Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 1:24 PM Last edited by Elexis : 26th Apr 2012 at 6:17 PM.
Default Ankle seam problem - SOLVED
Hello,

I was trying to make some 3D heels yesterday and for the first time in my life I stumbled across this small but important issue: the ankle seams don't match.
The foot skin mapping is aligned correctly with the leg mapping and it's mapped within shoes map limit, so it's not it.
My biggest suspicion goes to normals, since after modifying the mesh I used Align Normals on the whole shoe and it can be the problem. The thing is, I have no idea how to make them match the ankle. Any advices?
Lastly, the whole shoe is mirrored and the mapping for the skin is the same. That means the lighting will look wonky in CAS, but I do this to save some texture space in order to make it bigger and less blurry (I'd rather have wonky CAS lighting and smooth texture in game, than normal CAS and blurry game texture). Could it be because for some reason skintone doesn't match on both ankles?

Any help would be appreciated

Screenshots

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 3:23 PM
That definitely looks like normals. CatOfEvilGenius has, somewhere, a plugin to copy normal data between vertices, so the best way to fix this is probably to import a body/bottom mesh, and copy the normals from the body ankle to the shoe ankle. I will try to find the plugin (it's on MTS, but most of Cat's plugins are sort of buried deep in very long TS2 modding discussion threads...) when I get home.

You can also copy the normals values manually, as numbers, using extended manual edit if you're feeling impatient.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 3:29 PM
Oh Whitey, where were you sooner? I used Manual Edit to copy vertex coordinates to the shoe mesh all day one by one, lol :D
What numbers there are the normals?

My Simblr - ElexisSims
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 4:46 PM
i always use Wes his tool, a musthave when editing
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=398865
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 6:00 PM
Oh, maybe it was wes' tool I was thinking of. It's so easy to get people's tools mixed up...

And, um, I'll check when I get home, if you still need to know, El . I did a lot of that with EME a while back, was mangling a bunch of CC hairs and discovered the LOD1s all had screwed up normals, so being insane I had to fix them all...

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 6:17 PM
Alright, I fixed the seams :D
The thing was, I didn't knew that Manual Edit and Extended Manual Edit were 2 different things and when I got the later one, I was able easily copy all normals from EA bottom I always like to do everything manually even when it takes waay longer to do, I feel safer when I type everything myself, lol :D
Thank you for your help guys

My Simblr - ElexisSims