Custom Launcher with Package Management".

There's a second version of Granthes's launcher currently in beta test which supports both packages and sims3packs... seamlessly, in a way that's transparent to the player. That's at his forums here: http://sims3.the-prof.net/Forums/in...board,12.0.html But as a non-final version it has some quirks.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 8:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
Or you can use Granthes's launcher http://www.modthesims.info/d/408296 . It automates the consolidation process.

So this merges packages without having to go through S3PE all the time? Wow, this is going to make managing custom content a thousand times easier. Thank you so much, Srikandi, for linking this!
Scholar
#12 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 6:22 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't noticed any improvement in my game after I merged the packages. I was really, really happy and surprised my game didn't exploded after I did it, but things just remained the same.

How much CC you need to notice a difference? I don't have that many Package-wise CC (lots of S3P-wise CC, though) but I do have large and complicated houses. I had something like 500mb in 300 packages and now 300mb in two packages. One package - Buy Mode - has 33mb and the other - Build Mode - has 266mb.
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 6:41 AM
You wouldn't expect to see a performance improvement from merging Sims3Packs, since the game merges them anyway That is what installing with the EA launcher does.

With packages, the issue as I understand it has to do with the number of file handles that are stored in memory. So the problem is not related to how many MB of packages you have... it's how many separate .package files you have on disk. It's when you start getting hundreds of those that you start to get issues. Specifically, windows gives each program 256 file handles, of which about 50 are used by the game, so anybody with more than about 200 package files will start noticing a performance improvement from merging. (That info comes from Granthes, who knows as much as anybody about this )
Forum Resident
#14 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 7:15 AM
What I like to do with the .sim3pack files is use the Multi Extractor Tool or I believe the s3ce (haven't tried it yet) and turn my .sim3packs into .package files. Then I merge the .package files in s3pe, but I am going to try the program that has been posted above when I plan to have a download overhaul again.

The only things I leave as .sim3packs are lots, worlds, and Sims. Other than that, I convert my files to .package files.

Also, I heard that some people don't merge their mods, but since I use so many, I do anyways and back a back up folder on my desktop.
Doilyrific Diabolical Disagreer about Water Reflections
#15 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 7:31 AM
Or you could just get real choosy about your downloads like me. I love window shopping and being in awe at what people have made, but I only download exactly what I went out to find when my game requires something. I think I still have less than 100 seperate downloads (but some of these are sets)
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
The tool I linked is for packages exclusively, in fact. Note the title: "Custom Launcher with Package Management".

Oh true, I've always been bad at reading the titles but I just assume everything by the images But it seems like there are several ways to do this thing, cool.
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 11:05 AM
I'm curious if anyone has combined all POSEpacs/lists together? Has it worked all fine?

Section jump