Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 11th Oct 2011 at 10:56 PM
Hopefully we will get more contestants .

My Simblr: Here
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 6:01 AM Last edited by ReyaD : 13th Oct 2011 at 9:35 PM.
Okaaaay lets try this out! My first contest so I'm a little freaked out but I've been doing Sims storytelling for a while now. It'll be fun reading everyone's stories and I hope we get enough people to join for the rounds to be continued.

EDIT: And for some reason I am having trouble sizing my photos... I haven't used photobucket in years and I have no idea what I'm doing. Help? Please?

Anyway, without further ado...

Promised - Round One

Fresh out of high school and my life was already over. No I’m not being dramatic (that’s my sister’s trait, not mine) just telling the truth. Ever since my twin sister and I were born with matching vampiric birthmarks my future had been planned out. Promised to the king’s youngest son as soon as I was of age... and guess what. I just reached “of age”.

There were times when I wished my twin sister Janice had been picked instead of me, but I always tried to ignore those thoughts as soon I realized they were there. She was lucky that her birthmark had faded when she was still just a baby. Not that she ever had any trouble with the boys anyway. She was nerdy, she was awkward, but she always got the boys she wanted. It was crazy! And by watching her, I began to think there was some skill involved in being a girl. A skill I had never myself mastered or even discovered.

My father was just as skilled, but in a different sense. He was the best mixologist in town. So much so that despite owning the ugliest tavern in town we were always busy... when we were open. Which we weren’t today. To my surprise he motioned me over to the bar, pouring me a drink before returning to his chores.

“Daddy?”

“Liquid courage.” He muttered. “You’ll need it today. Without a doubt Mister Stone will be on his way to see you soon.”

“Actually I’m already here.”

Daddy jumped back in shock, almost falling as the young vampire materialized on the stool next to me, book still in hand. I just fought back a giggle. Tyler Stone, my promised husband, the youngest child (out of around 12 boys and 6 girls) of the head vampire in town. We’d been born only days apart, with him being older then me. Naturally no one had told us of our upcoming marriage until we were teenagers, and he’d taken it far better then I.

He had me in his arms before I realized what was happening.

“You look lovely today, Jessie. You grew up well.”

A light blush colored my cheeks as I smiled. “As did you.” And it was true. I hadn’t seen his since we were both teens, and back then he had been as awkward and dorky as my twin sister. Now... well maybe this marriage business wouldn’t be so bad.

“I’m feeling a bit... peckish, love. Would you mind if I took a sip?”

Thats the line that always brought me back to reality. Even if I fell for Tyler, there was no way he was in love with me. I was just meant to be his first wife of dozens. A tool to feed from and give him children. I couldn’t say no but he still waited for my nod of acceptance before feeding.

I didn’t have to look to feel my father’s disapproving gaze. Not did I have long to wait before hearing his voice. “Mister Stone, I would appreciate it if you held off from... that until you are both married and behind closed doors.

Tyler took a step away from me, smiling at my father in an almost patronizing way. “Of course, Mr. Jacobs. Whatever my future father-in-law wishes.”

I’d known Tyler long enough to see the slight tremble in his arm. He was angry, but he wouldn’t dare attack my father while promised to me. My father knew this, but his words were still foolish. Any of Tyler’s brothers could attack him in his stead. It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived. I’d never have his courage.

But I didn’t need courage to take the heat off my father. Taking Tyler’s hands in mine I drew his attention back to me. “Come on, Ty. Let loose a little. It’s my birthday! Lets go out for dinner or do something romantic. I want to go on at least one real date before we get married.”

He smiled at me, the anger in his eyes completely gone. “I’m afraid we may not have time for dating. Father wants us married soon. He insists I don’t return home with the ring still in my pocket.”

“The... ring?”

He got down on one knee then and there, my heart almost leaping up into my throat when he pulled out the ring.

“Jessie Jacobs, will you do me the honour of marrying me?”

It took only a few seconds for me to realize the sick feeling in my stomach was from fear, but happiness. A few more seconds to realize the tone in his voice. It wasn’t a command. It was a question. I could say no.

“Jessie?”

His voice shocked me back to reality. Unable to hide my smile for even a second longer I put my hands on the ring box and slowly shut it. “No Tyler... I can’t. At least not yet. Please understand, it isn’t you. I’m just... too young for this shit.”

“Jessie, I’m not much older. This is the way things are done in this town! If you won’t marry me I can’t guarantee your family will stay safe.”

I wasn’t listening to him. Not really. “Tyler I’m not saying no for good. Just for now. Please understand that I just need to live first.”

