Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 10:37 PM
Default Gamers Getting Warped View Of Reality, Researchers Claim
http://www.news.com.au/technology/g...9-1226142341412

Quote:
SOME video game players are so immersed in their virtual environment that when they stop playing they transfer their experiences into the real world, according to new research.

The study found evidence of Game Transfer Phenomena, which results in gamers doing things in the real world as if they were still playing.

The most extreme examples included reaching for a search button when looking for someone in a crowd and seeing energy boxes appear above people's heads.

Half of the gamers questioned said they often look to use something from a video game to resolve a real-life issue.

In some cases these thoughts were accompanied by reflexes such as reaching to click a button on the controller even when it is not in their hands.

One interviewee reported seeing a menu of topics that were available for him to think about, while another created a list of possible responses in their head after being insulted.

"We believe this is the first study to attempt to explore game transfer phenomena, and these initial findings have proved extremely interesting,” said Professor Mark Griffiths, one of the authors of the report.

"Almost all the players reported some type of GTP, but in different ways and with varying degrees of intensity. We are now following this up with a further study of a much larger number of gamers.

"A recurring trend suggests that intensive gaming may lead to negative psychological, emotional or behavioural consequences, with enormous implications for software developers, parents, policy makers and mental health professionals."

The research carried out by Nottingham Trent University and Stockholm University involved 42 interviews with frequent video game players aged between 15 and 21.

The study will be published in the next issue of the International Journal of Cyber Behaviour, Psychology and Learning.

In other news, scientists have discovered that water is wet and can be used to clean things.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 10:46 PM
In related news. http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...t-against-aids/
Quote:
Gaming has yet again helped further scientific pursuit, this time helping to break down the mystery of AIDS. Working with the University of Washington, gamers playing FoldIt were able to put together a model of the retroviral protease M-PMV, an AIDS causing virus. Essentially, the gamers of FoldIt were able to do what researchers were unable to do for years: put together the molecular structure of the elusive protein.

"The critical role of Foldit players in the solution of the M-PMV [retroviral protease] structure shows the power of online games to channel human intuition and three-dimensional pattern-matching skills to solve challenging scientific problems," the study noted. "Although much attention has recently been given to the potential of crowdsourcing and game playing, this is the first instance that we are aware of in which online gamers solved a longstanding scientific problem."

FoldIt is actually the result of work from researchers from the University of Washington, released to the public in 2008. Gamers are asked to manipulate real-world protein structures, working towards better folding techniques for more points.

Hi I'm Paul!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by perihelion
In other news, scientists have discovered that water is wet and can be used to clean things.

Really? Water is wet? What a world we live in today!

Hmm... I do sometimes think about my sims during the day. Does that count?

~123blissb

"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert Heinlein
Field Researcher
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 1:49 AM
I'm still looking for the undo button. :P

My simblr
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 2:10 AM
Quote:
while another created a list of possible responses in their head after being insulted.

Don't all people do that?

Doesn't sound like very scientific research, how can they put using game experiences to help solve real life problems in the same category as hallucinating energy bars above peoples heads?
Forum Resident
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 6:57 PM
This thread is hilarious!

Though seriously, you gotta realize these quote unquote researchers get paid every time they wipe their ass and realize how confounding it is to know how much we rely on toilet paper.

So yeah...what's new?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 8:13 PM
Well I find it funny! It's a bit over the top and unbelievable. C'mon hallucinating..... Maybe they've been staring at their stats menu so much it starts to burn itself into their retinas!

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 8:48 PM
You know, I once got up in the middle of the night because I was thirsty. I bent down to take a sip from the sink, and my first thought was "Yes! 24 HP!". My next thought was "Fuck! 6 rads!"

One S, two As.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:06 PM
Playing the sims has changed my view on life a bit...
What if were all sims and the player is god?
Think about it.
Maybe god thought it was ironic creating this game...
maybe its aliens.

www.sweetiesims.webs.com
Is looking for moderaters!
We are in the budding stage but still have some truely unique content. Please take 2 seconds to check it out.

JOIN THE NEWEST REBELIATION AGAINST SIMS 3! SIMS 2 WILL TRUELY ALWAYS BE BETTER!
Theorist
#10 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 2:01 AM
Quote:
42 interviews with frequent video game players aged between 15 and 21.

