Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 6:16 PM
Default G'day, MTS2
My name is Ryan, though you may call me northside.down or "North" if you prefer (I'm also known by "YellowApple" and "RyNo"). I've been lurking this site for over a year and a half, as I haven't really posted much. I don't know if I made an introduction

A Bit About Myself

I'm a computer science major at a community college in Sacramento, California, United States, and a freelance computer programmer and tech support guru. I hope to get into software development as a career. I'm also a trombonist looking for gigs.

I've recently been working on a project called GNUSims, which aims to eventually be an open-source Java-based clone of The Sims 2 that's fully compatible with existing Sims 2 custom content. It's my first ever real Java project (I'm much more experienced in BASIC and its descendants), and it's been exciting learning about SimAntics and the sheer amount of complexity of TS2. Even if I don't manage to succeed in such an ambitious project, it'll (hopefully) result in quite a bit of documentation on SimAntics instructions for the benefit of modders and programmers.

I'm also a novice cook, and an ace at inventing new snacks, especially those involving a toaster oven. I LOVE toaster ovens.

Interests
  • Computer science
  • Music
  • Gaming
  • Cooking
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 6:47 PM
Hi and welcome - I am not too sure how EA will take you making their game open source, but I wish you luck in your endeavour.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 8:12 PM
Hello! Welcome to the forums! That sounds like a complicated project, good luck! I hope you have a nice stay

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Instructor
#4 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 8:44 PM
Hey! Whats up man?! I'm fraroc or you can call me Francesco! (yeah i'm italian)

Welcome to MTS!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 10:17 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome

Quote: Originally posted by leesester
Hi and welcome - I am not too sure how EA will take you making their game open source, but I wish you luck in your endeavour.

There are two reasons why I'm sure that, even if they didn't like it, there's not much EA will do about it, if anything:
  • The Sims 2 is obsolete. The Sims 3 has been out for a couple of years now.
  • I do not have a copy of any of their source code, nor have I ever attempted to decompile their code. I'm not using Maxis' binaries at all.

For those two reasons, if EA decided to throw a fit, they can't really do a whole lot within the legal bounds of American copyright law, as I'm making it a point to not use Maxis-made content at all (adhering to the "clean room design" concept).

Really, I'm not making their game specifically open source. I'm just making a game that does pretty much the same thing. But cheaper. And on more systems. And better.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 4:03 AM
Wow, I don't think we've ever had someone post so much information in the intro forums before!

Welcome to MTS, northside down. I'm glad you decided to introdice yourself!

The GNUsims project sounds interesting, I'll keep my eye on that!
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 9:45 AM
Welcome to MTS, northside down. It's interesting to have a free and open source of The Sims 2. I'll look further for it...

Interests :
Computer science
Music
Gaming
Cooking

Music, yes!
Gaming, yes!
Cooking, YES!
Computer science, umm???
Wow, we have almost same interests, don't we?

I now working on my own free site for lots of lots. But I can't get into any HTML code. I use visual program (that's why I don't really like computer science that using codes and codes and codes. My tiny brain can't handle that). Wish me luck...

Oh, and good luck for the GNUSims project...
^_^

Hey there! :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by haricots
Welcome to MTS, northside down. It's interesting to have a free and open source of The Sims 2. I'll look further for it...

Interests :
Computer science
Music
Gaming
Cooking

Music, yes!
Gaming, yes!
Cooking, YES!
Computer science, umm???
Wow, we have almost same interests, don't we?

I now working on my own free site for lots of lots. But I can't get into any HTML code. I use visual program (that's why I don't really like computer science that using codes and codes and codes. My tiny brain can't handle that). Wish me luck...

Oh, and good luck for the GNUSims project...
^_^

I'm pretty decent with HTML and PHP. If you need help figuring things out, let me know. It's not terribly difficult to understand. Google is certainly your friend.

And thanks! I can use all the luck I can get