---

CC used: NONE. I realize now that there might be CC out there that gives non-vampires the "bite" mark but I'm not using it. I just used the clone of a vampire character for Jessie in order for the mark to stay. I think that's okay in the rules, right?
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 6:29 AM
heaven_sent_8_18, i was wondering if we have to use screenshots. Right now i have limited time to actually touch my PC and my game needs to again be uninstalled and reinstalled. This is only for the application round though.. thanks for answering
Forum Resident
#54 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 7:49 AM
Whooooohooooooo, Go Reya :D

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Field Researcher
#55 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 2:46 PM
This is tempting, even though I know I don't have time - I looked though, and now I have ideas about how to use the excerpt running through my head. I might have to make time

I just had a couple of questions. First - when is Round 1 due? Some people have mentioned a countdown. I might be slow, but I can't see a countdown! Are we allowed to cross genre (ie fantasy/romance)? Can we use addition to family/twins in the same chapter provided they aren't related? (or can we use twins anyway, even if we choose two others?)

I'm already making plans on Sims and downloading pose things (because I don't normally do this, I don't have anything for photo set ups).
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 4:16 PM
ReyaD - lovely to have you! Welcome. Also, regarding your photos, I use modyourpanties. It's specifically for hosting pictures on MTS; you just have to have an account, which you obviously do. Much simpler in my opinion.

Quote: Originally posted by Myshia
heaven_sent_8_18, i was wondering if we have to use screenshots. Right now i have limited time to actually touch my PC and my game needs to again be uninstalled and reinstalled. This is only for the application round though.. thanks for answering

Screenshots are required. However, you CAN still enter the application round without them. You would be docked points, but there would still be 4 rounds to go (plus there are the bonuses for each round). It's up to you whether to risk it.

Quote: Originally posted by Tamlyn
This is tempting, even though I know I don't have time - I looked though, and now I have ideas about how to use the excerpt running through my head. I might have to make time

I just had a couple of questions. First - when is Round 1 due? Some people have mentioned a countdown. I might be slow, but I can't see a countdown! Are we allowed to cross genre (ie fantasy/romance)? Can we use addition to family/twins in the same chapter provided they aren't related? (or can we use twins anyway, even if we choose two others?)

I'm already making plans on Sims and downloading pose things (because I don't normally do this, I don't have anything for photo set ups).

Round 1 is due on October 22 at 7am, PST. The countdown is located on both the first post (right under the Round 1 Picture) and somewhere on the second page when I noted that I had extended this round. It blends in so hopefully my "directions" are helpful.

Crossing genres is perfectly fine. In no way am I an English teacher or publisher/editor, etc. Make it your own! Just be creative and make it interesting. If twins and new addition to the family are your only choices, whether they are related are not, they would count as the "don't mix". You can choose more than 2 of the items from the list as long as the 2 are obvious as your choices with the third being a backseat passenger. However, I would suggest that even if you chose 3, with 2 of those being twins and the addition, it would be risky. Maybe save one or the other for a later chapter?

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
#57 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 5:38 PM
Quote:
ReyaD - lovely to have you! Welcome. Also, regarding your photos, I use modyourpanties. It's specifically for hosting pictures on MTS; you just have to have an account, which you obviously do. Much simpler in my opinion.

On my screen my photos are now resized according to the page, but I'll keep that in mind for the next round. Thank you!
Forum Resident
#58 Old 13th Oct 2011 at 9:23 PM
So who else is joining this contest? I am working on something. I doubt it will come to anything, but we do what we can. yeah?

Field Researcher
#59 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 2:20 AM
I hope more people join =s. I really want to see what they can come up with

Scholar
#60 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 4:26 AM
Same here, Shhh. This is a fun contest and my first! I want more people to join so we can have a real competition. By the way, I love your main character. She's so lovely!

(Awesome. You'd better join. I've got my eye on you.)
Theorist
#61 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 4:26 PM
Another question: is photoshopping allowed? And why aren't pay contents not allowed? It's not like we're sharing those stuffs....

Well, sorry if I'm asking too much when I'm not certain that I will join, but I need to know some of these before deciding.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
Another question: is photoshopping allowed? And why aren't pay contents not allowed? It's not like we're sharing those stuffs....

Well, sorry if I'm asking too much when I'm not certain that I will join, but I need to know some of these before deciding.

As stated in the main rules, photoshopping is NOT allowed. A border is fine if you feel you must have one but that is it.

As for pay content, this contest is hosted on MTS which has a long standing rule that what you see is what you get. Whether or not you are sharing, if you post a picture with content in it and someone loves it and asks where you got it, they should be able to go download it, without a charge. This is a MTS policy.

