Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

EA Cheap Bed Recolour Fix

by Sophie-David Posted 18th Aug 2011 at 3:37 PM

13 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 5 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#2 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 4:29 PM
Yay for sanity!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 6:31 PM
This is great!

Is this using repository? So if I recolor one, it will recolor both? And, can I delete redundant recolors? If so, which one is the Master?
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 8:09 PM
Thank you for the encouragement, Cat and Catherine.

Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Is this using repository? So if I recolor one, it will recolor both? And, can I delete redundant recolors? If so, which one is the Master?
For whatever reason, EA did not set up either bed as a master, which is the reason for this project. It would be easy enough to patch one or the other as a master, but the problem with this approach is that it would make half of the user recolours out there unusable. For example, if I made the double bed the master, then all the user recolours that had been made for the single bed would no longer be pointing to the right CRES, so they would become useless. I don't think there is any way for an object to use two separate masters with the same subset.

In answer to your questions, no these objects do not use the repository technique. Recolouring one will not recolour both, and unfortunately recolours for these beds are always going to be redundant.

However, it is good to know that any recolour you might make can be easily applied to either bed. Until this week I did not realize that the texture mapping was identical between these two beds, but I discovered this detail while working on a related project.

Inventor
THANKS POST
#5 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 11:38 PM
Awesome!!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Aug 2011 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
It would be easy enough to patch one or the other as a master, but the problem with this approach is that it would make half of the user recolours out there unusable.

I don't know how involved this would be - so, if I'm asking too much, please tell me where to go But, could you make a version that is repository with the Double bed being the master? I will gladly cull through my recolors and redo any that I desperately need to keep. If this doesn't seem uploadable - could I have it all for myself? Please? (remember: tell me where to go if... )

Thank you!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#7 Old 19th Aug 2011 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
I know I already thanked you for these but I just wanted to comment on your post! That's such a clever work around, thank you for sharing it.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Aug 2011 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
But, could you make a version that is repository with the Double bed being the master?
Catherine, I do appreciate your enthusiasm. But I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days, and I just don't feel comfortable with creating a patch which cuts off an object from its own recolours (even the built-in ones). My apologies.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2011 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I know I already thanked you for these but I just wanted to comment on your post! That's such a clever work around, thank you for sharing it.
Thank you Honeywell, I'm glad it made some sort of sense.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#10 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 4:27 PM
*sigh* OK... Thanks for thinking about it
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 8:43 PM
Well done, thank you!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 9:51 PM
You're welcome Nonni.