Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
mature minion
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 9:57 AM Last edited by Tee Hee Hee : 21st Sep 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Default How did they do that? - aka Building fences on the floor of pools!
I was browsing a favourite maverick builder of mine's blog recently and came across this house. Now most of it I can understand but not the fence over the hole in the pool floor like here :

Can anyone help me out, I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how they did this?

(If this is actually a pond then I'm still flummoxed but it might be more possible that way)

What makes it even more confusing is how on earth did they put that pattern of fence over the stairs too!

Edit : OK, am now definitely thinking this is a pond not a pool, I've been able to almost replicate the effect but its just how do you put fences across the stairs that I can't fathom?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 12:56 PM
If you download the lot, you can check if the body of water is swimmable. If it is, its a pool, if not, its a lake. When you work that out, we can go from there.

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 4:09 PM
They probably did it by building a pond over a basement cutout as in this image:

If you then build another basement beneath, you could use stairs to cut out the ceiling of that basement, so making it appear as under water.

The image is from this thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=430919
mature minion
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 4:31 PM
Yeah, I know all that...its the fence that confuses me!

How did they manage to build a fence across/over the stairs?

(I am very familiar with cfe and sunken basements, I've managed to replicate the effect with pool and pond but not the fencing that intersects the stairs!)
dodgy builder
#5 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 11:58 PM
Is it possible to make an object like that?

I haven't tried this myself and need to do that to be very helpful. I was thinking if perhaps building 2 basements on top of each other, put the fencing on before you make the twisted basement. Then you twist the basement with the it though.

Downloading the thing is actually a good idea.
Inventor
#6 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 8:01 AM
Since we are looking at weirdness, where is my pool floor? How do I delete this or fix it because I dont play with lot leveling, and if its a spoiler I dont mind knowing.

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
dodgy builder
#7 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 11:06 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 31st Oct 2011 at 2:24 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 3685001, 3685016
You should make a new thread on that. I can tell you it's glitching. It's usually bahaving like that if you're stretching the game limitation in the wrong way. How did you make that pool?

Perhaps a moderator can split this thread?

Edit: You make a fountain and a pool and then try to commect them to each other? Try give the game more room, like have more tiles to get the slope between them.

On Tee's problem. I now understand a bit more of this problem. I find amusing how he's not discovered how to make those basement without the stairs. I think I'm gonna stick with the object thing. It looks like Whoden's glasspyramid in a way, but he slopes them. You could try sending him a message. He did answer in one of our threads onze. So he speaks some english. If you're still working on it Tee
mature minion
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 7:12 PM
Now that I don't need the stairs there my problem is solved, my main issue was the problem of the stairs intersecting where I wanted to lay down fence; but thanks for the comments Volvenom
dodgy builder
#9 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 7:38 PM
When did you manage to put down the fence Tee? When you have got the hole there, you can't put down fence can you?
mature minion
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
When did you manage to put down the fence Tee? When you have got the hole there, you can't put down fence can you?

Actually you can, if you start on one side of the hole and drag across to the other it will span the gap. If you don't want it the whole way across then you delete the bits you don't want as necessary!
dodgy builder
#11 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 6:11 PM