"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Theorist
#63 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 5:31 PM
Eheh, but most paysite content can be downloaded from PSMD right?
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
Eheh, but most paysite content can be downloaded from PSMD right?

Specific Guidelines from MTS:

"MTS has long had policies that restrict users from promoting pay content in their uploads - either by requiring that content, or by showing it in screenshots.
The purpose of this policy is to promote the use of free content, as we believe that the community benefits from all items being free to download and use without requiring anyone to pay for it - whether that be paying for individual items, or by subscription. We would like all items uploaded to or shown on MTS to be "what you see is what you get" or "what you see is what you CAN get, without having to pay for it.

Content NOT Allowed
Any content that is available from its creator for pay, donation, etc. You may not picture pay items in screenshots or upload items that require pay items. Items uploaded on places like the PMBD Booty (or other sites sharing pay content for free) are not considered free content since they were originally pay - just because you CAN get them for free doesn't make them free content."

Personally, even though I know this is not an upload, by using pay content, no matter where you got it, you are promoting the use of pay content which is in opposition of MTS policies.

Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#65 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 5:52 PM
MTS is a site for free quality content. Pay content is not allowed in uploads or pictures. No matter whether you would acquire it for free.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#66 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 5:53 PM
Also, using pay content in your pictures is sort of "free advertising" for pay creators. There's no use to do so, because there's plenty of beautiful free CC around, so it's better to use free content and give that advertising to the free creators.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#67 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 6:20 PM
Also, you can get plutonium for free if you steal from the right person, but that doesn't make it a good idea, does it?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
#68 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 1:16 AM
@ ReyaD thanks, I wasn't sure anyone would like her .

@ Everyone Please join, I spend time working out my, rather random, story. .

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 1:35 AM
Shh, with the new deadline there is still just over a week to get things in so no need to worry yet. I believe I know of, at least, 2 other people joining. Possibly 4. So that would get us over halfway there.

Field Researcher
#70 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 8:46 PM
^ That's good

Forum Resident
#71 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 8:58 AM
I will probably leave it to the last minute and ask for an extension

Lab Assistant
#72 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 3:10 PM
Guys, I wanna join. Just some questions though: In case of not respecting the deadline, do we get disqualified? and, I saw that some of the applicants did not meet the 100 words per paragraph requirement... can I do that too? Thanks in advance
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by waterjay
Guys, I wanna join. Just some questions though: In case of not respecting the deadline, do we get disqualified? and, I saw that some of the applicants did not meet the 100 words per paragraph requirement... can I do that too? Thanks in advance

It's approximately 100 words per paragraph. If you want to do less, that's fine, as long as you have the picture requirements. However, you can't go OVER that amount. Also, it doesn't have to be broken up like that either. If you want 150 on one and 50 on the other, go for it. It just should be spaced with pictures and words rather than having everything in the story clumped together and then plopping the photos down.

Also, if you don't meet the deadline, you won't get scores for that round but you will be able to continue in subsequent rounds. I don't recommend this if you can avoid it because part of your score is on flow. If you miss a chapter, it might throw things off.

I really hope you have the opportunity to join! You would be most welcome.

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 4:31 PM
@ heaven, I decided I'd join and I'm currently writing chapter 1 I might not be an expert but it sounds interesting... and I think i can make my chapters in weekends, sooo...
The other one
#75 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven_sent_8_18
It's approximately 100 words per paragraph. If you want to do less, that's fine, as long as you have the picture requirements. However, you can't go OVER that amount. Also, it doesn't have to be broken up like that either. If you want 150 on one and 50 on the other, go for it. It just should be spaced with pictures and words rather than having everything in the story clumped together and then plopping the photos down.

So it's not so much about getting close to 100 words per para but more so that we don't exceed 1000 words per round? Pressumably we will be penalised points from the "rules" category if we go over but is there a system in place (like -5 for every 100 extra words) or is it solely down to the discretion of the individual judges? I don't plan to break the rules but I'm just not very good at wrapping things up quickly, lol.

I'm still working on mine but last night decided to go in a bit of a different dirrection so I've done a big re-write. Now I'm panicking about whether I can make it all make sense O.O ugh, writing is soooo much harder than I thought it'd be

One more question you say we can add borders. I'm assuming you meant like a simple black line but I wanted to clarify if I could do a different type border. Something like instead of a solid line, I fade the edges into nothing...I want use it to show memories/flashbacks. I can knock up a quick example if you're not sure.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller

Page 3 of 16