Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 2189 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 9:07 AM
Default Any Tips On Realistic Erosion?
I've been with CAW for a long time, but just never got to how to make realistic erosion. Do any of you amazing world developers have any tips?

"It's written amazingly well... but if you don't take out the part that says, "I don't care if you kill L", I'll die." -L Lawliet
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 9:34 AM
I don't know if I'm really "amazing," but what I recommend you do is look up real life pictures similar to what you wish to make, and use the pictures as inspiration.
Eminence Grise
staff: moderator
#3 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 10:35 AM
I used to use a 3D world program called Bryce. That has a terrain editor which can apply a variety of natural processes to your heightmap, including different types of erosion. Since it uses grayscale files, there's no reason they couldn't be imported into CAW. If you feel like going as far as picking up an extra 3D app, that is Didn't used to be particularly expensive though, dunno about now
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 1:54 PM
there are a number of apps around now that can do various kinds of effects many are either free or have a free version which is typically limited to creating output of smaller sizes, for S3 purposes you couldn't use a larger one anyway. lansderf, Terragen 1 and 2 for eg,

C'est la vie, they say, because they can't change their world, but, we can! That's why we have CAW! :rolleyes:
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage
staff: retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 4:48 PM
Bryce 7PLE is free, not sure if you can export a heightmap from that? Haven't tried Bryce in years!
http://download.cnet.com/Bryce-Pers...4-75219820.html

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 6:47 PM
I used to love Bryce! I'll have to check into the free version to see about exporting the height maps. From what I remember, it was fairly easy - a lot easier than CAW - to create realistic landforms, although its object placement capabilities (at least in the earlier versions - I was using 3.0!) were limited. If you're just using it for heightmaps, though, that's not a problem!

Section jump