That is the root of those zany responses taken seriously. I'm sure the records show plenty of sarcastic quotes like 'My health went down 20 points as the dentist pulled my tooth.'
Forum Resident
#11 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 6:59 PM
Well that explains why I can not find the button to change my clothes.. Nor why my clothes either in a flash of light appear on me.. Though to be honest I don't think I could put with spinning as a means to changing my clothes..

On a related note that means I can stop looking for the one ring.. Or was that my daughters engagement ring that she accidentally dropped down the sink yesterday... I am soooo ~confuuusseed~ . Where is Gandalf and Elminster when I need themmm...
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 7:43 PM
Big deal. On my first day at art class, I kept reaching for the top left of the page every time I wanted to erase something.

T
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 8:25 PM Last edited by HarVee : 27th Sep 2011 at 1:25 AM.
You're playing The Sims, suddenly you must use the toilet. Oh wait, now you're acting out what you saw in the game. It all makes sense.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Banned
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 1:31 AM
^ *signature love*
Scholar
#15 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 8:41 AM
Video James are new and scary- stealing away our precious youth. I think we should form a committee, something about concerned citizens and such.

Let's all go to city hall and shout nonsensically whist holding picket signs with llamas on them. Don't worry, I came prepared. I've got an uncovered platter of spaghetti in my backpack and some spray cans of water for showering.
Ew, whats with that guy's face? ...Where's the edit in CAS button?

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 3:23 AM
i wanna be a vampire now
*pokes self*
why did no menu appear? Oh yeah i forgot I have to hold shift while doing it.
*pokes self while saying shift really slowly*
MENU, Y U NO APPEAR?

Please be advised that a noticeable taste of blood is not part of any test protocol but is an unintended side effect of the Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grill, which may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.
Instructor
#17 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
How can they put using game experiences to help solve real life problems in the same category as hallucinating energy bars above peoples heads?
Sounds to me like, playing games wasn't only thing those people were doing... -->

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Instructor
#18 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 9:12 PM
I do think many modern people are too immersed in VR games to develop proper social skills.

I do think it is only a mater of time before VR callouts are available in real life, so you can see people's names and who they are without asking.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 8:24 AM
I remember when my grandma taught me to knit. I was obsessed with it for days. I saw the loops everywhere and I imagined the lines my pencil made when I wrote in class were yarn to be knitted. This knitting thing is powerful stuff. I think there should be an age limit or something.

Joking aside, I do believe that you can over-do the gaming, and that this can have negative consequences. I know a certain teenager who flees into WoW instead of facing his real life. In his case, the problems came first. The excessive gaming is his way of coping, but it isn't helping him in the long run.
Helptato
#20 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 8:59 AM
You mean I can't gain health in real life just by picking up a medkit?

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Instructor
#21 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 12:04 PM
I can't become young again by drinking a suspiciously colored liquid directly from a beaker?!
Forum Resident
#22 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 12:37 PM
I can't clean my house by clicking on the floor and selecting "clean entire house"?
Theorist
#23 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsLover50
I do think many modern people are too immersed in VR games to develop proper social skills.

I do think it is only a mater of time before VR callouts are available in real life, so you can see people's names and who they are without asking.

Ironically, social networking sites also hinders people from developing proper social skills. Like, how many times have I been in the same room with a whole bunch of people, yet not chatting with a single one of them because everyone is busy checking out updates in Facebook?
Scholar
#24 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 4:07 PM
People tend to run from their problems using whatever it is they find to be fun atm = news.

That's not to say everyone doing any sort of fun thing ever is just being irresponsible, because that would be stupid to say. But I'd be lying if I said I never played a video game to procrastinate. If you didn't play video games, you'd do whatever it is you do to procrastinate.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
I'm sure the records show plenty of sarcastic quotes like 'My health went down 20 points as the dentist pulled my tooth.'

Oh, yeah. I really want to see that transcript... And I do hit the "P" button sometimes out of the Sims when something happens on the computer, and then I'm like, noooooooo. Don't glitch up...noooo... I didn't save!

Also I was in English one day and I randomly hit Control-Shift-C and started typing "kaching" to get more money.

~123blissb

"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert Heinlein
Page 1 of 3